White House has settled in

678,189 Views | 4703 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbbass1
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister
It is kind of scary how intelligent the author must be to put something together like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jul/14/the-death-of-truth-how-we-gave-up-on-facts-and-ended-up-with-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearDevil
Pence is pathetic and incredibly dumb. Went out of his way to praise Trump's European vacation. Sasse, Haley, and even Mitt are positioning themselves for 2020 or 2024 by distancing themselves from Trump, but Pence appears to believe that he'll ride Trump's popularity in 2024z
sycasey
BearDevil said:

Pence is pathetic and incredibly dumb. Went out of his way to praise Trump's European vacation. Sasse, Haley, and even Mitt are positioning themselves for 2020 or 2024 by distancing themselves from Trump, but Pence appears to believe that he'll ride Trump's popularity in 2024z
Pence has little choice but to be publicly all-in. A member of Congress can safely distance himself, but the VP?
sycasey
Aaaaaaaand . . . Trump retreats again.

What a damn clown show.
okaydo
BearDevil said:

I don't know if Pence is even up to the task of wanting to run. He was deeply unpopular in Indiana -- friggin Indiana! -- when Trump gave him a lifeline. He'll always be grateful to Trump. But he -- unlike Trump -- is smart enough to look good when he screws up and does evil things. That's why I fear him more than Trump.

Trump his supporters to deeper and deeper depths.

--The same Trump supporters who will call you un-American because you don't support the president are the same people who didn't consider Obama American.*

--The same people who are ready to get up in arms for Sarah Palin (falsely) saying that Sacha Baron Cohen dressed up as a disabled veteran are the same people who support a president who has dissed a wide swath of veterans and who has made fun of the disable.d

--The same people who will called Obama a traitor and a Manchurian candidate have no problem with Trump licking Putin's testicles.

With Pence, it would be the same, but more nuanced. He would be like Bush, a more personable face to all this hypocrisy.

blungld
I keep posting this, but these positions are not logical or even thought through. It's just tribalism. Trump could say broccoli is cancer causing tomorrow and his base would start bashing broccoli...and worse they would act like they had always hated broccoli...and then go back to eating it a week later if Trump changes his position. They are literally behaving as if in a cult. I don't understand it at all. But these people are obedient uneducated followers of religion, sports, pop culture, etc. this is their way in the world.

Lackoff's conservative moral model, the hierarchy of authority and the strict father explains these clearly contradictory positions. They do not care about content, truth, or meanings of things. They only care about context. Meaning, who is telling them to think this thing. Patriotism only means what a member of their tribe says it means. Policy is only what Trump tells them it is. Faith is only what their church says it is. There is no ability to think for themselves or have words like freedom mean actual liberty for all people, or justice for all people, or fairness, or compassion. None of these many anything outside a leader telling them what it means in a given situation.
sonofabear51
So I agree,
And totally. In my mind, there has never been any question. But how do we get out of this? I get it, as do so many others, but if there is a path, please enlighten.
Another Bear
Rachel Maddow: Congress begins to shape plan for protecting US from Trump crisis

Summary: president is usually the one who calls the shots during a national security crisis. However because the president IS the national security crisis personified, the burden shifts to anther branch, who can make a decision. Congress is trying to figure that out. Two committees are looking at it.

Congress is doing its job here. If POTUS is incapable of doing his sworn duties, someone has to step in to protect the interests of the country.

Also Dan Coats says the red lights are blinking, like 9/11. We're still under cyber-attack. If this is true, they must be hacking the positive polls for Trump. Someone figured how to hack to polls. Those polls never seem right but if you keep showing them, they some how become fact. If you can hack an election, you can hack polls.
blungld
Another Bear said:

Rachel Maddow: Congress begins to shape plan for protecting US from Trump crisis

Summary: president is usually the one who calls the shots during a national security crisis. However because the president IS the national security crisis personified, the burden shifts to anther branch, who can make a decision. Congress is trying to figure that out. Two committees are looking at it.

Congress is doing its job here. If POTUS is incapable of doing his sworn duties, someone has to step in to protect the interests of the country.

Also Dan Coats says the red lights are blinking, like 9/11. We're still under cyber-attack. If this is true, they must be hacking the positive polls for Trump. Someone figured how to hack to polls. Those polls never seem right but if you keep showing them, they some how become fact. If you can hack an election, you can hack polls.

Rachel's to do list for Congress was so shrewd. Called attention to many obvious and logical actions Congress should take. But won't. How many GOP took Russian money or have been co-conspirators? How deep does this go? Trump not the only one with unexplainable behavior in the face of election assault and attack on our country. Pence seems obviously dirty. Nunes. Ryan? Will we see 10 members or more swept up by this investigation? Are the resignations secret deals cut to not prosecute?

I wish Rachel's list was typed up and became a viral petition. These would be the actions of a non corrupted government.
concordtom
BearDevil said:

No doubt, what a pathetic speech that was!
Pence wants the password to the Cayman's bank account.
concordtom
The USA is very proud of our peaceful transition of power.
There is also a code by ex-Presidents to not speak about stuff and hamper the next president.
Anyone believe Trump will go quietly, on either account?

I think he'll rob the White House of famous artifacts, too!
Liar, thief, scoundrel.
dajo9
I'm thinking the next President won't even be able to go into the White House until it is thoroughly debugged. Maria Butiina, the Russian spy who was just arrested, was in the Oval Office with Trump.
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

I'm thinking the next President won't even be able to go into the White House until it is thoroughly debugged. Maria Butiina, the Russian spy who was just arrested, was in the Oval Office with Trump.

I would start by replacing the toilet in the master bedroom. Prior occupant was too full of something.
Another Bear
This is going to fuel the mid-terms. Trump and the GOP will try and force his nomination through...and it could be trouble given Helsinki and Trump being identified as a national security risk to his own country. Also just a guess but Helsinki will slow down any government business.

538: Brett Kavanaugh Is Polling Like Robert Bork And Harriet Miers

Quote:

You may be sensing a pattern. It's not a huge sample size, but in the last few decades at least, Supreme Court nominees as unpopular as Kavanaugh have never been successfully confirmed.

bearister
dajo9 said:

Every action tRump takes should be revoked, cancelled and made null and void by his successor. His portrait should be used as fuel for a weenie roast. A HazMat team should cleanse the White House. And last, but not least, other than in footnotes, he should be removed from all history books, much like Keef had Mick Taylor removed from any history of the Rolling Stones he could control.
Another Bear
This party over country schlick the GOP are into is going to sink them. At a certain point meddling will be proven, and it's going to serverly wound the GOP.

Poll: 60 percent of Americans say Russia meddled in 2016 election
Quote:

A majority of Americans believe Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election, according to a new Ipsos Poll, though there's a sharp disparity along party lines.

Eighty-five percent of Democrats and 53 percent of independents say that Russia meddled in the election, while less than half of Republicans 46 percent share this same belief.

blungld
"Hi honey. I want you to know I did finally have sex with my secretary today. She is so hot. I've wanted her for years. They way she walks around in my office in those tight dresses. She looks so much better than you do. You've gained weight and I'm not as attracted to you anymore. It was the best sex of my life and I'm going to do it again soon...what's that? Oh, I think there's been a misunderstanding. I meant to say 'I did NOT finally have sex with my secretary'. I think that clarifies everything."
B.A. Bearacus
Which one of you is George F. Will?

B.A. Bearacus
Pirro: "I know a con when I see it." The audience digests what she said and the ensuing laughter sounds like a laugh track right out of Happy Days. This woman is a serious freak with evil vibes.

mikecohen
B.A. Bearacus said:

That is majorly too generous to Trump. I think he clearly understands the threats that keep him Putin's Puppet; and I think he clearly understands how to read the signals from his base that tell him what themes to play; although, as I write this, the realization occurs to me that his confusion is when he gets conflicting signals from, on the one hand, Putin, and, on the other hand, his base - not to mention the Republican donors who got the tax cut through by threatening the congressional Republicans with immediate dismissal while having the clout to accomplish that - keeping in mind, in this connection, Baron Rothschild's famous observation that the time to make money is when blood is running in the street.
okaydo

bearister
tRump has to make it easier for Uday and Qusay to pursue their favorite hobby: slaughtering endangered exotic beasts. It is hard enough hunting bald eagles in a jet helicopter with an AR-15. No need for them pesky environmental regs.

https://dailym.ai/2O4wyY7
Anarchistbear
mikecohen said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

That is majorly too generous to Trump. I think he clearly understands the threats that keep him Putin's Puppet; and I think he clearly understands how to read the signals from his base that tell him what themes to play; although, as I write this, the realization occurs to me that his confusion is when he gets conflicting signals from, on the one hand, Putin, and, on the other hand, his base - not to mention the Republican donors who got the tax cut through by threatening the congressional Republicans with immediate dismissal while having the clout to accomplish that - keeping in mind, in this connection, Baron Rothschild's famous observation that the time to make money is when blood is running in the street.

Do you really think Trump is some kind of Manchurian candidate? The guy who can't speak a coherent sentence or keep a secret. Is this a guy the Russians would choose
as an agent? No, if Putin were going to run an operation Trump would be the last guy he'd involve which is why Trump is always talking about no collusion. He actually believes it.because it's true. The involvement was likely around him not with him.
bearister
What Putin wanted was the most intellectually challenged person he could get into position to be POTUS. I think Putin going into the venture saw long odds. Much to his surprise he underestimated the number of stupid voters as well as the level of corruption of the Republicans.
mikecohen
Anarchistbear said:

mikecohen said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Do you really think Trump is some kind of Manchurian candidate? The guy who can't speak a coherent sentence or keep a secret. Is this a guy the Russians would choose
as an agent? No, if Putin were going to run an operation Trump would be the last guy he'd involve which is why Trump is always talking about no collusion. He actually believes it.because it's true. The involvement was likely around him not with him.
You miss the great likelihood that Trump's financial situation may be hopelessly compromised to Russian interests - maybe even to the point of possible instant ruination should he step out of line. For me, the reason I am willing to believe in this possibility is the overwhelming aura of submissiveness surrounding every Trump expression and attitude relating to Putin - almost like an actual marionette or dominated personality - especially when Putin is present, but expressive of fear when Putin is not there. To me, anyway, it's remarkably palpable.
Another Bear
What Putin wanted was someone he had leverage on and who he can play like a fiddle, and it seems he got both if looking at Helsinki and Russian money/money laundering.

To support the idea it's about Russian money, there's the really funny change the Trump org went from maxing out loans to paying cash like his Scottish golf course.

I think it was a long shot, long term set up...that just happened to pay off, with some hacking help.
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

mikecohen said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

You are blind.

You think when the Russians first started corrupting Trump years ago they thought he'd be President? No, they found a celebrity buffoon they could manipulate and launder money with. Then dude ran for President and the Electoral College elected him, with lots of help from people like you. You think the Russians are going to throw him out now?
Anarchistbear
if Putin controls Trump he stands up on stage in Helsinki waves his finger in Putin's face and dresses him down- that makes sense as cover and politically. This is just an ongoing fantasy. Chomsky is right- distraction is the key motive here not conspiracy.

Another Bear
I think it's both distraction and something rotten like Putin controlling Trump.
Anarchistbear
If he controls him why did Trump supply arms to the Ukraine, why did he bomb Assad positions in Syria, why did he increase sanctions, why did he stop the Iran deal, why did he call out Merkel for buying Russian gas. All of which were against Putin and an escalation of US policy
OneKeg
Anarchistbear said:

if Putin controls Trump he stands up on stage in Helsinki waves his finger in Putin's face and dresses him down- that makes sense as cover and politically. This is just an ongoing fantasy. Chomsky is right- distraction is the key motive here not conspiracy.

No. Putin doesn't particularly want or need cover. Much more useful to signal to the rest of the world that he controls the levers of power in the US. Trump was one of many irons in the fire Putin has likely got - the longshot that came through after a long period of just being a low-level financially-controlled money-laundering asset.

And even with the Helsinki doormat impersonation, 35-40% of the US population has been captured and will fanatically follow their Dear Leader no matter what. That's enough to make any Republican who opposes Trump lose in the Republican primary. As for the general election, once Trump is the Republican presidential candidate and Team Republican closes ranks again, Trump may win in 2020 regardless. And if somehow Trump does lose, Putin can still control the vocal minority and put a more intelligent stooge in place in 2024.

So no Putin isn't worried. He's got a lot more than Trump in his bag of tricks. Helsinki was just fine for him.
Anarchistbear
Great now he's stolen the 2020 election in advance. Well, if all we talk about is Russia he probably does win- at which point we'd have to wonder whether it was the Democratic Party who best enabled Trump.
OneKeg
Anarchistbear said:

Great now he's stolen the 2020 election in advance. Well, if all we talk about is Russia he probably does win- at which point we'd have to wonder whether it was the Democratic Party who best enabled Trump.

Nice gymnastics. No he hasn't stolen the 2020 election in advance. He'll certainly deploy his assets (people, social media, hacking) to put a thumb on the scales. But the main point is that it won't matter to him too much if it doesn't work. He has no problem burning Trump as an asset. He's got other better ones and the point is to sow division and weaken the US as a possible obstacle to his own goals. E.g. US becomes an uncertain, unreliable ally for NATO, making NATO less likely to confidently oppose Russian expansionism.

So in that sense, yes it is a distraction. Trump isn't a Manchurian candidate because that implies more agency and trust from Putin. Trump is a known, utterly corrupt and financially-controlled stooge to be used and discarded when necessary.
dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

If he controls him why did Trump supply arms to the Ukraine, why did he bomb Assad positions in Syria, why did he increase sanctions, why did he stop the Iran deal, why did he call out Merkel for buying Russian gas. All of which were against Putin and an escalation of US policy
Let's take your bogus propaganda barrage one at a time:
1 - Arms in Ukraine - This is your only claim with even a bit of merit. It also benefits the military industrial complex in America.
2 - Bomb Assad - Because after notifying Russia that the bombing was coming it presented a nice bit of media coverage for Trump without actually doing anything to Putin / Assad
3 - Increase sanctions - Because after he said he was against increasing sanctions, Congress passed them with a veto-proof majority and Trump did not want to be humiliated so he did nothing
4 - Iran Deal - Because this raises gas prices around the world which directly benefits Putin
5 - Merkel gas - Because the goal is to divide NATO, the specific cause of the divisions is almost irrelevant
First Page Last Page
Page 38 of 135

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.