Stock Market

55,186 Views | 801 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by DiabloWags
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

A poster has made previous comments that the S&P could go down 50% and it would be no "biggie".
Just the other day, they posted that the S&P was simply back to March 2021 levels. No biggie.
But that's a terribly simplistic view of the equity market.

What he doesnt seem to have a clue about is that nearly $900 Billion came into exchange traded and long-only funds in 2021. As a result, the current decline will be having a generational impact.

I think he was speaking to the impact on his personal finances not on those of others. I too wouldn't be troubled by a massive drop in the market purely from a personal net worth perspective because I'm cash heavy, but there would be knock on effects that I do care about - primarily impact on my current and future business prospects.

I think dimitrig was really talking about proper personal finance practices. If you have money in the market it should be for long term investing. If you need liquidity over a shorter horizon then say 3-5 years, the equity market it's the the best vehicle. I don't think you would disagree with that sentiment. People who have short term liquidity issues impacted by a market downturn have taken on more risk than they should have, basically by definition.
dimitrig
Unit2Sucks said:

DiabloWags said:

A poster has made previous comments that the S&P could go down 50% and it would be no "biggie".
Just the other day, they posted that the S&P was simply back to March 2021 levels. No biggie.
But that's a terribly simplistic view of the equity market.

What he doesnt seem to have a clue about is that nearly $900 Billion came into exchange traded and long-only funds in 2021. As a result, the current decline will be having a generational impact.

I think he was speaking to the impact on his personal finances not on those of others. I too wouldn't be troubled by a massive drop in the market purely from a personal net worth perspective because I'm cash heavy, but there would be knock on effects that I do care about - primarily impact on my current and future business prospects.

I think dimitrig was really talking about proper personal finance practices. If you have money in the market it should be for long term investing. If you need liquidity over a shorter horizon then say 3-5 years, the equity market it's the the best vehicle. I don't think you would disagree with that sentiment. People who have short term liquidity issues impacted by a market downturn have taken on more risk than they should have, basically by definition.

Exactly.

Why do I care if some hedge funds and overseas investors bought at the top of the market?

In fact, it was that money pouring in from retail investors that was helping pushing prices to unreasonable multiples.
dajo9
Dumb money frequently gets clobbered and that is unfortunate. Except when said dumb money has invested in a fraud like crypto. That is funny.
American Vermin
dajo9
This is exactly how I would expect this guy to look
American Vermin
dajo9
Direct hit incoming
American Vermin
dajo9
With Quantitative Tightening (QT) now ongoing, Treasuries are on fire and pushing yields sharply lower (the opposite of what Wall Street conventional wisdom would predict). The counter to my post will be that Treasuries are going up because the chances of recession are going up. My counter to that will be, yes Quantitative Tightening and higher Fed Funds rate are growth reducing policies, which is why it should be easy to predict that a higher Fed Funds rate and QT will result in a flight to safety and lower interest rates (just as QT eventually did last time around). I don't know why Wall Street conventional wisdom doesn't understand this but I hope lots of Treasury shorts are getting absolutely wrecked.

The idea that the Fed is suppressing interest rates to keep government debt payments down is a hoax. The Fed is the tail, not the dog.
American Vermin
bearister

Data: S&P Dow Jones Indices. Chart: Nicki Camberg/Axios

S&P 500 Has Worst First Half Since 1970 Is No Indicator for Second Half - Bloomberg

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-30/brutal-first-half-for-s-p-500-has-little-bearing-on-the-future
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags
One of the near term issues that is massive in nature is that earnings forecasts for the back half havent really budged, and I suspect that is the next shoe to drop.

Over the past week or so, tech analysts have been rushing to slash estimates, but they cant move fast enough with Q2 earnings announcements coming out shortly.

Case in point: Micron reported last Thursday afternoon. Their May quarter results were fine. But guidance was not. Their $7.2 Billion rev forecast for its August quarter was $2 BILLION BELOW STREET ESTIMATES.

In other news, Atlanta GDPNow collapsed to - 2.1% on Friday after the ISM number came out.

Given the collapse in yields over the past 2 weeks (especially in the 2 year yield which serves as a real-time Proxy for Fed pivots), one could make a case that the next 75 basis rate hike in Fed Funds by the Fed in July will be the last tightening move for awhile.

The 2 year yield typically peaks at or before, a Fed tightening cycle peaks.
Moreover, it peaks ABOVE where the policy rate winds up actually topping out.

Food for thought.
oski003
DiabloWags said:

One of the near term issues that is massive in nature is that earnings forecasts for the back half havent really budged, and I suspect that is the next shoe to drop.

Over the past week or so, tech analysts have been rushing to slash estimates, but they cant move fast enough with Q2 earnings announcements coming out shortly.

Case in point: Micron reported last Thursday afternoon. Their May quarter results were fine. But guidance was not. Their $7.2 Billion rev forecast for its August quarter was $2 BILLION BELOW STREET ESTIMATES.

In other news, Atlanta GDPNow collapsed to - 2.1% on Friday after the ISM number came out.

Actually, stocks were driven downward in q2 by lowered q2 forecasts. Not sure how anybody with a Cal degree missed this. Shocking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/amazon-earnings-q1-2022-1235137502/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/06/02/microsoft-lowers-guidance-for-q4.html
DiabloWags
DiabloWags said:

Lisa Shallett of Morgan Stanley Asset Managment quantifies the blind spot.

"We find such resilience by markets and obstinance by analysts to reflect (rising recession probability) in their forecasts as a risk that could cost equity investors another 5 - 10%.

Until 12 month forward earnings estimates fall 5% to 10%, the bear market isnt over, she adds.

To this point of obstinance by the analyst community, analysts expect S&P 500 earnings to grow by about 11% year over year in both the third and fourth quarters.

dajo9
DiabloWags said:

DiabloWags said:

"We find such resilience by markets and obstinance by analysts to reflect (rising recession probability) in their forecasts as a risk that could cost equity investors another 5 - 10%.

Until 12 month forward earnings estimates fall 5% to 10%, the bear market isnt over, she adds.

To this point of obstinance by the analyst community, analysts expect S&P 500 earnings to grow by about 11% year over year in both the third and fourth quarters.

Eventually the analysts will have to come around to reality but I don't think this is a time to pay any attention to earnings estimates as it relates to stock prices. This is a liquidity driven market. The Fed is driving the stock market down. It doesn't matter to me whether you call it declining earnings or declining earnings multiples. There is no number of earnings estimates at which I would think, ok, the market has declined enough - the offset would just be found in the earnings multiple. The signals will come from the Fed.
American Vermin
dajo9
As of right now, the 10 year Treasury rate has declined by 68 basis points in less than a month and is now inverted against the 2 year Treasury (another recession indicator)
American Vermin
dajo9
Oil is down about 20% from recent highs but retail gas is only down 5%, which means crack spreads (which some would argue is a measure of how much the American people are being gouged) are continuing to increase into record territory.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

Oil is down about 20% from recent highs but retail gas is only down 5%, which means crack spreads (which some would argue is a measure of how much the American people are being gouged) are continuing to increase into record territory.
One upside to recession fears is lower oil prices. Of course, it won't stop the price gouging by the retail gas cartels in the US. I doubt anyone who thinks all we need to do is increase domestic production to lower prices at the pump will connect the dots.
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

Short-Term Energy Outlook - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

DiabloWags said:

Eventually the analysts will have to come around to reality but I don't think this is a time to pay any attention to earnings estimates as it relates to stock prices. This is a liquidity driven market. The Fed is driving the stock market down. It doesn't matter to me whether you call it declining earnings or declining earnings multiples. There is no number of earnings estimates at which I would think, ok, the market has declined enough - the offset would just be found in the earnings multiple. The signals will come from the Fed.

I've always maintained that the stock market will reverse from a Bear Market when it is able to rally on bad data. That's been the historical pattern. I just dont think we are there yet. And if analysts are still in LaLa Land about their earnings estimates, then that just sets up market participants for more disappointment.

It would appear that most posters here are not stock specific and are involved in investments that simply track the broad market indexes. To this point, I would think it would be helpful to know what the best Bear Case is (averting a recession and a -20% decline in earnings) vs the base Bear Case where the economy does go into a Recession.

I find it helpful to understand that the S&P (FactSect) showed EPS of $205.63 in 2021.
And the Street is looking for $237.53 for 2022.

Imagine that?

The Street is looking for an increase of 15.6% in earnings during a period where inflation is gonna hammer margins, where we have the biggest fiscal drag since WW2 and the Fed is tightening aggressively. Gee, what could go wrong?

A 20% cut to EPS would send that $237 number down to $190.

At 3900 SPX, the market is trading at 20.5x forward eps.
Hmmmm....

oski003
DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

DiabloWags said:

DiabloWags said:

I've always maintained that the stock market will reverse from a Bear Market when it is able to rally on bad data. That's been the historical pattern. I just dont think we are there yet. And if analysts are still in LaLa Land about their earnings estimates, then that just sets up market participants for more disappointment.

It would appear that most posters here are not stock specific and are involved in investments that simply track the broad market indexes. To this point, I would think it would be helpful to know what the best Bear Case is (averting a recession and a -20% decline in earnings) vs the base Bear Case where the economy does go into a Recession.

I find it helpful to understand that the S&P (FactSect) showed EPS of $205.63 in 2021.
And the Street is looking for $237.53 for 2022.

Imagine that?

The Street is looking for an increase of 15.6% in earnings during a period where inflation is gonna hammer margins, where we have the biggest fiscal drag since WW2 and the Fed is tightening aggressively. Gee, what could go wrong?

A 20% cut to EPS would send that $237 number down to $190.

At 3900 SPX, the market is trading at 20.5x forward eps.
Hmmmm....

The market rallied this week, going up nearly 4% with the NASDAQ going up 6%. How long will this rally last?
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

Eventually the analysts will have to come around to reality but I don't think this is a time to pay any attention to earnings estimates as it relates to stock prices. This is a liquidity driven market.

I disagree.

The first leg down was liquidity driven.
The realization that the Fed was not just gonna "talk" up rates, but actually embark on a tightening cycle.

The second leg down will occur when market participants realize that earnings will be nowhere near where the Street consensus is.
dajo9
I tell you what. I went shopping today and the Biden economy still appeared to be booming despite high prices and Fed activity.
American Vermin
DiabloWags
Pretty violent collapse in the oil sector in just one month (-27%)
Tested the 200 day MA on Wednesday and bounced.

Unit2Sucks
meanwhile gas prices haven't budged and conservatives still think "energy independence" whatever that means will somehow result in lower prices at the pump.
DiabloWags
Unit2Sucks said:

meanwhile gas prices haven't budged and conservatives still think "energy independence" whatever that means will somehow result in lower prices at the pump.

They have been moving lower here in the Bay Area (finally).
Down .30 cents from the high.

oski003
DiabloWags said:

Unit2Sucks said:

They have been moving lower here in the Bay Area (finally).
Down .30 cents from the high.

Same here. Went from just under $7 to
$6.
dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

Gas prices have dropped about 6% nationally in less than a month and the trend is precipitous.
American Vermin
82gradDLSdad
Unit2Sucks said:

Just paid $5.69 here in Concord. Was over $6 a month or so ago.
Unit2Sucks
Great to hear. I'm in Truckee at the moment and it's still just below $7 for regular, which is what it's been for a few weeks.

I think this has been posted in other forms, but in August 2013, WTI was the same price per barrel as it currently is, yet prices at the pump were $1.30 lower nationally. We should be seeing another $1 drop in prices over the next few months and that's without seeing a drastic downward move in the price of oil. Given that it's likely oil drips well below $100, we could be looking at prices more like $4.50 in California come this fall.
DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Where did you pay $5.69 at?
Regular at Costco?

I see that Premium at ARCO AM/PM on Monument Blvd is at $6.19

dajo9
https://gasprices.aaa.com/
American Vermin
82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Where did you pay $5.69 at?
Regular at Costco?

I see that Premium at ARCO AM/PM on Monument Blvd is at $6.19

Don's on Port Chicago. It's hidden away and it's usually the cheapest around. I'm keeping a close watch on my mileage and how my car runs. Seems too good to be true.
Unit2Sucks
Thought this was funny. Now that prices are dropping, conservatives are still trying to turn it into an attack on Biden.

DiabloWags
THAT'S PRETTY FUNNY!

These people have no idea how the energy market works, let alone for refined products.
They really should just keep their mouths shut.

DiabloWags
82gradDLSdad said:

Don's on Port Chicago. It's hidden away and it's usually the cheapest around. I'm keeping a close watch on my mileage and how my car runs. Seems too good to be true.
Both my cars take Premium.

I either go to Arco AM/PM or a nearby Valero station that seems to match the AM/PM prices.
You should ask the guy at Don's what refiner they get their gas from.
They should be able to tell you.
82gradDLSdad
DiabloWags said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Both my cars take Premium.

I either go to Arco AM/PM or a nearby Valero station that seems to match the AM/PM prices.
You should ask the guy at Don's what refiner they get their gas from.
They should be able to tell you.

Don's has premium. I wouldn't know a good refiner from a bad. If my car runs smoothly and the gas mileage stays the same I'm good. So far so good. We have two 2018 Mazda 3s. I drive like the old man I am.
DiabloWags
Dow indicated - 600

SPX indicated - 72

Gold - $34.00

Silver -1.00

WTI - $5.00

JPM reported a wider than expected drop in Q2 profit of 28%
MS missed analyst expectations.

Jamie Dimon says that the "consumer is in good shape"

Unit2Sucks
DiabloWags said:

Jamie Dimon says that the "consumer is in good shape"

The media is all doom and gloom, but are people really suffering compared to past periods? Doesn't seem that way to me.

As much as Republicans want to paint this economy as poor for individuals, it isn't clear that people are actually doing poorly. Sure, gas prices are tough for working class and poor people, but we are at full employment (3.6% unemployment, 372k jobs added in June) and personal balance sheets are stronger now than before the pandemic. People are better positioned to weather a minor recession than they have been in any recession in decades (possibly ever).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.