Breaking News

976,238 Views | 11754 Replies | Last: 48 min ago by bear2034
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Porsche reportedly plans steep price increases in 2023 and beyond (motorauthority.com)

EV models will be priced $10,000 - $15,000 more than their comparable gas-powered versions.
Macan, 718, and Cayenne.

2024 MY GT3 prices +8%
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

We have a whole thread on climate change. I just learned last night that the state of California doesn't define hydropower as green? Have to confirm. If so, insane.

The whole 'trans' hysteria seems to have skyrocketed the past 5 years. Tik Tok / social media seems to play a huge role. Journalist Andy Ng I believe has pointed out the alleged large percentage of violent 'non binary' Antifa members.
Yes, conservative hysteria really has ramped up in recent years and it's a menace to this country. We see this across a wide variety of topics. It's apparently been really easy to radicalize you people against your fellow Americans so we see it with your anti-trans and lgbtq hatred, misogyny, racism, anti-climate agenda, anti-history, anti- everything that you have been radicalized to attack as not part of your tribe.

I recently read a heart-breaking article about a father who lost his 6-year old son to a household accident and was relentlessly attacked by ghoulish anti-vaxxers on social media.

movielover
Build Back Better Baby!
movielover
Do you think hormone blockers for young teenagers is wise? Double mastectomy? Teachers exploring personal gender issues with young teenagers?
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

Do you think hormone blockers for young teenagers is wise? Double mastectomy? Teachets exploring personal gender issues with young teenagers?
Do you think grown men should be able to marry children? Do you think we should ban any book or movie that might hurt white people's feelings? Do you think we should prevent pregnant women from receiving life-saving healthcare because of some newly invented Christian sharia law? Do you think we should allow free and unfettered access to weapons of war, including assault rifles, armor-piercing ammunition and the like to any American who wants one so that they can more easily gun down children? Do you think there's a problem when gun violence is the number one killer of children in the US? Do you think conservative fostering of an environment of intolerance is leading to additional violence? Do you think inciting distrust in our institutions and fomenting anti-government violence is presidential?

Do you still think Russia invaded Ukraine due to Ukraine's violation of an agreement which Russia claims not to be a party to or bound by?
DiabloWags

I will make a $500 donation to Cal Athletics if MovieLover answers each one of your questions.
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
MinotStateBeav
Ol Ted Kaczynski loved that book "The Anarchist's Cookbook", why did we ban it?
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

movielover said:

Do you think hormone blockers for young teenagers is wise? Double mastectomy? Teachets exploring personal gender issues with young teenagers?
Do you think grown men should be able to marry children? No.

Do you think we should ban any book or movie that might hurt white people's feelings? No.

Do you think we should prevent pregnant women from receiving life-saving healthcare because of some newly invented Christian sharia law? No.

Do you think we should allow free and unfettered access to weapons of war, including assault rifles, armor-piercing ammunition and the like to any American who wants one so that they can more easily gun down children? No.

Do you think there's a problem when gun violence is the number one killer of children in the US? Yes.

Do you think conservative fostering of an environment of intolerance is leading to additional violence? Yes.

Do you think inciting distrust in our institutions and fomenting anti-government violence is presidential? No.

Do you still think Russia invaded Ukraine due to Ukraine's violation of an agreement which Russia claims not to be a party to or bound by? Yes.

. I went for it. Answers above.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

Protests gaining momentum in France, with protestors now blocking highways and railways. Macron is betting on his law and order upper middle class voters would rally for him, but so far public support for protests remains strong. Macron`s future hangs in the balance.

Macron should back down. Like Putin's allies did in Israel and Georgia (at least temporarily). Cal88 would never show video of those street protests though.

I'd be happy to see Netanyahu ousted permanently. Though it's highly unlikely that a figure like Itzak Rabin could emerge again in present-day Israel unfortunately.

Georgia's situation is very similar to Ukraine's in 2014. I don't think they will follow that path though, thankfully for the future of that country. They've already gone through a NATO war not that long ago, I don't think they want to do that again. The country is roughly split in half, with aspirational liberal urban types out in force last week, but they don't represent the majority of Georgians, that much is clear from the last elections.
movielover
I'll Repost my questions which you ducked (typical), and add a few.

Do you think grown men should be able to marry children? No.

Do you think we should ban any book or movie that might hurt white people's feelings? No. And why are you obsessing about European Americans?

Do you think we should prevent pregnant women from receiving life-saving healthcare because of some newly invented Christian sharia law? Unclear question.

Do you think we should allow free and unfettered access to weapons of war, including assault rifles, armor-piercing ammunition and the like to any American who wants one so that they can more easily gun down children? No.

Do you think there's a problem when gun violence is the number one killer of children in the US? Yes. But despite many new laws, Chicago still has a horrific murder rate, so something else has to change.

Do you think conservative fostering of an environment of intolerance is leading to additional violence? No. Antifa, the MSM, liberal politicians hateful rhetoric and BLM committed or spearheaded many criminal efforts.

Do you think inciting distrust in our institutions and fomenting anti-government violence is presidential? Baiting. With the Twitter Files, repeated DOJ and FBI corruption, 27 crooked DOJ attorneys, lying military brass from Patraes to Powell to Austin, they brought in on themselves. Whistleblowers come forward and get steam rolled. Congress hasn't passed a budget in 9 years? Most of the illegal and unethical moves go in one direction in Washington DC, but both sides are guilty. Congress, FBI, DOJ, MSM, etc., have earned their phenomenally low approval ratings.

Do you still think Russia invaded Ukraine due to Ukraine's violation of an agreement which Russia claims not to be a party to or bound by? Yes.
Unit2Sucks
Thanks for answering.

Your answer around Minsk makes no sense but at least you are on record with a response. I say that it makes no sense because no one can reasonably claim that Russia is justified in starting a war based, even in part, on the violation of an agreement which it claims it wasn't a part of. If it was a part of the agreement, and didn't have "unclean hands" that could be a different story, in theory.

As it turns out, of course, Russia is lying and was a party to the agreement. It signed the agreement, along with the "independent" puppet states and never had any attention of them or it abiding by it, or acknowledging that it was bound by that agreement. Claiming that Ukraine's violation of Minsk was responsible for Russia's unprovoked war is even more illegitimate and just an amplification of bare-faced Russian propaganda.

As to your questions - I would ultimately defer to doctors on hormone blockers and top surgeries. I'm not sure if hormone blockers is a big deal and that generally seems like a less invasive option to give teenagers time to figure out what's best for them, along with their doctors and family. My understanding is that top surgeries (both augmentation and reduction) are fairly common on American teenage girls so I'm not sure why being transgender would make that a medical problem that doesn't exist for cisgender girls. As a parent, I hope my children are happy in their bodies and don't feel like they would benefit from something like that, but if I felt like it would prevent their suicide, which is a real effing problem in this country and in that group specifically, I might be thrilled that they have the option. Pretending that your children aren't who they are doesn't seem to me to be a solution to a problem. It only leads to heartbreak for all involved.

As for teachers exploring "personal gender issues" I have no idea what you are referring to - sounds like your framing is conservative fear-mongering. If it's creepy men perving on girls, I'm against it just as I'm against conservatives who take child brides. Even more so when those people prey on girls they met in an official capacity, whether it's as a teacher or church youth groups. The biggest grooming problem we have by far is from straight white men preying on girls. It's not even close.

If what you are referring to is educational and part of a structured sex ed course, I'm fine with it. I don't think exposure to or knowledge of transgender issues will cause cisgender people to misgender themselves. All of these LGBTQ people are bombarded with straight cisgender propaganda from day one of their lives and still find their way to the other side. If your child realizes they are gay because they read a book, it was going to happen sooner or later. The book didn't make them gay. This is just regressive fearmongering and is no different from the people who opposed rock and roll, dancing, or whatever. You're living in the past and you can't accept where the world is or where it's heading. That's on you.
movielover
There are people here who think this makes sense?

sycasey
My strongest opinion on this trans issue is that people spend way too much time worrying about a thing that affects a very small percentage of the population. I know why the right wing wants to make a big issue of it, and it's not because they are trying to help the population at large.
MinotStateBeav
sycasey said:

My strongest opinion on this trans issue is that people spend way too much time worrying about a thing that affects a very small percentage of the population. I know why the right wing wants to make a big issue of it, and it's not because they are trying to help the population at large.
Maybe you can acknowledge that the right has a valid issue with trans who dress like strippers doing story time to small children or twerking in their faces at strip clubs. Also the # of trans has exploded compared to what it was.

"Between 2016 and 2017, the number of gender surgeries for natal females in the US quadrupled; in the UK, the rates of gender dysphoria for teenage girls are up 4,400 percent over the previous decade. An ailment that typically began in early childhood, and overwhelmingly afflicted males, suddenly has a new dominant demographic: teenage girls."

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/how-peer-contagion-plays-into-the-rise-of-teens-transitioning/

You guys just want to bury your head in the sands and act like this sh*t is normal. All we're saying is ..if you want to transition surgically, do it over 18 or 21...stop having it done to 12 year olds. It would also be fantastic if we could improve our mental health care as I believe it's the core issue of this problem. Amazingly we can do also argue more than one thing..I know this is a difficult concept for you to understand.
sycasey
MinotStateBeav said:

sycasey said:

Maybe you can acknowledge that the right has a valid issue with trans who dress like strippers doing story time to small children or twerking in their faces at strip clubs. Also the # of trans has exploded compared to what it was.

"Between 2016 and 2017, the number of gender surgeries for natal females in the US quadrupled; in the UK, the rates of gender dysphoria for teenage girls are up 4,400 percent over the previous decade. An ailment that typically began in early childhood, and overwhelmingly afflicted males, suddenly has a new dominant demographic: teenage girls."

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/how-peer-contagion-plays-into-the-rise-of-teens-transitioning/

You guys just want to bury your head in the sands and act like this sh*t is normal. All we're saying is ..if you want to transition surgically, do it over 18 or 21...stop having it done to 12 year olds. It would also be fantastic if we could improve our mental health care as I believe it's the core issue of this problem. Amazingly we can do also argue more than one thing..I know this is a difficult concept for you to understand.
There are some valid concerns (youth medical care, women's sports), but IMO they are given a spot in the political discourse FAR above their actual impact on the world.

If there are medical clinics behaving unethically, prosecute them. If the standards of care around medical transition need to be updated for a changing world, let the doctors sort that out. Otherwise, I don't see why the government needs to be so heavily involved with individual families and their medical choices.

Drag queens reading stories to kids is a big whatever. Don't like it? Don't do it. Otherwise, who cares?
movielover
Tell that to a young CHILD who has been given a mastectomy and put on hormone blockers.

Detransitioner Chloe Cole files first-ever lawsuit against medical providers (including Kaiser) who mutilated her while she was a minor

Not old enough to consent, not wise enough to self diagnose, and rushed through the conveyor belt system instead of treating her normal issues like depression and anxiety.

"Today's youth are experiencing a social-media fueled social contagion and identity crisis: A recent Gallup poll of 10,000 people found that 19.7 percent of Gen Z is LGBT, while only 3.3 percent of Generation X and 2.7 percent of Baby Boomers are LGBT. While only a relatively small percentage of Gen Z is transgender, that number is nearly double the number of millennials who are transgender and over six times higher than Generation X."

https://www.standingforfreedom.com/2023/02/detransitioner-chloe-cole-files-first-ever-lawsuit-against-medical-providers-who-mutilated-her-while-she-was-a-minor/

Thousands of class-action lawsuits in the UK.

Hungarian Conservative: The Tavistock Files: the Age of Transgender Lawsuits is Here

"When news broke that the Tavistock Centre, the UK's largest and oldest gender reaffirming clinic, operated by the National Health Service (NHS), is being shut down, and over a thousand families are suing it for medical malpractice that caused irreversible damage to their children, the first thing that came to my mind was that Douglas Murray was right. In his book titled The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race, Identity, he explored the social, cultural and historical antecedents that gave birth to and have been fuelling some of the most unhinged woke movements of our age and theorized about their possible consequences that can affect our societies as a whole. In one chapter of the bookwhich was published in 2019he examined several cases of young people regretting their transition and attempting to return to their original sex, albeit the drugs and surgeries had changed their bodies permanently.

"One of the things that were common in the stories of all the broken men and women interviewed by Murray was the feeling of contempt for the medical "professionals" in the field of gender transition. The regretful young people told the same story over and over again: how psychologists and doctors relentlessly encouraged them throughout their journey (never once questioning the validity of their gender dysphoria), and how they were all told that hormone-assisted transition is easily reversible at any time of their lives. A recurrent theme in the testimonies was that, in retrospect, the victims felt it had been utterly absurd to expect a naive child to give "informed" consent to a life-altering decision, especially since they had not been properly informed of all the horrible side effects that were likely come with it. In his book,..."

https://www.hungarianconservative.com/articles/current/the-tavistock-files-the-age-of-transgender-lawsuits-is-here/
Unit2Sucks
When did conservatives stop valuing personal freedom? According to anecdotal evidence, about half of all tattoo recipients regret getting inked. Should we outlaw that? Why haven't conservatives ever taken notice of the growth in cosmetic surgery to teenagers in this country? Whether it's a nose job or breast reduction or augmentation, why do they not care about that? Does breast reduction only become a problem when it's someone transitioning?

Why do conservatives want to dictate that people can't obtain the medical care they want? Why is a 14 old enough to be a child bride but too young to make other consequential decisions?

I think we all know the answer - this has everything to do with hate and little to do with actual concern for anyone's well-being. None of these anti-trans people are advocating for more mental healthcare or anything else to help people. They just want to exercise the power of the state to prevent people they don't like from doing things they don't like.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

When did conservatives stop valuing personal freedom? According to anecdotal evidence, about half of all tattoo recipients regret getting inked. Should we outlaw that? Why haven't conservatives ever taken notice of the growth in cosmetic surgery to teenagers in this country? Whether it's a nose job or breast reduction or augmentation, why do they not care about that? Does breast reduction only become a problem when it's someone transitioning?

Why do conservatives want to dictate that people can't obtain the medical care they want? Why is a 14 old enough to be a child bride but too young to make other consequential decisions?

I think we all know the answer - this has everything to do with hate and little to do with actual concern for anyone's well-being. None of these anti-trans people are advocating for more mental healthcare or anything else to help people. They just want to exercise the power of the state to prevent people they don't like from doing things they don't like.
Funny you say that...you can't get a tat without your parents consent as a child.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/ages-for-body-piercing-and-tattooing-2611114
Cal88
sycasey said:

You're out of touch, this is not a marginal phenomenon among kids today. Gender dysphoria is being actively promoted in a growing segment of the education system.

Quote:

This "transitioning" process is very far from benign, not just with the body mutilations, but also in the chemical treatments, the drugs also are not benign.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

You're out of touch, this is not a marginal phenomenon among kids today. Gender dysphoria is being actively promoted in a growing segment of the education system.
Do you have any actual numbers as to how many kids are involved in these gender issues? A "growing segment" is pretty vague. That could mean it's gone from 10 million to 15 million kids or it could mean it's gone from 20 to 30 kids.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

You're out of touch

Pot, kettle, etc.
dajo9
I don't want to get too personal but I have a Gen Z family member who identifies as LGBTQIA+. She lives in a blue state. If there were forces at work pushing gender dysphoria, I would think she would be a prime candidate. No such thing has happened to her.

Though I'm pretty confident if she grew up in the 1980s/1990s like me, she wouldn't publicly identify as LGBTQIA. She'd just be whispered about behind her back.
Today's society is so much better for her.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
Big C
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Do you have any actual numbers as to how many kids are involved in these gender issues? A "growing segment" is pretty vague. That could mean it's gone from 10 million to 15 million kids or it could mean it's gone from 20 to 30 kids.

I have one kid left who is still in elementary school (fairly progressive Bay Area community) and I will say this: You would be surprised at the high percentage of kids who are either questioning their gender or have already "switched". Like 5+ percent. (Maybe that isn't surprising, I don't know what surprises people anymore.)

I think what is happening -- and I write this largely out of ignorance, but hey, it's the BI Off Topic Forum -- is that a fair percentage of kids who might "normally" be questioning their sexual preference are now questioning their gender.

We are still in the early stages of figuring this all out. We should be going slowly and treat all kids more as just "kids", instead of desperately trying to get them to choose a gender. One side wants to tell them dammit, you are what your "parts" say you are. The other side seems just a little too eager to assign them as transgender. They are just kids. Let them wear what they want and play with the toys they want without stressing out over what it "means". They will figure it out, in time.
dajo9
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

The other side seems just a little too eager to assign them as transgender.

That's just right wing framing
movielover
Unit2Sucks said:

I can point to two obvious biological reasons why we shouldn't perform sex change procedures on 12 year olds. Can you?

A 12 year old also can't consent; especially when adults are ignorant or lying to them.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Renee Richards took years of therapy and years to transition. Why are we speed-tracking Tik Tok diagnosis of children?

Two decades ago I tried to read up on the topic, and there is very little in-depth, longitudinal data on the topic. Many of these people lead very haphazard lives.

Do you have any idea why this phenomena / fad is primarily affecting young girls?

Why are you in such a rush to give a 12-year-old girl a double mastectomy, hormone blockers and hormones, when that all could still be done at 22 or 25? We can't teach children to read and write, but the same social studies teachers and amateur school counselors want to push sex change operations? Ridiculous.

And what happens to these - typically young girls - if you just leave them the hell alone?

Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe, maybe not. This is a very new question for our society. How about if we take kids who are, say, ages 4-11, and just accept and treasure them all as "kids"? (BTW, that sentence that you quoted was part of a larger context.)
sycasey
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe, maybe not. This is a very new question for our society. How about if we take kids who are, say, 4-11, and just accept and treasure them all as "kids"?

Does your experience suggest that adults are aggressively pushing a "trans" identity on the kids you know about?
dajo9
Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe, maybe not. This is a very new question for our society. How about if we take kids who are, say, 4-11, and just accept and treasure them all as "kids"?

I just try not to judge people I know nothing about no matter the age. Are you saying there isn't one kid aged 4-11 who feels they are completely in the wrong body. And that we should just ignore their complaints or behaviors or tears?
MinotStateBeav
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

I just try not to judge people I know nothing about no matter the age. Are you saying there isn't one kid aged 4-11 who feels they are completely in the wrong body. And that we should just ignore their complaints or behaviors or tears?
They're children. Repeat that phrase. They look to parents to protect them. Even if they are incapable of doing it themselves. That's why we tell them, don't touch the stove, it's hot.
Big C
sycasey said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Does your experience suggest that adults are aggressively pushing a "trans" identity on the kids you know about?

I wouldn't use the word "aggressive". I will readily admit to not knowing the full stories, which is why I would say we should slow down a little bit and accept all kids as they are, without labeling them too early.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

They're children. Repeat that phrase. They look to parents to protect them. Even if they are incapable of doing it themselves. That's why we tell them, don't touch the stove, it's hot.

Yes, you stated my motivations well
Unit2Sucks
movielover said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I can point to two obvious biological reasons why we shouldn't perform sex change procedures on 12 year olds. Can you?

A 12 year old also can't consent; especially when adults are ignorant or lying to them.

If I recall correctly, Dr. Renee Richards took years of therapy and years to transition. Why are we speed-tracking Tik Tok diagnosis of children?

Two decades ago I tried to read up on the topic, and there is very little in-depth, longitudinal data on the topic. Many of these people lead very haphazard lives.

Do you have any idea why this phenomena / fad is primarily affecting young girls?

Why are you in such a rush to give a 12-year-old girl a double mastectomy, hormone blockers and hormones, when that all could still be done at 22 or 25? We can't teach children to read and write, but the same social studies teachers and amateur school counselors want to push sex change operations? Ridiculous.

And what happens to these - typically young girls - if you just leave them the hell alone?

Can you remind us again what type of medical doctor you are and why your expertise is superior to the academy? Is your expertise limiting to dictating what gender affirming care the "small government" you pretend to advocate for can allow or are there other areas where you believe your expertise should supervene all others?

When setting health care policy in this country, I don't recall the AMA ever asking for my layman's opinion but it seems you think your opinion is super valuable here. Would love to understand why that is.

From my vantage point, you seem like an out of touch, poorly informed dude who is easily radicalized by your echo-chamber and often falls for right wing misinformation. That doesn't exactly constitute an archetype for determining the course of health care public policy in this country.

We've also seen this before with radicalized conservatives using their "small government" to restrict female reproductive rights and it's resulted in numerous horrible cases of women being forced to put their lives at risk to carry non-viable pregnancies "to term." Forgive me for being skeptical of hate-driven fake medical experts dictating medical care where doctors, parents and patients seem better equipped to make these decisions.

I guess since I'm someone who believes that the constitution supports certain personal freedom, it can be hard for modern conservatives to understand my point of view.
Big C
dajo9 said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe they feel they are in the "wrong" body because we make too big a deal about labeling them as a boy or a girl.
dajo9
Big C said:

sycasey said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

I wouldn't use the word "aggressive". I will readily admit to not knowing the full stories, which is why I would say we should slow down a little bit and accept all kids as they are, without labeling them too early.

Everybody is labeled at birth. If a little boy wants to wear dresses and be called a girl - and this goes on for a long time. What do you call the child?
AunBear89
I have been working in education in various capacities for 30+ years. In my experience, there have always been kids who are a little different from their peers. The boy who would rather play kitchen and dolls rather than four square or tag during play time. Minot and his buddies (and their children) would call him a sissy or similar pejoratives. Or the girl who would rather play dodgeball or climb the play structure rather than pretend to be princesses or color butterflies. She gets called a Tomboy.

Many of these kids used to suppress these desires and forced themselves to conform to societal norms, creating long term emotional issues that could lead to a variety of negative outcomes. Today's parents and larger society are more accepting of these kids, and they are encouraged to explore who they are and what they enjoy. In this environment, it is not surprising that some of these kids will start to ask further deeper questions about who they are and how they fit in to society.

I think a supportive school should be an environment where this exploration be can happen safely. But the unhinged GOP is convinced that this more open environment leads to grooming or even surgery without parental consent.

Such nonsense does not happen at the rate these clowns suggest. No gender affirming surgery happens to minors without parental consent, and the patient must undergo counseling regardless of age to assess the commitment and seriousness of the intention to began transitioning.

But Righteous Righties will continue to tell their horror stories and pretend they care about these kids. But their inability to act on guns show they don't give a f- about kids. Just virtue signaling red meat for the base. And movie lover and Minot eat it up and ask for more.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
First Page Last Page
Page 151 of 336

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.