Bidenomics

51,896 Views | 771 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by dajo9
calbear93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AunBear89 said:

You introduced *****es to the conversation, so I assumed it was an important topic for you. Your lapdog003 also likes talking about ***** sizes, and I was just trying to make both of you feel seen.

I am happy to change the topic to how much of an arrogant jackass you are, and how your fragile ego immediately turns to insults and disparagement when you feel challenged.

Now you are rationalizing why you are obsessed with male genitalia (you even responded to
your own post to make clarification on your choice of words to describe them and complaining that this site doesn't allow you to use that term uncensored but proud that you found a loophole)? Just run along, Skippee. You are going to hurt yourself.

Besides what the hell does economy and the financial market have anything to do with you? Stay in your lane and focus on your favorite topic.
AunBear89
calbear93 said:

Nothing of any significance. Ever.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
calbear93
AunBear89 said:

calbear93 said:

Nothing of any significance. Ever.

You wasted time posting that?

Like I said, you are not in the same weight class. Go spar in the feather weight class before you hurt your brain.
AunBear89
What year at Harvard Law do they teach keyboard chest thumping? Does acting tough and superior make you feel better about your pathetic waste of life? It must be difficult, being such a meaningless man in life that you come here to bluster and puff and pretend you are superior.

You also pretend to be Christian. Jesus would be proud of your behavior.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
DiabloWags
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

People love to attack me with straw men. Even more fun when they then run away and say things like, I'm not worth it. Really? Because it wasn't me that called you out by name from nowhere. That was you who called me out with a false statement and then ran away because you couldn't defend it.
Here is something I never said:

Quote:

Biden is in charge of monetary policy at the FED and that's why the stock market has been so spectacular.
But most finance professionals I have come across only have a superficial understanding of economics so I can understand why a finance professional might think I said that. They typically think understanding finance means understanding economics. They typically think saying thing like, taxes just take money out of people's pockets, is a profound economic statement rather than just a profit maximizing dogma for themselves.

So let me explain a few things about interest rates. There are a ton of them. The Fed controls the overnight rate banks charge each other (Fed Funds Rate). The finance world is obsessed with the Fed (more so than is deserved even with the very strong effect the Fed has on the finance world). Partly a phenomenon of 24 hour news and partly a phenomenon of needing somebody to blame for the myriad things out of their control in their, admittedly, difficult job. So some finance professionals think the Fed controls all interest rates (influence is not control). Go ahead ask some of them around you. You'll hear a lot of crazy stuff.

When I say something like, Biden has normalized rates, I am talking about the economics based theoretical neutral rate. This is the theoretical rate which supports full employment and is not inflationary. But finance people are Fed obsessed and sometimes think any mention of interest rates is a commentary on rates controlled by the Fed (some finance people have the crazy notion that the Fed controls all rates). In reality the Fed isn't so much setting a Feds Funds Rate (that sounds easy) - they are setting a Fed Funds Rate relative to the theoretical neutral rate that will deliver the desired result they are looking for. In other words, they are adjusting to a target they can't see because it is an economic theory.

So what drives the theoretical neutral rate (R*)? Below is a link from the CFA Institute (I'm pretty sure I have mentioned I used to be a CFA. But I stopped paying dues, so no more).

Quote:

R* is widely believed to be determined by real forces that structurally affect the balance between savings and investment in an economy. This includes potential economic growth, demographics, risk aversion, and fiscal policy, among others.
Fiscal policy? You don't say. Let's say the Fed sets their rate at 2% in 2012 - that is contractionary because the neutral rate is way below 2%. Let's say the Fed sets their rate at 2% in 2022 - that is expansionary because the neutral rate is way above 2%. In both cases the neutral rate was abnormal so the Fed, in order to get the result they desire, had to respond to reality with abnormal rates. That is what I mean when I say the Fed is the tail, not the dog. The neutral rate is the rate that Biden has normalized (if the Fed doesn't mess it up by leaving their rate too high for too long).

Here is a hypothetical. Let's say the economy is fine. GDP is 2%, inflation is 2%, unemployment is 2%, the Fed Funds rate is 2%, and the theoretical neutral rate is 2%. The Feds monetary policy is neither contractionary nor expansionary. The Fed says, don't touch a thing. The President disagrees and convinces Congress that now is the time for across the board 80% tax rates. The economy crashes. The Fed says, I told you not to touch a thing, this is your problem, I'm not changing anything and leaves their rate at 2%. The Fed hasn't done anything but their policy has gone from neutral to contractionary. What changed? Fiscal policy and the economics based theoretical neutral rate of interest.

https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2024/07/10/in-search-of-the-elusive-neutral-interest-rate/
You take some abstract and unproven theory and then even get wrong who is responsible for fiscal policy. Maybe get back to studying the constitution on who controls the purse, including tax.

But you cling on to these theories that resulted in you submitting the wrong predictions over and over again.

Here is the thing. The Fed is the biggest factor in balancing inflation with employment rate. No wonder since that it their actual purpose for existence. They were created by CONGRESS to help create a stable monetary and fiscal system

The difficulty that Fed in the past has had is the lag time between their action and impact. They use their monetary tools to find equilibrium between unemployment and inflation based on recent results, but it is an inexact science on timing on the right action based on past results. Do they lower interest rate now before recession becomes inevitable or is lowering interest rate now too early that may spike up inflation again? Whatever they decide, it won't be clear whether it was the right decision until after the election.

At a certain point, results matter. Whatever tools you are using has led you to completely miss the trend and the subsequent results. You have made the wrong prediction on the economy and the markets almost every single time. And yet you still bring out the same theory that has failed you as if they are some infallible law.
Thank You Calbear93.
At least someone on this thread actually understands what's going on.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
DiabloWags
By the way, lost on most here is the fact that the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund ( VTI) is weighted fairly heavily in tech. In fact, 31.3% of its Top 10 Holdings are in things like MSFT, AAPL, NVDA, etc.
Those last 3 names make up 17.7% of the index.

Funny how the VTI goes +40% from 200 to 280 in 8.5 months and people get their panties all twisted about it being down 4.3% from its most recent high.

PS. Some people still need to figure out what pushed the U.S. equity market down into the Monday, Aug. 5th low.

Hint: Reversing the Yen Carry Trade.

I'd be a seller here with the SPX at 5455.
This "bounce" won't last.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
calbear93
AunBear89 said:

What year at Harvard Law do they teach keyboard chest thumping? Does acting tough and superior make you feel better about your pathetic waste of life? It must be difficult, being such a meaningless man in life that you come here to bluster and puff and pretend you are superior.

You also pretend to be Christian. Jesus would be proud of your behavior.

You have really pathetic insults that don't even make sense because you lack the brain cells to generate anything other than generic, off-the-shelf nonsense that are not insults. You really shouldn't engage in insults but it has become your schtick here since you actually don't contribute on substance. But this is getting boring because you suck at this. Have fun, Skippee. You try to insult me by pointing out that I have Harvard, wealth and Christianity, while you have Kitsap as a result of a failed public school teacher career. Sigh. Have fun with your life.
calbear93
DiabloWags said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

People love to attack me with straw men. Even more fun when they then run away and say things like, I'm not worth it. Really? Because it wasn't me that called you out by name from nowhere. That was you who called me out with a false statement and then ran away because you couldn't defend it.
Here is something I never said:

Quote:

Biden is in charge of monetary policy at the FED and that's why the stock market has been so spectacular.
But most finance professionals I have come across only have a superficial understanding of economics so I can understand why a finance professional might think I said that. They typically think understanding finance means understanding economics. They typically think saying thing like, taxes just take money out of people's pockets, is a profound economic statement rather than just a profit maximizing dogma for themselves.

So let me explain a few things about interest rates. There are a ton of them. The Fed controls the overnight rate banks charge each other (Fed Funds Rate). The finance world is obsessed with the Fed (more so than is deserved even with the very strong effect the Fed has on the finance world). Partly a phenomenon of 24 hour news and partly a phenomenon of needing somebody to blame for the myriad things out of their control in their, admittedly, difficult job. So some finance professionals think the Fed controls all interest rates (influence is not control). Go ahead ask some of them around you. You'll hear a lot of crazy stuff.

When I say something like, Biden has normalized rates, I am talking about the economics based theoretical neutral rate. This is the theoretical rate which supports full employment and is not inflationary. But finance people are Fed obsessed and sometimes think any mention of interest rates is a commentary on rates controlled by the Fed (some finance people have the crazy notion that the Fed controls all rates). In reality the Fed isn't so much setting a Feds Funds Rate (that sounds easy) - they are setting a Fed Funds Rate relative to the theoretical neutral rate that will deliver the desired result they are looking for. In other words, they are adjusting to a target they can't see because it is an economic theory.

So what drives the theoretical neutral rate (R*)? Below is a link from the CFA Institute (I'm pretty sure I have mentioned I used to be a CFA. But I stopped paying dues, so no more).

Quote:

R* is widely believed to be determined by real forces that structurally affect the balance between savings and investment in an economy. This includes potential economic growth, demographics, risk aversion, and fiscal policy, among others.
Fiscal policy? You don't say. Let's say the Fed sets their rate at 2% in 2012 - that is contractionary because the neutral rate is way below 2%. Let's say the Fed sets their rate at 2% in 2022 - that is expansionary because the neutral rate is way above 2%. In both cases the neutral rate was abnormal so the Fed, in order to get the result they desire, had to respond to reality with abnormal rates. That is what I mean when I say the Fed is the tail, not the dog. The neutral rate is the rate that Biden has normalized (if the Fed doesn't mess it up by leaving their rate too high for too long).

Here is a hypothetical. Let's say the economy is fine. GDP is 2%, inflation is 2%, unemployment is 2%, the Fed Funds rate is 2%, and the theoretical neutral rate is 2%. The Feds monetary policy is neither contractionary nor expansionary. The Fed says, don't touch a thing. The President disagrees and convinces Congress that now is the time for across the board 80% tax rates. The economy crashes. The Fed says, I told you not to touch a thing, this is your problem, I'm not changing anything and leaves their rate at 2%. The Fed hasn't done anything but their policy has gone from neutral to contractionary. What changed? Fiscal policy and the economics based theoretical neutral rate of interest.

https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2024/07/10/in-search-of-the-elusive-neutral-interest-rate/
You take some abstract and unproven theory and then even get wrong who is responsible for fiscal policy. Maybe get back to studying the constitution on who controls the purse, including tax.

But you cling on to these theories that resulted in you submitting the wrong predictions over and over again.

Here is the thing. The Fed is the biggest factor in balancing inflation with employment rate. No wonder since that it their actual purpose for existence. They were created by CONGRESS to help create a stable monetary and fiscal system

The difficulty that Fed in the past has had is the lag time between their action and impact. They use their monetary tools to find equilibrium between unemployment and inflation based on recent results, but it is an inexact science on timing on the right action based on past results. Do they lower interest rate now before recession becomes inevitable or is lowering interest rate now too early that may spike up inflation again? Whatever they decide, it won't be clear whether it was the right decision until after the election.

At a certain point, results matter. Whatever tools you are using has led you to completely miss the trend and the subsequent results. You have made the wrong prediction on the economy and the markets almost every single time. And yet you still bring out the same theory that has failed you as if they are some infallible law.
Thank You Calbear93.
At least someone on this thread actually understands what's going on.

Exactly. And we didn't even have to read the CNBC headline to figure this out.
Eastern Oregon Bear
dajo9 said:

Inflation continues to come down getting a 2-handle for July with year-over-year inflation at 2.9%. Most of that is from the shagging index, which is lagged and a big portion of it isn't even real - as homeowners aren't actually paying more for the homes they already own.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/14/july-consumer-price-index.html
I never even knew there was a shagging index. They keep track of everything! This must have been inspiring all the genital talk today.

< insert Austin Powers image here>
dajo9
Donold's Great Depression of 2024 Watch:

Retail sales in July were up 1.0%, the most since January 2023. If you bought into the market at the low of the day of Donold's declaration, you are now up 6%. For some, Donold's declaration is justified because the market is currently lower than it's all time high by 3%.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-08-15/us-retail-sales-pick-up-by-more-than-forecast-in-broad-advance?srnd=homepage-americas
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bear2034
bear2034
25 Days and No Interviews said:

25 Days and No Interviews, welcome to the Bear Insider.
bear2034

Kamalanomics - Price gage-ing.
bear2034

Where did Kamala come up with the idea proposing price control on food? Someone or some group is whispering this in her ear?
dajo9
Here is a really good article about how Reagan and the neoliberal establishment conservatives completely re-wrote enforcement of an important anti-trust law in the 1980's called the Robinson-Patman Act. The Robinson-Patman Act was signed into law in 1936 after neoliberal Republican courts refused to support the anti-trust laws already on the books. Robinson-Patman is still the law of the land but Reagan had his anti-trust people stop pursuing it and that became the norm. There has been rumblings of more enforcement under Biden's FTC but nothing very substantive yet. The courts have become so enured to Robinson-Patman not being used that it is hard to imagine our current Republican judiciary letting the law be used as intended. While Dementia Don has no idea what the Robinson-Patman Act is, everyone around him and the justices he has nominated are full neoliberals who support its non-use.

Current idiotic establishment conservatives, whose policies have so failed the American people and hollowed out the middle class still align with Donold on issues like this, despite the harm it has done. These stupid establishment conservatives have lost all support from the American people because of policies like this (plus war) and now have no political party to call their own. While the cult of Donold completely supports the same neoliberal policies that make the rich, richer, they focus on the culture wars and full on fascism to gain support. I do give credit to establishment conservatives for not going down that path despite how failed their economic agenda is.

https://pluralistic.net/2024/08/14/the-price-is-wright/#enforcement-priorities
calbear93
dajo9 said:

Here is a really good article about how Reagan and the neoliberal establishment conservatives completely re-wrote enforcement of an important anti-trust law in the 1980's called the Robinson-Patman Act. The Robinson-Patman Act was signed into law in 1936 after neoliberal Republican courts refused to support the anti-trust laws already on the books. Robinson-Patman is still the law of the land but Reagan had his anti-trust people stop pursuing it and that became the norm. There has been rumblings of more enforcement under Biden's FTC but nothing very substantive yet. The courts have become so enured to Robinson-Patman not being used that it is hard to imagine our current Republican judiciary letting the law be used as intended. While Dementia Don has no idea what the Robinson-Patman Act is, everyone around him and the justices he has nominated are full neoliberals who support its non-use.

Current idiotic establishment conservatives, whose policies have so failed the American people and hollowed out the middle class still align with Donold on issues like this, despite the harm it has done. These stupid establishment conservatives have lost all support from the American people because of policies like this (plus war) and now have no political party to call their own. While the cult of Donold completely supports the same neoliberal policies that make the rich, richer, they focus on the culture wars and full on fascism to gain support. I do give credit to establishment conservatives for not going down that path despite how failed their economic agenda is.

https://pluralistic.net/2024/08/14/the-price-is-wright/#enforcement-priorities

Since neither you nor the echo chamber, uninformed writer of the junk article bothered to read the defenses under the act, I will give you the time to do some research on cost justification defense written into the act - such as volume discount. Did you think all those cheaper prices at Costco for large volume or buy 2 and get one free were anti-trust violations? Or maybe the large vendors like Walmart can commit to larger minimum purchases reducing the cost per unit? Or maybe other producers are willing to get entry into Walmart and so the lower price was a legitimate (as written into the law) matching of a competitor's price? Yes, it must be that all those FTC under Obama and Clinton ignored the law. That makes more sense.

How much of your post was actual information as opposed to no-sacrifice, bougie suburbanite faking the role of progressive by vilifying the other guys so that they can continue to live their bougie life without sacrifice while saying they are one of the good one (wink, wink). Will wait for you to tell us about actual sacrifice you have made. But you wrote a silly, pseudo progressive post on BI so you must believe the junk you write here.
calbear93
bear2034 said:

Where did Kamala come up with the idea proposing price control on food? Someone or some group is whispering this in her ear?

Would love to understand when more government regulation on price has improved quality and options. If price control is good, let's suppress home prices and prohibit homes being sold above original cost to the owner. That would lower home prices.

And why didn't she just say everyone will get $1,000,000 to purchase new homes. We don't care about creating bubbles or paying for this so why not go big.

Both Trump and Harris are competing to lose this election.
AunBear89
Wow. You are so smart because seems like have the answers to EVERYTHING! You should do something important with your big brain, rather than strutting around a stupid sports message board, insulting everyone, and being a jackass.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

Would love to understand when more government regulation on price has improved quality and options.
Health care for senior citizens, water, and electricity to name a few big ones.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Wow. You are so smart because seems like have the answers to EVERYTHING! You should do something important with your big brain, rather than strutting around a stupid sports message board, insulting everyone, and being a jackass.

Wow. You are so smart because IT seems like YOU have the answers to EVERYTHING! You should do something important with your big brain, rather than strutting around a stupid sports message board, insulting everyone, and being a jackass.
AunBear89
oski003 said:

oski003
AunBear89 said:

oski003 said:

In fairness, I corrected your crappy grammar. It is a value add.
calbear93
AunBear89 said:

We graduated from the same undergrad but I leveraged that to become a partner at top NY law firm, a GC at a large market cap public company and a COO at a hedge fund before retiring at around 50. I actually lived with these regulations instead of reading a google searched article. I now serve on the board of a mega cap public company and as a trustee in various nonprofits. You leveraged the same undergraduate education to stay at a holiday inn at Kitsap. So of course you are justified in coming to this board and mocking others' intelligence. Makes sense.

But you are right. This is a stupid football board and yet it is the highlight of your life.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

Would love to understand when more government regulation on price has improved quality and options.
Medicare suppresses healthcare prices for all? Who knew.No wonder prices are so low for healthcare.

Electricity and water price regulation are as a result of government mandated monopoly in a municipality because of the cost of the building the infrastructure. Are you suggesting we create and mandate food producer monopoly by the government like Russia in the 80s and Cuba?

You seem well informed.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

Medicare suppresses healthcare prices for all? Who knew.No wonder prices are so low for healthcare.

Electricity and water price regulation are as a result of government mandated monopoly in a municipality because of the cost of the building the infrastructure. Are you suggesting we create and mandate food producer monopoly by the government like Russia in the 80s and Cuba?

You seem well informed.

I'm suggesting the capitalist tendency to consolidate has already created something approaching water and electricity market distortions and government action is appropriate.

You seem well informed
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

I'm suggesting the capitalist tendency to consolidate has already created something approaching water and electricity market distortions and government action is appropriate.

You seem well informed

I see. So, the justification and exception for price regulation of basic utility - creating and mandating monopoly with government prohibition on competition - is your justification for price regulation of food in a competitive market? The rationale for incentivizing utility companies to make an investment in infrastructure by granting a monopoly while regulating prices applies to why food price regulation will work? That is your example of relevancy to my point and why food price regulation in a highly competitive and non-monopolistic environment will work?

Your MBA at work. You are well informed. Tell us more about price discrimination laws.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

You seem well informed

I see. So, the justification and exception for price regulation of basic utility - creating and mandating monopoly with government prohibition on competition - is your justification for price regulation of food in a competitive market? The rationale for incentivizing utility companies to make an investment in infrastructure by granting a monopoly while regulating prices applies to why food price regulation will work? That is your example of relevancy to my point and why food price regulation in a highly competitive and non-monopolistic environment will work?

Your MBA at work. You are well informed. Tell us more about price discrimination laws.

You are very skilled at ignoring actual arguments and creating straw men. Is that what they teach at Harvard?
AunBear89
Jesus would be proud. You are a fine example of a Christian hypocrite.
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

You seem well informed

You are very skilled at ignoring actual arguments and creating straw men. Is that what they teach at Harvard?

You are very skilled at throwing around straw man accusation when you are out of counter argument and have run out of room to deflect Is that what they taught at your business school?
calbear93
AunBear89 said:

Jesus would be proud. You are a fine example of a Christian hypocrite.

And you are a fine example of what? Be a non-believer to aspire to your intelligence and life success? To think that, in your mind, this miserable life of yours is all there will be to you before you are forever forgotten by all. Sounds so much better.
dajo9
calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

You seem well informed

You are very skilled at throwing around straw man accusation when you are out of counter argument and have run out of room to deflect Is that what they taught at your business school?

I'm happy to engage with you if you engage with what I write
calbear93
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

You seem well informed

I'm happy to engage with you if you engage with what I write
I'm happy to engage when you engage with what I wrote. Writing why the examples you provided are not relevant is me engaging. Writing accusation of straw man when I stated that municipal government mandated monopoly for utilities is not applicable for industries where government itself does not prohibit competition is not you engaging but instead just deflecting.
AunBear89
Jesus was famously a judgmental ass like you. Always making fun of what people did and where they came from.

He particularly liked fancy guys like you who value material possessions and brag about their secular accomplishments. He LIVES the prosperity doctrine, as I am sure you do as well. God wants you to be a rich arrogant *******.
dajo9
dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

dajo9 said:

calbear93 said:

bear2034 said:

You seem well informed.

You seem well informed

This is a great podcast on the consolidation of the food industry, which is far from competitive. Idiotic neoliberal establishment conservatives think this is all fine.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2024-03-27/odd-lots-how-big-ag-controls-what-americans-eat-podcast
calbear93
AunBear89 said:

Jesus was famously a judgmental ass like you. Always making fun of what people did and where they came from.

He particularly liked fancy guys like you who value material possessions and brag about their secular accomplishments. He LIVES the prosperity doctrine, as I am sure you do as well. God wants you to be a rich arrogant *******.

This is how shallow your thinking is. And why you are where you are in life.

So, you say Jesus is a fairy tale. And then you treat what you view as a fairy tale as a benchmark for what you think I need to live up to.

Why would I take any credence from someone who believes Jesus is a fairy tale on what Jesus would think as opposed to what is written in the Bible? And why do you care whether I live up to what you view as a fairy tale? If you believe all of that's made up, why do you care?

For example, I think liberal policies are fairy tales that are not grounded in reality. As such, I don't judge people for not spending more than they bring in and living perpetually in debt. I don't judge people for not providing equal results irrespective of effort or value.

You are dumb. I know. Doesn't live up to what you view as a fairy tale. Because if we could equal Jesus in righteousness, we wouldn't need a savior. But who you believe is a fairy tale doesn't have a relationship with you and, as such, for you, your existence ending like a rock is your best case scenario.

And you think someone like you who think Jesus is a fairy tale can insult me by saying I am not Jesus? Will that delusion that your statement insults me make you feel better about your life and your role here?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.