Breaking News

995,368 Views | 11799 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by Cal88
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
82gradDLSdad said:

bearister said:

"We no longer believe we can grow together". Oh brother.

Since they are the ultimate power couple they need to coin their own phrase like Gwynnie's "Conscious Uncoupling." Maybe throw a bizarre scented candle into the mix and some stone eggs.

Billy Boy now needs to descend into a Harvey Keitel Bad Lieutenant odyssey and then write a book about his depravity when he emerges on the other side after spending $3 billion to fuel his Guinness Book of World Records tour of the bad boy depths.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
How Bill Gates dated venture capitalist Ann Winblad in the 80s

https://mol.im/a/9541957

concordtom
bearister said:

agreed.
good call.
bearister
Trump's spell over the media broke once he lost his megaphones - Axios

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-social-media-attention-d6829513-644d-4235-9090-20284862e009.html

concordtom
bearister said:

Trump's spell over the media broke once he lost his megaphones - Axios

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-social-media-attention-d6829513-644d-4235-9090-20284862e009.html

Well, if he has lost his spell over the media, it doesn't appear that he's lost his spell over the GOP.

So, what DIRT does Trump have on McCarthy and others???

Kevin McCarthy: One Big Piece of Ship!

bearister
Fresh in from the Why Didn't I Ever Think of That Deptartment:

" Bizarre new trend to eat raw, ROTTEN meat to get high can cause 'explosive incontinence'

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/2827943/trend-eat-raw-rotten-meat-get-high-explosive-incontinence/
Eastern Oregon Bear
bearister said:

Fresh in from the Why Didn't I Ever Think of That Deptartment:

" Bizarre new trend to eat raw, ROTTEN meat to get high can cause 'explosive incontinence'

https://www.the-sun.com/lifestyle/2827943/trend-eat-raw-rotten-meat-get-high-explosive-incontinence/
Just from reading that, I had to suppress an instinctive need to projectile vomit.
bearister
I ate a bad New York steak once at the Via Veneto in the 1980's (next to McNally's on College). I got so sick I would have been better off if someone had shot me like a rabid dog.

okaydo

bearister
Guess which one of these Bay Area White punks on dope shived an Italian policeman 11 times with a 7 inch combat knife he brought to Italy on vacation in his suitcase:

Verdicts to be announced soon.

okaydo
bearister
Well, don't do the crime if you can't do the time:

Italian police officer killed: Bay Area college students guilty in killing of Mario Cerciello Rega; both sentenced to life in prison | abc7news.com

https://abc7news.com/italian-police-officer-killed-rome-stabbing-verdict-mario-cerciello-rega-trial-bay-area-students-italy/10585371/

Finnegan Lee Elder, the one that used the combat knife on the cop, made an appointment with this fate years ago:

San Francisco Teen Accused Of Killing Italian Police Officer Was Charged In Classmate Assault CBS San Francisco

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/07/31/finnegan-lee-elder-italy-police-killing-sacred-heart-cathedral-prep-assault-charge/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/07/31/finnegan-lee-elder-italy-police-killing-sacred-heart-cathedral-prep-assault-charge/amp/
BearForce2
bearister said:

82gradDLSdad
BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Funny
sycasey
82gradDLSdad said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Funny

This might actually be the first funny Babylon Bee headline. A milestone!
AunBear89
sycasey said:

82gradDLSdad said:

BearForce2 said:

bearister said:

Funny

Blind squirrel... nut... forest...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
B.A. Bearacus
sycasey said:

I think your excitement would be quickly deflated by the content of the actual story, which sounds like it was written by someone in fifth third grade and is consistent with their this site's pattern of not having any idea what is funny.

Quote:

MEDINA, WA -- According to anonymous sources, Melinda Gates filed for divorce from her husband Bill after discovering a shocking video of him dancing on stage to "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones during the Windows 95 launch.

"Oh my gosh- my husband is a total dork," said a shocked Melinda Gates, according to one witness. "How could he have hidden this from me for so long? How could I have been so blind? Why did Bill hide this dark secret from me?"

Friends of the family say she quickly filed for divorce citing "irreconcilable differences", likely due to Bill's dark and dorky past.

"He always told me he was a cool guy and a really great dancer, and I believed him. I've been living a lie."

Sources also say that since the couple had no prenuptial agreement, Melinda will get Bill's entire fortune, leaving him only with Zune.
bearister
sycasey
B.A. Bearacus said:

sycasey said:

I think your excitement would be quickly deflated by the content of the actual story, which sounds like it was written by someone in fifth third grade and is consistent with their this site's pattern of not having any idea what is funny.

Quote:

MEDINA, WA -- According to anonymous sources, Melinda Gates filed for divorce from her husband Bill after discovering a shocking video of him dancing on stage to "Start Me Up" by The Rolling Stones during the Windows 95 launch.

"Oh my gosh- my husband is a total dork," said a shocked Melinda Gates, according to one witness. "How could he have hidden this from me for so long? How could I have been so blind? Why did Bill hide this dark secret from me?"

Friends of the family say she quickly filed for divorce citing "irreconcilable differences", likely due to Bill's dark and dorky past.

"He always told me he was a cool guy and a really great dancer, and I believed him. I've been living a lie."

Sources also say that since the couple had no prenuptial agreement, Melinda will get Bill's entire fortune, leaving him only with Zune.

This is why I commented on the headline only.
calpoly
bearister said:

This game reminds me of the Philadelphia Flyers in the 70's (the Broad Street Bullies) with Dave "The Hammer" Schultz!
Big C
bearister said:

While I actually enjoy sports in which the OBJECTIVE is fighting, they way they just let the hockey players continue to fight like that just drains the sport of credibility, for me. Can you imagine this happening in other sports? With the refs just standing there while guys duke it out, it makes it look like professional wrestling. It's a joke.

I've had hockey fans try and explain it to me, but I don't get it.
calpoly
Big C said:

bearister said:

While I actually enjoy sports in which the OBJECTIVE is fighting, they way they just let the hockey players continue to fight like that just drains the sport of credibility, for me. Can you imagine this happening in other sports? With the refs just standing there while guys duke it out, it makes it look like professional wrestling. It's a joke.

The ref's don't want to get hit by an errant punch. They let the fight continue until the players tire out before they jump in and separate the players.
bearister
List of NHL enforcers who have passed away gets longer | The Star

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/09/22/list-of-nhl-enforcers-who-have-passes-away-gets-longer.html
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/hockey/2015/09/22/list-of-nhl-enforcers-who-have-passes-away-gets-longer.html

Slap Shot:

Goon:

bearister
South Carolina may become the fourth state to allow executions by firing squad - CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/06/us/south-carolina-firing-squad-death-penalty/index.html

Big C
calpoly said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

The ref's don't want to get hit by an errant punch. They let the fight continue until the players tire out before they jump in and separate the players.

I don't think that's the reason. If the penalty were one year suspension for hitting a ref, even with an errant punch, they wouldn't get hit. What kind of fine/penalty will that Wilson guy get? I guarantee you it would be much greater in any other sport (especially seeing the graphic that fighting is business-as-usual for him, i.e. multiple offender).

I admittedly don't "get" hockey, but I'm thinking that the brawls are considered part of the show in the NHL. College hockey is big back East and I'm assuming they don't fight like that.

I see them do that and it just makes me think that the whole thing is a joke (even though I know it's not and is a highly skilled sport). Again, I enjoy boxing, (real) wrestling, martial arts and sometimes MMA, where I know that that's the objective.
bearister
Derek Boogaard: A Brain 'Going Bad' - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-brain-going-bad.html

He was 6'7 265 lbs. He said he actually didn't like fighting or being an enforcer.
B.A. Bearacus
calpoly
Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

I don't think that's the reason. If the penalty were one year suspension for hitting a ref, even with an errant punch, they wouldn't get hit. What kind of fine/penalty will that Wilson guy get? I guarantee you it would be much greater in any other sport (especially seeing the graphic that fighting is business-as-usual for him, i.e. multiple offender).

I admittedly don't "get" hockey, but I'm thinking that the brawls are considered part of the show in the NHL. College hockey is big back East and I'm assuming they don't fight like that.

I see them do that and it just makes me think that the whole thing is a joke (even though I know it's not and is a highly skilled sport). Again, I enjoy boxing, (real) wrestling, martial arts and sometimes MMA, where I know that that's the objective.
Having played and referred hockey for many years, including college hockey, I can attest that you really do not want to get in the middle of a fight. The ref watches the fight to assign the penalties and the two linesman will break up the fight when it is safe to do so. If more than one fight is going on how are you going to break it up with only two people? Fighting usually does not last long (it is really tiring) so let the players get it out of their system.

Fighting in hockey is less common than it used to be in the NHL. Quite often it is retaliatory from a cheap shot on a star player or goalie.

It is a highly skilled game and watching it on TV does not do it any justice. It is MUCH better live, especially college hockey. One of my favorite rivalries is Cornell vs. Harvard. They hate each other and the games are really exciting when you can attend in person. Cal vs. $tanfurd was also fun to watch at Berkeley Iceland (sorry it is no longer exists).
Big C
calpoly said:

Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

Having played and referred hockey for many years, including college hockey, I can attest that you really do not want to get in the middle of a fight. The ref watches the fight to assign the penalties and the two linesman will break up the fight when it is safe to do so. If more than one fight is going on how are you going to break it up with only two people? Fighting usually does not last long (it is really tiring) so let the players get it out of their system.

Fighting in hockey is less common than it used to be in the NHL. Quite often it is retaliatory from a cheap shot on a star player or goalie.

It is a highly skilled game and watching it on TV does not do it any justice. It is MUCH better live, especially college hockey. One of my favorite rivalries is Cornell vs. Harvard. They hate each other and the games are really exciting when you can attend in person. Cal vs. $tanfurd was also fun to watch at Berkeley Iceland (sorry it is no longer exists).

Why is it that, in other sports, opponents are not allowed to duke it out for awhile because (allegedly) it wouldn't be safe for the refs to break it up?

And, asking out of ignorance, to what extent is fighting allowed in college hockey? Youth hockey?
concordtom
News of Keeping Up With the Kardashians ending after 20 seasons was reported back in September of last year, but during Thursday night's episode, viewers got a closer look at how that decision was made. For starters, Kris, Kim, Kourtney and Khlo voted in secret.

"This is a big day for me and my family, because we're gonna discuss whether or not we want to move forward with filming Keeping Up with the Kardashians, and we're filming it on our iPhones, because we don't want the crew to film it and have them hear the conversation. But at the same time, we wanted to document it, because it's an important day," explained Kris.

The family matriarch also shared that, in the past, it was always an easy decision to make as every member unanimously said yes. However, this time, everybody was a little conflicted.

"We love sharing our lives. We love that whole aspect of it. Just so many factors have come into our lives since we're now so busy, and we have to just think about what we want out of life and what we want together and what we've built, and do we walk away from that," asked Kim.

While Kourtney was the first to say it was time to end the show, ultimately, Kris and Kim followed suit. Khlo, on the other hand, was the one family member who was not totally on board. "I think it's, like, everyone wishes that it could be less. Do I think we all need a break sometimes? Yeah, but I don't know if it necessarily means, like, to stop," said Khlo, who later stated in her confessional, "Going into this meeting, I really assumed it would be just a conversation that we're all gonna have. But now that I'm in the meeting, it's definitely clear that everyone's decisions have been made, and that mine would probably be the only one that is against the rest of the family." Khlo also shared that having to tell everyone that the show would be coming to an end was "really devastating." And devastating it was, as they all broke into tears during their announcement.

Out of respect, the ladies broke the news to the production crew before anyone else, because they didn't want them to read it on the Internet.

Kris started by saying, "There's no easy way to say this, except just to say it, because we love you guys all so much and it's almost like ripping off a band-aid, but we just wanted to tell you in person that we won't be going forward with filming the show anymore. It's been a really excruciating decision to make. This journey's been the most incredible thing that we've ever done. And we can't even express the appreciation that we have for you along the way." Khlo expressed appreciation for the crew, who has become her "second family."

"The crew has been with me through so many crazy, happy, sad, amazing situations. Like, I'm so close with the crew," explained Khlo. "I mean, I have such a security blanket in these people. And, you know, to not have that anymore, it's a big thing. I mean, it sounds silly, but they're my people." While the whole moment was very emotional, there was one silver lining fans got one good final Kim ugly crying face, when Kim thanked the crew by saying, "I just want you guys to know, like, how much we really appreciate you guys, each and every one of you, for spending time away from your families to be with our crazy family."
concordtom
B.A. Bearacus said:

I think it very much depends on the color of the guy he was talking to. We don't know that.
I haven't said it in a long time, but we used to always greet each other with "what's up, buckwheat?"
It was a friendly term, like one of the gang. I never considered racial implications.
Interesting, I never thought about it before.
concordtom
okaydo said:

When this doesn't work out I recommend he drive due west for Los Angeles for the Colombo reboot tryouts.
calpoly
Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

Why is it that, in other sports, opponents are not allowed to duke it out for awhile because (allegedly) it wouldn't be safe for the refs to break it up?

And, asking out of ignorance, to what extent is fighting allowed in college hockey? Youth hockey?
I don't know the extent of fighting in youth hockey these days but when I was playing it did not occur very often. In college hockey fights do happen but not that often. Major junior hockey in Canada (and the Northern part of the US), which still produces many NHL players, is where fighting occurs.

Hockey is quite different than football, basketball in that contact is more prevalent which leads to heated situations that can lead to fights. Fighting is not ALLOWED (contrary to what you believe) but it does happen. If fighting was allowed then why do they penalize it? The NHL rules could be changed to completely eliminate fighting but the NHL has not taken that step. Having the refs jump into a fight is NOT going to stop fighting. I am not asking you to agree with the rules, just trying to point them out to you. If you don't like the sport, don't watch it...its your choice (I find golf boring with no purpose so I don't watch it).
bearister
Norwegian Cruise Line threatens to skip Florida's ports over ban on COVID vaccine proof | abc7news.com

https://abc7news.com/norwegian-cruise-line-cruises-threatens-to-skip-florida-covid-vaccine-proof-vaccination/10594445/
https://abc7news.com/amp/norwegian-cruise-line-cruises-threatens-to-skip-florida-covid-vaccine-proof-vaccination/10594445/?__twitter_impression=true
Big C
calpoly said:

Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

calpoly said:

Big C said:

bearister said:

I don't know the extent of fighting in youth hockey these days but when I was playing it did not occur very often. In college hockey fights do happen but not that often. Major junior hockey in Canada (and the Northern part of the US), which still produces many NHL players, is where fighting occurs.

Hockey is quite different than football, basketball in that contact is more prevalent which leads to heated situations that can lead to fights. Fighting is not ALLOWED (contrary to what you believe) but it does happen. If fighting was allowed then why do they penalize it? The NHL rules could be changed to completely eliminate fighting but the NHL has not taken that step. Having the refs jump into a fight is NOT going to stop fighting. I am not asking you to agree with the rules, just trying to point them out to you. If you don't like the sport, don't watch it...its your choice (I find golf boring with no purpose so I don't watch it).

Maybe if they let fights "happen" in golf we would both watch it more!
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 338

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.