Breaking News

799,990 Views | 10567 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by movielover
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

OK, Cal88, bottom line it for us.

Give us your elevator speech.

Do you believe that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was a justified and righteous incursion?

Yes or no?

No deflection or whataboutism.

Here it is in a nutshell.

It's a civil war that has been fuelled by a nationalist ideology that is incompatible with the ethno-linguistically diverse nature of Ukraine.

The Minsk Agreements largely addressed this problem, providing some cultural autonomy for the Donbas.

Ukraine violated this agreement, largely because of the influence of ultranationalists within the Zelensky govt that forced a hardline policy and created the Donbas rebellion. This was a civil war with a strong element of ethnic cleansing.

This, along the fact that Ukraine was arming (potentially with nuclear weapons, having both the fuel and know how), precipitated the Russian invasion.

I can't call it "righteous" because it is going to result in tens, hundreds of thousands of dead, majority of them conscript hacks, but it was inevitable at that point.

The real tragedy is that it could have been easily averted with the proper handling by NATO. Instead its various governments pushed for this war, using Ukraine as a pawn to weaken Russia. Pure geoplolitics play.
So, you didn't really answer.

To argue it is a civil war indicates your premise that Ukraine was not an independent and sovereign nation. I mean, big parts of US were once part of Mexico as well.

So, was Russia justified in invading Ukraine?

Ukraine underwent a color revolution and a coup in 2014, after which, a large part of the country was no longer represented by that government. The country was in a state of civil war, that much is undeniable.

Look at the videos I've posted above about the events in 2014.

There is a large gap between the situation as it is presented in the media and the real situation. That's the gap I am trying to narrow here.

Russia invaded Ukraine because:
-their people were getting slaughtered
-Ukraine has a nationalist government whose identity is defined by its hostility to its Russian minority and Russia in general, with a strong element of identification with the Bandera WW2-era nationalism.
-They were arming to the gills, with the intent and capacity to produce or acquire nuclear weapons.

All of these elements were largely ignored by the media.
Cal88
DiabloWags said:

Cal88 said:

The real tragedy is that it could have been easily averted with the proper handling by NATO. Instead its various governments pushed for this war, using Ukraine as a pawn to weaken Russia. Pure geoplolitics play.
So you are essentially blaming the United States since NATO is the U.S.

Yes, we all wanted our fuel prices to go through the roof and commodity prices to create the highest inflation in 40 years.
It's a great way to create a Recession, which is what we all wanted.

Brilliant!

The US and NATO expected Russia's economy and currency to crater, it didn't turn out this way, because Russia is an autarkic country and economy, with virtually no debt and many outlets for its substantial resources to non-aligned markets like India.

The US inflation is not primarily caused by the Ukrainian crisis, it is largely the result of QE on a massive, unprecedented scale during covid. The US is almost self-sufficient in energy and food, so we're not as exposed to the Ukrainian war.

Europe on the other hand is going to be devastated. The impact from the ongoing energy crisis is going to be massive, it was somehow ignored by policy planners. There's going to be a massive amount of social turmoil across the continent.
Cal88
Got to go back to work - have you seen the sticker price on those new 911s?

Nose to the grindstone, will be back this WE.
Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

Got to go back to work - have you seen the sticker price on those new 911s?

Nose to the grindstone, will be back this WE.
You said virtually the same thing after getting called out for posting obviously false misinformation about vaccines last week.

Some things never change.

Quote:

(btw are you guys retired, on vacation? gotta get some work done here this afternoon, will prolly be back this WE)

blungld
Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Do you believe that Russia's invasion of Ukraine was a justified and righteous incursion?

Yes or no?

It's a civil war that has been fuelled by a nationalist ideology that is incompatible with the ethno-linguistically diverse nature of Ukraine.

The Minsk Agreements largely addressed this problem, providing some cultural autonomy for the Donbas.

Ukraine violated this agreement, largely because of the influence of ultranationalists within the Zelensky govt that forced a hardline policy and created the Donbas rebellion. This was a civil war with a strong element of ethnic cleansing.

This, along the fact that Ukraine was arming (potentially with nuclear weapons, having both the fuel and know how), precipitated the Russian invasion.

I can't call it "righteous" because it is going to result in tens, hundreds of thousands of dead, majority of them conscript hacks, but it was inevitable at that point.

Those nasty Ukranians committing crimes against humanity when properly and lawfully invaded by Russia. Thanks for posting out the real story of the region.

But now that you have served Putin well, can you just stop?
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Ukraine underwent a color revolution and a coup in 2014, after which, a large part of the country was no longer represented by that government. The country was in a state of civil war, that much is undeniable.
What Cal88 won't tell you about this "civil war" is that the separatist groups were being backed and possibly even led by Russia.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/19/europe/donbas-ukraine-russia-intl-cmd/index.html

Quote:

The separatists in Donbas have had substantial backing from Moscow. Russia has long maintained that it has no soldiers on the ground there, but US, NATO and Ukrainian officials say the Russian government supplies the separatists, provides them with advisory support and intelligence, and embeds its own officers in their ranks.

Moscow has also distributed hundreds of thousands of Russian passports to people in Donbas in recent years. Western officials and observers have accused Russian President Vladimir Putin of attempting to establish facts on the ground by naturalizing Ukrainians as Russian citizens, a de facto way of recognizing the breakaway states. It also gives him a reason to intervene in Ukraine.

Putin was busy stoking a civil war as a pretext for invasion.
DiabloWags
Cal88 said:

The US and NATO expected Russia's economy and currency to crater, it didn't turn out this way, because Russia is an autarkic country and economy, with virtually no debt and many outlets for its substantial resources to non-aligned markets like India.

The US inflation is not primarily caused by the Ukrainian crisis, it is largely the result of QE on a massive, unprecedented scale during covid. The US is almost self-sufficient in energy and food, so we're not as exposed to the Ukrainian war.

Europe on the other hand is going to be devastated. The impact from the ongoing energy crisis is going to be massive, it was somehow ignored by policy planners. There's going to be a massive amount of social turmoil across the continent.

The US may be fairly self-sufficient when it comes to energy and food, but you must have missed out on how oil is a GLOBAL COMMODITY that is PRICED at the margin. One would have to be living in some kind of a fantasy land to believe that oil prices are not globally priced and dont impact the U.S. consumer.

It would also be terribly ignorant/naive to think that POLICY PLANNERS for the US and NATO would "initiate" a war without taking into consideration the impact of those energy prices and supplies. Literally absurd to think otherwise.

And I hate to break this to you and your "Russia has virtually no debt" narrative, but Russian corporations have racked up $100 Billion in foreign currency debt and they've become terribly isolated from global financial markets. Think they'll have an easy time financing themselves for the future?

Think again my friend.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
concordtom
Bill Barr roasts Trump in this new interview.
Burn down the whole Republican Party if I can't be the guy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/barr-trump-using-extortion-to-control-gop-232101391.html
okaydo

DiabloWags
Dow Jones collapses 1,000 points.

S&P 500 down 141

Nasdaq down 497

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

They want her to say something so the story will stay in the news. Then they want the criticism of what she said in the news. Then they want her clarification in the news. Then there will be a demand for an apology in the news. Then the apology will be in the news. Then the criticism of the apology will be in the news. The goal is for this to be in the news through the midterms.

The Pelosi's don't have to say anything.

Agreed 1000%
And that's why I totally disagreed with "82gradDLSdad" from the start on this.
It's to facilitate nothing more than a continued Faux News charade.

In a perfect world, DLS is right. Drinking and driving should be condemned and shunned at every opportunity. And Nancy has a bullhorn so take such opportunity.

But in the real world, cynically, she can't, because her opponents turn the growth opportunity into a political escapade exactly as you've said - there are bigger fish for her to fry, by far (like saving the free world from Hitler 2.0), so, yeah, let the story die!

I think you are right about the practicalities of this. Since Pelosi is at the end of her career I wish she'd throw practicalities to the curb and say the right thing. We are not perfect and we make mistakes.
oski003
These are not the only repercussions Paul is dealing with following the DUI arrest. According to the New York Post, he has been outed from a charity group he was a part of. The California Highway Patrol 11-99 Foundation's (CHP 11-99), which helps aid CHP officers and their families, retracted Paul's lifetime membership after he flashed his card during the DUI arrest in hopes that it would help him avoid punishment.

The group issued a statement that read, "After evaluating the events that led to Mr. Pelosi's arrest and conviction, we are revoking Mr. Pelosi's lifetime membership with the CHP 11-99 Foundation effective immediately." They continued, "The mere presentation of his 11-99 Foundation identification credentials to law enforcement made it appear that he was presenting them for preferential treatment."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nancy-pelosis-husband-faces-repercussions-for-something-he-did-during-dui-arrest/ar-AA1194z5?li=BBnb7Kz
calbear93
oski003 said:

These are not the only repercussions Paul is dealing with following the DUI arrest. According to the New York Post, he has been outed from a charity group he was a part of. The California Highway Patrol 11-99 Foundation's (CHP 11-99), which helps aid CHP officers and their families, retracted Paul's lifetime membership after he flashed his card during the DUI arrest in hopes that it would help him avoid punishment.

The group issued a statement that read, "After evaluating the events that led to Mr. Pelosi's arrest and conviction, we are revoking Mr. Pelosi's lifetime membership with the CHP 11-99 Foundation effective immediately." They continued, "The mere presentation of his 11-99 Foundation identification credentials to law enforcement made it appear that he was presenting them for preferential treatment."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/nancy-pelosis-husband-faces-repercussions-for-something-he-did-during-dui-arrest/ar-AA1194z5?li=BBnb7Kz

Oski, to be fair, CHP kind of solicit donation with the implicit understanding that CHP would recognize. They give out license plate frames and hand out membership cards. Many of my friends have these and have been given just warnings when pulled over for speeding on the highway or freeway. Never for a DUI. They would get an earful from me if they ever drive drunk. I would happily call them an UBER if they are too drunk to do it themselves and drive them back next day to pick up their car. DUI is showing horrible indifference to other lives.
Cal88
The guy is worth 9 figures, can get a limo ride home without any second thoughts, yet he still allows himself to get in a sports car for a long night drive while he's so hammered he can't even take a step forward. I don't think he feels the law applies to him, his clan owns the state, and the laws are only for the little people.

He's a habitual alcoholic who probably got out of these traffic situations several times before unscathed, he just happened to land on a CHP officer who was serious about doing his job and treating every citizen the same.
Cal88
blungld said:

Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Yes or no?

Those nasty Ukranians committing crimes against humanity when properly and lawfully invaded by Russia. Thanks for posting out the real story of the region.

I'm sure your '93 senior year Eurail pass Summer romp in Europe provided you with a very solid understanding of European history and "the real story of the region".

Here's a question for you - can you name one country in Europe where people aren't legally allowed to work, study or hear news in their native language?
bearister
I had my 8 week Europe backpack romp in 1976. Total cost: $1500. A large percentage of that was spent on booze. There was a heat wave in Europe that summer. I returned exhausted and 20 pounds lighter. Started Hastings a week after my return. What an enormous timing f up that was.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

blungld said:

Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Yes or no?

I'm sure your '93 senior year Eurail pass Summer romp in Europe provided you with a very solid understanding of European history and "the real story of the region".

Here's a question for you - can you name one country in Europe where people aren't legally allowed to work, study or hear news in their native language?

Can you do it without citing Kremlin propaganda? I didn't think so.

Quote:

During a press conference on June 6, Lavrov said Ukraine adopted "laws banning the Russian language," claiming the Russian language was prohibited in "education, the media, everyday contacts, etc." Lavrov mentioned that if English had been banned in Ireland or French in Belgium, Europe would have responded differently.

But Lavrov is mischaracterizing a Ukrainian language law. It does not ban Russian from the country.

In January 2022, a new provision of the law was introduced, under which print media outlets registered in Ukraine were required to publish in Ukrainian. This did not ban publications in other languages. Instead, the law required that all content also be published in Ukrainian.

Ukraine's language law, which has been implemented in phases, establishes Ukrainian as the country's sole state language. The law requires Ukrainian to be primarily used in business, school and media settings. However, it does not ban the use of Russian or other languages.
Shocked that you would dissemble Putin's propaganda without examination. Quelle surprise.

concordtom
Lol
Parlez vous Frances???
Big C
concordtom said:

Lol
Parlez vous Frances???

Frances est americaine. Donc, elle ne parle pas francais. Moi non plus.
concordtom
Big C said:

concordtom said:

Lol
Parlez vous Frances???

Frances est americaine. Donc, elle ne parle pas francais. Moi non plus.

Ah, je comprende, et vous ette <<right>>.
Merci beaucoup.

Je parle l'espagnol, et dans l'espagne, Frances ette Frances!!
concordtom
bearister said:

I had my 8 week Europe backpack romp in 1976. Total cost: $1500. A large percentage of that was spent on booze. There was a heat wave in Europe that summer. I returned exhausted and 20 pounds lighter. Started Hastings a week after my return. What an enormous timing f up that was.

3 months, $3000, 1990, 4 guys, 17 countries. Best summer ever!
concordtom
oski003 said:

Yeah, but why are they even passing those things out? Not to mention the cops association bumper stickers.

Watch. Now that the gig is up, donations will plummet!
concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

They want her to say something so the story will stay in the news. Then they want the criticism of what she said in the news. Then they want her clarification in the news. Then there will be a demand for an apology in the news. Then the apology will be in the news. Then the criticism of the apology will be in the news. The goal is for this to be in the news through the midterms.

The Pelosi's don't have to say anything.

Agreed 1000%
And that's why I totally disagreed with "82gradDLSdad" from the start on this.
It's to facilitate nothing more than a continued Faux News charade.

In a perfect world, DLS is right. Drinking and driving should be condemned and shunned at every opportunity. And Nancy has a bullhorn so take such opportunity.

But in the real world, cynically, she can't, because her opponents turn the growth opportunity into a political escapade exactly as you've said - there are bigger fish for her to fry, by far (like saving the free world from Hitler 2.0), so, yeah, let the story die!

I think you are right about the practicalities of this. Since Pelosi is at the end of her career I wish she'd throw practicalities to the curb and say the right thing. We are not perfect and we make mistakes.

Not until the fat POS is jailed, or dead.
Mission not yet accomplished. It's like the end of the movie Scream. Just when you think it's safe to relax, the monster comes back to life for one last scare!

82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

bearister said:

3 months, $3000, 1990, 4 guys, 17 countries. Best summer ever!

Sorry, best summer was 1982...50 days, $600, 13 states, 1 guy, 1 bicycle.
concordtom
Oh my god that sounds exhausting!

How did you carry all your stuff on the bike?
We need more details!
82gradDLSdad
concordtom said:

We need more details!

Bike rack for tent and sleeping bag and big packs for stuff. One of the best things I've done in my life. I commuted to Cal from SF for all five years and needed to do something when I graduated before heading straight to work. Riding across the USA was the hardest and best thing I've done. Have takend a couple of two week trips from Eugene to Yellowstone (the first two weeks of that cross country trip). Those were good too. Now I ride 10 miles a day. :-(
Big C

You went solo?!? Former bicycle tourist here. Didn't have the self-confidence to go by myself until I was much older.
okaydo
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

You went solo?!? Former bicycle tourist here. Didn't have the self-confidence to go by myself until I was much older.

I did a lot of not so smart things back then. I had two friends who had done the same trip two years earlier to encourage me. One of them was even thinking of going with me. I did meet and ride with a few folks for some of the trip. From Colorado on I was alone. I did break a crank arm in South East Missouri but a young man and his family helped me locate a bike repair shop in St. Louis and a trucker gave me a ride up to the city to get me back on my way. It was an eye-opening, extraordinary trip that taught me a lot and gave me a lot of confidence.
concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

We need more details!

Bike rack for tent and sleeping bag and big packs for stuff. One of the best things I've done in my life. I commuted to Cal from SF for all five years and needed to do something when I graduated before heading straight to work. Riding across the USA was the hardest and best thing I've done. Have takend a couple of two week trips from Eugene to Yellowstone (the first two weeks of that cross country trip). Those were good too. Now I ride 10 miles a day. :-(

So, this means that you're the fittest person on this board and will kick anyone's ass you threatens you, as some occasionally do (to much amusement).
concordtom
82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

I did a lot of not so smart things back then. I had two friends who had done the same trip two years earlier to encourage me. One of them was even thinking of going with me. I did meet and ride with a few folks for some of the trip. From Colorado on I was alone. I did break a crank arm in South East Missouri but a young man and his family helped me locate a bike repair shop in St. Louis and a trucker gave me a ride up to the city to get me back on my way. It was an eye-opening, extraordinary trip that taught me a lot and gave me a lot of confidence.

Okay, do tell more.
Where did you sleep each night?
What was the most mikes in a day.
Avg miles per day.
Did you stop and rest for a few days/week anywhere?
Showers?
Crashes?
Eastern Oregon Bear
concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

concordtom said:

We need more details!

So, this means that you're the fittest person on this board and will kick anyone's ass you threatens you, as some occasionally do (to much amusement).
Not me. I usually manage to kick my own ass.
concordtom
Replace "will" with "can".

Good pun, though.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

blungld said:

Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Yes or no?

Quote:

During a press conference on June 6, Lavrov said Ukraine adopted "laws banning the Russian language," claiming the Russian language was prohibited in "education, the media, everyday contacts, etc." Lavrov mentioned that if English had been banned in Ireland or French in Belgium, Europe would have responded differently.

But Lavrov is mischaracterizing a Ukrainian language law. It does not ban Russian from the country.

In January 2022, a new provision of the law was introduced, under which print media outlets registered in Ukraine were required to publish in Ukrainian. This did not ban publications in other languages. Instead, the law required that all content also be published in Ukrainian.

Ukraine's language law, which has been implemented in phases, establishes Ukrainian as the country's sole state language. The law requires Ukrainian to be primarily used in business, school and media settings. However, it does not ban the use of Russian or other languages.
Shocked that you would dissemble Putin's propaganda without examination. Quelle surprise.

Politifact, lulz!

Did you even try to do some basic research on this subject?

Here's some info from Wikipedia, a known Kremlin propaganda outlet:

"In April 2019, the Ukrainian parliament voted a new law, the Law of Ukraine "to ensure the functioning of the Ukrainian language as the State language". On 16 June 2019, the law entered into force. The law made the use of Ukrainian compulsory (totally or within certain quotas)
in the work of some public authorities,
in the electoral procedures and political campaigning,
in pre-school, school and university education,
in scientific, cultural and sporting activities,
in book publishing and book distribution,
in printed mass media, television and radio broadcasting,
in economic and social life (commercial advertising, public events),
in hospitals and nursing homes, and
in the activities of political parties and other legal entities (e.g. non-governmental organizations) registered in Ukraine.

Some special exemptions are provided for the Crimean Tatar language, other languages of indigenous peoples of Ukraine, the English language and the other official languages of the European Union; as languages of minorities that are not EU official languages, Russian, Byelorussian and Yiddish are excluded from the exemptions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_Ukraine

In Zelensky's Ukraine, you can publish a book in English, Norvegian or Swahili, but you're not allowed to publish in Russian, the native language of a third of the country (ironically also Zelensky's mother tongue).

Any people will rise if their basic right to live in their own language and cultural norms is denied by a central government authority that intends to suppress their culture and language. Quebec would rise and immediately secede from Canada if French were outlawed by the federal Canadian government, no ifs, ands or buts.

There is no other country in the so-called free world that throttles the rights of an established, large minority to the same extent that Ukraine does.

This is a very basic facet of the Ukraine conflict that is totally left out of the official narrative.

Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

blungld said:

Cal88 said:

calbear93 said:

Yes or no?

Quote:

Politifact, lulz!

Did you even try to do some basic research on this subject?

Here's some info from Wikipedia, a known Kremlin propaganda outlet:

"In April 2019, the Ukrainian parliament voted a new law, the Law of Ukraine "to ensure the functioning of the Ukrainian language as the State language". On 16 June 2019, the law entered into force. The law made the use of Ukrainian compulsory (totally or within certain quotas)
in the work of some public authorities,
in the electoral procedures and political campaigning,
in pre-school, school and university education,
in scientific, cultural and sporting activities,
in book publishing and book distribution,
in printed mass media, television and radio broadcasting,
in economic and social life (commercial advertising, public events),
in hospitals and nursing homes, and
in the activities of political parties and other legal entities (e.g. non-governmental organizations) registered in Ukraine.

Some special exemptions are provided for the Crimean Tatar language, other languages of indigenous peoples of Ukraine, the English language and the other official languages of the European Union; as languages of minorities that are not EU official languages, Russian, Byelorussian and Yiddish are excluded from the exemptions"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_policy_in_Ukraine

In Zelensky's Ukraine, you can publish a book in English, Norvegian or Swahili, but you're not allowed to publish in Russian, the native language of a third of the country (ironically also Zelensky's mother tongue).

Any people will rise if their basic right to live in their own language and cultural norms is denied by a central government authority that intends to suppress their culture and language. Quebec would rise and immediately secede from Canada if French were outlawed by the federal Canadian government, no ifs, ands or buts.

There is no other country in the so-called free world that throttles the rights of an established, large minority to the same extent that Ukraine does.

This is a very basic facet of the Ukraine conflict that is totally left out of the official narrative.

Thanks for once again proving you are unwilling or unable to separate Kremlin Pravda from reality.

Here is what you originally said:

Quote:

The Politifact article clearly stated you were wrong so you quoted Wikipedia which in no way contradicts what I said or supports your position.

So do you really just think we are all stupid or do you have a reading comprehension problem? Or do you just not care?

To be clear, it is not illegal to distribute Russian language media in Ukraine. The law requires it to be translated into Ukrainian but does not prevent the use of Russian or make it illegal.

I look forward to your next bad faith disingenuous response. It's always great to hear what the Kremlin wants you to tell us.
First Page Last Page
Page 102 of 302

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.