Bidenomics

51,902 Views | 771 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by dajo9
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

A lot of mixed signals.

What concerns me are the low bookings and backlog are trending. PMI still below 50 indicating continuing contraction in manufacturing. Longest period of contraction since 2001. Pricing power weakening, impacting margins in guidance provided in Q3. China's economy is still in danger: We will see more during the upcoming earnings season when companies will set initial guidance for 2024.
What do you make of the boom in manufacturing construction? A lot of credit to the CHIPS Act (which I know you have commented favorably on) as well as the infrastructure law.

My guess would be surge in tech manufacturing, especially semiconductors. Also potentially EV related by OUS companies for tax purposes. Outside of tax incentives. I am not seeing uptick of capex. Are you? You are probably closer to the tech industry.
I don't pay much attention to hardware tech since it's not particularly relevant to me. So I don't really have much insight into manufacturing.

Software continues to be challenging and I suspect will remain so until interest rates start moving down.

If the Fed does do 3 or more interest rate reductions in 2024, as many expect, that could provide a nice tailwind to the economy, but even without that things seem pretty stable. A lot of "kitchen table" pricing issues are resolving themselves. People who want to discredit Biden and democrats like to focus on small dollar items like eggs and milk, but energy prices have come back down (gas is about $3 per gallon now, same as 2018) and the increase in mortgage rates is mitigated by the fact that so many people refinanced during the ZIRP period that preceded the Fed's recent cycle.

The market is priced for perfection and the FED aggressively lowering interest rate. What FED does will depend on employment rate and wage inflation. People talk about soft landing. We may still get it but we have not landed yet. A lot of mixed signals.
bear2034
dajo9 said:

Another booming Bidenomics jobs report today. Unemployement holds at 3.7% extending the record for months below 4%. Wage gains at 4.1% (continuing their run above inflation).

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/05/jobs-report-december-2023-payrolls-increased-by-216000-in-december.html

dajo, what's going on? did they double count again? help us understand.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

A lot of mixed signals.

What concerns me are the low bookings and backlog are trending. PMI still below 50 indicating continuing contraction in manufacturing. Longest period of contraction since 2001. Pricing power weakening, impacting margins in guidance provided in Q3. China's economy is still in danger: We will see more during the upcoming earnings season when companies will set initial guidance for 2024.
What do you make of the boom in manufacturing construction? A lot of credit to the CHIPS Act (which I know you have commented favorably on) as well as the infrastructure law.

My guess would be surge in tech manufacturing, especially semiconductors. Also potentially EV related by OUS companies for tax purposes. Outside of tax incentives. I am not seeing uptick of capex. Are you? You are probably closer to the tech industry.
I don't pay much attention to hardware tech since it's not particularly relevant to me. So I don't really have much insight into manufacturing.

Software continues to be challenging and I suspect will remain so until interest rates start moving down.

If the Fed does do 3 or more interest rate reductions in 2024, as many expect, that could provide a nice tailwind to the economy, but even without that things seem pretty stable. A lot of "kitchen table" pricing issues are resolving themselves. People who want to discredit Biden and democrats like to focus on small dollar items like eggs and milk, but energy prices have come back down (gas is about $3 per gallon now, same as 2018) and the increase in mortgage rates is mitigated by the fact that so many people refinanced during the ZIRP period that preceded the Fed's recent cycle.

The market is priced for perfection and the FED aggressively lowering interest rate. What FED does will depend on employment rate and wage inflation. People talk about soft landing. We may still get it but we have not landed yet. A lot of mixed signals.

I would set aside the pricing of the stock market since that may directionally indicate how well the broader economy is doing but it's not a perfect correlation. I think it's a pretty good indicator of how capital is doing.

As for "mixed signals," given the number of signals and the complexity of the global economy, won't that always be the case? I'm not sure if you are saying that 10% of the important signals give you pause or some much more significant number. I haven't heard anything that would indicate we are at risk of a near-term recession or that the Fed is overly concerned about the trajectory. That's what is causing them to discuss lowering rates multiple times this year.

So while I'm not going to ask you to read a crystal ball, I'm genuinely curious if you think we are likely to not have a soft landing. Based on all of the fear-mongering over the past year plus of interest hikes, we seem to be weathering the storm about as well as the most favorable predictions hoped for. We've seen significant employment gains, relatively few bankruptcies or mortgage delinquencies, etc. The economy is never perfect but it's about as strong as anyone could have hoped for when we were experiencing high inflation ~18 months ago.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

A lot of mixed signals.

I would set aside the pricing of the stock market since that may directionally indicate how well the broader economy is doing but it's not a perfect correlation. I think it's a pretty good indicator of how capital is doing.

As for "mixed signals," given the number of signals and the complexity of the global economy, won't that always be the case? I'm not sure if you are saying that 10% of the important signals give you pause or some much more significant number. I haven't heard anything that would indicate we are at risk of a near-term recession or that the Fed is overly concerned about the trajectory. That's what is causing them to discuss lowering rates multiple times this year.

So while I'm not going to ask you to read a crystal ball, I'm genuinely curious if you think we are likely to not have a soft landing. Based on all of the fear-mongering over the past year plus of interest hikes, we seem to be weathering the storm about as well as the most favorable predictions hoped for. We've seen significant employment gains, relatively few bankruptcies or mortgage delinquencies, etc. The economy is never perfect but it's about as strong as anyone could have hoped for when we were experiencing high inflation ~18 months ago.

Typically, trends are somewhat consistent. Here we have a bunch of bad future trends- lower booking and backlog levels indicating lower growth in revenues, lower manufacturing with PMI below 50 once again, low CFO confidence levels, historically high consumer and corporate debt levels in high interest environment that will eat into disposable income, historical reliance on growing China market no longer available, and decreasing job posting with lower attrition and lower wage growth. But then you see disinflation and even deflation in certain areas without generally required spike in unemployment and you are also seeing growing economy with heavy consumer spending. As you know, GDP growth requires debt and/or innovation resulting in higher labor efficiency. For now, most of the growth is coming from increasing debt levels in a high interest environment. Labor efficiency is still lower than historical levels, meaning employers will be looking for more efficiency from workers as debt capacity hits a ceiling. I think continuing lack of attrition will lead to further pressure on wage and higher unemployment, with high debt payments eventually eating into consumer spending and confidence. So I think there is a lot of downside risk not really priced in to the stock market, with market performance also impacting consumer and CFO confidence . Soft landing is not black and white. I think growth rate will decrease and unemployment rate will increase but I think the economy will be mostly stable. So I am still hopeful for a moderate soft landing but there is still risk remaining that I think will heavily determine the election depending on how it goes. That's as much as I would dare to predict. In the long run, however, I would continue to bet on the US economy.
Lets Go Brandon
dajo9 said:

By 2023 all the lost Covid jobs had already been restored. Biden created more jobs in 2023 than Trump created in any year of his Presidency.

Biden is the best President of our lifetime

LFPR is the Labor Force Participation Rate

dajo9
CPI ex Shelter was negative 0.4% in December and up only 1.8% year over year. Shelter is a lagged indicator as leases catch up to market rates. Year over year Shelter was up 6.2% in December. In November Shelter was up 6.5%.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
dajo9
Farm incomes through the roof under President Biden.
https://www.threads.net/@blueinredal/post/C2H5dvALzeI/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
oski003
dajo9 said:

Farm incomes through the roof under President Biden.
https://www.threads.net/@blueinredal/post/C2H5dvALzeI/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

USDA Forecasts Sharpest Decline in U.S. Farm Income in History

https://www.agriculture.senate.gov/newsroom/minority-blog/usda-forecasts-sharpest-decline-in-us-farm-income-in-history

I am not sure what to make of this. Farms enjoyed huge subsidies, rolled out under the Trump administration as tarrifs and covid hit. Now that income spiked and is projected to plummet again, is the link just a call for more subsidies or is it all bogus data?
dajo9
A record 23% drop in farm incomes would still leave income 25% higher than under Traitor Trump (in real inflation adjusted terms). A lot of the inflation consumers experienced was just businesses taking profits. Under Traitor Trump, farmers got welfare because of his ineffective trade policies.
oski003
dajo9 said:

A record 23% drop in farm incomes would still leave income 25% higher than under Traitor Trump (in real inflation adjusted terms). A lot of the inflation consumers experienced was just businesses taking profits. Under Traitor Trump, farmers got welfare because of his ineffective trade policies.

There is a pretty clear graph at the top of my link that shows the dip in farm income in 2016 with it steadily rising and then spiking in 2021 and dropping in 2023 with the article forecasting further drops in 2024. It does appear farms have taken larger profits in the current environment.
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

There is a pretty clear graph at the top of my link that shows the dip in farm income in 2016 with it steadily rising and then spiking in 2021 and dropping in 2023 with the article forecasting further drops in 2024. It does appear farms have taken larger profits in the current environment.

Yes, the data is the same in both our charts. What I said is true in both our charts.
dajo9
Biden anti-trust team wins another one. Best anti-trust Presidency in our lifetimes.
https://www.threads.net/@potus/post/C2LexN5r_Gn/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Unit2Sucks
Joe did that.

dajo9
Just as Traitor Trump predicted the stock market is crashing under President Biden.
https://www.threads.net/@sammyhsieh/post/C2TNzueSlW5/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Oh, that's the Chinese stock market. The S&P 500 hit a record high today.
bear2034
Didn't the stock market hit record highs prior to the Gobal Financial Crisis of 2008?
dajo9
bear2034 said:

Didn't the stock market hit record highs prior to the Gobal Financial Crisis of 2008?

Are you predicting a crash? When? Why?
bear2034
dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

Are you predicting another bull run despite an inverted yield curve, recent bank failures, high prices, increased government spending, and rising consumer debt?
dajo9
bear2034 said:

dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

Are you predicting another bull run despite an inverted yield curve, recent bank failures, high prices, increased government spending, and rising consumer debt?

Wow. Very intelligent. Very. Intelligent.
oski003
dajo9 said:

Just as Traitor Trump predicted the stock market is crashing under President Biden.

Small business got crushed.
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

Wow. That sounds bad. Please share with me your data.
bear2034
dajo9 said:

oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/26/business/economy/small-business-recession.html

It is incredibly prevalent in my industry, myself as a supplier and my customers who are getting gobbled up by chains. There has been an incredible amount of consolidation in the past 3 years.
dajo9
bear2034 said:

dajo9 said:

Going to Babylon Bee isn't exactly helping you here
dajo9
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/26/business/economy/small-business-recession.html

It is incredibly prevalent in my industry, myself as a supplier and my customers who are getting gobbled up by chains. There has been an incredible amount of consolidation in the past 3 years.

I asked for data not a paywall article with an 18 month old headline. The stock market didn't set a record 18 months ago. It set a record today. What's your data? What's your argument?
oski003
dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

I asked for data not a paywall article with an 18 month old headline. The stock market didn't set a record 18 months ago. It set a record today. What's your data? What's your argument?

Read the article. Let me know if you have questions. I am sure you can figure it out.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

oski003 said:

dajo9 said:

Read the article. Let me know if you have questions. I am sure you can figure it out.
I'm blocked by the paywall for that article too. However, the fact that it mentions a recession in the link tells me it's not too relevant now when we aren't having a recession.
oski003
After Enduring a Pandemic, Small Businesses Face New Worries
It has been a tough few years for companies without the scale to cruise through disruption. Making money isn't getting any easier.

America's small businesses can't catch a break.

After two years of shutdowns and restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic, they're straining to keep up with price increases without losing customers to larger competitors. They are struggling to keep positions filled as competition for workers remains at a fever pitch. And just at the moment that many business owners begin to recover and shore up their depleted savings, they're worried that the Federal Reserve's medicine for inflation will bring fresh hardship: higher borrowing costs and timid consumers.

Surveys show that small-business sentiment has taken a markedly pessimistic turn in recent months even more so than that of professional forecasters and of corporate executives.

In June, the National Federation of Independent Business measured its lowest reading ever for economic expectations. The nonprofit Small Business Majority, in a survey in mid-July, found that nearly one in three small businesses couldn't survive for more than three months without additional capital or a change in business conditions. The U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Small Business Index for the second quarter showed that inflation had skyrocketed to the top of owners' concerns. Seventy-five percent of participants in Goldman Sachs's small-business coaching program reported that higher costs had impaired their finances.

The sector which the federal government typically defines as businesses below a certain size, ranging from 500 to 1,500 employees depending on the industry is responsible for two of every three jobs created over the past 25 years, according to the Labor Department. So a weakening of that engine bodes ill for American growth and prosperity.

Corinne Hodges runs the Association of Women's Business Centers, a national network offering training, mentoring and financing to entrepreneurs. The organization's funding from the Small Business Administration was augmented to help thousands of businesses navigate the pandemic, but, with the extra money now exhausted, the centers are laying off advisers, just as clients are asking for more help.

"We saw pivoting in Covid," Ms. Hodges said. "Well, what is it now? What's the new pivot? It's just been a vise grip of pressure emerging from the pandemic. Is a pivot going to be enough, or does it need to be something more?"

Kymme Williams-Davis was one of those who survived pivot after pivot, and she isn't sure she can make it much longer.

Seven years ago, she started a coffee shop in Brooklyn called Bushwick Grind, specializing in fair-trade beans that are locally roasted. She spent $200,000 building out the space with a kitchen, and developed a brisk business selling healthier fare than that of the fast food outlets around her.

When the pandemic hit, the shop had to close for nine months. Ms. Williams-Davis made rent by subletting the space to other small vendors. When she reopened in 2021, she got a boost from a contract to deliver 400 meals a day to the city's vaccine sites. That cash flow allowed her to qualify for a loan to buy her own space.

But she hasn't been able to find anything in Brooklyn, in part because large investors keep outbidding her. Foot traffic hasn't recovered. The cost of coffee, kale and other provisions if she can even get them is skyrocketing. Farmers from upstate are saving on gas by taking fewer trips into the city, so she has begun to swap in lower-grade ingredients.

"The costs are so high, the revenue came in, but it's just siphoning out," Ms. Williams-Davis said. At the same time, an unstable work force has made it difficult to operate full steam: She had to limit her offerings, eliminating a brunch menu, because cooks kept leaving. Even after she raised starting pay to $24 an hour, she said, employees were lured away by the flexibility of gig work.

Ms. Williams-Davis doesn't blame her workers for seeking better opportunities, but the trend is one more penny on the scale against survival. Asked about the future, she sighed. "I feel like it's 50-50," she said, "because if I don't find a way to reduce my liability and retain capital, I won't be able to make it too much longer."

The past two and a half years have been harder on small businesses than on larger ones. A new paper using tax data from California shows that through the fall of 2020, smaller businesses there closed at a significantly higher rate than large ones, increasing the degree of market dominance by larger firms in the state.

At the same time, a wave of people started businesses in 2020 and 2021 some prompted by layoffs, others seizing opportunities born of the pandemic. While that wave appears to have crested, according to the Census Bureau, corporate registrations remain above prepandemic levels.

The latest challenge raises the question of whether that dynamism, a welcome development after a sluggish decade following the financial crisis of 2008, can be sustained.

Operations that arose from the pandemic had advantages: no business practices to upend, or legacy costs like office leases to carry. Many businesses were built around remote operating environments and sanitary precautions. But they weren't any more ready than existing businesses for soaring inflation and rising interest rates. And, unlike established enterprises, they didn't have access to most relief programs offered by the federal government.

Irina Sirotkina sold her stake in a construction company early in the pandemic, when contracts for new hotels and office buildings dried up. She used that money to open a bakery in October in Battle Ground, Wash. Although orders for her cakes and pies have been pouring in, customers have resisted even the smallest price increases. The costs of her main ingredients eggs, butter, milk and flour have climbed 13 to 49 percent since she first fired up the ovens. So far, profits have been elusive, would-be customers are cutting down on car trips into town and there's no new Paycheck Protection Program in sight.

We've used all our resources to make it, because we didn't qualify the first, second or third round" of that program, Ms. Sirotkina said. "But how far are we going to have to make it before we get help?"

New businesses and those run by people of color have particular difficulty obtaining bank loans, so they're often driven to online lenders that charge steep interest rates for short-term financing. Last year, hoping to ease access to credit, Congress allocated $10 billion to be funneled through lenders with the express purpose of reaching underserved entrepreneurs; the money is still trickling out.

Nevertheless, signs of weakness are appearing. Gusto, a payroll and benefits provider that serves 200,000 small businesses, has seen an uptick in layoffs among its users. That's significant, said the company's economist, Luke Pardue, because smaller employers are typically loath to let people go.

"For a small business, 10 percent of its work force might be its H.R. department," Dr. Pardue said. "Every employee really does have some specialized importance that might not be present in a larger company, so every swing you might see is more meaningful."

To prevent further losses, small-business advocates want congressional action to streamline the Small Business Administration's loan programs and make them available to more types of businesses. Deferring payments on S.B.A. loans issued during the pandemic could help, as could redoubling efforts to increase the number of small businesses that receive government contracts, which has shrunk over the past decade.

But one policymaker that advocates probably won't be able to sway is the Federal Reserve.

At a conference last week outside Washington, Goldman Sachs brought together 2,500 small businesses that had gone through the bank's development program. In a packed breakout session, Goldman's chief U.S. economist, David Mericle, delivered a presentation on the state of the economy, explaining that the Fed is willing to risk a recession by raising interest rates to bring prices back in check.

Joan Escover, who has run a printing company in Santa Clara, Calif., for 25 years, stood in the back, worrying. Her business took a big hit during the pandemic as trade shows collapsed, and she maxed out every relief program she could. A low-interest S.B.A. loan had been crucial to her recovery, and pricey credit would make everything more difficult.

She raised her hand. "Why are they using interest rates as a tactic?" she asked. Mr. Mericle answered, sympathetically, that the Fed worried that, without steps to cool off demand, high prices would become entrenched in a self-perpetuating cycle.

After the session, Ms. Escover explained that while business was improving an election year brings lots of orders for signs she needed to invest in new equipment to keep up with her larger competitors.

"I have an aging work force, so I have to have increased productivity," Ms. Escover said. "If I can't buy that new paper cutter that costs $200,000, how are you going to do that?"

dajo9
Thank you for sharing this 18 month old article full of anecdotes and soft data. Soft data (polling about how people feel) has been notoriously negative compared to hard data in this cycle. Soft data polling has also been overwhelmed by politics.

Fortunately their fears of a Fed induced recession has not come to pass so far and inflation has cooled while revenues are up for businesses in demand. The chaos they had to endure during the end of the Trump Presidency and beginning of the Biden Presidency has passed.

It's Morning In America.
dajo9
Economist Robert Reich breaks it down how President Biden's policies are helping the working class like no President we've seen in our lifetimes.

1) Investment in manufacturing
2) Antitrust via the FTC and DOJ
3) Pro union

https://www.threads.net/@rbreich/post/C2aDWrZg-f7/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

Economist Robert Reich breaks it down how President Biden's policies are helping the working class like no President we've seen in our lifetimes.

3) Pro union

This is great news for America and it could continue for some time.

As I recall, a prominent constitutional scholar and former president says the constitution permits a "redo" if your presidency is plagued by a "hoax." For those who are paying attention that means that Biden is entitled to a third term as a result of the GOP's Hunter Biden hoax.

So we could possibly have 8+ more years of President Biden working hard for America. It also means we can look forward to Trump breaking Willing Jennings Bryan's record for losing presidential elections.

calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

3) Pro union

As I recall, a prominent constitutional scholar and former president says the constitution permits a "redo" if your presidency is plagued by a "hoax." For those who are paying attention that means that Biden is entitled to a third term as a result of the GOP's Hunter Biden hoax.

So we could possibly have 8+ more years of President Biden working hard for America. It also means we can look forward to Trump breaking Willing Jennings Bryan's record for losing presidential elections.

Let me know what you are seeing.

This is what I am seeing from reports and talking with executives and economic experts.

Infrastructure was somewhat of a head fake. Infrastructure spending and cap ex have slowed considerably as people are unwilling to move forward due to bureaucratic hurdles and uncertainty while not knowing what will happen in 2024 election.

PMI is turning positive for the first time in a long while as companies burn through their backlog and new orders are being placed. Manufacturing and supply chain spending should pick up.

Healthcare almost back to normal with elective surgery and hospital capacity almost back up to normal (despite a really bad flu season).

Consumers are hurting, as savings reach low levels and debt reaches high levels. More jobs are hourly wage jobs but much fewer high compensation jobs, as the number of applicants per job opening has flipped from the great resignation. People are not moving jobs, salary increases are pressured, additional potential discrete restructuring planned for the first part of 2024, and more demand increasing and job satisfaction decreasing as employers once again have leverage and employees are unwilling to switch jobs that are far in between despite dissatisfaction.

Forget politics for this discussion. You are typically not on a propaganda angle when discussing economy so I would like your honest perspective from someone still very active in the tech field.

For me, in this time of potential slower growth prior to the 2024 election, I am focusing on top tier companies (without disclosing which companies) that can gain even more market shares when growth is slow and have strong enough balance sheet to make smart capital allocation during flat growth period). Slower macroeconomic condition (not predicting 2024 tepid growth - just seems to be mixed signals) will not generally be a rising tide situation where even mediocre companies perform well.
Unit2Sucks
calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

3) Pro union

This is what I am seeing from reports and talking with executives and economic experts.

Infrastructure was somewhat of a head fake. Infrastructure spending and cap ex have slowed considerably as people are unwilling to move forward due to bureaucratic hurdles and uncertainty while not knowing what will happen in 2024 election.

PMI is turning positive for the first time in a long while as companies burn through their backlog and new orders are being placed. Manufacturing and supply chain spending should pick up.

Healthcare almost back to normal with elective surgery and hospital capacity almost back up to normal (despite a really bad flu season).

Consumers are hurting, as savings reach low levels and debt reaches high levels. More jobs are hourly wage jobs but much fewer high compensation jobs, as the number of applicants per job opening has flipped from the great resignation. People are not moving jobs, salary increases are pressured, additional potential discrete restructuring planned for the first part of 2024, and more demand increasing and job satisfaction decreasing as employers once again have leverage and employees are unwilling to switch jobs that are far in between despite dissatisfaction.

Forget politics for this discussion. You are typically not on a propaganda angle when discussing economy so I would like your honest perspective from someone still very active in the tech field.

For me, in this time of potential slower growth prior to the 2024 election, I am focusing on top tier companies (without disclosing which companies) that can gain even more market shares when growth is slow and have strong enough balance sheet to make smart capital allocation during flat growth period). Slower macroeconomic condition (not predicting 2024 tepid growth - just seems to be mixed signals) will not generally be a rising tide situation where even mediocre companies perform well.
It's interesting to hear your view but I continue to not see the signs of recession. From what I'm seeing, we're coming out of the doldrums of the high-inflation period. Tech is still seeing some layoffs from businesses that staffed up heavily during the early pandemic, and we will continue to see startups fold over the next year. Interest rates continue to be a drag on investment but that's the main issue I see.

For example, tech EPS were up 14.5% year over year in Q3.

When I look at cap ex data, it doesn't seem as bad as you say.

Consumer sentiment across all income levels (especially high income) have risen.

Overall, I'm seeing an economy that has successfully moved on from most of the COVID troubles and we are coming out of the high-inflation period that followed. There are certainly issues - some of them temporal and some of them more than that. I don't know that downtown office space will go back to the way it was any time soon, if ever.

Nor do I think we have "the strongest economy ever." There are always signs of issues and potential issues in the economy. The economy will never be perfect, but I think it's recovering well and better than virtually every other major economy in the world.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

calbear93 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

3) Pro union

It's interesting to hear your view but I continue to not see the signs of recession. From what I'm seeing, we're coming out of the doldrums of the high-inflation period. Tech is still seeing some layoffs from businesses that staffed up heavily during the early pandemic, and we will continue to see startups fold over the next year. Interest rates continue to be a drag on investment but that's the main issue I see.

For example, tech EPS were up 14.5% year over year in Q3.

When I look at cap ex data, it doesn't seem as bad as you say.

Consumer sentiment across all income levels (especially high income) have risen.

Overall, I'm seeing an economy that has successfully moved on from most of the COVID troubles and we are coming out of the high-inflation period that followed. There are certainly issues - some of them temporal and some of them more than that. I don't know that downtown office space will go back to the way it was any time soon, if ever.

Nor do I think we have "the strongest economy ever." There are always signs of issues and potential issues in the economy. The economy will never be perfect, but I think it's recovering well and better than virtually every other major economy in the world.

Very helpful. Agree that there is not any clear signs of recession. Cap ex expectation is based on what I am hearing regarding initial view on 2024 budgets. This earnings season also seem to indicate that, especially when you look at free cash flow guidance. More sentiment than historical cap-ex. M&A is also a bit more depressed. Mixed signals. For example, PMI (which historically is a good indication of short-cycle and cyclical companies and manufacturing and potential recession), turned positive, which is a good sign for the economy.

These mixed signals will also make it that much harder for the Fed to be aggressive in lowering rates this year. But I am always betting on the US economy in the long run even if my portfolio is highly diversified.
dajo9
GDP grew 3.3% in Q4 vs. a Wall Street "expert" estimate of 2.0%. Fact is, they hate President Biden who is doing a great job. They see everything through dim glasses. First the media swarmed us with headlines that it would be a disappointing Christmas season. That failed to happen. Then they still vastly underestimated the economy through all of Q4. It's Morning in America.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/25/gdp-q4-2023-the-us-economy-grew-at-a-3point3percent-pace-in-the-fourth-quarter.html#:~:text=Gross%20domestic%20product%2C%20a%20measure,three%20months%20of%20the%20year.

DiabloWags
bear2034 said:

dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

Too funny.
Another person that has no clue how the yield curve works.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.