Off Topic Board Going Forward

8,019 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree.
It could be!
But only in my fantasies, mind you!
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them.
"Don't pay any attention" works less well when certain posters start spamming the board with posts and threads.

Concordtom was "spamming" the board every day during Trump as were others. There is Democrat spam and Republican spam. So what?
Sometimes he'd have a burst of replies within a single topic (usually responding to different posts individually), but I don't think he was constantly creating new topics or repeatedly posting nothing but a Twitter link in the way BF2 or htp were.

It was him - often only him- replying to himself in multiple threads . Trump.. Trump is crazy.. Trump is a fascist. .. Trump is Hitler.. How can we get rid of Trump? .. Mussolini was hanged..can we hang Trump? Then there were the multiple Wiley Coyote assasination kits.

It was like multiple crazy stream of consciousness thoughts put into prose. I don't find posting Twitter links as looney, though it's not as entertaining as the best of Tom.
Again who cares? We all know what these threads are before reading - Republican spam or Democrat spam. Boring, mostly, but without them there would be zero posts

Oh, hahahaha.... I can't read through this even a third time without laughing out loud and tearing up. Thank you, that was perfect!!

Perhaps... Was it my detailed description of how I envisioned the plane landing and circling around to the assembled media... the exit stairway rolled up... the doorway opens, and out emerges a smiling and waving victorious Trump... cameras all rolling so all can see, there as no wires, nobody to push, no nothing... except!.... as Trump begins down the stairway, a gust of wind emerges, and blows the secret notes of Bribery and Embezzlement, written in Russian, out of his chest pocket.... he panics that they'll be blown directly to the awaiting mob of media... the evil media.... and so, as he reaches out, he oversteps and begins a horrible - horribly GLORIOUS some might say - head over foot downward crash onto the cement below, where, splat!...his head cracks open like an over-ripened Pumpkin on Halloween...blood instantly soaking the concrete, to cheers of millions watching live on TV, to cackles of hundreds viewing from mere meters away, and to the great relief of the dozens of secret service staffers standing nearby, who offered nothing but an audible "ooops". Instant death!
Trump, a grand man, se fini !!!

I was a poor English student growing up. I never had my words referred to as "prose" before. "Stream of consciousness", perhaps, yes! But never "prose!"
Thank you! I award thee a rare Star to blue your post!

I have graduated to the next level of Life. Or, at least, of BearInsider!

Great stuff . It has a Kerouac, Ginsberg, Burroughs beat vibe.
99 ways to Kill Trump could be your life's work.

By the way, what button do I press to get this into the BI HoF?
I need to print and frame this exchange on my wall!!
calbearinamaze
concordtom said:

I'll answer whatever you got.
Sorry, friend!
You can't.

htp1, please differentiate between "The Left; and "classic liberals"......if you see a difference.

Not what you or I think he might answer.

If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

The board should be shut down. It's not what it used to be nor not what we want it to be. Just a victim of the times.

You and your censorship.
calbearinamaze
Anarchistbear said:

Off topic board is a misnomer. It is a Republican vs Democrat Board- that's it. The reason less people are here is because most people have little interest in Republican vs Democrat pissing matches and don't see it as some existential battle but as a great writer said: " Two bald men fighting over a comb."

The board should be shut down. It's not what it used to be nor not what we want it to be. Just a victim of the times.
BS
Big C
Anarchistbear said:

concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Anarchistbear said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

Anarchistbear said:

There should be less moderation not more. The point of the board is entertainment which Dajo/Htp provide. When people want moderation it is to silence their enemies.

I am 100% with Anarchistbear on this (and 71% of his other ideas, as well). If you want to make this forum better, make good contributions to it. If you don't like some posts/posters, call them on it selectively, or, better yet, don't pay any attention to them.
"Don't pay any attention" works less well when certain posters start spamming the board with posts and threads.

Concordtom was "spamming" the board every day during Trump as were others. There is Democrat spam and Republican spam. So what?
Sometimes he'd have a burst of replies within a single topic (usually responding to different posts individually), but I don't think he was constantly creating new topics or repeatedly posting nothing but a Twitter link in the way BF2 or htp were.

It was him - often only him- replying to himself in multiple threads . Trump.. Trump is crazy.. Trump is a fascist. .. Trump is Hitler.. How can we get rid of Trump? .. Mussolini was hanged..can we hang Trump? Then there were the multiple Wiley Coyote assasination kits.

It was like multiple crazy stream of consciousness thoughts put into prose. I don't find posting Twitter links as looney, though it's not as entertaining as the best of Tom.
Again who cares? We all know what these threads are before reading - Republican spam or Democrat spam. Boring, mostly, but without them there would be zero posts

Oh, hahahaha.... I can't read through this even a third time without laughing out loud and tearing up. Thank you, that was perfect!!

Perhaps... Was it my detailed description of how I envisioned the plane landing and circling around to the assembled media... the exit stairway rolled up... the doorway opens, and out emerges a smiling and waving victorious Trump... cameras all rolling so all can see, there as no wires, nobody to push, no nothing... except!.... as Trump begins down the stairway, a gust of wind emerges, and blows the secret notes of Bribery and Embezzlement, written in Russian, out of his chest pocket.... he panics that they'll be blown directly to the awaiting mob of media... the evil media.... and so, as he reaches out, he oversteps and begins a horrible - horribly GLORIOUS some might say - head over foot downward crash onto the cement below, where, splat!...his head cracks open like an over-ripened Pumpkin on Halloween...blood instantly soaking the concrete, to cheers of millions watching live on TV, to cackles of hundreds viewing from mere meters away, and to the great relief of the dozens of secret service staffers standing nearby, who offered nothing but an audible "ooops". Instant death!
Trump, a grand man, se fini !!!

I was a poor English student growing up. I never had my words referred to as "prose" before. "Stream of consciousness", perhaps, yes! But never "prose!"
Thank you! I award thee a rare Star to blue your post!

I have graduated to the next level of Life. Or, at least, of BearInsider!

Great stuff . It has a Kerouac, Ginsberg, Burroughs beat vibe.
99 ways to Kill Trump could be your life's work.

I hope the Secret Service isn't confiscating BearGreg's hard drive as I type this.
txwharfrat
BearGreg said:

The spirit of this board is for Cal sports fans to talk any and all topics outside of Cal athletics.

We give everyone here a lot of leeway, so long as the terms of service are followed.

However, traffic on this board is WAY down (in terms of # of readers and posters). As a result, we're going to enforce the trolling policy more closely.

If you intentionally provoke or antagonize folks or clearly are not part of having a real dialog, you will not last here for very long. We're still going to let folks debate and argue but if it appears to be intentionally done with malice or for the sake of pure provocation, we're going to be less tolerant.

Ditto goes for those that are positing A LOT here and on the same topics. That's trolling.

Let's see if we can make this slightly more civilized and sane and hopefully folks will start to come back to read and post. Because right now, they are choosing to stay away. And that's not the purpose of what was a very popular board on BI.

Have you guys done some soul searching, or done a deep dive on why traffic is so down on this board? I am very sad to see where this board has gone now: This past year has been my least enjoyable on here over the 20+ years I have been a part of this community.
concordtom
bearup said:

Anarchistbear said:

Off topic board is a misnomer. It is a Republican vs Democrat Board- that's it. The reason less people are here is because most people have little interest in Republican vs Democrat pissing matches and don't see it as some existential battle but as a great writer said: " Two bald men fighting over a comb."

BS

"This board is not what it used to be".

Oh, you mean when OT was merely the graveyard dumping ground for Growls or Hoops posts that went strangely sideways?

Entire threads would just disappear and nobody knew why. Then you'd find them reappearing in this strange section called Off Topic, and since nobody ever visited OT land, the threads would suffer a death of starvation.

I agree, though - BI could have a new board:
OT: politics
To go along with all other OT stuff on the OT board.
calbearinamaze
Why are you replying to my post?
going4roses
Anarchistbear said:

Interesting take … that's what your vantage point shows you?
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
concordtom
You were replying to the anarchist's post and I was adding to your reply.
Perhaps I should have replied to his directly. Sorry for confusion I may have caused.
dajo9
txwharfrat said:

BearGreg said:

The spirit of this board is for Cal sports fans to talk any and all topics outside of Cal athletics.

We give everyone here a lot of leeway, so long as the terms of service are followed.

However, traffic on this board is WAY down (in terms of # of readers and posters). As a result, we're going to enforce the trolling policy more closely.

If you intentionally provoke or antagonize folks or clearly are not part of having a real dialog, you will not last here for very long. We're still going to let folks debate and argue but if it appears to be intentionally done with malice or for the sake of pure provocation, we're going to be less tolerant.

Ditto goes for those that are positing A LOT here and on the same topics. That's trolling.

Let's see if we can make this slightly more civilized and sane and hopefully folks will start to come back to read and post. Because right now, they are choosing to stay away. And that's not the purpose of what was a very popular board on BI.

Have you guys done some soul searching, or done a deep dive on why traffic is so down on this board? I am very sad to see where this board has gone now: This past year has been my least enjoyable on here over the 20+ years I have been a part of this community.

Your condescension and pretentiousness is overwhelming. You should do some real soul searching on that.
bearister
This may help him feel better:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Eastern Oregon Bear
dajo9 said:

txwharfrat said:

BearGreg said:

Your condescension and pretentiousness is overwhelming. You should do some real soul searching on that.
Hey, that's harsh! After all, this board is all about him.
calbearinamaze
concordtom said:

You were replying to the anarchist's post and I was adding to your reply.
Perhaps I should have replied to his directly. Sorry for confusion I may have caused.
Thanks.

*I'm not a member of the

OMG. The sky is falling. Let's trash the whole thing Club (n might = 2)

*Your idea of having a separate OT Politics Board is done on GopherHole of
the University of Minnesota, I'd post some of the better (or worse) examples of name-calling
there but I'd get rightfully hammered
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
prospeCt
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/dec/09/lina-wertmuller-obituary

Big C
That was a great song! Underrated period for music, imo. There was a lot of good stuff going on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.