Breaking News

980,921 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"After Shohei Ohtani pitched a one-hit complete game shutout in Thursday's doubleheader against the Tigers, I messaged Jeff: "I swear, if he homers in the second game…"

And then he did! TWICE!!!"
-Axios

Photo: Duane Burleson/Getty Images
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
He reportedly has identical numbers hitting and pitching - when compared to the great Bambino!

dimitrig
okaydo said:

I can't get over this column by The New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, who if you'll recall quit The Times last to run for Oregon governor.

He finds a way to make it appear he had this really impoverished upbringing.

Yet his father had a Ph D. from University of Chicago and taught at Portland State University after stints at a number of universities, including Stanford. (The article doesn't mention this.)

At the University of Chicago, his father met his mother, who also was a Portland State professor with degrees from University of Chicago a doctorate from Colombia and more.

He does disclose that this 3 kids all happen to be Harvard grads. (His wife has degrees from Cornell, Harvard and Princeton).

His article talks about how he wasn't really qualified for Harvard but because they wanted a diverse class they selected someone like him and how it was a really positive thing for him. He wants to end legacy admissions.

I read that article as an argument in favor of affirmative action.

Did you see it differently?

dimitrig
bearister said:

"After Shohei Ohtani pitched a one-hit complete game shutout in Thursday's doubleheader against the Tigers, I messaged Jeff: "I swear, if he homers in the second game…"

And then he did! TWICE!!!"
-Axios

Photo: Duane Burleson/Getty Images

I am concerned that the Angels may be shortening his career by allowing him to play so many innings.

Especially because they aren't contenders.

I hope he gets to play in the playoffs.

movielover
Will he end up with the Dodgers, Giants, or ...???

I don't follow baseball closely. The problem is that any team that unloads too much talent then can't compete, and he wants to win. Catch 22. The Dodgers supposedly have a deep farm system which could give them an edge. Give up 5, 10 minor leaguers, 3-4 MLB players, and get the player of a lifetime.
oski003
movielover said:

Will he end up with the Dodgers, Giants, or ...???

I don't follow baseball closely. The problem is that any team that unloads too much talent then can't compete, and he wants to win. Catch 22. The Dodgers supposedly have a deep farm system which could give them an edge. Give up 5, 10 minor leaguers, 3-4 MLB players, and get the player of a lifetime.

Can't he just sign with the Dodgers next year without them having to give up 14 players for him?
movielover
That may be possible. My understanding is this, say the Angel's know the odds of signing him are low (largely bc they can't win, and will be strapped by 2 large contracts).

Get something instead of nothing. For the Dodgers? They would prevent, say, the Yankees coming in, offering $600M instead of $450M. Anything can happen if he's a free agent. Why not dump 20 players to get the marquee player of the century and a marketing bonanza?

The tricky part is structuring his contract so you can acquire other needed players. Give him $100 Million at signing? Give him 5% of the team? Increased jersey take?

Will he someday speak publicly in English, or is this a savvy way to avoid media attention?
SFCityBear
okaydo said:

I can't get over this column by The New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, who if you'll recall quit The Times last to run for Oregon governor.

Yet his father had a Ph D. from University of Chicago and taught at Portland State University after stints at a number of universities, including Stanford. (The article doesn't mention this.)

At the University of Chicago, his father met his mother, who also was a Portland State professor with degrees from University of Chicago a doctorate from Colombia and more.

He does disclose that this 3 kids all happen to be Harvard grads. (His wife has degrees from Cornell, Harvard and Princeton).

I agree that he probably wasn't impoverished as a child, but I would have used as evidence the fact that he and his wife purchased a 73 acre farm in Oregon, rather than cite his father's degrees or jobs as a university professor. in the 1950s, professor salaries were not very high, and they had to generate income for the university, like research grants for physical or life sciences, or for themselves personally like sale of their books. University political science profs didn't make much salary in those days, but with two of them working, they were probably doing fairly well. When I did research on the staff at Cal's Engineering lab, the director told me the average researcher had to publish 5 papers per year to make a salary equal to what his salary would have been if he worked in private industry. The director also told me that in his day (the 1940s), he only had to publish one research paper in every 2 years to make as much money as he would have made in private industry. Still Kristof's father did do other jobs, like being a logger, which he may have done to supplement the family income, but I don't know that.
SFCityBear
okaydo
SFCityBear said:

okaydo said:

I agree that he probably wasn't impoverished as a child, but I would have used as evidence the fact that he and his wife purchased a 73 acre farm in Oregon, rather than cite his father's degrees or jobs as a university professor. in the 1950s, professor salaries were not very high, and they had to generate income for the university, like research grants for physical or life sciences, or for themselves personally like sale of their books. University political science profs didn't make much salary in those days, but with two of them working, they were probably doing fairly well. When I did research on the staff at Cal's Engineering lab, the director told me the average researcher had to publish 5 papers per year to make a salary equal to what his salary would have been if he worked in private industry. The director also told me that in his day (the 1940s), he only had to publish one research paper in every 2 years to make as much money as he would have made in private industry. Still Kristof's father did do other jobs, like being a logger, which he may have done to supplement the family income, but I don't know that.

His parents bought their farm in 1971, the year they joined the Portland State staff.

And he grew up with a 30,000-volume library.

SFCityBear
okaydo said:

SFCityBear said:

okaydo said:

His parents bought their farm in 1971, the year they joined the Portland State staff.

And he grew up with a 30,000-volume library.

Thanks for this. His father had quite a life. It would have been very interesting to know him.
SFCityBear
movielover
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

I'd reply that you're having another conspiracy theory about what liberals believe.
AunBear89
Add "conspiracy theory " to the list of terms that Righteous Righties don't understand but pretend that they do.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearHunter
The difference between the truth and a right wing conspiracy is on average 18 months.
Pizzagate doesn't count but the libs love to point it out and ignore the rest.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Safe Space said:

Eastern Oregon Bear said:

movielover said:

I'd reply that you're having another conspiracy theory about what liberals believe.
Which one of those do you disagree with?
You mean besides all of it?

Quote:

Keep in mind that if you believe someone can decide what their gender is, you believe the first two whether you like it or not.
No, I believe a man can transform themselves to look like a woman and take a woman's hormones, but a man can't install aftermarket female organs (ovaries, etc.) and have babies. Thanks once again for telling me what I believe instead of letting me decide that.
oski003
Job Listing For Obama's New Personal Chef Receives Zero Applications

MARTHA'S VINEYARD After posting a job listing to fill their vacant personal chef position, former President Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, were disappointed to learn it had received zero applications.

"Why wouldn't anyone want this job?" an exasperated Michelle was heard asking her servant's personal assistant's driver at the Obamas' lavish estate. "Working for us is one of the greatest privileges anyone could experience. As long as you don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong, you'll be well-compensated and you'll get to stay alive! Where's the downside?"

In the absence of someone to prepare meals, Barack has reportedly found himself in the unenviable position of cooking for Michelle every day. "You think I want to be the one in the line of fire?" he was heard asking one of his bodyguards' social media managers. "That woman is serious about her food. You do not want to overcook her steak. You saw what happened to the last guy."

Remaining staff members have been attempting to steer clear of the couple when they are around, going as far as to avert their eyes or dive into nearby shrubs to avoid running afoul of the former president and his wife. "You don't know what it's like around here," said one staff member who asked to remain anonymous out of fear. "I'd tell you, but…I don't want to get, you know, 'paddleboarded.'"
At publishing time, the Obamas were preparing to sweeten the position to potential chefs, including offering to pay for their funeral and burial arrangements.

https://babylonbee.com/news/job-posting-for-obamas-new-personal-chef-receives-zero-applications?utm_source=The%20Babylon%20Bee%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email
AunBear89
More Babylon Bee SPAM.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
oski003
Here is the Breaking News:

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/25/1189911880/obama-chef-drown-marthas-vineyard

A personal chef to the Obama family drowned while paddleboarding in Martha's Vineyard, police confirmed on Monday.

The body of Tafari Campbell, 45, of Dumfries, Va., was uncovered after a two-day search in Edgartown Great Pond, near a home owned by the Obamas. The Massachusetts State Police said the former president and first lady were not present at the time of the drowning.

Campbell had served as a White House sous chef during Barack Obama's presidency and left in 2016 to work for the former president and his wife.

The office of Barack and Michelle Obama did not immediately respond to NPR's request for comment, but in a joint statement shared with several news outlets, including the Associated Press, the couple characterized Campbell as a "beloved part of our family."
dimitrig
AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

They had a couple of surprisingly clever articles lately but this was regression to the mean or possibly even worse. It was just stupid.

AunBear89
dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

They had a couple of surprisingly clever articles lately but this was regression to the mean or possibly even worse. It was just stupid.

I love the Conservative MAGAt thought process: "Hmm, someone has died tragically. Let's write a "comedy" piece taking the piss out of the upity black people who employed the deceased."

And our resident knuckle dragging MAGAt apologist eats it up and spits it out here because it's soooo funny to him and the rest of the clown car.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

I love the Conservative MAGAt thought process: "Hmm, someone has died tragically. Let's write a "comedy" piece taking the piss out of the upity black people who employed the deceased."

And our resident knuckle dragging MAGAt apologist eats it up and spits it out here because it's soooo funny to him and the rest of the clown car.

If you are going to be so sensitive that you need to whine and call me a resident knuckle dragging maggot apologist in a clown car, please just put me on ignore. Thanks.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

If you are going to be so sensitive that you need to whine and call me a resident knuckle dragging maggot apologist in a clown car, please just put me on ignore. Thanks.
If you can't stand the heat, don't post tasteless unfunny jokes.
oski003

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

If you and Iamnotangrybear89 are going to be a bunch of prissy Sallys and take any jokes about Obama as some sort of racist attack and therefore feel it is okay to devolve into childish insults, you got issues. Is iamnotangrybear89 your lame alter ego that gets to post all the stupid things you really want to say to defend your liberal sensitivities? It is cute that he has somebody to star his verbal attacks.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

If you and Iamnotangrybear89 are going to be a bunch of prissy Sallys and take any jokes about Obama as some sort of racist attack and therefore feel it is okay to devolve into childish insults, you got issues. Is iamnotangrybear89 your lame alter ego that gets to post all the stupid things you really want to say to defend your liberal sensitivities? It is cute that he has somebody to star his verbal attacks.
I never called it racist. I called it tasteless and unfunny. I didn't make any "childish insults" either. I will say this has apparently gotten your panties in a bunch, which is amusing. I await your angry and childish retort.
oski003

oski003 said:

oski003 said:

AunBear89 said:

dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

More Babylon Bee SPAM.

I never called it racist. I called it tasteless and unfunny. I didn't make any "childish insults" either. I will say this has apparently gotten your panties in a bunch, which is amusing. I await your angry and childish retort.

Scroll up to recall that you defended his angry, childish remarks. There is usually a scroll bar on the right. Thanks.
AunBear89
Who's sensitive, snowflake? Get over herself. Admit it: you aren't good at humor, and you really suck at nuanced thinking. You just post childish, tired, and insensitive jokes from a painfully unfunny conservative satire site.

And you brought racism in to the conversation, so it makes me wonder if maybe you wondered if it WAS a little racist but you decided "So what?" and pressed "Post" anyway.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Who's sensitive, snowflake? Get over herself. Admit it: you aren't good at humor, and you really suck at nuanced thinking. You just post childish, tired, and insensitive jokes from a painfully unfunny conservative satire site.

And you brought racism in to the conversation, so it makes me wonder if maybe you wondered if it WAS a little racist but you decided "So what?" and pressed "Post" anyway.

You used the phrase "upity black people" when you launched into one of your tirades. You absolutely brought racism into this conversation and are making a big deal out of a joke. You get extra IamNotAngryBear89 points for misspelling uppity, since one of your go to moves is to insult someone for spelling and grammar mistakes. You are sad and pathetic.
BearHunter

movielover
AunBear89
Confirmation bias in action.
dimitrig

I love the people who support Trump but think the GOP is part of the "uniparty."

Why?

Because when Trump is finally out of politics those people will go away and right now the GOP is counting on them for votes.

GOP will be DOA

Cal88
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

movielover
Typical.

NY Post: Head of NYC anti-violence program busted in massive upstate gun, drug sweep

https://nypost.com/2023/08/01/head-of-nyc-anti-violence-program-busted-in-massive-upstate-gun-drug-sweep/
movielover
First Page Last Page
Page 216 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.