Breaking News

798,096 Views | 10561 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by movielover
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Professor Turgeson Bear said:

okaydo said:

This is a great essay on the best movie of 2019.

Seems to be a fairly polarizing film in terms of audience appreciation

Also it'll have to be damn good to beat out what I consider the hands down best film of 2019, which was also polarizing, but didn't benefit from the Scorsese grading scale (though it could have)

And what film is that?
concordtom
This happened last night at Trump's rally designed to mute impeachment:

"Get her out!"
Trump's call to not be "politically correct" harkens back to other incidents at his events.

During a rally in 2016, he promised to pay the legal fees of anyone who attacks a protester.

"If you see somebody getting ready to throw a tomato, knock the crap out of them, would you?" he said. "Seriously, OK?"

During another event, Trump complained that a protester was receiving high-fives as he left.

"I'd like to punch him in the face, I'll tell you that," he said.

And during a winter event in 2016, Trump told security to take the protesters' coats.

"Throw them out into the cold," he said. "Don't give them their coats. No coats! Confiscate their coats."
concordtom
It was once asked, "By the way, which one's Pink?"

Donald is Pink:

"Are there any queers in the theater tonight?
Get them up against The Wall
(Against The Wall)
Now there's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me
Get him up against The Wall
(Against The-)
And that one looks Jewish and that one's a coon!
Who let all of this riff-raff into the room?
There's one smoking a joint and another with spots
If I had my way, I'd have all of ya shot!"

bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo

bearister
La La Land got f'd by Moonlight. Dev Patel got f'd by Mahershala Ali.
okaydo

Yogi14
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

Also it'll have to be damn good to beat out what I consider the hands down best film of 2019, which was also polarizing, but didn't benefit from the Scorsese grading scale (though it could have)

And what film is that?
One of the Golden Globe nominees for Best Picture (wasn't a sure thing it would get the nomination)
Yogi14
okaydo said:

Don't bother. Waste of time.
concordtom

concordtom said:

okaydo said:

And what film is that?
One of the Golden Globe nominees for Best Picture (wasn't a sure thing it would get the nomination)

And the title of said film is?

bearister
Orange POTUS, Statesman Extraordinaire:

*If this was the Middle Ages, there wouldn't be a dungeon deep enough for this guy.
okaydo

bearister
Ronnie Spector: 'I love #MeToo and Time's Up because men's time is up'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/12/ronnie-spector-i-love-metoo-and-times-up-because-mens-time-is-up?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

B.A. Bearacus
Jared officially a Republican now.

okaydo

bearister

Rodrigo Koxa rides 80 footer in Portugal, 2017:

Surfers have been dodging these:

okaydo
Mac and Cheese.

B.A. Bearacus
bearister
Sen. Rand Paul, Kentucky Republican, said Sunday he worried that the Democratic effort to impeach President Trump would "dumb down and destroy the country."

Question: How do dumb down a country that elected a failed businessman and game show host POTUS?
chazzed
No, you don't. You like to bring up old studies or data that have been refuted. Then, when you are called out for it, you don't deal with it. You just move on to some other old study or data. You don't have an open mind and you care for consensus in the science community. Save the misleading information for your oil industry brethren.
bearister
The POTUS' private attorney wears a Mafioso diamond pinkie ring.

Cal88
chazzed said:

No, you don't. You like to bring up old studies or data that have been refuted. Then, when you are called out for it, you don't deal with it. You just move on to some other old study or data. You don't have an open mind and you care for consensus in the science community. Save the misleading information for your oil industry brethren.

First of all, most of us here use linear mode, not threaded, so you come across as someone who is pretty late to the party if you reply to an old post without quoting.

Second, there is no such a thing as "old data", accurate weather measurements such as tidal gauge records have been used for nearly two centuries with the same methodologies and degree of accuracy. It is only through the use of reliable long-range data sets that we can gauge whether the current trends are out of the ordinary, as opposed to unreliable theoretical projections climate models, which are the main tool used by the alarmists to push the CAGW narrative.

Third, your third sentence here makes no sense, it is actually because I have I have an open mind that I've invested enough time to get to the bottom of this issue. I actually used to believe in CAGW.

Fourth, the consensus in the scientific community is exaggerated, it is nowhere near the reported 97%, which was the result of a survey of papers done with an egregiously flawed methodology by John Cook, a cartoonist/activist with zero credentials as a statistician or scientist.

The other source of the 97% consensus was a survey questionnaire which is as equally flawed as Cook's project above.

Furthermore, the scientific consensus has often been wrong. Science isn't about majority votes and the established dogma. New ideas have often faced resistance from the scientific establishment and public opinion, going back to the days of Galileo. More recently, scientists who made groundbreaking discoveries like the bacterial origin of ulcers, or the nature of plate tectonics were ruthlessly attacked and marginalized by their peers.

And more specifically on the scientific consensus about climate, there was a global cooling scientific consensus in the 1970s, with the belief that human activity was causing the earth to cool, and that we were headed to an imminent ice age. That scientific consensus turned out to be bunk, as the significant global cooling that took place between 1950 and 1975 was followed by a period of warming in the 1980s/90s, after which the scientific consensus became one of global warming. That was then followed by a period of relative stability, so the fuzzier term of "Climate Change" replaced the buzzword of "Global Warming" sometimes in the 00s/early 10s.

Last, I've never worked in the oil industry. I actually have worked in the green housing industry. Furthermore, Wall Street and the banking industry are fully behind the global warming industry, they stand to make trillions from the carbon trade markets, with nearly every human activity and industry regulated and monetized, in a scheme that was created by the likes of Enron's Ken Lay. as well there are tens of billions in public and foundation funds available for research that goes along the prevailing global warming narrative, while skeptics like Judith Curry get pushed out of academia and face career suicide by going against the dominant dogma.
bearister
Paul Manafort, 70, is treated in hospital for 'cardiac event'

https://mol.im/a/7802467

Almost every character actor in The Godfather that played a mobster died of a heart attack in real life. My guess is Paulie "Walnuts" Manafort shared their same diet both in and out of prison.

sycasey
Cal88 said:

And more specifically on the scientific consensus about climate, there was a global cooling scientific consensus in the 1970s, with the belief that human activity was causing the earth to cool, and that we were headed to an imminent ice age.

This is false.

https://skepticalscience.com/What-1970s-science-said-about-global-cooling.html
Cal88
Your source is an activist-driven site that uses an incredibly flawed research paper by Peterson, Connolley and Fleck (2008, often referred as PCF08), "The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus", which is irrefutably wrong. That paper is based on an astoundingly narrow survey that only identified 7 papers supporting global cooling, when in fact there are at least 285 such papers and articles published in that period. Those 285 1960s/70s papers and articles supporting global cooling are listed HERE.

When you realize that the PCF08 paper was a peer-reviewed, "scientific" paper, you understand how flawed and biased that process is. The fact that they've doubled down and not corrected their tiny sample of 7 cooling papers despite the irrefutable evidence provided above shows how ideologically corrupt the warmists that monopolize the debate are. The main author of this paper, Connolley, has been exposed as an ideology-driven activist who has complete disregard for the facts, it's as if those 285 papers listed above never existed. From a Telegraph article:

Quote:

A 2009 investigative report from UK's Telegraph detailed the extent of dictatorial-like powers Connolley possessed at Wikipedia, allowing him to remove inconvenient scientific information that didn't conform to his point of view.
Quote:

"All told, Connolley created or rewrote 5,428 unique Wikipedia articles. His control over Wikipedia was greater still, however, through the role he obtained at Wikipedia as a website administrator, which allowed him to act with virtual impunity. When Connolley didn't like the subject of a certain article, he removed it more than 500 articles of various descriptions disappeared at his hand. When he disapproved of the arguments that others were making, he often had them barred over 2,000 Wikipedia contributors who ran afoul of him found themselves blocked from making further contributions. Acolytes whose writing conformed to Connolley's global warming views, in contrast, were rewarded with Wikipedia's blessings. In these ways, Connolley turned Wikipedia into the missionary wing of the global warming movement."
After eviscerating references to 1970s global cooling scare and the warmer-than-now Medieval Warm Period from Wikipedia, and after personally rewriting the Wikipedia commentaries on the greenhouse effect to impute a central, dominant role for CO2, Connolley went on to team up with two other authors to publish a "consensus" manifesto in 2008 that claimed to expose the 1970s global cooling scare as a myth, as something that never really happened.

Summary from WUWT:

"A review of the climate science literature of the 1965-1979 period is presented and it is shown that there was an overwhelming scientific consensus for climate cooling (typically, 65% for the whole period) but greatly outnumbering the warming papers by more than 5-to-1 during the 1968-1976 period, when there were 85% cooling papers compared with 15% warming.

It is evident that the conclusion of the PCF-08 paper, The Myth of the 1970s Global Cooling Scientific Consensus, is incorrect. The current review shows the opposite conclusion to be more accurate. Namely, the 1970s global cooling consensus was not a myth the overwhelming scientific consensus was for climate cooling.

It appears that the PCF-08 authors have committed the transgression of which they accuse others; namely, "selectively misreading the texts" of the climate science literature from 1965 to 1979. The PCF-08 authors appear to have done this by neglecting the large number of peer-reviewed papers that were pro-cooling.

I find it very surprising that PCF-08 only uncovered 7 cooling papers and did not uncover the 86 cooling papers in major scientific journals, such as, Journal of American Meteorological Society, Nature, Science, Quaternary Research and similar scientific papers that they reviewed. For example, PCF-08 only found 1 paper in Quaternary Research, namely the warming paper by Mitchell (1976), however, this review found 19 additional papers in that journal, comprising 15 cooling, 3 neutral and 1 warming.

I can only suggest that the authors of PCF-08 concentrated on finding warming papers instead of conducting the impartial "rigorous literature review" that they profess.

If the current climate science debate were more neutral, the PCF-08 paper would either be withdrawn or subjected to a detailed corrigendum to correct its obvious inaccuracies."
bearister
The pope tried to convince skeptical US Catholics that climate change is real. Here's why he failed. - Vox

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/10/28/13433050/pope-climate-change-polarization
AunBear89
bearister said:

The pope tried to convince skeptical US Catholics that climate change is real. Here's why he failed. - Vox

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2016/10/28/13433050/pope-climate-change-polarization

TLDR: Most American Christians are raging hypocrites.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Cal88
Perhaps people, Catholics included, have enough common sense to distinguish quasi-religious pseudo-science from reality.

This pope and his Vatican II brand of liberation theology activism is completely detached from reality on this and other issues, like his advocacy of unbridled immigration into Europe, which has had huge problems absorbing 50 million immigrants, with leading Catholic nations France, Italy and Spain alone closing in on 20 million unemployed, and already breaking under the strain of mass immigration from Africa.
bearister
Climate change denial is part of a bundled belief system. Only radicals believe in it, not real Americans.
Cal88

okaydo
Anybody see Force Majure?

It was remade as a Will Ferrell movie.

The dude from game of Thrones is in both movies.

Joker
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

And what film is that?
Just saw Jojo Rabbit today. Highly recommended. I think it should have gotten a Golden Globe nomination for best screenplay, but I haven't seen any of those that were nominated for screenplay yet.
concordtom
okaydo said:

Wow.
Who was filming???
okaydo
concordtom said:

okaydo said:

Wow.
Who was filming???

He's filming with an Insta360 One X from Instagram.

It's a camera with 2 wide angle lenses. Each lens films in 180 degrees, for a 360 degree effect. When you're done filming, you can select different perspectives from the 360 degrees. Like, for instance, you see the focus of the camera at the end of the video going from him to the woman.

He's using a selfie stick that is automatically deleted from the finished footage.

Here's an ad for it.

Here's a middle aged guy using the Insta 360 X in Oakland and Berkeley a few months ago while on his boosted board.

I haven't been in Berkeley in 3 1/2 years so I was stunned to see how much has changed.

Here's a better explanation for how it works.

B.A. Bearacus

"As he spoke, he fixed his gaze straight ahead, rarely turning to make eye contact. When his mouth closed, saliva leaked from the corner and crawled down his face through the valley of a wrinkle. He didn't notice, and it fell onto his sweater."
First Page Last Page
Page 31 of 302

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.