White House has settled in

678,155 Views | 4703 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbbass1
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I almost ... almost ... can't believe that the white house is so dysfunctional that Trump was actually permitted to send this letter to Erdogan. There are so many lowlights from this presidency, but this should be an embarrassing letter for anyone who actually thinks Trump can function as president. The onion may as well shut down now that stuff like this is real.

okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/16/politics/trump-schumer-pelosi-meltdown/index.html

"Trump had 'meltdown' and called Pelosi a 'third-rate politician'"

Hoyer: "I have served with six Presidents. I have been in many, many, many meetings like this," he said, "never have I seen a president treat so disrespectfully a co-equal branch of the government of the United States."
B.A. Bearacus
B.A. Bearacus
Pelosi's patience for historic stupidity running low.
B.A. Bearacus

Per Dem source, T bragged about his "nasty" letter.
blungld
Unit2Sucks said:

I almost ... almost ... can't believe that the white house is so dysfunctional that Trump was actually permitted to send this letter to Erdogan. There are so many lowlights from this presidency, but this should be an embarrassing letter for anyone who actually thinks Trump can function as president. The onion may as well shut down now that stuff like this is real.

The worst part of it is that he used two spaces after each period. Embarrassing.
B.A. Bearacus

Our leader has updated her cover photo.

Light in the face of darkness.

dajo9
blungld said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The worst part of it is that he used two spaces after each period. Embarrassing.

Wait. Is that a bad thing? For how long?
American Vermin
BearsWiin
dajo9 said:

blungld said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It's a generational thing, it would seem. I know I was taught two spaces after a colon and period, one after a comma or semicolon, but I was taught grammar in the 1970s. From Wikipedia:

Until the early 2000s, the Modern Language Association (MLA) left room for its adherents to single or double sentence space. In 2008, it modified its position on sentence spacing to the following:
Quote:

In an earlier era, writers using a typewriter commonly left two spaces after a period, a question mark, or an exclamation point. Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after concluding punctuation marks as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, some publishers' guidelines for preparing a manuscript's electronic files ask professional authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print. Because it is increasingly common for manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all concluding punctuation marks, this spacing is recommended and shown in the examples in this manual.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing_in_language_and_style_guides#cite_note-29][29][/url]
dajo9
BearsWiin said:

dajo9 said:

blungld said:

Unit2Sucks said:

It's a generational thing, it would seem. I know I was taught two spaces after a colon and period, one after a comma or semicolon, but I was taught grammar in the 1970s. From Wikipedia:

Until the early 2000s, the Modern Language Association (MLA) left room for its adherents to single or double sentence space. In 2008, it modified its position on sentence spacing to the following:
Quote:

In an earlier era, writers using a typewriter commonly left two spaces after a period, a question mark, or an exclamation point. Publications in the United States today usually have the same spacing after concluding punctuation marks as between words on the same line. Since word processors make available the same fonts used by typesetters for printed works, many writers, influenced by the look of typeset publications, now leave only one space after a concluding punctuation mark. In addition, some publishers' guidelines for preparing a manuscript's electronic files ask professional authors to type only the spaces that are to appear in print. Because it is increasingly common for manuscripts to be prepared with a single space after all concluding punctuation marks, this spacing is recommended and shown in the examples in this manual.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing_in_language_and_style_guides#cite_note-29][29][/url]

&#$@ing Millenials
American Vermin
Another Bear
I was taught two spaces in HS typing. I was also taught period inside quotation marks. I mention the latter because I got into an argument with a TA at Cal about it...a former journalist. I was correct.
dajo9
Another Bear said:

I was taught two spaces in HS typing. I was also taught period inside quotation marks. I mention the latter because I got into an argument with a TA at Cal about it...a former journalist. I was correct.

I was also taught period inside quotation but I refuse to do it. It is illogical. The period is the last thing in a sentence.

Two spaces after a period just looks good.
American Vermin
Another Bear
dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

I was also taught period inside quotation but I refuse to do it. It is illogical. The period is the last thing in a sentence.

I was told two spaces made it easier to read. I don't know the real explanation but that always made sense to me.
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
dajo9 said:

BearsWiin said:

dajo9 said:

blungld said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Quote:

&#$@ing Millenials

I'm just slightly older than a Millennial and I also learned one space after a period. (And the punctuation goes inside the quotation marks.)
blungld
Another Bear said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

I was told two spaces made it easier to read. I don't know the real explanation but that always made sense to me.

Yes, we were all taught two spaces when we used typewriters and it does look good. Otherwise the end of sentences are not set off from normal letter breaks. But word processors are smart. They know you just typed a period and so they insert a double space. When you add two spaces you are effectively adding four spaces. That looks horrible. You have white gaps floating all over your page.

Publishing standard is one space now. The two spacers just look non-tech savvy (unwilling to change).
dajo9
blungld said:

Another Bear said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

Yes, we were all taught two spaces when we used typewriters and it does look good. Otherwise the end of sentences are not set of from normal letter breaks. But word processors are smart. They know you just typed a period abd so they insert a double space. When you add two spaces you are effectively adding four spaces. That looks horrible. You have white gaps floating all over your page. It is not publishing standard anymore and defending it is just not knowing how word processors work and that it can be both true that it used to be correct for good reason, and it shiws you are old also for good reason if you can't change the habit.

I get it. It's a technology thing not a grammar thing. I have some sympathy for them here. Auto-correct is a menace.
American Vermin
bearister

"A one-page letter from Trump to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan (read it below) sounded fake when it first surfaced on Twitter, but was real: "Let's work out a good deal! You don't want to be responsible for slaughtering thousands of people, and I don't want to be responsible for destroying the Turkish economy and I will. ... Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool! I will call you later."

During a meeting with the congressional leadership in the Cabinet room, according to a senior Democratic aide who provided a readout, Trump said that Jim Mattis, a four-star Marine general and Trump's first defense secretary, was "the world's most overrated general. ... You know why? He wasn't tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in one month."

Pelosi told reporters in the White House driveway afterward: "What we witnessed on the part of the president was a meltdown sad to say."

Trump tweeted: "Nancy Pelosi needs help fast! There is either something wrong with her 'upstairs,' or she just plain doesn't like our great Country. She had a total meltdown in the White House today. It was very sad to watch. Pray for her, she is a very sick person!" Axios

Question: Are those surrounding POTUS thinking 25th Amendment or is the Fox News analysis of yesterday's events accurate and there is nothing to be concerned about?
concordtom
bearister said:

During a meeting with the congressional leadership in the Cabinet room, according to a senior Democratic aide who provided a readout, Trump said that Jim Mattis, a four-star Marine general and Trump's first defense secretary, was "the world's most overrated general. ... You know why? He wasn't tough enough. I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in one month."

And then let them all go in 24 hours?
blungld
dajo9 said:

blungld said:

Another Bear said:

dajo9 said:

Another Bear said:

Yes, we were all taught two spaces when we used typewriters and it does look good. Otherwise the end of sentences are not set of from normal letter breaks. But word processors are smart. They know you just typed a period abd so they insert a double space. When you add two spaces you are effectively adding four spaces. That looks horrible. You have white gaps floating all over your page. It is not publishing standard anymore and defending it is just not knowing how word processors work and that it can be both true that it used to be correct for good reason, and it shiws you are old also for good reason if you can't change the habit.

I get it. It's a technology thing not a grammar thing. I have some sympathy for them here. Auto-correct is a menace.
There is an irony wrapped in hypocrisy that in my post I had tons of "old person writing text on a mobile device typos"--including a double space.
concordtom
bearister said:

Look also at the hands.

On the right, hands clasped. Perhaps self comforting gesture or a sign of resignation, nothing to say.

On the left, hands on chin, a sign of ponder, as if Nancy has a good point they are considering. Leaning forward, engaged.

And Trump himself just looks like "*** are you doing standing up to me?" Incredulous.

If this were a high res image, it's poster frameable worthy.

Also of note,
The only woman in the room, and no people of color, all whites.
concordtom
bearister said:

Trump tweeted: "Nancy Pelosi needs help fast! There is either something wrong with her 'upstairs,' or she just plain doesn't like our great Country.

Trump goes to that line often, that if anyone opposes him, they don't love the country as a whole.
He is a sick man to equate the two.

concordtom
Anyone else think the Pelosi-Trump photo is reminiscent of this photo ?

bearister
If I am an enemy of the United States, I make all the bold moves I have had on the drawing board NOW, out of fear tRump doesn't get reelected.
blungld
bearister said:

"I captured ISIS. Mattis said it would take two years. I captured them in one month."
Yeah, old bone spurs was out there on the field of battle like Achilles, kicking ass and taking names, unlike all those other patsies in the US Military. He conquered the entire Middle East his bad ass self, no one helped, a feat that not one incompetent US General said could ever be done. But he LOVES and respects the military like no US President before.

Oh, and a de facto surrender to Russia/Syria/ISIS/Turkey is of course the best and most prudent way to pull out of an engagement. That wasn't weakness. No. That was again him being strong and decisive. Don't think for a second that he was being Erdoigan and Putin's bitttcch doing exactly what they wanted on secret phone calls that resulted in last minute completely unplanned operation that was tantamount to total chaos without even consulting with DOD or State Department. That is exactly how a smart, brave, military leader acts. You NEVER want to put an agreement and truce in place first and THEN withdraw in organized fashion over months. What you want to do is wait until the enemy calls you and says we are invading tomorrow and then just say okay and then write some silly letter after the fact that shows how "strong" you were in your capitulation.

By the way, he is also the sole decision maker for this, but also not to blame at all, unless people like it, then it's all his great decision.

And he is proud of his actions and thinks it is the most strategically brilliant surrender ever--but he is sending Pence and others and making sanctions because it worked perfectly and there is nothing to be fixed or reprimanded in his heroic "America first" (read Russia mafia first) action.

I shake my head at him and the elastic bending of logic and loyalty his support go to defend the worst things we have seen by our government in our lifetime. He is so much more than incompetent and criminal, he is an active agent of destruction of American global might, diplomacy, and the sacrifices of every military death and life spent in service. It's not Liberal venting to say he is nothing short of a total traitor. How he is in office for even one more day appalls me. As Trump likes to say, "in the old days when we were tough" this guy would have been hoisted up on the gallows a long long time ago.

The only question that remains is what is the Kompromat or greed that drives his pro-Putin actions? We need to know if this all a cover up for material Putin has on him, or is he or family under physical threat, or is this all just the actions of a freelancing criminal with deep connections to the mob/Oligarchs/dictators who sees future opportunities (it's all just greed). We need to know how the strings are pulled to prevent this happening again.

I have zero respect for the man, and even less for anyone who does.
blungld
bearister said:

If I am an enemy of the United States, I make all the bold moves I have had on the drawing board NOW, out of fear tRump doesn't get reelected.
I don't get why no one in MSM is stating the obvious. Trump approved actions he knew were coming and had already green lighted. Turkey didn't plan that invasion on a Sunday night. They had already coordinated with Russia and called Trump just to say it's happening, stand down. And he said, okay.

Instead of "he plays things by the gut" narrative, which makes no sense, how about the more common sense analysis that he makes unilateral "decisions" in secret without any apparatus of State because he knows they are either questionable or illegal and he is following orders not making policy.

I think what we are seeing is such confirmation that Trump's allies (yes he has different allies than our country) see the window closing and are triggering plans and actions before there is a change at the top in the US. These actions by Turkey and Russia are the most obvious confirmation that they know they have a puppet President, and they think his days are numbered.
bearister
Do you ever notice that when tRump is in the clutches of one of his psychotic episodes that the only Crime Family members that peer out of their gopher holes are the two people that he probably still beats, his sons.
B.A. Bearacus
blungld
bearister said:

Do you ever notice that when tRump is in the clutches of one of his psychotic episodes that the only Crime Family members that peer out of their gopher holes are the two people that he probably still beats, his sons.
And those gophers are then followed by the next level of the corrupt inner circle, WH loyalists...and then Nunes, Jordon, Goetz...and then once the crazy has been stated...Mitch pokes his head out of shell to test the wind blowing...and then Graham...and then Hannity declares the State-sponsored spin and the "don't believe what you see and hear it's still the Liberals that are evil and corrupt...hate...hate...hate"...and then the words are repeated throughout right-wing media...and then Russian intelligence supports the new lie through social media...and then the message boards and comments start parroting complete fabrication and continued total allegiance and cognitive dissonance...and then we get the head-smacking rants here on BI by the pro-Trump handful who proudly boast their regurgitation with smugness and self-righteousness and not a whiff of self-awareness, irony, or the possibility that it is THEY who are being duped and not the boogeyman Libtard (you know those often college educated, empathetic, fellow Americans who DO NOT listen to the red-faced rants of crazy white supremicists).

Just look back at the BI threads of the last two years, and the time and time again defenses of each new infraction by Trump and how their positions look ludicrous, especially in light of the fact that they are being presented with mostly accurate information even on these threads that they refuse to hear or adopt. Just keep thinking that their perspective and news sources are the Truth.
Another Bear
bearister said:

That's the same look school boys have after Mother Superior raps them on the knuckles and tells them they're going to HELL unless their sit up and fly straight.
Unit2Sucks
White house is now acknowledging there was a quid pro quo with Ukraine but it's totally cool and they do it all the time so get over it.

But her emails.

B.A. Bearacus
Mulvaney will be joining T in the afterlife. Hope he does ok in heat.
First Page Last Page
Page 112 of 135

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.