Bidenomics

51,915 Views | 771 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by dajo9
LudwigsFountain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

Anyone here qualified for Kamala's new proposal for taxes on unrealized capital gains?

Unlikely anyone here qualifies for either rate. You have to have income above $1M to have the 44.6% capital gains rate. Assets above $100M for the unrealized gains tax.

If the capital gain isn't adjusted for inflation, and I assume it wouldn't be, you'd end up with some very high effective rates. For example, if you bought the S&P the day Biden took office and sold it today, you end up with a effective tax rate of 98.4%, by comparing the inflation-adjusted gain to the tax, which is on the nominal gain.

I assume we'll get inflation under control, but even at low inflation I'd worry that the effective rate would distort investment decisions.
dajo9
LudwigsFountain said:

dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

Anyone here qualified for Kamala's new proposal for taxes on unrealized capital gains?

Unlikely anyone here qualifies for either rate. You have to have income above $1M to have the 44.6% capital gains rate. Assets above $100M for the unrealized gains tax.

If the capital gain isn't adjusted for inflation, and I assume it wouldn't be, you'd end up with some very high effective rates. For example, if you bought the S&P the day Biden took office and sold it today, you end up with a effective tax rate of 98.4%, by comparing the inflation-adjusted gain to the tax, which is on the nominal gain.

I assume we'll get inflation under control, but even at low inflation I'd worry that the effective rate would distort investment decisions.

The creative ways you guys come up with to fear for the plight of the super rich is very amusing to me. I mean, I'm rich. But I have no fear of paying these taxes because these taxes are for the really, really rich. Maybe calbear93 and diablowags are sweating it out - I don't know.

But let's play your game. If you want to call inflation part of the tax rate, the number I come up with is 75%. But of course, that is bad finance with either of our numbers because it ignores opportunity costs. One of the benefits of the stock market is that it is more likely to protect you from inflation than say, bonds or cash (results may vary). The investment decision vs. bonds or cash is still there because of the opportunity costs which is negative returns.

In your scenario, the million dollar income earner has S&P 500 after tax inflation adjusted returns of 14% under the Biden / Harris plan (and that's only if the tax is not inflation adjusted which - who knows). As opposed to a 26% return under current law. I hope the super rich will survive.

If you want to complain about inflation and taxes you are misdirecting your anger, which should be pointed at Donold Trump. His 2017 tax plan included a stealth tax increase at all income levels that the corporate media ignores. The tax law sunsets at 10 years except primarily for two provisions. Anything lasting over 10 years had to be revenue neutral. One provision, Trump's corporate tax decrease is permanent law. How did he offset the cost of that and keep it revenue neutral? A 2nd provision changed the inflation adjustment of the income tax brackets, slowing them down at all levels of income. That is effectively a tax increase on all of us. So you are out here worrying about the super wealthy and ignoring the guy with his hand in your pocket.

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/27/573556101/taxpayers-may-feel-a-bite-from-a-new-way-of-tracking-inflation
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
LudwigsFountain
dajo9 said:

LudwigsFountain said:

dajo9 said:

bear2034 said:

The creative ways you guys come up with to fear for the plight of the super rich is very amusing to me. I mean, I'm rich. But I have no fear of paying these taxes because these taxes are for the really, really rich. Maybe calbear93 and diablowags are sweating it out - I don't know.

But let's play your game. If you want to call inflation part of the tax rate, the number I come up with is 75%. But of course, that is bad finance with either of our numbers because it ignores opportunity costs. One of the benefits of the stock market is that it is more likely to protect you from inflation than say, bonds or cash (results may vary). The investment decision vs. bonds or cash is still there because of the opportunity costs which is negative returns.

In your scenario, the million dollar income earner has S&P 500 after tax inflation adjusted returns of 14% under the Biden / Harris plan (and that's only if the tax is not inflation adjusted which - who knows). As opposed to a 26% return under current law. I hope the super rich will survive.

If you want to complain about inflation and taxes you are misdirecting your anger, which should be pointed at Donold Trump. His 2017 tax plan included a stealth tax increase at all income levels that the corporate media ignores. The tax law sunsets at 10 years except primarily for two provisions. Anything lasting over 10 years had to be revenue neutral. One provision, Trump's corporate tax decrease is permanent law. How did he offset the cost of that and keep it revenue neutral? A 2nd provision changed the inflation adjustment of the income tax brackets, slowing them down at all levels of income. That is effectively a tax increase on all of us. So you are out here worrying about the super wealthy and ignoring the guy with his hand in your pocket.

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/27/573556101/taxpayers-may-feel-a-bite-from-a-new-way-of-tracking-inflation
My only point is that if you change a tax rate for one type of investment relative to others, you're going to change investment decisions at the margin. I never said I was worried about the super rich and I'm not; I'm sure they'll continue to do just fine. I do worry about how this tax might change investment decisions, because I'm not smart enough to know whether it will be beneficial or not.

Here's how I got 98%. SP goes from 3853 to 5635 for a gain of 1782 and tax of 795. 5635 adjusted for 20.9% cumulative inflation yields an adjusted figure of 4657 for an adjusted gain of 804.
bear2034
dajo9
The median U.S. worker is better off by $1,400 since 2019. Thank you President Biden.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna168579
bear2034
The Democrats threw out Biden with the trash at the DNC.
GoOskie
bear2034 said:

The Democrats threw out Biden with the trash at the DNC.
bearister
The Republican Empathy Net is widening:

1. Concern over Biden being unfairly squeezed out: Check

2. Concern over Ukrainian soldiers being slaughtered while being armed with American ordance: Check

3. Concern over Palestinians being slaughtered in Gaza: Check

4. Concern over Tim Walz mistreating his special needs son: Check

5. Concern over voters who were misled Beyonce was going to appear at the DNC: Check

6. Concern over Black people being exploited by Democrats: Check

7. Concern over Democrats besmirching RFK Jr.'s impeccable reputation: Check

8. Concern over Female Genital Mutilation (FGM): Check
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
tRumponomics explained:

Trump plans would add $5.8 trillion to national debt

https://www.axios.com/2024/08/28/trump-harris-national-debt-election

DiabloWags
More dumbass BS from bear2034.

No GDP comparison. And never mind that 3.1 million jobs were lost during Trump 's term.

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
oski003
DiabloWags said:

No GDP comparison. And never mind that 3.1 million jobs were lost during Trump 's term.

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

Covid caused the job loss, you old fool.
dajo9
President Biden's worst year for jobs was better than Donold's best year
dajo9
Donold's Great Depression of 2024 Watch:

2nd quarter GDP has been revised up to 3.0% growth. The "bloody" (per sealion003) stock market activity posted a new record high for the Dow Jones. I prefer the S&P 500 which did not hit a record high last week. The S&P 500 is still bloody, I presume.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-08-29/us-economy-expands-at-revised-3-rate-on-resilient-consumer?srnd=homepage-americas
GoOskie
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

What caused the pandemic to be a lot worse than it should've been?
oski003
GoOskie said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

Lying Democrats and Stupid Republicans
bear2034
DiabloWags said:

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

Bro, you've resorted to using dajo's distorted line of thinking now. This is what happens when you pay money to read Peggy Noonan.
bear2034
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

He's only regurgitating what he hears in his own bubble.
calbear93
GoOskie said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Youre not very smart.
Youre perpetually dumb.

What caused the economic impact / job loss from COVID to be a lot worse than it should've been?

What caused the educational / emotional development of young children from COVID to be a lot worse than it should've been?

We can be for Harris (I hate all her policies) but still be honest.

calbear93
bearister said:

tRumponomics explained:

They are both economic disasters.

More tax cuts and more free stuff.

Like drug addled idiots with parents' credit cards on a weekend binge in Vegas.

But capital gains tax on unrealized capital gains? Why? Are we going to allow deduction for unrealized capital loss? Set basis again every year? Inflation adjustment? Bankrupt CA when there is the next market correction?

Price increase limits on free market commercial transactions?

Raise taxes on corporations and reinvite corporate inversions, especially in the midst of Pillar 2 of GloBE? Now that we are having other countries at least raise taxes to a minimum rate, we are going to trip over ourselves to destroy all that progress to avoid countries from recruiting global corporations and dare them to reorganize outside the US?

Even if I vote for Harris (because Trump has to go), I will be more inclined to vote for more conservative folks in Congress. I cannot allow these economic morons to keep relitigating failed policies.

Not that Republicans are any better with no backbone to reform Social Security and Medicare and to increase personal income tax.
bear2034
Eastern Oregon Bear
bear2034 said:

I guess you weren't paying attention when Elon Musk took over Twitter.
82gradDLSdad
calbear93 said:

bearister said:

tRumponomics explained:

They are both economic disasters.

More tax cuts and more free stuff.

Like drug addled idiots with parents' credit cards on a weekend binge in Vegas.

But capital gains tax on unrealized capital gains? Why? Are we going to allow deduction for unrealized capital loss? Set basis again every year? Inflation adjustment? Bankrupt CA when there is the next market correction?

Price increase limits on free market commercial transactions?

Raise taxes on corporations and reinvite corporate inversions, especially in the midst of Pillar 2 of GloBE? Now that we are having other countries at least raise taxes to a minimum rate, we are going to trip over ourselves to destroy all that progress to avoid countries from recruiting global corporations and dare them to reorganize outside the US?

Even if I vote for Harris (because Trump has to go), I will be more inclined to vote for more conservative folks in Congress. I cannot allow these economic morons to keep relitigating failed policies.

Not that Republicans are any better with no backbone to reform Social Security and Medicare and to increase personal income tax.

Very few politicians, at least those that get covered by the media and thus get elected, discuss openly these dire problems that face this country. It's disheartening.
bear2034
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

bear2034 said:

I guess you weren't paying attention when Elon Musk took over Twitter.

The snowflakes left on their own, Elon fired the rest who weren't doing anything or didn't want to come into the office to work. You never paid attention to anything.
bear2034
GoOskie
Seems on point for you to be posting something from a crypto bro. trumpers and scams go hand in hand.
bearister
And you wouldn't be able to explain Bitcoin to anyone in any meaningful way.
bear2034
Just stick with Vanguard ETF's so you don't have to worry about it.
bear2034
GoOskie said:

Seems on point for you to be posting something from a crypto bro. trumpers and scams go hand in hand.
When it gets to the point where even you are seriously posting about bitcoin, then I'll take it as indicator that it's the top of the cycle and offload some coin for profit taking.
DiabloWags
bear2034 said:

GoOskie said:

When it gets to the point where even you are seriously posting about bitcoin, then I'll take it as indicator that it's the top of the cycle and offload some coin for profit taking.

So says the guy that's never once shared how much Bitcoin he owns after having been repeatedly asked.
But hey, everyone is a massive BALLER on the internet.

Yawn.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
bear2034
All you need to start is to own a single Satoshi. One hundred million of them make up a single bitcoin. Or, buy one of the handful of bitcoin ETFs from your brokerage firm.
bear2034

Will this be the last time they let Biden outside and say whatever he wants? Is he trying to sabotage Kamala's campaign? Holy smokes.
82gradDLSdad
bear2034 said:

Will this be the last time they let Biden outside and say whatever he wants? Is he trying to sabotage Kamala's campaign? Holy smokes.

Did I hear in the background, "Cut the mike!!!!"

And he's still the president, btw. I feel so good about America. Whenever Cal football depresses me (first half of Davis game) I take comfort in saying, "Well, at least we aren't the USA."

Yes, it's early, I didn't sleep well and I'm rambling. Sorry.
bear2034

dajo, what do you think of the data?
82gradDLSdad
wifeisafurd said:

Typical dinner with friends: Listen to all the problems I have with Joe Biden, and why I will vote for him when he runs against Trump again...

I am happy when I can discuss politics (or anything for that matter) with friends. I don't care who they vote for. I may have different opinions but that's just what they are. I've known many of my friends for far longer than I've known their political views. The fact that we are still friends means way more than who or what they are voting for.
I hope you have friends that are voting for some different things/people than you. That's a part of a rich life, in my opinion.
dajo9
bear2034 said:

dajo, what do you think of the data?
I think that blaming President Biden for the global covid caused inflation is the same as blaming Donold for job losses in 2020. So which way do we want to go about this? Donold has the worst jobs record in the history of the country, losing 2.7 million jobs while President Biden has gained ~15 million jobs. Or, instead of cherrypicking, we can acknowledge that covid caused job losses and inflation globally impacting both Presidencies.

President Biden entered the White House in a time of chaos, just like the last time a Democrat replaced a Republican in the White House in 2009. Just like the previous Democrat entered the White House during a recession in 1993. This is a trend. President Biden has brought normalcy and prosperity back. We know that President Biden brought jobs back that were lost from covid at higher real wages than pre-covid. In 2023 real household median income grew 4.0%. Expect 2024 to show more growth. We know that the stock market is near record highs and thanks to housing appreciation (which foolishly is called consumer inflation in America) the average American is more wealthy than ever before.

One more thing, in another stroke of dumb luck that has been with Donold throughout his degenerate life, the 2019 real household median income number is known to be flawed. Estimates are that it is too high by about 2%. That is because the survey was done in the middle of the early pandemic and low income response rates cratered. Once again, a Democrat is left chasing a Republican fiction.

https://www.epi.org/blog/household-income-gains-welcome-in-2019-census-data-but-may-not-be-as-strong-as-they-first-appear/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.