Breaking News

979,697 Views | 11772 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by movielover
MinotStateBeav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A friends dad was killed there...was one of the scariest days in my life because I was hoping my own dad wasn't over one of those bridges at the time. I think he decided to come over the Benicia bridge that day because of the world series. He worked in San Jose.

edit: I should add he was ON the Benecia Bridge at the time and the bridge swayed, and he didn't realize what was going on at first what it was. Then when he did kinda catch on..he's like..welp I'm not going anywhere, my family knows I love them. So yeah...he was very lucky.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

A friends dad was killed there...was one of the scariest days in my life because I was hoping my own dad wasn't over one of those bridges at the time. I think he decided to come over the Benicia bridge that day because of the world series. He worked in San Jose.
The earthquake was a difficult time for my family. My mother had brain tumor and was nearly comatose when the earthquake hit. She died not long afterward.

My youngest sister was commuting from Oakland to San Mateo each day. Because she got off work early due to the World Series, she crossed the Bay Bridge and drove the Cypress Structure during the hour before the earthquake. She was taking a coworker to Berkeley, so that's why she took the Cypress Structure. If she had gotten off work at her normal time, she could have ended up as a statistic. At the time, we had power and the TV coverage had us very worried until she arrived home. As an aside, she was driving a fairly new Isuzu at the time. She later sold it to me and I drove it until about 2005. I got a fair amount of conversation mileage out of that car's history.
MinotStateBeav
When I tell this story its generally kinda funny but scary. I was on the toilet when the earthquake struck in Richmond,CA. My only thought was...you gotta be effing kidding me...like this? Luckily our house was fine, I only remember we got some cracks on the patio pavement is all.
AunBear89
I lived on Lake Merrit, worked on the 18th floor of a nearby high rise. But I flew out of Oakland that morning to go look at grad schools back east. Was in a holding pattern over Boston when pilot announced game had been delayed because of major quake.

My friend at airport had no clue as she had been at airport for a while waiting for my late flight. So I stopped at first bar in concourse and watched tv coverage.

When I saw collapsed Cypress Structure (did anyone know that was its name the day before the quake? It was the "double decker section of 880" as far as I was concerned) I figured the death count would be huge given it was rush hour. Didn't count on rush hour being lighter than normal because everyone got home early to watch the game.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearister
I took this photo of our file room. We were on the 17th floor of the Lake Merritt Plaza Building.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
KPG
It was one of my first memories as a kid. I was riding my bike with training wheels around my court in Oakley, and I just remember watching the street lights and power poles away and being very confused.

I saw the car teetering on the collapsed bridge span on the news and had nightmares about driving across bridges for years after and anxiety each time we crossed a bridge until I was at least 10.
AunBear89
That's right. I was a docket clerk at Hardin Cook in the asbestos defense practice. I probably would have been on the elevator on my commute home. I lived at 19th and Jackson.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
82gradDLSdad
I was working in a fairly new, large but only 4 story PacBell building in San Ramon. It was built to move in an earthquake. It did. It felt like I was on a carnival ride. A woman coworker was in my cubicle and we dove under my desk so that we would be crushed by it and not the ceiling if the building fell.
MinotStateBeav

This just encourages congress to stay shut down imho. I'd just halt all votes for speaker till next year lol.
tequila4kapp
Biden in Israel … my God he is frail and slow. He needed note cards to read just to say it wasn't Israel.

Be on whichever side you are on (D, R or other) but this is not normal or good.
bearister
"49 years ago today, Nate Thurmond recorded the NBA's first quadruple-double in the Bulls' 120-115 win over the Hawks.

The rarest of feats: Thurmond's monster game (22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks) was one of just four quadruple-doubles in NBA history, with Alvin Robertson, Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson later joining him."
-Yahoo Sports AM
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

This just encourages congress to stay shut down imho. I'd just halt all votes for speaker till next year lol.

You don't support any of that?
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
bearister
First earthquake warning I have ever gotten on my cell. A 4.4 32 miles away at Bethel Island. One day after Loma Prieta anniversary.
MinotStateBeav
dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Nope I want single subject bills. Biden wants these continuing resolutions so they can stuff as much garbage in it as possible. War funding needs to stop.
Eastern Oregon Bear
MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Nope I want single subject bills. Biden wants these continuing resolutions so they can stuff as much garbage in it as possible. War funding needs to stop.
Highly impractical and the surest way to keep Congress from getting anything done. I can imagine the chaos if they voted on each of the many thousands of items in the budget separately. Each time, a small handful of congress critters could hold up an item for the flimsiest of reasons. See Senator Tuberville and military promotions. Plus, they would be hard pressed to get through all the budget items before the year was over and it would all reset back to A. Everything else would get little if any attention because of the all important votes on stuff like Kleenex and thumbtack procurement.
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Highly impractical and the surest way to keep Congress from getting anything done. I can imagine the chaos if they voted on each of the many thousands of items in the budget separately. Each time, a small handful of congress critters could hold up an item for the flimsiest of reasons. See Senator Tuberville and military promotions. Plus, they would be hard pressed to get through all the budget items before the year was over and it would all reset back to A. Everything else would get little if any attention because of the all important votes on stuff like Kleenex and thumbtack procurement.

He said single subject bills, not single item bills.
MinotStateBeav
oski003 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

He said single subject bills, not single item bills.
yeah i don't think he gets what we're talking about lol. Single Subject means like "State Department, Military" funding bills are a conglomerate of THAT SPENDING. They aren't itemized votes. But people in the house discuss what they want IN that bill. You know..so we can MODERATE spending. There are like a total of 12 bills that get voted on with 3 of the bills taking up like 75% of the spending. Then those bills go to the Senate to get voted on. Then the president signs them. This means BOTH sides of the house get a say on the spending.
Lets Go Brandon 17

MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Your stupidity continues to astound
Big C
82gradDLSdad said:

I was working in a fairly new, large but only 4 story PacBell building in San Ramon. It was built to move in an earthquake. It did. It felt like I was on a carnival ride. A woman coworker was in my cubicle and we dove under my desk so that we would be crushed by it and not the ceiling if the building fell.

. . . and that was how you met your wife!

Um, right?
82gradDLSdad
Big C said:

82gradDLSdad said:

. . . and that was how you met your wife!

Um, right?

Things could have been worse. Not my wife.
SFCityBear
82gradDLSdad said:

My dad was an Architect in San Francisco for over 50 years. Structural Engineers told him on a few occasions that the safest place in an office building during an earthquake is close to the elevator shafts, because that is usually the strongest part of a building's structure.
SFCityBear
82gradDLSdad
SFCityBear said:

82gradDLSdad said:

My dad was an Architect in San Francisco for over 50 years. Structural Engineers told him on a few occasions that the safest place in an office building during an earthquake is close to the elevator shafts, because that is usually the strongest part of a building's structure.

I was amazed that there was no damage to the Bishop Ranch PacBell building given how much it moved. I wish I would have spoken to my dad about it. He was a federal (FHA/HUD) inspector and also knew all about that stuff.
movielover
History Legends sees the IDF entering Gaza as a brutal prospect.

MinotStateBeav

Vivek's solution for the situation seems pretty reasonable and achievable.
MinotStateBeav
MinotStateBeav said:

Increase funding now...for what? You can't hire enough cops because nobody wants to work as a cop in those cities now. These cops aren't dumb, they see they'll be hung out to dry if a dude dies of a drug OD while being placed under arrest. It'll cause a riot, they get hung out to dry and tried for murder. Even doing exactly as they were trained. They'll be George Floyded.

Called it.

In fact we all called it and we were called racists for reading the ME's report when it first came out and it contradicted the narrative. Chauvin did exactly as he was TRAINED to do. But saying that made you racist and people on this site uncritically repeated that like a bunch of zombies. Chauvin should be immediately out of prison along with all those other guys sent to LONG sentences and they should be paid so much money that they can offer Elon Musk to buy twitter. They were sacrificed as the democrats tool to win elections and change our society. Dems encouraged and egged on the mob to burn cities down.

dimitrig
MinotStateBeav said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Increase funding now...for what? You can't hire enough cops because nobody wants to work as a cop in those cities now. These cops aren't dumb, they see they'll be hung out to dry if a dude dies of a drug OD while being placed under arrest. It'll cause a riot, they get hung out to dry and tried for murder. Even doing exactly as they were trained. They'll be George Floyded.

Called it.

In fact we all called it and we were called racists for reading the ME's report when it first came out and it contradicted the narrative. Chauvin did exactly as he was TRAINED to do. But saying that made you racist and people on this site uncritically repeated that like a bunch of zombies. Chauvin should be immediately out of prison along with all those other guys sent to LONG sentences and they should be paid so much money that they can offer Elon Musk to buy twitter. They were sacrificed as the democrats tool to win elections and change our society. Dems encouraged and egged on the mob to burn cities down.

"You Literally Can't Believe The Facts Tucker Carlson Tells You. So Say Fox's Lawyers"

The "'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that [Carlson] is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary.' "

"Fox persuasively argues, that given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrives with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statement he makes."

Link:
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/917747123/you-literally-cant-believe-the-facts-tucker-carlson-tells-you-so-say-fox-s-lawye
concordtom
dimitrig said:

My sister was at that game but I had not moved to the Bay Area yet. Hard to believe that "only" a 6.9 caused that much damage.

What's truly heart wrenching is to know that one day there will be a 9 that completely devastates the bay.
Unit2Sucks
Chauvin should be in prison for voting fraud since he lived in Minnesota but voted in Florida. According to Republicans, voter fraud is a serious problem that should be strictly prosecuted. He and his wife were also tax frauds who avoided Minnesota taxes by pretending to be Florida residents while pretending to be a law abiding police officer in Minnesota.

How can GOPers support a immoral felon like Chauvin? Oh right, because he killed a black guy he's a hero to them who can commit any crime he wants. The fact that he's a tax fraud is just a bonus for them.

Jail is exactly where criminals like him belong although when his sentence is eventually cut short he will probably end up being a cop in Florida like all the other bad cops who get fired for brutality.
oski003
Unit2Sucks said:

Chauvin should be in prison for voting fraud since he lived in Minnesota but voted in Florida. According to Republicans, voter fraud is a serious problem that should be strictly prosecuted. He and his wife were also tax frauds who avoided Minnesota taxes by pretending to be Florida residents while pretending to be a law abiding police officer in Minnesota.

How can GOPers support a immoral felon like Chauvin? Oh right, because he killed a black guy he's a hero to them who can commit any crime he wants. The fact that he's a tax fraud is just a bonus for them.

Jail is exactly where criminals like him belong although when his sentence is eventually cut short he will probably end up being a cop in Florida like all the other bad cops who get fired for brutality.

If he committed voter fraud, he should be prosecuted for it. Chauvin is no hero. Floyd is no hero.
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

Biden in Israel … my God he is frail and slow. He needed note cards to read just to say it wasn't Israel.

Be on whichever side you are on (D, R or other) but this is not normal or good.

If the justice system had only been able to throw Trump away long time ago Biden could have retired as the transitional president he deemed himself as.

As is, the transition is still ongoing, so he figured he needed to stick around to defeat him again.

At least that's the theory.

Once Trump is gone, everything will return back to normal, right?

concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

My Texas cousin has also come to lean toward anarchy. That's what you do when you are out of ideas.
concordtom
bearister said:

"49 years ago today, Nate Thurmond recorded the NBA's first quadruple-double in the Bulls' 120-115 win over the Hawks.

The rarest of feats: Thurmond's monster game (22 points, 14 rebounds, 13 assists, 12 blocks) was one of just four quadruple-doubles in NBA history, with Alvin Robertson, Hakeem Olajuwon and David Robinson later joining him."
-Yahoo Sports AM

Wemby can get the points, boards, blocks. Can he get the assists?

It'll happen one day!
concordtom
MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Since you blocked me, I'll respond to the questioner:

He believes every man for himself produces good results.

Unfortunately, history proves him wrong.
MinotStateBeav
Unit2Sucks said:

Fentanyl Floyd died from an OD. Deal with it.
concordtom
Slava Palestini said:

MinotStateBeav said:

dajo9 said:

MinotStateBeav said:

Your stupidity continues to astound

Yours is deadly.
First Page Last Page
Page 239 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.