Breaking News

979,870 Views | 11774 Replies | Last: 25 min ago by movielover
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover said:

Fox News: Republicans blast Biden for releasing $6 billion in frozen Iran funds ahead of Hamas attack on Israel

At least 100 people have been killed in the assault.

Joe Biden did that.^^^

A lot of the weapons sent to Ukraine have ended up in Africa, Mideast, Latin America, fueling conflicts, including in Gaza today.
AunBear89
Saying a wish out loud won't make it true.
BearHunter
movielover
Five Mideast peace deals.

MIC loves this.
BearHunter

Lets Go Brandon 17
BearHunter said:

Eastern Oregon Bear
Slava Palestini said:

BearHunter said:

He had to get this from an Iranian news source? Surely it must be available from a western news agency. Oh, well, if the Iranian/Hamas propaganda team is spoon feeding you talking points, I guess it's the easy way out.
BearHunter

Biden Spokesman John Kirby says the Biden administration currently has no plans to re-freeze the $6 billion Biden gifted to Iran.

BearHunter

Not all Palestinians are terrorists and not all BLM supporters are terrorists.
BearHunter

Never trust a grown man crying on camera unless a family member or friend has passed away. He's an admiral for crying out loud.
BearHunter

Never trust grown women crying on camera unless a family member or friend has passed away
okaydo
Big C
BearHunter said:

Never trust grown women crying on camera unless a family member or friend has passed away

It will be interesting to see who sides with who on this latest conflict. Talkin' 'bout both the left and the right, plus the media.
MinotStateBeav
REMEMBER LAST WEEK TRUMP TOLD AN AUSSIE BILLIONAIRE ABOUT OUR NUCLEAR SUB SECRETS!! YOU GOT HIM AGAIN!!!

These closing walls just won't stop closing in!!!!
movielover
bearister
Iconic North Beach restaurant to close after drop in tourism

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realestate/article/s-f-north-beach-restaurant-closing-18406736.php
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Iconic North Beach restaurant to close after drop in tourism

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realestate/article/s-f-north-beach-restaurant-closing-18406736.php

Tony's Slice House a couple doors down is still doing well. My wife and I have a $6/7 large slice of pizza two nights per week. Cheap, filling dinner. Thank God we walk 5 miles to get there.
MinotStateBeav
When you get so beaten down by the internet you should quit at this point.
Just exclude food, shelter, fuel and cars!!!! WE WON!!!

82gradDLSdad
Food, energy and shelter are by far the things my family spend the most on. I've heard the reason why they exclude it. I'd love if they were excluded from the things my family has to pay for. I would declare victory too if we didn't have to pay for them.
Unit2Sucks
MinotStateBeav said:

A lot of my friends buy 5 or 6 used cars per week, so inflation was a real issue for them in 2022 but it's improved greatly this year. Said no one ever.

Fuel, food and shelter are reasonable to separate because they move up and down for reasons that aren't connected to the core inflation problem we were facing. Core inflation (ex food and energy) has long been seen as a better measure of inflation. Shelter is a weird lagging indicator that will continue to show elevated inflation for months after prices stabilize due to the way it is calculated. Used cars is a weird one - they went way up in price and are now way down (8% yoy) so it's not like he did that to help the numbers.

This article has a pretty good detailed chart of where we are. Couple of points - food at home is up only 2.4% year over year, but food away from home is up 6%. Energy is down 0.5% year over year, while gas is up 3%.

I know people think that the president controls gas prices, but that's never been the way the world works. The US is at an all time high in energy production and by measures I've seen we are more "independent" than ever (eg we produce more than we use by the highest amount since people started counting this stuff in like 1950).

The problem is that the GOP was always lying to you about energy independence. It's close to meaningless. Gas prices are set by OPEC+ and regardless of how much oil we pull out of the ground in the US, Chevron/etc. are going to sell at the market price. So they are making a killing again and we're paying for it at the pump, even though we are extracting more American oil than ever before.

If you were interested in a nuanced conversation, we could look at how shelter is calculated and why it will make it seem like inflation is elevated for months after it stops. That influence is expected to wane over the next few months not because housing will become cheaper but because of the way it is calculated.

If you just wanted to post a tweet showing that inflation has come down, that's cool too.

dajo9
Furthermore, if you own your home and haven't moved, your shelter cost inflation is a fraction of what is reported in CPI. There are lots of reasons why economists exclude things. The more you adjust the more people criticize. CPI ex Shelter is 2.0%. That's basically the year-over-year inflation experienced by homeowners.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

A lot of my friends buy 5 or 6 used cars per week, so inflation was a real issue for them in 2022 but it's improved greatly this year. Said no one ever.

Fuel, food and shelter are reasonable to separate because they move up and down for reasons that aren't connected to the core inflation problem we were facing. Core inflation (ex food and energy) has long been seen as a better measure of inflation. Shelter is a weird lagging indicator that will continue to show elevated inflation for months after prices stabilize due to the way it is calculated. Used cars is a weird one - they went way up in price and are now way down (8% yoy) so it's not like he did that to help the numbers.

This article has a pretty good detailed chart of where we are. Couple of points - food at home is up only 2.4% year over year, but food away from home is up 6%. Energy is down 0.5% year over year, while gas is up 3%.

I know people think that the president controls gas prices, but that's never been the way the world works. The US is at an all time high in energy production and by measures I've seen we are more "independent" than ever (eg we produce more than we use by the highest amount since people started counting this stuff in like 1950).

The problem is that the GOP was always lying to you about energy independence. It's close to meaningless. Gas prices are set by OPEC+ and regardless of how much oil we pull out of the ground in the US, Chevron/etc. are going to sell at the market price. So they are making a killing again and we're paying for it at the pump, even though we are extracting more American oil than ever before.

If you were interested in a nuanced conversation, we could look at how shelter is calculated and why it will make it seem like inflation is elevated for months after it stops. That influence is expected to wane over the next few months not because housing will become cheaper but because of the way it is calculated.

If you just wanted to post a tweet showing that inflation has come down, that's cool too.

Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Hmmm… Somebody presenting facts and figures vs somebody responding with memes and ridicule. It's just me, but I see who's winning the discussion here.
MinotStateBeav
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Hmmm… Somebody presenting facts and figures vs somebody responding with memes and ridicule. It's just me, but I see who's winning the discussion here.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

I don't even know what that is supposed to mean. As long as it makes you happy…
Unit2Sucks

MinotStateBeav said:

Unit2Sucks said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Pretty obviously never intended to have a discussion. He declared victory by assumption without any argument. He thinks he knows the answer (he was told by his right wing bubble that Krugman is wrong) but doesn't know the question.

I am not surprised he doesn't want to try to defend his original drive by.

The sentiment by Krugman is correct. Inflation is coming down, unemployment remains low, economy has so far seen a soft landing. That could all change but thus far we have had about as good an exit from high inflation as anyone could have expected. Credit to the Fed and the Biden administration. Obviously good luck played a part but the only reason it isn't being celebrated is because the GOP has always cheerleader against America when Dems are in control and the media plays along with their nonsense.

If the GOP was in the White House, Powell would be gone and some idiot would be running the fed based solely on interest rate desires of the wealthy. Inflation would be out of control and they would argue for reduced taxes and reduced spending. It would be an economic disaster and they would blame the lockdowns or rainbows or Taylor Swift to distract from their self-dealing.
MinotStateBeav
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

I see a crudely drawn graph that appears to plot "Women Yelling" from 2013 to about 2024 or 2025. The number of "Women Yelling" isn't revealed on the graph. Minot has provided no comment on why we should watch this video.

Yeah, I'm going to click on that video.
concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Unit2Sucks said:

SFCityBear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

No one has mentioned this, but aren't all 3 candidates currently house members? The GOP minority is extremely slim and appointing one of them would have left a vacant house seat for the remainder of the term.

I don't think Butler is nearly as unqualified as people are making her out to be. She led a large labor union (almost 400k members, California's largest) for more than a decade and was a public policy director for Airbnb. She's apparently a prolific fundraiser and has been running an influential PAC the last few years. I'm guessing that Newsom thought that she would be a more valuable ally to him than any of the other candidates and I don't think he's wrong. It's also a sign of respect for Kamala Harris and maybe was an olive branch to her.

She has strong roots in California, so the fact that she most recently was living out of state isn't really a big deal.

I am not surprised at the number of disingenuous conservatives attacking her for being black and queer. They vote and support far less qualified people. I suppose just because they are white men. When white men are elected or appointed with no qualifications, the deplorable are silent and never say "he was just elected because he isn't black, queer or female." Gavin had plenty of qualified black women to choose from and it wasn't hard for him to find one better suited to be our senator than any number of dreadful white men currently serving in the senate.

What qualified RFK Jr. to be president? Or Trump? Or Andrew Yang?
What qualified Kelly Loeffler to be a senator when she was appointed? Or as pointed out before, Tuberville or Herschel?

Qualifications never matter to conservative darlings.

Not everyone will be as well qualified as Feinstein or Kamala Harris. Schiff and Barbara Lee are both well qualified, but I would consider Butler to be better qualified to be California's senator than Katie Porter. Porter has very little history of public service (just her second term as a rep) and as far as I can tell she doesn't have much history or connection to California.

I admit I am not as adept at searching the internet as most of you here, but I searched high and low to find any conservatives, disingenuous or otherwise, who "attacked her for being black and queer. Please help me out here and give us some names. And they should be conservatives, not just Republicans, because as you very well know, not all conservatives are Republicans, and vice versa, not all Republicans are conservatives. We should not conflate the two, IMO.

As to qualifications, and who is qualified and who is not, politicians are chosen to run or be appointed to office by their qualifications, their past history in preparing for a job at the next level, but they also can be chosen for their loyalty to party higher-ups and cast their votes in step (sometimes in lock-step) with those who are choosing or appointing them. Sometimes they are chosen for their value in attracting prospective voters, and prospective donors.

As to the first qualification, one's work experience and life experience preparing them for the next level, what makes you believe that those qualifications would be a predictor of success in their position at a higher level? There are many examples of highly qualified politicians who failed badly after they won an election to a higher level. Herbert Hoover comes to mind. Lyndon Johnson. How about Joe Biden? Who could have been better qualified for the job he now has? 50 years in politics, rising to be named vice-president and working 8 years in that job. As President, blunder after blunder, plunging the country into inflation, caving in to China and Iran, horrible exit from Afghanistan, selling off strategic oil reserves at a low price, letting a spy balloon from China hover over sensitive military installations, with nothing more than a wave at it?

How about his highly qualified cabinet? Many are highly qualified. Austin had a fine military record, and he's in charge of the Afghanistan debacle. Harris had a good career in law and as a senator, and she completely fumbles her main responsibility, keep the border secure. Blinken seemed to check all the boxes with his work history, and what has he done? We are less respected in the Middle East, and in China. Mayorkas was eminently qualified to be the Border Czar, and all he has done is mess it up, and lie constantly that the border is secure. Secure from armadillos maybe. Garland? He is highly qualified, but he is also an example of a yes man. That is not a qualification for office, it is a qualification for doing what his party or his President wishes. He will do as he is told, meaning stifle or at least slow-walk, all investigations of the Biden family, and come up with enough charges and lawsuits, and enough partisan judges, to keep the most popular Republican off the presidential ballot in 2024. His performance in front of Congressional Committee did not impress me. He was so tentative, so nervous, I wonder how he got his job in the first place.

On the other hand there have been a number people with seemingly unimpressive or even no qualifications for office, who have been successful after they won their election. Abe Lincoln comes to mind. Harry Truman had even less qualification for President. I would say say that Barack Obama did not appear to have the qualifications to be President, but I should think that you would say he was a successful President, wouldn't you?

There is a lot to agree with here. As for which "conservatives" have attacked Butler - you have me there because there is no accepted definition of conservative that we would all agree on. We have sort of a no true scotsman situation. I could point to many pundits who have said that Butler was only selected because she is a black, queer woman. Like does Ben Shapiro count as a conservative for you? I genuinely don't know.

As for everything else you've said, I think you are right on the money. Qualifications aren't the be all end all and they are highly variable. Butler may be considered extremely well qualified across some dimensions (fundraising, let's say) and less so across others (legislative experience).

We may disagree on how well certain people you've mentioned above have done at their jobs, but I think that's more about our own perceptions and biases. Categorically I agree with your logic.

I am not a conservative but Butler was only selected because she is a black woman. I don't know if queer played into it at all, but I suspect it was considered a twofer.

Maybe among the pool of queer black women she was the best choice. I don't know. That is why she was selected, though. Newsom was dumb enough to say so:

"The governor's surprise statement came as Reid asked Newsom if he would commit to naming a Black woman to the Senate if Feinstein steps down and whether he has thought of particular replacements.

Newsom told Reid, "I have multiple names in mind. We have multiple names in mind and the answer is yes."

Newsom should have just said he would choose a well-qualified candidate regardless of race but he let us see his thought process.

Link:
https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/03/15/newsom-commits-to-nominating-black-woman-to-fill-feinsteins-seat-should-she-retire-1368354

False. Unless you are claiming that Butler was the only black woman eligible to be selected, that was not why she was selected.

Newsom enumerated two of the criteria he was looking for but that doesn't mean that they were the only criteria, that they were sufficient or that they were hard to find. There were plenty of exceptional black women for him to choose from.

Trump very explicitly chose white men who looked like they came from "central casting." He chose J Powell over Janet Yellen because she was a short woman, not a distinguished looking white dude. Where was the outrage then? Powell was far from the only person Trump chose on that basis.

So, you're saying, if I understand you correctly, that Donald Trump is a sorry sack of sh*t?

I agree wholeheartedly!!
MinotStateBeav
Review of Trumps Motion to Dismiss J6 Indictment
MinotStateBeav

MinotStateBeav said:

I see a crudely drawn graph that appears to plot "Women Yelling" from 2013 to about 2024 or 2025. The number of "Women Yelling" isn't revealed on the graph. Minot has provided no comment on why we should watch this video.

Yeah, I'm going to click on that video.
Stop yelling at me.
bearister
Social media users comment on footage of 'hench' kangaroo drowning dog

https://mol.im/a/12635687
bearister
55 years ago today:

bearister
"34 years ago today, a 6.9 magnitude earthquake hit the San Francisco Bay Area before Game 3 of the World Series between the Giants and A's. The disaster claimed 63 lives, Jeff writes.

The aftermath: Candlestick Park shook, while bridges and roads in the area collapsed. The World Series may have ultimately saved lives, with so many people at the ballpark or in front of their TVs rather than on the road during rush hour (the quake hit at 5:04pm on a Tuesday)."

YahooSports AM

*I took these photos either the day after or two days after the quake. The firm had a client that owned a truck and shipping container yard across the street from the Cypress Structure. Photo journalists from around the world were climbing all over the stacked containers to take photos. We prepared a Release of Liability for them to sign before getting on the containers.

dimitrig
bearister said:

"34 years ago today, a 6.9 magnitude earthquake hit the San Francisco Bay Area before Game 3 of the World Series between the Giants and A's. The disaster claimed 63 lives, Jeff writes.

The aftermath: Candlestick Park shook, while bridges and roads in the area collapsed. The World Series may have ultimately saved lives, with so many people at the ballpark or in front of their TVs rather than on the road during rush hour (the quake hit at 5:04pm on a Tuesday)."

YahooSports AM

*I took these photos either the day after or two days after the quake. The firm had a client that owned a truck and shipping container yard across the street from the Cypress Structure. Photo journalists from around the world were climbing all over the stacked containers to take photos. We prepared a Release of Liability for them to sign before getting on the containers.

My sister was at that game but I had not moved to the Bay Area yet. Hard to believe that "only" a 6.9 caused that much damage.

First Page Last Page
Page 238 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.