White House has settled in

678,136 Views | 4703 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbbass1
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearNIt said:

Unit2Sucks said:

So what do you all think of the new IG report on Comey?

I for one an sorely disappointed that Comey didn't tweet something like "No collusion, no obstruction, complete exoneration."
He did tweet "Total Exoneration".

Oh I didn't realize that. Did Hillary hold a press conference calling him reckless? So many parallels.
bearister
tRump pictured assessing Hurricane Dorian threat at Mar a Lago:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
If Dorian hits Mar-a-lago...the short fingered vulgarian might lose his shtt, might turn into a metaphor of some kind.
BearlyCareAnymore
Unit2Sucks said:

I for one an sorely disappointed that Comey didn't tweet something like "No collusion, no obstruction, complete exoneration."

Obviously you aren't supposed to leak things like that even if it is done all the time. There was only one official conclusion they could make. It wasn't anything new.
B.A. Bearacus
BearlyCareAnymore
B.A. Bearacus said:

saying Trump's lies are exaggeration and spin is exaggeration and spin.
Unit2Sucks
OaktownBear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Obviously you aren't supposed to leak things like that even if it is done all the time. There was only one official conclusion they could make. It wasn't anything new.
Yes - what I think is the most remarkable parallel is that Comey held a press conference to chastize Hillary and then less than 6 months later made a similar error in judgment and now wants people to apologize to him. I don't feel like he has any remorse for Hillary or his role in elevating Trump, but he is more than happy to play the victim.

I'm not sure which is worse - Comey's complete lack of self-reflection or the "moral" standard that he publicly holds other public servants to.
Unit2Sucks
In unrelated news, I thought this WaPo piece about the parallels between today's "reasonable conservatives" and the dispassionate reasoning used by the antebellum South was really interesting. I would imagine many of our conservative friends would disagree with the comparisons drawn but kudos to the author for the depth of knowledge.

Favorite quote:

Quote:

Lincoln understood that antebellum reasoning was more dangerous than straightforward defenses of chattel slavery. He feared that by claiming to stand for freedom, reason and civility, and by framing themselves as beleaguered victims, pro-Southern thinkers could draft new warriors who thought they were fighting for something fundamentally American, even if they were wary of slavery itself.

bearister
My nomination for Father of the Year:

*Does tRump think it easy fighting his genetic code?
bearister
bearister
Roy Cohn did the impossible," Mr. Tyrnauer said. "He created a president from beyond the grave. I don't think there's any disputing that. The basic lessons that Trump learned from Cohn were: Never apologize. If someone hits you, hit them back a thousand times harder. Any publicity is good publicity. And find an 'other.'"
"With Trump, the other is Mexicans, Latinos, Muslims, I mean, fill in the blank," he said. "The lesson of this from history is: Pick your other. That's what a demagogue does. Trump's kind of an empty vessel. I think he's eerily similar to Joe McCarthy in that way. I think it basically comes down to something Ken Auletta said in the film: What a demagogue does is throw out an untruth or a lie and then stands back and watches as that fills the void." Maureen Dowd
bearister
Trump revels in 'chopper talk' as White House press lectern gathers dust

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/sep/01/trump-white-house-press-briefing-chopper-talk?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

"He went on: "Because it's hard for the audio to pick up the question, people at home often don't hear it, only him rambling. He particularly likes the format because he gets whatever he wants and we frequently don't because of what happens trying to ask questions in front of a running helicopter engine."

Feinberg added: "It's a way for the president and administration to cloak themselves in the mantle of transparency while providing little useful information."
bearister
Trump Invites Pence to Stay at His PlaceThen Hands Taxpayers the Bill

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/597295/

BearNIt
The Idiot in Chief has decided that to build his wall that he went on and on about in rally after rally where he promised Mexico would pay for that wall, he is going to pull $3.6 billon dollars from the Defense budget. This will will put some 126 building projects on hold. The White House and Pentagon still haven't disclosed all of the projects will be on hold or eliminated but half are said to be foreign projects and half are domestic projects. How desperate is The Clown in Chief to make U.S. taxpayers pay for his campaign promise that he said Mexico was going to pay for? Does he actually think that no one will call BULL**** on this move? How will the reduction in building projects affect those states and districts they were supposed to take place in and what affect will it have on the military? Not very supportive of the military if that money was to go for military housing, repair of military bases that sustained damage in weather related events, or upgrades to bases.

Some of the projects on the list that are at risk:
  • $31 million for a mission training complex at East Camp Grafenwoehr, Germany
  • $50 million for a rotary wing apron at Wheeler Army Air Field in Hawaii
  • $16 million for a railcar holding area for Crane Army Ammunition Plant in Indiana
  • $53 million for a UAV hangar for Kunsan Air Base in Korea
  • $40 million for a information systems complex at White Sands, New Mexico
  • $95 million for an engineering center at the U.S. Military Academy
Unit2Sucks
BearNIt said:

The Idiot in Chief has decided that to build his wall that he went on and on about in rally after rally where he promised Mexico would pay for that wall, he is going to pull $3.6 billon dollars from the Defense budget. This will will put some 126 building projects on hold.
Let's be real - they will come hat in hand to congress asking for more money to fund these projects for the military and they will get it. Trump and his defenders may be ecstatic with his use of executive overreach to use funds allocated to the military for non-military spending but may not feel the same way if the next president uses military funding to build abortion clinics, fund gun control research, environmental protections or other anathema to conservatives.
bearister
okaydo

bearister
bearister
okaydo said:

That is so brazen and so f@ucked up that you have to come close to almost respecting that.
Another Bear
You know when you're just out of college and you're starting the job search and your uncle tells you, "Just fake it until you know it." MethinksTrumpo took that advice as a life motto: just fake it and make shtt up.
BearNIt
Unit2Sucks said:

BearNIt said:

The Idiot in Chief has decided that to build his wall that he went on and on about in rally after rally where he promised Mexico would pay for that wall, he is going to pull $3.6 billon dollars from the Defense budget. This will will put some 126 building projects on hold.
Let's be real - they will come hat in hand to congress asking for more money to fund these projects for the military and they will get it. Trump and his defenders may be ecstatic with his use of executive overreach to use funds allocated to the military for non-military spending but may not feel the same way if the next president uses military funding to build abortion clinics, fund gun control research, environmental protections or other anathema to conservatives.
My problem isn't that Congress will at some point replace the money pulled out of the Defense budget, my problem is that the President of The United States is pulling the money out of the Defense budget when Congress said "No". Congress had the power of the purse and the Idiot in Chief found a workaround to fulfill his idiotic campaign pledge that a wall would be built and "Mexico will pay for it". Mexico has said, "**** You, we'er not paying for that ****ing Wall"! The President has been saying "that the wall is being built and Mexico is paying for it", which is Bull***** The U.S. taxpayer is paying for the ****ing wall. This means that the next person to be elected President will use the same trick to fund their pet project and if people on the opposite side utter a word the new President will point to this and think "go **** yourself, the last guy did it". So strap yourself in and get ready. The Supreme Court has determined that this is within the President's authority which further erodes the idea of the power of Congress as a coequal branch of the government. Checks and balances within the U.S. government are going the way of the dinosaurs, EXTINCT.
BearNIt
bearister said:

okaydo said:

That is so brazen and so f@ucked up that you have to come close to almost respecting that.
Can you imagine what would have happened if Obama had used a sharpie to include a state that wasn't on the official map that projected the path of a hurricane? Immediate condemnation, a call for his resignation, declarations made by Republicans that Obama believes that he is a dictator, a call for hearings, and all sorts of committees investigating, " Sharpie Gate".
Unit2Sucks
BearNIt said:

Unit2Sucks said:

BearNIt said:

The Supreme Court has determined that this is within the President's authority which further erodes the idea of the power of Congress as a coequal branch of the government. Checks and balances within the U.S. government are going the way of the dinosaurs, EXTINCT.

Yup totally agree. The last point in my post was alluding to this as well. After the way Trump, as enabled by Republicans, has assaulted our governing norms, he next president (likely to be a democrat) won't have any reason to return to any semblance of comity.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
That f'ing idiot is only obsessed with Dorian because his golf course is there. The shallowness, narcissism and self-interest of Trump is truly tremendous and unbelievable. I think he has brain damage.
bearister
...and what looks like a gag in a Borat movie, a wood carving in honor of Melania in her native Slovenia:

Eastern Oregon Bear
B.A. Bearacus said:

The charts Trump is trying to prove his case with were already several days old when he tweeted about Alabama. If he's going to be a weather expert, he should do his homework and get the latest data. Also, at best about a third of the ensemble members on the spaghetti plot have Dorian going into Georgia or points west. The others have it much closer to the eventual track. That's fairly typical of the ensemble plots that far out. Dismiss the outliers and expect there's still considerable uncertainty several days out. For a plot generated a week ago, I'd say it was pretty good. Hurricane forecasting is tough.
okaydo

okaydo

BearNIt
okaydo said:

BULL*****

Maybe he would like to testify before Congress and walk Congress through his explanation of events? I'm sure the Idiot in Chief would waive Executive Privilege.
B.A. Bearacus
T hates being laughed at more than anything. Only thing worse is being laughed at about something involving a red state (the only ones he cares about). So this is some category 5 ridicule he is feeling right now. We have to see if his category 11 power of delusion is up to the task.
Another Bear
Trump will hate Obama for eternity because of the WHCD joke.
okaydo

bearister
First Page Last Page
Page 106 of 135

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.