Breaking News

746,981 Views | 10246 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by bear2034
Another Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was just listening to this last night. One of my favorite songs.
bearister
Fantastic cover. More soul than Bowie gave it.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
AunBear89
$1 Strawberry Margarita with a Twizzler!?!?!

Isn't that an early sign of the apocalypse?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
okaydo
It's always funny to me that:

Pat Smear was in The Germs, then lead singer Darby Crash committed suicide.

Then he was in Nirvana, then lead singer Kurt Cobain committed suicide.

Then he was in the Foo Fighters, and so far Dave Grohl hasn't succumbed to suicide.

Random trivia that I only care about:

Darby Crash died at 137 North Fuller Avenue in Los Angeles.

Kurt Cobain and Courteny Love lived at 448 North Spaulding Avenue in Los Angeles at the height of his Nirvana fame (the apartment is featured heavily in that HBO documentary a few years back):

The home where Darby Crash died at is less than a mile from the apartment where Kurt Cobain lived.

Another Bear
okaydo said:

Then he was in the Foo Fighters, and so far Dave Grohl hasn't succumbed to suicide.

Kurt Cobain and Courteny Love lived at 448 North Spaulding Avenue in Los Angeles at the height of his Nirvana fame (the apartment is featured heavily in that HBO documentary a few years back):

The home where Darby Crash died at is less than a mile from the apartment where Kurt Cobain lived.

Wow, great video. Thanks. I didn't know those guys were big Bowie fans. Very cool. I like the true 90s vibe, driving a white Ford Bronco in L.A. Nice touch. I liked Man Who Sold the World because of the concept...talking to your double, very existentialist, but Cobain's big guitar riff is exceptional.

I liked Bowie as a kid because of Space Oddity. Great stuff to listen at night...just totally out there...then I found out what he looked like. It was sometimes difficult to say you were a Bowie fan because of the gender bender stuff was odd for teen boys but his stuff was great. Got back into Bowies in the 80s at Cal when someone played Heroes on KALX and he had another resurgence. Many meanings now but I took it then to have the bravery to start an affair or hook up.
bearister
I wonder if it has any relevance that Pat Smear inherited substantial sums of money under life insurance policies in both cases.
bearister
Since this has been hijacked into a music thread, I have a question: Do you consider this the equivalent of a home run?

okaydo
Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Wow, great video. Thanks. I didn't know those guys were big Bowie fans. Very cool. I like the true 90s vibe, driving a white Ford Bronco in L.A. Nice touch. I liked Man Who Sold the World because of the concept...talking to your double, very existentialist, but Cobain's big guitar riff is exceptional.

I liked Bowie as a kid because of Space Oddity. Great stuff to listen at night...just totally out there...then I found out what he looked like. It was sometimes difficult to say you were a Bowie fan because of the gender bender stuff was odd for teen boys but his stuff was great. Got back into Bowies in the 80s at Cal when someone played Heroes on KALX and he had another resurgence. Many meanings now but I took it then to have the bravery to start an affair or hook up.

I was a teenager when my friend and fellow Germs fan (whose dad worked in the music industry) called me up and said, "yo, I just found out that Pat Smear is joining Nirvana, and he is currently working at SST Records on the Sunset Strip. Tonight's his final night." So I immediately hopped on a bus to SST Records. It was near closing time. It was a tiny punk rock record store, and there was Pat Smear manning the cash register by himself in the store. I talked to him for like 15 minutes.

About 3 weeks later, the guy behind the register was performing on SNL.

From that David Bowie video posted above, I found out that Kurt Cobain, also a Germs fan, had walked into the same record store sometime earlier (months? weeks? days?) saw Pat, and asked him to join Nirvana.

Just imagine how much Pat Smear's life has changed just from working at that record store.

Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

I was a teenager when my friend and fellow Germs fan (whose dad worked in the music industry) called me up and said, "yo, I just found out that Pat Smear is joining Nirvana, and he is currently working at SST Records on the Sunset Strip. Tonight's his final night." So I immediately hopped on a bus to SST Records. It was near closing time. It was a tiny punk rock record store, and there was Pat Smear manning the cash register by himself in the store. I talked to him for like 15 minutes.

From that David Bowie video posted above, I found out that Kurt Cobain, also a Germs fan, had walked into the same record store sometime earlier (months? weeks? days?) saw Pat, and asked him to join Nirvana.

Just imagine how much Pat Smear's life has changed just from working at that record store.

That's a whacky cool story. Pat Smear seems like he's been around forever but he started young. Being in the middle of it, did you go to any clubs in LA back then? I know they had under 21 clubs and I always heard of HS kids going but I never did, too far, limited exposure.
okaydo
concordtom

Wow.
Trump is at it again.
He has stopped a critical project from going through.

The Trump administration's decision to withhold funding for a critical East Coast infrastructure project could cause economic trouble for the entire country.
The Gateway Program is a transportation project intended to fix the crumbling infrastructure carrying roughly 200,000 daily of commuters between New Jersey and New York through the Hudson River Tunnel. The project's inception in 2011 arose as a means to replace the "Access to the Region's Core" tunnel project that was canceled by then-N.J. Governor Chris Christie.
The Obama administration agreed it would cover half of the costs of the $30-billion project, with the remaining half would be split between the New York and New Jersey state governments. But the deal fell apart after Trump was elected, and according to the New York Times, the president denied there ever was an agreement.

okaydo
Another Bear
Gov. Matt Bevin (R-KY) showed why he is one of the least popular governors in the country by getting booed while he compared himself to Jesus Christ in Eastern Kentucky.

okaydo

bearister
okaydo said:

Brings to mind the following, which you youngsters will think is a joke, but you can't make this stuff up:

https://flashbak.com/*****-pants-eldridge-cleaver-liberated-your-weiner-11522/
bearister

Sex could help cure hayfever, scientists claim

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/sex-could-help-cure-hayfever-scientists-claim-a4119881.html

I have placed copies of the article all around the house at strategic locations and I have been doing this all day:

...but so far all I am being offered is a Kleenex.
okaydo
Wow!

okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
bearister
okaydo
dajo9
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

In the SNL Nirvana video it's strange seeing a 4th member of the band. In fact, he isn't even in the lighting. I recommend watching the video while pretending Pat Smears isn't really there but just a figment of your imagination as an average Nirvana fan playing air guitar with a real guitar and thrashing about like an excited fan. It's very enjoyable.
American Vermin
okaydo
Another Bear

...but wait...there's more.

In most of California, the cops would just start laughing at that and might pull that guy over just to talk to him, see if i works!
okaydo
Another Bear said:

In most of California, the cops would just start laughing at that and might pull that guy over just to talk to him, see if i works!

Anyways, it's good to see Alex Mack doing well these days.
Another Bear
okaydo said:

Another Bear said:

Anyways, it's good to see Alex Mack doing well these days.

Okaydo...your game is slipping...
B.A. Bearacus
okaydo
bearister
okaydo

B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
Gene Simmons...another bone-spur chickenhawk draft dodger sucking up to vets and military.
Another Bear

bearister
Here's the top of the 65th FORTUNE 500 list the largest U.S. corporations, ranked by 2018 revenue:

Walmart
ExxonMobil
Apple
Berkshire Hathaway
Amazon
UnitedHealth Group
McKesson
CVS Health
AT&T
AmerisourceBergen (drug wholesaler)
Another Bear

First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 293

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.