Breaking News

975,377 Views | 11749 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by SFCityBear
DiabloWags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Must be GODS WILL.

https://www.newsweek.com/bud-light-taken-off-restaurant-menu-being-contrary-biblical-faith-1795407

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Big C
movielover said:

Rudy G cleaned up New York partly via the 'broken window' philosophy.

A retired LEO called KGO radio years ago and had this view. 'The best prevention was catching a first crime, treating it seriously, and preventing crime from becoming a "way of life".' His view was that multiple slaps on the wrist, "warnings", probation, dropping cases, etc., emboldened young people into a way of life. By the time they did more serious crimes - GTA, armed robbery, etc. - it was a way of life, and eventually prison time was 'finishing school' and bragging rights.

Also, "wobblers" of the type DA Pamela Price wants as defacto misdemeanors or waived offenses were the oressure needed to get offenders into drug rehab or to earn a GED. Successfully complete rehab, reclassify a felony down.

I agree with the "broken window" philosophy. One of the tenets of that in NYC at that time was to stop cheaters from jumping over the turnstiles to get on the subway. I guess BART is just now trying this.

As a high school teacher, I can say that, if a teacher starts out the year letting a lot of little rules be broken, pretty soon, a "culture of non-compliance" becomes established and... forget it.

More to the point, IMO, crimes like home burglary, car break-ins and felony-level shoplifting (large quantities for purposes of resale) are serious and should be prosecuted as such. And at some point, repeat offenders should be put away.

Oops, I did it again: Sorry, concordtom!
DiabloWags
Sorry Bezerkeley City Council.

A federal appeals court overturns Berkeley's first in the nation ban on natural gas lines in new buildings (which took effect in 2020), agreeing with restaurant owners that the ordinance conflicts wifh federal laws on energy efficiency.
movielover
DiabloWags said:

Benicia Knapps should get the DEATH PENALTY.

Believe it or not, a licensed security guard with a criminal history.
She tried choking herself in the back of the police car with the seat belt, went unconscious and is currently receiving medical care in a local hospital before being taken to Santa Rita Jail.

I understand Bonnie & Clyde - they knocked off banks and lived the wild life. A phone charger? The seat belt thing may have been an ad lib ploy for temporary insanity. If she really want to end her life, she had a gun.
DiabloWags
8 Members of Congress selling out of their Bank stocks as the shares of Regional Banks like Silicon Valley and First Republic collapsed.

As Fears of Banking Crisis Surged, Members of Congress Sold Bank Shares (yahoo.com)
oski003
DiabloWags said:

8 Members of Congress selling out of their Bank stocks as the shares of Regional Banks like Silicon Valley and First Republic collapsed.

As Fears of Banking Crisis Surged, Members of Congress Sold Bank Shares (yahoo.com)

SVB started crashing and the bank run started on March 9. These sales were all March 10 or later. Should they hold these failing stocks just because they are in Congress? The problem seems to be having the stocks in the first place.
concordtom
Big C said:

PS: Sorry, concordtom! I know this thread should be kept clean for any "Breaking News"! Any further discussion should be in a dedicated thread.

This is a fun theme you've got going where I am the OT thread-rules chief.
However, just for the record, I'll point out that the concept was started by Bearister simply because I proposed having an orderly Obituaries thread.

So long as this is understood, carry on.
concordtom
Big C said:

movielover said:

A retired LEO called KGO radio years ago and had this view. 'The best prevention was catching a first crime, treating it seriously, and preventing crime from becoming a "way of life".' His view was that multiple slaps on the wrist, "warnings", probation, dropping cases, etc., emboldened young people into a way of life. By the time they did more serious crimes - GTA, armed robbery, etc. - it was a way of life, and eventually prison time was 'finishing school' and bragging rights.

Also, "wobblers" of the type DA Pamela Price wants as defacto misdemeanors or waived offenses were the oressure needed to get offenders into drug rehab or to earn a GED. Successfully complete rehab, reclassify a felony down.

I agree with the "broken window" philosophy. One of the tenets of that in NYC at that time was to stop cheaters from jumping over the turnstiles to get on the subway. I guess BART is just now trying this.

As a high school teacher, I can say that, if a teacher starts out the year letting a lot of little rules be broken, pretty soon, a "culture of non-compliance" becomes established and... forget it.

More to the point, IMO, crimes like home burglary, car break-ins and felony-level shoplifting (large quantities for purposes of resale) are serious and should be prosecuted as such. And at some point, repeat offenders should be put away.

Oops, I did it again: Sorry, concordtom!

I forgive you.
But don't let it happen again, dammit!

….Regarding you being a teacher, I salute you! Thank you.
DiabloWags
oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

SVB started crashing and the bank run started on March 9. These sales were all March 10 or later. Should they hold these failing stocks just because they are in Congress? The problem seems to be having the stocks in the first place.

Did you read the article?

These Bank stock sales werent just in SVB.
Seacoast, First Republic, etc.
MinotStateBeav
Antony Blinken Was Behind Gathering 50+ Members of Intel Community to Lie and Sign Bogus Letter on Hunter Laptop Being Russian Disinformation

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/04/reports-showing-that-antony-blinken-was-in-charge-of-getting-over-50-intel-people-to-sign-bogus-letter-on-hunter-laptop/

movielover
MinotStateBeav said:

Antony Blinken Was Behind Gathering 50+ Members of Intel Community to Lie and Sign Bogus Letter on Hunter Laptop Being Russian Disinformation

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/04/reports-showing-that-antony-blinken-was-in-charge-of-getting-over-50-intel-people-to-sign-bogus-letter-on-hunter-laptop/

He's a walking disaster.
movielover
Apparently GoFundMe has put a temporary hold on the account established by Blake Moh's family, the young man killed at Home Depot.

The family wants to raise $10,000 to outfit all security personnel with bullt-proof vests with a heart sewn inside as a remembrance of Blake.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/blake-mohs-memorial-fund-and-bullet-proof-vests?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=sms&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined&embedded_webview=true
MinotStateBeav
movielover said:

Apparently GoFundMe has put a temporary hold on the account established by Blake Moh's family, the young man killed at Home Depot.

The family wants to raise $10,000 to outfit all security personnel with bullt-proof vests with a heart sewn inside as a remembrance of Blake.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/blake-mohs-memorial-fund-and-bullet-proof-vests?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=undefined&utm_medium=sms&utm_source=customer&utm_term=undefined&embedded_webview=true
Go Fund Me is an activist site. They pick and choose the causes they allow. They were fine raising funds to bail out rioters in the summer of 2020.
movielover
What's an alternate site?
MinotStateBeav
movielover said:

What's an alternate site?

I think the two more popular ones are Fundly and JustGiving
oski003
DiabloWags said:

oski003 said:

DiabloWags said:

Did you read the article?

These Bank stock sales werent just in SVB.
Seacoast, First Republic, etc.

Yes, I did. Did you use your BRAIN when writing this response?
DiabloWags
Musk tells Tucker Carlson that he voted for Biden.
And Trump gets his panties twisted.

Lmfao.

MinotStateBeav
It's funny because Libs generally hate Musk with the same passion as they do Trump even though he's a sh*tpoasting centrist and a lot of conservatives like him even though he's no fan of Trump.
BearHunter

Buzzfeed "News" is shutting down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/buzzfeed-news-shutting-down-rcna80656
concordtom
All charges against Alec Baldwin dropped.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alec-baldwin-rust-criminal-charges-dropped-195315070.html

dajo9
movielover said:

Crime went down across the country while Giuliani was Mayor. If any politician deserves credit it would be Bill Clinton. NYC didn't experience anything every other major American city experienced.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
dajo9
Unit2Sucks said:

I would say this is what a "pro crime" DA looks like. This is abhorrent and yet a lot of GOPers probably agree with racist policies like this.

My Father was a criminal defense attorney and he told me plea offers from DAs were routinely better for his white clients
movielover
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Crime went down across the country while Giuliani was Mayor. If any politician deserves credit it would be Bill Clinton. NYC didn't experience anything every other major American city experienced.

Because LEO realized a large chunk of crimes were committed in 6 or 7 major cities by career criminals - Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. Many of those who were locked up were African American, Hillary labeled some as "super predators".

I read a provocative, in depth analysis claiming a reduction in lead paint was the root cause.
dajo9
movielover said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Because LEO realized a large chunk of crimes were committed in 6 or 7 major cities by career criminals - Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. Many of those who were locked up were African American, Hillary labeled some as "super predators".

I read a provocative, in depth analysis claiming a reduction in lead paint was the root cause.

So you agree Giuliani had nothing to do with it
movielover
No. Like many things, likely many contributions, including NY's policies, America funding 100,000 additional law enforcement officers, attacking the crack epidemic and violence nationwide, Three Strikes laws, tough on crime policies, etc.

The reverse of today, where CA Democrats have reduced prison beds by over 40%, dismantled voter-approved death row, closed a prison Vocational facility in Tracy, and want to close up to 9 more prisons. So more people like the Bonnie & Clyde in Pleasanton on the streets. Then Federal requirements may kick in if there is 'overcrowding', releasing even more prisoners into local jails or the streets.
movielover
movielover

Experienced Attorney weighs in:

movielover
dajo9
movielover said:

No. Like many things, likely many contributions, including NY's policies, America funding 100,000 additional law enforcement officers, attacking the crack epidemic and violence nationwide, Three Strikes laws, tough on crime policies, etc.

The reverse of today, where CA Democrats have reduced prison beds by over 40%, dismantled voter-approved death row, closed a prison Vocational facility in Tracy, and want to close up to 9 more prisons. So more people like the Bonnie & Clyde in Pleasanton on the streets. Then Federal requirements may kick in if there is 'overcrowding', releasing even more prisoners into local jails or the streets.

Crime in CA is much lower today than it was before Giuliani became Mayor of NYC and Clinton became President
Big C
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Crime in CA is much lower today than it was before Giuliani became Mayor of NYC and Clinton became President

That's why he is known as "America's Mayor"!

(further discussion of this issue should be held at the Four Seasons)
concordtom
Did you ever watch this?
I thought it was fairly entertaining.
-A vignette into an insane chapter of American history.

Big C

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall, watching an incompetent from the Trump/Giuliani team booking Four Seasons Total Lanscaping for their press conference, thinking it was a Four Seasons hotel! A classic moment!
BearHunter

How can you go wrong with pepperoni?
AunBear89
BearHunter said:

When someone has put his tiny little hands all over it and taken a couple of bites out of it.

But you MAGAs go ahead and enjoy!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
BearHunter said:

I'm pretty sure before he reports to Hell that he will see some of these people at the Gates of Heaven before he gets rejected.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
First Page Last Page
Page 162 of 336

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.