The Non-Yogi Israel-Palestine war thread

189,245 Views | 2533 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by tequila4kapp
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

This may be just me, but I'm kind of sick of Iran. I guess it would be considered bad form if we were to completely annihilate another country, but does that even count for Iran? Seems like they're always on the other side from us, trying to do something to jam us up. And then there are those funky Ayatollah dudes, dressing like weirdos and seemingly having zero sense of humor whatsoever.

Can any of you Iran fans out there explain to me why this country deserves to exist?

What is "they're always on the other side" here? The Iraq War? Our overthrow of their democratically elected government? Dont forget - they were on our side after we installed a puppet dictatorship in their country.
Why are WE always in THEIR neighborhood?
bear2034
movielover said:

Because Iranian people seem solid, just whacky 12th century Mullahs running the place.

President Trump had a simpler approach: starve them of monies. Biden / Obama / Jarrett reversed that, handing them access to tens of Billions to fund terrorism.

President Biden agreed to hand over $6 BILLION as a part of a hostage deal with Tehran. Shortly after, Hamas launched an attack on Israel on October 7th.

The Biden allowed Iran to access an additional $10 BILLION thanks to a U.S. sanctions waiver. So that's a total of $16 BILLION to Iran.

Meanwhile, Iran has armed and funded terrorist groups for years, $100 million annually to Hamas and about $700 million per year to Hezbollah, in addition to numerous other terrorist groups in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Yemen. These groups, like the Houthis in Yemen and Hezbollah in Lebanon, also receive advanced weapons from Tehran, including guided munitions made in Iran. Iran further funds Shiite proxies that have attacked American forces in the region 55 times since October 17.

Iran Receives Access to $10 Billion Thanks to U.S. Sanctions Waiver (fdd.org)
Cal88
bear2034 said:

movielover said:

Because Iranian people seem solid, just whacky 12th century Mullahs running the place.

President Trump had a simpler approach: starve them of monies. Biden / Obama / Jarrett reversed that, handing them access to tens of Billions to fund terrorism.

President Biden agreed to hand over $6 BILLION as a part of a hostage deal with Tehran. Shortly after, Hamas launched an attack on Israel on October 7th.

The Biden allowed Iran to access an additional $10 BILLION thanks to a U.S. sanctions waiver. So that's a total of $16 BILLION to Iran.

Meanwhile, Iran has armed and funded terrorist groups for years, $100 million annually to Hamas and about $700 million per year to Hezbollah, in addition to numerous other terrorist groups in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and Yemen. These groups, like the Houthis in Yemen and Hezbollah in Lebanon, also receive advanced weapons from Tehran, including guided munitions made in Iran. Iran further funds Shiite proxies that have attacked American forces in the region 55 times since October 17.

Iran Receives Access to $10 Billion Thanks to U.S. Sanctions Waiver (fdd.org)

The billions given to Iran were Iranian funds seized by the Treasury.

We funded and armed terrorists in the dirty war in Syria, under Operation Timber Sycamore. And Hamas fought against the Syrian government and Iranian-backed militias in that war, Hamas and Iran were enemies through this war.

Unit2Sucks
lol reports coming in that half of Iran's ballistic missiles crashed in flight or failed on launch. Only 5 of 120 made it into Israeli territory and did pretty minimal damage - they hit an empty hanger, a runway, etc.

The Russian disinformation operation has spun up to its usual laughable standards claiming all sorts of conflicting, unsourced and unverifiable nonsense.

One of the funniest claims is that this was some subterfuge to identify missile defenses. The defense was multi-national and included well known defenses like the three tiered iron dome, the US carrier group off the coast, Israeli, US and even UK fighters which were scrambled to shoot down the missiles.

I recommend Putin and Hamas supporters to head to Twitter for some copium. Look for no name accounts like Spriter, War Clandestine, Vigilant Fox, Bebo, etc for the greatest hits from the Kremlin.
sycasey
Seems like Iran just wanted to do something that looks tough but wouldn't actually provoke a war.
bearister
https://abc7news.com/pro-palestinian-protesters-shut-down-golden-gate-bridge-and-i-880-in-oakland/14668534/

*A couple of months ago, Latino construction workers trying to get to work in Los Angeles took a different approach to clearing protestors off the freeway. I think they heard a lot of screams about wanting to see a lawyer.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

Seems like Iran just wanted to do something that looks tough but wouldn't actually provoke a war.

It was basically for international propaganda. Iran got to pretend to be tough, Israel, the US etc get to beat their chests about defense. Lockheed gets to sell another hundred missiles. Thanks to Biden's steady hand and professionals running out government, there was no escalation and everyone got what they wanted. Thats what competent US government looks like and why so many radicalized leftists and MAGAts are so disappointed. They know that this sort of boring, traditional success makes their guy's brand of chaos even more off putting and less likely to win over voters.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

It was basically for international propaganda. Iran got to pretend to be tough, Israel, the US etc get to beat their chests about defense. Lockheed gets to sell another hundred missiles. Thanks to Biden's steady hand and professionals running out government, there was no escalation and everyone got what they wanted. Thats what competent US government looks like and why so many radicalized leftists and MAGAts are so disappointed. They know that this sort of boring, traditional success makes their guy's brand of chaos even more off putting and less likely to win over voters.

We'll find out how steady the Biden hand is over the next few days, and if his administration manages to rein in Bibi and his bunch of fanatics, then kudos to steady hand Joe.

Iran put up a barrage that consumed an estimated $1.3 billion in assorted AA missiles from the Israeli and NATO arsenal. That, in and of itself, is a show of force, because Iran has a lot more drones and missiles than Israel can muster AA interceptors - quantity is a quality of its own.

Quote:

Agreed.
bearister
Perhaps Iran was rotating old inventory off the shelf and got the bonus of taking notes on defensive tactics.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

lol reports coming in that half of Iran's ballistic missiles crashed in flight or failed on launch. Only 5 of 120 made it into Israeli territory and did pretty minimal damage - they hit an empty hanger, a runway, etc.

The Russian disinformation operation has spun up to its usual laughable standards claiming all sorts of conflicting, unsourced and unverifiable nonsense.

One of the funniest claims is that this was some subterfuge to identify missile defenses. The defense was multi-national and included well known defenses like the three tiered iron dome, the US carrier group off the coast, Israeli, US and even UK fighters which were scrambled to shoot down the missiles.

I recommend Putin and Hamas supporters to head to Twitter for some copium. Look for no name accounts like Spriter, War Clandestine, Vigilant Fox, Bebo, etc for the greatest hits from the Kremlin.

If the above is true, why is the market tanking and Israel saying they are going to respond? What are your objective, unbiased sources?
Cal88
bearister said:

Perhaps Iran was rotating old inventory off the shelf and got the bonus of taking notes on defensive tactics.

Exactly. The main item they've tested was their missile whose payload has a warhead that splinters along with several decoys shortly before getting into AA range, thus forcing the defenders to expend whole salvoes of missiles looking for the real thing. The warhead then accelerates to the target. There was some footage of this from last night's attack.

This design was used in continental ballistic missiles, which are huge, but Iran has apparently had some success implementing it in a smaller package.
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

Iran is well aware that without significant help from Russia and others in their axis of evil, they don't stand a chance against Israel, let alone Israel supported by a Us carrier group which is sitting over there.

Iran would be turned to glass if they precipitated an all out war which is why they were so careful to stage this tantrum the way that they did.

If I'm wrong, Biden will be in a tough spot but I tend to agree with the people who think this is just performative at this point.
bearister
Dolphin-class submarine - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolphin-class_submarine

Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

This may be just me, but I'm kind of sick of Iran. I guess it would be considered bad form if we were to completely annihilate another country, but does that even count for Iran? Seems like they're always on the other side from us, trying to do something to jam us up. And then there are those funky Ayatollah dudes, dressing like weirdos and seemingly having zero sense of humor whatsoever.

Can any of you Iran fans out there explain to me why this country deserves to exist?

What is "they're always on the other side" here? The Iraq War? Our overthrow of their democratically elected government? Dont forget - they were on our side after we installed a puppet dictatorship in their country.

Okay, the Shah thing: We made one mistake! Nobody's perfect...

I figure you gotta be a pretty lousy country to have both Iraq and the US hate you. And who are their allies? Russia, China and North Korea? This is like when Cal signs a recruit and our best sense of how good they're gonna be is by what other schools offered them.

If some of you are big Iran fans, fine, whatever. I am not. (not talking about the individuals there, themselves... everybody in Nazi Germany wasn't a Nazi)
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

We have a lot of iron in the gulf right now. Putin's proxies are sharing a lot of nonsense but no one believes that Iran wants to provoke a US response.

That said, we were better off with Iran in the JCPOA. Terminating it has been as bad as everyone expected and has made Iran much harder to reason with. We've essentially eliminated the carrot entirely from the carrot and stick approach. Given that the stick is just sanctions or war, and we've been using sanctions, it doesn't give us a lot to maneuver with.

If Netanyahu actually does strike back at Iran, and it's a material strike, it will be very interesting to see how that further deteriorates Biden's support for Netanyahu (and Israel). All reports are that Biden told Netanyahu in no uncertain terms that we aren't going to support him in offensive ops against Iran.

The other things we are learning is that the GOP continues to egg on Netanyahu to respond to Iran, which is despicable. You would think Netanyahu learned his lesson from Trump "leaking" Israeli military secrets to Putin.

Palestinian Chicken

CaliforniaEternal
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

I figure you gotta be a pretty lousy country to have both Iraq and the US hate you. And who are their allies? Russia, China and North Korea? This is like when Cal signs a recruit and our best sense of how good they're gonna be is by what other schools offered them.

If some of you are big Iran fans, fine, whatever. I am not. (not talking about the individuals there, themselves... everybody in Nazi Germany wasn't a Nazi)

The shah was infinitely better than brain dead Mullahs. The shah's son is a great advocate for a democratic Iran and peace with the US and Israel. It's too bad, Iran has great potential if they weren't controlled by fascist religious fanatics. It's doubtful that Iran can overthrow their government, but the Soviet Union did collapse on its own so you never know.
bearister
SAVAK - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAVAK

Woody Allen poked fun at the " Meet the new boss…Same as the old boss" syndrome and how power corrupts in this scene from Bananas:

*"Time magazine on February 19, 1979, described SAVAK as having "long been Iran's most hated and feared institution" which had "tortured and murdered thousands of the Shah's opponents."[4] The Federation of American Scientists also found it guilty of "the torture and execution of thousands of political prisoners" and symbolizing "the Shah's rule from 1963-1979." The FAS list of SAVAK torture methods included "electric shock, whipping, beating, inserting broken glass and pouring boiling water into the rectum, tying weights to the testicles, and the extraction of teeth and nails."
-Wikipedia
Big C
CaliforniaEternal said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

The shah was infinitely better than brain dead Mullahs. The shah's son is a great advocate for a democratic Iran and peace with the US and Israel. It's too bad, Iran has great potential if they weren't controlled by fascist religious fanatics. It's doubtful that Iran can overthrow their government, but the Soviet Union did collapse on its own so you never know.

I am not a fan of the "brain dead Mullahs", believe me, but the Shah had his own set of problems, too. And once we start getting into regime change it almost always opens up a can of worms.

Anyway, Iran: two thumbs down (from me)
bearister
How Netanyahu views retaliation (as expressed through a surrogate in the British tabs):

The targets Israel should hit starting with Iran nuke lair

https://mol.im/a/13311865
bearister
Angry driver on Golden Gate Bridge today:

movielover
bearister said:

How Netanyahu views retaliation (as expressed through a surrogate in the British tabs):

The targets Israel should hit starting with Iran nuke lair

https://mol.im/a/13311865

The neocons have wanted to attack Iran for years. Colonel Douglass McGregor says they wanted to attack Iran on four separate ocassions during President Trump's watch - which he declined.

Beware. Biden's advisors gave us the Afghanistan debacle; our failed proxy war w Russia; hallowed out NATO; and the Gaza disaster.
movielover
India Today: Iran threatens to deploy 'weapons never used before' if Israel strikes back

Israel's military says it is prepared to retaliate against Iran's recent attack, while Iran vows to 'respond within seconds' to any strikes from Israel.
bearister
Palestinian Chicken
USC cancels valedictorian's speech under the cover of "security concerns" when the real reason is that the valedictorian is a Muslim who unshockingly doesn't support the genocidal state of Israel. Racist USC alums wrote to the school to cancel her.

Note that although she's accused of having antisemitic posts, nobody actually shows evidence of what those posts are.

BearGoggles
Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

We have a lot of iron in the gulf right now. Putin's proxies are sharing a lot of nonsense but no one believes that Iran wants to provoke a US response.

That said, we were better off with Iran in the JCPOA. Terminating it has been as bad as everyone expected and has made Iran much harder to reason with. We've essentially eliminated the carrot entirely from the carrot and stick approach. Given that the stick is just sanctions or war, and we've been using sanctions, it doesn't give us a lot to maneuver with.

If Netanyahu actually does strike back at Iran, and it's a material strike, it will be very interesting to see how that further deteriorates Biden's support for Netanyahu (and Israel). All reports are that Biden told Netanyahu in no uncertain terms that we aren't going to support him in offensive ops against Iran.

The other things we are learning is that the GOP continues to egg on Netanyahu to respond to Iran, which is despicable. You would think Netanyahu learned his lesson from Trump "leaking" Israeli military secrets to Putin.

This is based on the unsupported belief that Iran can, in the long term, be influenced by carrots to stop malign behavior. There is literally no rational basis for that fantasy. The Iranian regime is explicitly founded on the principal of spreading Shia Islam and death to its opponents, of which Israel and America are the leading two. There are no carrots anyone can offer them to truly change their religious beliefs and pursuit of their fascist political islam.

Meanwhile, they take Biden's carrots, turn them into weapons and centrefuges, and then do what they want. And because Obama/Biden (and now Biden and his lackeys) were/are so desperate to get a deal, they cut deals that are not (and for the reasons stated above cannot be) long term/permanent solutions (i.e., the JCPOA).

The mullahs and jihadists are psychopaths; but they are strategic and patient. They know exactly how to play Obama/Biden and their voters. They know Biden will never really use the stick against them (only against USA allies like Israel). Biden is willing to let Israel and Ukraine fight defensive wars; but is unwilling to support them in doing the things that actually win the wars (i.e., escalate or threaten to do so).

If Biden is such a cool hand, why has he undermined Israel in a way that has caused Hamas to refuse all of the cease power offers? Hamas thinks they are better off to wait - precisely because Biden and many of his dem party team are ratcheting up pressure on Israel. The only way to find a solution is to make Hamas think things will get worse for Hamas if this drags on (they don't care if things are bad for other Palestinians).

Biden has done the exact opposite of what he should do. He should be signaling to Hamas (and Qatar) that Israel will be given free reign to end this unless: (i) all hostages are released; and (ii) hamas gives up power. He should be pressuring Qatar and Turkey directly. The news leaks should be about things Biden will do on these fronts; not how he's raining in Bibi.

Biden is a modern day Neville Chamberlain. He doesn't understand deterrence or how his soft approach emboldened China, Putin and now Iran.

movielover
Unit2Sucks
BearGoggles said:

Unit2Sucks said:

bearister said:

This is based on the unsupported belief that Iran can, in the long term, be influenced by carrots to stop malign behavior. There is literally no rational basis for that fantasy. The Iranian regime is explicitly founded on the principal of spreading Shia Islam and death to its opponents, of which Israel and America are the leading two. There are no carrots anyone can offer them to truly change their religious beliefs and pursuit of their fascist political islam.

Meanwhile, they take Biden's carrots, turn them into weapons and centrefuges, and then do what they want. And because Obama/Biden (and now Biden and his lackeys) were/are so desperate to get a deal, they cut deals that are not (and for the reasons stated above cannot be) long term/permanent solutions (i.e., the JCPOA).

The mullahs and jihadists are psychopaths; but they are strategic and patient. They know exactly how to play Obama/Biden and their voters. They know Biden will never really use the stick against them (only against USA allies like Israel). Biden is willing to let Israel and Ukraine fight defensive wars; but is unwilling to support them in doing the things that actually win the wars (i.e., escalate or threaten to do so).

If Biden is such a cool hand, why has he undermined Israel in a way that has caused Hamas to refuse all of the cease power offers? Hamas thinks they are better off to wait - precisely because Biden and many of his dem party team are ratcheting up pressure on Israel. The only way to find a solution is to make Hamas think things will get worse for Hamas if this drags on (they don't care if things are bad for other Palestinians).

Biden has done the exact opposite of what he should do. He should be signaling to Hamas (and Qatar) that Israel will be given free reign to end this unless: (i) all hostages are released; and (ii) hamas gives up power. He should be pressuring Qatar and Turkey directly. The news leaks should be about things Biden will do on these fronts; not how he's raining in Bibi.

Biden is a modern day Neville Chamberlain. He doesn't understand deterrence or how his soft approach emboldened China, Putin and now Iran.

Your opinion is based on the unsupported belief that Hamas cares about the people in Palestine and/or that the leaders have any exposure to the war. As far as we know, the leaders of Hamas do not spend any time in Gaza and are largely unaffected by the war. And I think it's quite obvious that they are not trying to minimize Palestinian casualties. Your suggestion is that the war would end if Hamas' leaders think ending the war will improve life in Gaza which they give zero foxks about. The only thing they care about is remaining in power at any cost and by any means necessary.

As for Iran, unless you are looking to send Us troops to fight a war there, and willing to accept a large increase in terrorist attacks on the US, how exactly do you think we can deter Iran? Getting out of the JCPOA while remaining isolationist militarily won't help.

And as far as the right wing misinformation about Biden funding Iran's military, you are smarter than that. None of the money has gone to build the weapons used in Israel. The announcement of the humanitarian release of funds certainly didn't enable Iran to build their ****ty drones and missiles (which it has been stockpiling for years, with an increase after your guy Trump ended the JCPOA). Funds were rleleased for food and medicine after the war started but there is no indication that it has had or could have any impact on Iran's military capabilities. Don't fall for right wing disinformation.
Palestinian Chicken

bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

CaliforniaEternal said:

Yep, left wingers/islamists know they can disrupt events of any speaker they find objectionable with no consequences and campuses don't care unless it's a rare situation when a right wing group causes the disruption and then they get all holy about free speech, threat to democracy, etc.
There are a lot of radicalized weirdos out there that don't believe in democracy, only in their extreme purity tests and fringe beliefs. Does it make sense to self-immolate in hopes that a non-participating country will end a conflict that neither side is keen on ending? Of course not, but they've been radicalized to believe this stuff. Not so ionically, the radicalization mirrors Islamic extremist radicalization, and has already led to more violence.

It just came out that Aaron Bushnell, the person who died after setting himself on fire outside the front gate of the Embassy of Israel in Washington, D.C. is trans.
Zippergate
https://open.substack.com/pub/meaninginhistory/p/mac-on-fire-the-problem?r=aiop6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

"there's already been information out that we spent about $ 1.5 billion dollar in helping Israel repulse this relatively small level of attack. If this continues, if it gets into a war, what is the risk that we run out of the kinds of interceptor missiles or artillery shells or all these things that we keep giving to both Israel and to Ukraine? I mean, we have a limited number of some of these things. JD Vance published a piece last week or so talking specifically about our limitations in producing Pac 3 missiles for the Patriot AA defense systems"
"Well, remember that it's sort of a rule of thumb that you fire two or three of our air defense missiles at any incoming target, so you can go through our entire inventory in a matter of a few days, so I think Senator Vance's concern is very legitimate. Again, there isn't any thinking here. Everything is impulse driven. There is no strategy. ... We have a government that's gone out of its way to promote war in Eastern Europe and I think now will promote war in the Middle East. "

CaliforniaEternal
This is what khamenei88 and seabass sinwar support. Doubt they'd last a single day in Gaza.

bearister

Here we go.

https://abc7news.com/israel-gaza-updates-israeli-missiles-hit-a-site-in-iran/14691392/
bearister
Israel 'strikes Iran' as explosions rock hostile state

https://mol.im/a/13326307
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

Here we go.

https://abc7news.com/israel-gaza-updates-israeli-missiles-hit-a-site-in-iran/14691392/

Pretty ballsy move. Will be interesting to see how the Biden and Iran react. Especially right before we were going to write a multi billion dollar check to Israel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.