Warriors 2021

15,313 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
dimitrig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Well you certainly dumped precipitation on that parade.

dimitrig has long been a Debbie Downer when it comes to the Warriors. For evidence, I'd recommend everyone peruse his comments in a 2015 thread, before the Warriors won their first title with Curry.

We'll start with "No chance. Still a weak defensive team."

I didn't realize that Love and Irving would get hurt and then they would sign Kevin Durant.

I did enjoy them getting bounced after the record-setting number of regular season wins and being ahead 3-1.

That said, I actually like the Warriors. I went to a lot of Warriors games when I live in Northern California.

I still think that Steph Curry is up there with Steve Nash as the most overrated players in NBA history.

Giannis Antetokounmpo is moving up that list, too.

All three of those guys are really great players, but they still get more accolades than they deserve.

Six regular season NBA MVPs, but not a single NBA Finals MVP among them.

sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

dimitrig has long been a Debbie Downer when it comes to the Warriors. For evidence, I'd recommend everyone peruse his comments in a 2015 thread, before the Warriors won their first title with Curry.

I didn't realize that Love and Irving would get hurt
The record is clear: you said they wouldn't even make it out of the West. This was in 2015, before they had Durant.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

The record is clear: you said they wouldn't even make it out of the West. This was in 2015, before they had Durant.

I was wrong about that.

I am sure lots of Warriors fan thought the 73 win team (some called it the greatest team ever) would win it all.

It happens.

BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I didn't realize that Love and Irving would get hurt and then they would sign Kevin Durant.

I did enjoy them getting bounced after the record-setting number of regular season wins and being ahead 3-1.

That said, I actually like the Warriors. I went to a lot of Warriors games when I live in Northern California.

I still think that Steph Curry is up there with Steve Nash as the most overrated players in NBA history.

All three of those guys are really great players, but they still get more accolades than they deserve.

You have the most wrong predictions since the guy predicted the Titanic couldn't sink. You disappear faster than Cal88 rather than take your lumps like a man, and you still come back with this? Hilarious.
BearlyCareAnymore
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I was wrong about that.

I am sure lots of Warriors fan thought the 73 win team (some called it the greatest team ever) would win it all.

It happens.

Yes, losing in the finals in 7 to Lebron James was a brutal miss by those who thought they would win it all.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I was wrong about that.

It happens.
At least the 73 win team made it to Game 7 of the Finals and lost on: (1) Steph being limited due to an injury suffered in Round 1, (2) Draymond Green's suspension, (3) injury to Bogut that caused him to miss most of Game 5, and all of 6 and 7. And also LeBron being on the other team, of course.

In 2015, the Warriors won the Western Conference Finals in 5 games.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

Tale of the tape, my friend. Which accolades did Stephen Curry not deserve?

Any All-Star appearances or All NBA selections he shouldn't have gotten? You think he didn't deserve either of his regular-season MVPs? In 2016 (the 73-win season) I'm not sure how you would vote for anyone else. In 2015 only Harden had an argument, and given their subsequent playoff performances I would say the voters made the right choice between those two. LeBron was probably the "actual" greatest player in the league during that time, but he took himself out of MVP running by deliberately missing so many games.

As for Finals MVP. I think LeBron was really the best player in the 2015 Finals, but if you had to give it to a player on the winning team it should have been Curry. Iguodala played really well, but he was not the Warriors' most valuable player in the series. That's actually an example of Curry not getting recognition he should have gotten.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Honest and fair.
I'll remind that the 3-1 collapse came after our Center went out injured and Draymond was suspended in a bogus move.
Also, it would have been nice, per your rationale, to see how the W's could have handled Toronto post KD injury pre-Klay injury. Meaning, had Klay lasted 7 games.

You say Curry is overrated, but when it's just been him, he has gone OFF. He chilled so that KD could have more airway. And why not? KD IS KD, after all! Which perhaps speaks as much to Steph's greatness as anything. The supreme confidence in self to allow someone else who's effectively a better player to come and be the MVP. Too many greats end up squabbling.

And, to digress, Lebron has transitioned to that stance, too. Kudos.

But what I really wanted to ask you is this:
So, if you don't like Steph or Nash or Giannis, you is on your all-time rotation of 8 players?
Today's rules and reffing.
concordtom
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I was wrong about that.

It happens.

Was Curry also on a bad leg in that series? I think so. Not to take anything away from Kyrie and Lebron. They are all-timers, too (as much as I dislike flat earth idiot Kyrie).
concordtom
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I was wrong about that.

It happens.
At least the 73 win team made it to Game 7 of the Finals and lost on: (1) Steph being limited due to an injury suffered in Round 1, (2) Draymond Green's suspension, (3) injury to Bogut that caused him to miss most of Game 5, and all of 6 and 7. And also LeBron being on the other team, of course.

In 2015, the Warriors won the Western Conference Finals in 5 games.

There we have it.
Thank you.
All excellent points.
concordtom
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

Any All-Star appearances or All NBA selections he shouldn't have gotten? You think he didn't deserve either of his regular-season MVPs? In 2016 (the 73-win season) I'm not sure how you would vote for anyone else. In 2015 only Harden had an argument, and given their subsequent playoff performances I would say the voters made the right choice between those two. LeBron was probably the "actual" greatest player in the league during that time, but he took himself out of MVP running by deliberately missing so many games.

As for Finals MVP. I think LeBron was really the best player in the 2015 Finals, but if you had to give it to a player on the winning team it should have been Curry. Iguodala played really well, but he was not the Warriors' most valuable player in the series. That's actually an example of Curry not getting recognition he should have gotten.

That first mvp vote was and is a great storyline.
Hard to argue against any 3 of those players.
At first, of course Lebron WAS the best player. Except for the chess move that was Iggy moving into starting lineup to neutralize him. And, again, Steph had NO problem giving the spotlight to Iggy. Once again proving Curry's off-court magnificence!
I think Curry was still on the "he might get injured and have to retire" salary at that point, too!

Steph can't rank among the great PG's for defense, or assist making. But he can take most anyone off the dribble and shoot from distance like nobody else, thereby spreading the floor for other talents to do their own damage.
It'll be interesting to see how he evolves into a spot up 3 in the senior years of his career, a role many entire careers are made of alone.

We can debate this stuff forever. In the meantime, just watch and enjoy his majesty. This current run has become somewhat insane. Last night he hit many 3's down the stretch to win the game. You can't take your eyes off it. Switch to other games and watch other players and it's like when you slow down from 80 mph to 45 mph and it appears as if you could get out and walk. Or, that you just turned on some D2 college game.
I caught the end of Nets vs Pelicans tonight. Kyrie looked the part, but everyone else, were they even NBA players? Stephortless!!! Enjoy!!!
BearlyCareAnymore
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

At first, of course Lebron WAS the best player. Except for the chess move that was Iggy moving into starting lineup to neutralize him. And, again, Steph had NO problem giving the spotlight to Iggy. Once again proving Curry's off-court magnificence!
I think Curry was still on the "he might get injured and have to retire" salary at that point, too!

Steph can't rank among the great PG's for defense, or assist making. But he can take most anyone off the dribble and shoot from distance like nobody else, thereby spreading the floor for other talents to do their own damage.
It'll be interesting to see how he evolves into a spot up 3 in the senior years of his career, a role many entire careers are made of alone.

We can debate this stuff forever. In the meantime, just watch and enjoy his majesty. This current run has become somewhat insane. Last night he hit many 3's down the stretch to win the game. You can't take your eyes off it. Switch to other games and watch other players and it's like when you slow down from 80 mph to 45 mph and it appears as if you could get out and walk. Or, that you just turned on some D2 college game.
I caught the end of Nets vs Pelicans tonight. Kyrie looked the part, but everyone else, were they even NBA players? Stephortless!!! Enjoy!!!
Let's be honest. It burns some players and fans that a relatively short, relatively scrawny guy who can't grab a quarter off the top of the backboard has merely spent his whole life perfecting the most important skill in basketball (among other skills) to the point that guys who look better and in every way are supposed to be better can't come close to stopping him. One would think he'd be admired for maximizing his potential through massive hard work. It is like not valuing Ted Williams for the effort he put into mastering hitting.

And what this year has proven is that if Curry had gone to Warriors management and told them to eff getting Kevin Durant, his stats would be even more ridiculous and he'd probably have at least another MVP. He traded personal glory for team glory.
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

Let's be honest. It burns some players and fans that a relatively short, relatively scrawny guy who can't grab a quarter off the top of the backboard has merely spent his whole life perfecting the most important skill in basketball (among other skills) to the point that guys who look better and in every way are supposed to be better can't come close to stopping him. One would think he'd be admired for maximizing his potential through massive hard work. It is like not valuing Ted Williams for the effort he put into mastering hitting.

And what this year has proven is that if Curry had gone to Warriors management and told them to eff getting Kevin Durant, his stats would be even more ridiculous and he'd probably have at least another MVP. He traded personal glory for team glory.
I suspect there's also a decent amount of resentment of the fact that he was born into an NBA family and didn't have to struggle as much growing up as many of the other guys who made it to the league. Of course, Klay Thompson comes from a similar background and seems to be universally beloved, but then again he also isn't ever in the conversation for MVP, so he's not on anyone's corner.
concordtom
sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

I suspect there's also a decent amount of resentment of the fact that he was born into an NBA family and didn't have to struggle as much growing up as many of the other guys who made it to the league. Of course, Klay Thompson comes from a similar background and seems to be universally beloved, but then again he also isn't ever in the conversation for MVP, so he's not on anyone's corner.
Some have made note of Curry's light skin tone as a possible complaint.
I think that his shoulder shimmy celebrations bug people, to no surprise. Nobody likes to be shown up.

But I think mostly it's his size. Guys want to just be able to physically dominate. That's why Lebron sneered after his block on Curry.

sycasey
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

I think that his shoulder shimmy celebrations bug people, to no surprise. Nobody likes to be shown up.
I can at least partially buy the arguments about Curry's skin tone and height playing into the disrespect he gets.

I don't really buy that it's about the celebrations. NBA players have been doing their own little celebrations for decades. Curry is far from alone here.
concordtom
sycasey said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

OaktownBear said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

I can at least partially buy the arguments about Curry's skin tone and height playing into the disrespect he gets.

I don't really buy that it's about the celebrations. NBA players have been doing their own little celebrations for decades. Curry is far from alone here.
Sure, but it's one thing if the guy pumping up the volume is 6'9" 270 pounds vs a buck 50. Dudes just want to punch that.

I will say this - I think Curry has definitely won Lebron's respect by now.
concordtom
Steph's streak died to an extent vs Washington last Wednesday, and Friday vs the Nuggets started poorly with just 7 pts in the first half. But he ended up with 32 and had some 3's at the end in order to push the game out of reach for MVP leading candidate Nicola Jokic, whom Curry also beat out in points for the night.

Basically, what's at stake for the stretch run of about 10 games is:

Scoring Title for Curry - currently slight above Bradley Beal of DC. at 31.5.
MVP for Curry - currently 3rd in online polls behind Jokic and 76ers Embiid - who Curry also beat last week.
Playoffs spot for the team.
concordtom
Warriors vs Kings at 7pm tonight.
concordtom
Fun race down the stretch for the Scoring Title.

Curry has scored 1657 points in 53 of W's 61 games so far.
The Warriors have 11 games left.

Bradley Beal has scored 1587 points in 51 of Bullet's 60 games so far.
The Wizards have 12 games left.

Curry is averaging 31.2641 pts per game.
Beal is averaging 31.1176 pts per game.

Basically, it's just under 8 pts total that separate the players down the stretch. If Curry had scored 4 points less and Beal 4 points more in games so far, then Beal is the Scoring Leader. It's going to be an interesting race between the two down the stretch.

Both teams are in 10th place fighting for the Play-In Tournament. Both play their final 2 games on the final Friday May 14 and Sunday May 16 of the season. 3rd to last game for W's happens on Tuesday May 11, while Wizards 3rd to last game is Wed May 12.

How will Curry and Beal balance needs of the team vs their desire to win the Scoring Title (which Curry already has 1 of). Also, Curry is going for MVP - if he can go off for the last 11 games like he went for that recent stretch of 11, can he win the Scoring Title, the MVP, and improve the Warriors' chances of into 6th place in order to avoid the play-in altogether?

I'm looking at this as a game by game race.
How many did Beal score tonight?
How make did Curry scoring tonight?
Curry has an 7 point lead.

Wizards play Mon-Wed-Fri this week.
Warriors play Tue-Thu-Sat...
Game by game race!
concordtom
Beal had 45 tonight.
That means Steph needs 38 tomorrow to maintain the slightest of margins.
Game on!
"And DOWN the stretch they come!"

Or said another way, now that they both have the same # of games left (11), it is Beal who leads Steph by 6.3 points.
bearister
NBA Power Rankings: The Final Countdown - The Ringer

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/26/22403238/nba-power-rankings-clippers-nets-jazz
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
Warriors last two games, back to back vs the two best records in the league (Utah and Phoenix), have been the two best of the season.
Crazy exciting finishes.

concordtom
This was the funniest pie in the face I can ever recall. Wiggins said OH SHYT live on air.
At 1:30 into the clip.

sycasey
Steph clinches the scoring title and Warriors get the 8 seed.
bearister
"The NBA enters the postseason on the heels of the most efficient offensive regular season in history, Axios' Jeff Tracy writes.

By the numbers:
The league-wide offensive rating (points produced per 100 possessions) was 112.3 this season, which broke the previous record for the third straight year.

112.1 points per game is the most since 1970-71 (112.4), and 13.8 turnovers per game is the fewest ever.

Wild stat:
The Mavericks had the most efficient offense in NBA history last season (116.7 offensive rating). This season, seven teams surpassed that mark.

The big picture:
The offensive explosion has been driven by the league's love affair with three-pointers, which shows no signs of slowing.

Teams attempted a record number of threes (34.6 per game) for the 10th straight season, while tying the record for three-point shooting percentage (36.7%).
Four years ago, 24 teams attempted fewer than 30 threes per game. This season, just three did (Cavaliers, Wizards, Spurs).

The bottom line:

The 2020-21 season will be remembered as the greatest offensive campaign in NBA history ... until all these records fall in 2022. Bring on the playoffs!

Tonight's play-in (TNT) ... No. 10 Hornets at No. 9 Pacers, 6:30pm ET; No. 8 Wizards at No. 7 Celtics, 9pm." Axios
concordtom
Makes me think that all of Steph's shooting records will be broken.
# of games with at least 10 3's.
400 3's in a season.
4000 career 3's.
Career 3FG%.
He's ushering in an entire new game by showing what's possible.

I confess, it's boring if people just stand outside and gun. But Steph and these Warriors often create so much off ball movement with confusing back-screens, back-cuts, slip-screens, and fake hand-offs, it's pretty entertaining!

Wilt and Jordan would both be like, "what the F is going on?" as they get 2 at the rim each possession but still find themselves behind on the scoreboard due to endless 3's raining overhead.

Barkley, backing down his defender in the post for15 seconds.... now THAT was boring!!
concordtom
I will laugh my A off if Curry beats the Lakers tonight. I don't see it happening, but that will be damn funny.

It almost sounded like Lebron is prepared to lose, hearing him pump up Steph as the MVP.

You know Draymond wants to beat Lebron tonight with a vengeance!! Bragging rights.

Wouldn't miss tonight for anything!
concordtom
Warriors wasted the first part of the season (at least for this season's sake) trying to incorporate Wiseman. It wasn't until Wiseman departed with injury that Curry and the team found their form. They are WAY BETTER without Wiseman!!!!!!

Same has to be wondered re Oubre vs Tosano-Anderson. That dude (40% 3's) is better than Oubre in many senses. Oubre's movement is slow. JTA is a real bargain!
bearister
Draymond Green is a dirty player and LeBron James is afraid of him.
Anarchistbear
bearister said:

Draymond Green is a dirty player and LeBron James is afraid of him.

He dared to stop the King from dunking.
sycasey
Warriors should have won that game, but got too sloppy after halftime and let the Lakers back into the game. Some rough calls against them at the end, but you have to expect that with the Lakers at home and not put yourselves in that position.
concordtom
I thought it was a hard foul worthy of a T. Draymond has done that so many times, it's clear what he's doing, and it's not playing the ball.

Of course, Lebron also plays to the refs like an Italian soccer player. But his eye did look a bit swollen or misshapen after the game so he certainly comes out with a crown on his head after hitting that "seriously?" game winning 3.
concordtom
sycasey said:

Warriors should have won that game, but got too sloppy after halftime and let the Lakers back into the game. Some rough calls against them at the end, but you have to expect that with the Lakers at home and not put yourselves in that position.

Curry has had many moments of sloppy ball handling all year. It was frustrating and costly vs Lakers, but in truth not surprising.

I suppose if he focused on taking better care of the ball he also wouldn't have so many amazing buckets that he scores.
concordtom
The way defenses have hounded Curry this year is reminiscent of a hs or college team with one guy who is far deadlier than everyone else and coach doubles and face guards him all game.

What other pros have been treated similarly?
bearister
concordtom said:

I thought it was a hard foul worthy of a T. Draymond has done that so many times, it's clear what he's doing, and it's not playing the ball.

Of course, Lebron also plays to the refs like an Italian soccer player. But his eye did look a bit swollen or misshapen after the game so he certainly comes out with a crown on his head after hitting that "seriously?" game winning 3.

LeBron's shot was that of a guy who is not a great outside shooter, but just happens to be a Champion.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.