Breaking News

979,296 Views | 11767 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by movielover
dajo9
How long do you want to ignore this user?
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

But if Trump was such a great politician and leader, how did he get stymied by all of this? He also had a trifecta to start his term. What did he accomplish with that besides tax cuts?

Some would argue the tax cuts was not an accomplishment, but a special interest move for the rich.

Trump supporters will claim that the $90 (average tax refund increase) they received is $90 more than the Democrats would give them of THEIR MONEY back.

It's not the $90 per voter.
It's the $90,000+ for the few very rich people.

MAGA should look at tax rates in what they think was their golden age.

The 2023 tax yearmeaning the return you'll file in 2024will have the same seven federal income tax brackets as the 2022-2023 season: 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, 32%, 35% and 37%.
Under Eisenhower, it was 90%. That's too extreme for me, but you get the point.

Add in sales tax, payroll tax, use taxes (bridges) and our tax structure is FLAT.

Flat tax is a path toward wider income inequality,

which leads to social unrest.

You think the only thing they are fighting about is who gets to call Jerusalem theirs? No. The income disparities are immense. And that breeds jealousies. We see it in this country, too.

Now, I'm sure WifeIsAFurd will educate me once again how I'm wrong. I welcome his response.

Note:
In 1987,88,89, the lowest tax bracket paid 15%, while the highest paid just 28%. Wow.

This chart taken as a whole, we are still operating under the Reagan tax structure hegemony.
And thank God we are.
Yeah, trillions in debt is fine because Saint Ronnie said so.
See, especially, the 1st 3 columns. Revenue and spending have increased annually forever, almost without exception. Spending has increased at a much faster rate. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/hist01z1_fy2024.xlsx

(Side note, we've been running deficits since Clinton - the only President in the last 50 years to run a surplus and the only one to do it more than once since Eisenhower).

This is really a bad way to analyze data, hiding behind economic growth and inflation to obscure the real problem. After World War 2, debt as percent of GDP was 119%. Responsible economic policy during this economically liberal era from Truman to Carter, brought it down to a bottom of 31% in 1981 when Ronald Reagan changed the entire tax structure of the country. We still have that structure, having quibbled around the margins since then. Debt as percent of GDP is currently at 120%, with the highest amount ever being 126% in 2020.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
movielover
Tip O'Neil promised Reagan he would cut spending (i.e., reduce the rate of growth); he didn't.

Now we have a flip, where neocons have infected the Democrat Party.
dajo9
movielover said:

Tip O'Neil promised Reagan he would cut spending (i.e., reduce the rate of growth); he didn't.

Please tell us more about how conservative Presidents are too weak to achieve their goals.

Wasn't Reagan the President who told us about personal accountability?
concordtom
oski003 said:

There is a common misconception that high-income Americans are not paying much in taxes compared to what they used to. Proponents of this view often point to the 1950s, when the top federal income tax rate was 91 percent for most of the decade.[1] However, despite these high marginal rates, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in the 1950s only paid about 42 percent of their income in taxes. As a result, the tax burden on high-income households today is only slightly lower than what these households faced in the 1950s.

The data shows that, between 1950 and 1959, the top 1 percent of taxpayers paid an average of 42.0 percent of their income in federal, state, and local taxes. Since then, the average effective tax rate of the top 1 percent has declined slightly overall.

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/federal/taxes-on-the-rich-1950s-not-high/#:~:text=Proponents%20of%20this%20view%20often,of%20their%20income%20in%20taxes.

Effective tax rate (all forms of taxation) is said to be 5.6% different today than in the 50's for the top 1%, per your link.

How much aggregate revenue to the aiRS would that be annually?

What is the multi-decade long impact on total national debt levels?

What is the impact on wealth disparity gaps existing in US today?

What might be the impact on entrepreneurship fleeing elsewhere or otherwise stifling new innovation?
movielover
dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Please tell us more about how conservative Presidents are too weak to achieve their goals.

Wasn't Reagan the President who told us about personal accountability?

President Trump:

- 5 Mideast Peace deals
- NATO strengthened
- Iran - #1 sponsor of terrorism - boxed in
- border secured

President Biden-Obama:

- Afghanistan historic debacle
- proxy war w Russia (losing)
- NATO gutted
- Israel / Gaza war
- Iran funded with tens of Billions, more appeasement from Biden-Obama
- talk of WWIII
- 8 Million new illegal immigrants, and terror cells set up in Mexico
concordtom
movielover said:

Did congress override Reagan's veto?
Or did Reagan sign spending levels into law?

You're an unreliable source.
All 8 of you.
dajo9
concordtom said:

oski003 said:

There is a common misconception that high-income Americans are not paying much in taxes compared to what they used to. Proponents of this view often point to the 1950s, when the top federal income tax rate was 91 percent for most of the decade.[1] However, despite these high marginal rates, the top 1 percent of taxpayers in the 1950s only paid about 42 percent of their income in taxes. As a result, the tax burden on high-income households today is only slightly lower than what these households faced in the 1950s.

The data shows that, between 1950 and 1959, the top 1 percent of taxpayers paid an average of 42.0 percent of their income in federal, state, and local taxes. Since then, the average effective tax rate of the top 1 percent has declined slightly overall.

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/federal/taxes-on-the-rich-1950s-not-high/#:~:text=Proponents%20of%20this%20view%20often,of%20their%20income%20in%20taxes.

Effective tax rate (all forms of taxation) is said to be 5.6% different today than in the 50's for the top 1%, per your link.

What might be the impact on entrepreneurship fleeing elsewhere or otherwise stifling new innovation?

Also, the meaning of the top 1% is completely different then from now. The 1% didn't make nearly as much then. It's apples and oranges.
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

But if Trump was such a great politician and leader, how did he get stymied by all of this? He also had a trifecta to start his term. What did he accomplish with that besides tax cuts?

Some would argue the tax cuts was not an accomplishment, but a special interest move for the rich.

Trump supporters will claim that the $90 (average tax refund increase) they received is $90 more than the Democrats would give them of THEIR MONEY back.

The 2023 tax yearmeaning the return you'll file in 2024will have the same seven federal income tax brackets as the 2022-2023 season: 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, 32%, 35% and 37%.

Add in sales tax, payroll tax, use taxes (bridges) and our tax structure is FLAT.

You think the only thing they are fighting about is who gets to call Jerusalem theirs? No. The income disparities are immense. And that breeds jealousies. We see it in this country, too.

Now, I'm sure WifeIsAFurd will educate me once again how I'm wrong. I welcome his response.

Note:
In 1987,88,89, the lowest tax bracket paid 15%, while the highest paid just 28%. Wow.

This chart taken as a whole, we are still operating under the Reagan tax structure hegemony.
And thank God we are.
See, especially, the 1st 3 columns. Revenue and spending have increased annually forever, almost without exception. Spending has increased at a much faster rate. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

(Side note, we've been running deficits since Clinton - the only President in the last 50 years to run a surplus and the only one to do it more than once since Eisenhower).

Reagan tripled the national debt.

"The fiscal shift in the Reagan years was staggering. In January 1981, when Reagan declared the federal budget to be "out of control," the deficit had reached almost $74 billion, the federal debt $930 billion. Within two years, the deficit was $208 billion. The debt by 1988 totaled $2.6 trillion. In those eight years, the United States moved from being the world's largest international creditor to the largest debtor nation."

Link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26402-2004Jun8.html
Did you open the link I provided and read it? It's from the White House OMB.
Yes, deficits increased under Reagan.
Spending and revenues nearly doubled.
The ratio of deficit to revenues stayed reasonably stable.
Spending problem, not a problem with the rich not paying their fair share.

Notice later years when budget deficit ratios relative to revenues went absolutely bonkers.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Note:

And thank God we are.

"The fiscal shift in the Reagan years was staggering. In January 1981, when Reagan declared the federal budget to be "out of control," the deficit had reached almost $74 billion, the federal debt $930 billion. Within two years, the deficit was $208 billion. The debt by 1988 totaled $2.6 trillion. In those eight years, the United States moved from being the world's largest international creditor to the largest debtor nation."

Link:

Notice later years when budget deficit ratios relative to revenues went absolutely bonkers.

The ratio of deficit to revenue was not stable and wouldn't expect to be stable. It is highly dependent on the economic cycle. In 1981 it was 13%. Two years later, in 1983 it was 34%. During the good growth year of 1988 it was down to 17% but still higher than any Carter year. During that time debt to GDP went up from 31% to 49%.
dajo9
You have to be willingly blind to pursue tequila4kapp's reasoning
https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GFDGDPA188S
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

oski003 said:

Also, the meaning of the top 1% is completely different then from now. The 1% didn't make nearly as much then. It's apples and oranges.

So, that extra tax would be a lot more today. Because we're talking billions instead of millions.
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Note:

And thank God we are.

Link:

We definitely have a spending problem.
No arguments there.

Maybe if we reversed dark money and Citizens v United we'd not have so many institutionalized (bought) lawmakers and more idealistic Mr. Smith's who go to Washington to serve the people instead of their monied masters.
dajo9
concordtom said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Note:

And thank God we are.

Link:

No arguments there.

Maybe if we reversed dark money and Citizens v United we'd not have so many institutionalized (bought) lawmakers and more idealistic Mr. Smith's who go to Washington to serve the people instead of their monied masters.

Sure we can cut spending but we have a low tax and spending problem. Not just a spending problem. I bet I'm willing to list more specific spending cuts than tequila4kapp anyway. They are always just talk.
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Note:

And thank God we are.

Link:

No arguments there.

Sure we can cut spending but we have a low tax and spending problem. Not just a spending problem. I bet I'm willing to list more specific spending cuts than tequila4kapp anyway. They are always just talk.

The deficit is almost $2T per year which is roughly the total amount of discretionary spending which includes just about everything the government spends money on except Social Security and Medicare. There is some spending on other things like student loans and SNAP.

So we need to cut spending, including on the military, but also increase tax revenues. Republicans are against both of these. Their plan is to cut Medicare and Social Security.

When you are in the voting booth consider what future you want for America.
movielover
Last I read the yearly deficit is $2.2 Trillion.

More scare tactics. Yes, cut the Military Industrial Complex. Stop funding our proxy war in Russia, now, and sign a peace deal. And why do we have 44 4 star Generals and Admirals? Retire 34 or more.

Cut the Green slush funds, and "infrastructure" not infrastructure, spending. Cut the Green graft, subsidizing solar panels and related do-gooder programs. Stop paying student loans for college students, debts they willing took. It's a regressive tax time have low income people pay for college degrees.

Cut the Federal workforce by 10%. Put non violent prisoners to work cleaning freeways and thinning forests.

Finish the Wall, and close the border; the average illegal immigrant costs us $400,000. Stop handing new illegal immigrants $2200 when they cross the border. Stop sending $$ to other countries to push flakey Liberal agendas. Don't build a new headquarters for the crooked FBI.

Harvest some trees in our overgrown Federal forests, and generate some revenues. Win win. Consider selling off some Federal lands and repay debt, and allow pipelines to open to spur safer economic activity.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

concordtom said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

concordtom said:

dimitrig said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Note:

And thank God we are.

Link:

No arguments there.

If we balanced our budget, it would throw us into recession.
China knows this. They fund our addiction in exchange for future credits. Economic leverage.

It's not going to end well, and no lawmaker (no majority) has the balls to do it. Shirt term gain for long term pain.
America on descent.
concordtom
movielover said:

Last I read the yearly deficit is $2.2 Trillion.

More scare tactics. Yes, cut the Military Industrial Complex. Stop funding our proxy war in Russia, now, and sign a peace deal. And why do we have 44 4 star Generals and Admirals? Retire 34 or more.

Cut the Green slush funds, and "infrastructure" not infrastructure, spending. Cut the Green graft, subsidizing solar panels and related do-gooder programs. Stop paying student loans for college students, debts they willing took. It's a regressive tax time have low income people pay for college degrees.

Cut the Federal workforce by 10%. Put non violent prisoners to work cleaning freeways and thinning forests.

Finish the Wall, and close the border; the average illegal immigrant costs us $400,000. Stop handing new illegal immigrants $2200 when they cross the border. Stop sending $$ to other countries to push flakey Liberal agendas. Don't build a new headquarters for the crooked FBI.

Harvest some trees in our overgrown Federal forests, and generate some revenues. Win win. Consider selling off some Federal lands and repay debt, and allow pipelines to open to spur safer economic activity.

I believe your figure is way off and your proposals are way extreme. As usual!

2022, per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_United_States_federal_budget

dajo9
He's giving you Trump deficits. Not the lower Biden deficits which can't exist in his brain.
concordtom
That's embarrassing for him.

Still, shameful that Biden is running a deficit of over $1B.
Totally unacceptable!

Okay, it's worse than I thought.
NY Times just ran this story:

Quote:

The Federal Deficit Is Growing. This Is Why.
Tax receipts dipped unexpectedly last year. The Biden administration blames Republican tax cuts, but the truth is more complicated.

The federal deficit is expected to have hit $2 trillion for the 2023 fiscal year, about $300 billion above the initial forecast of President Biden's administration.

By Jim Tankersley
Oct. 20, 2023

America's federal budget deficit effectively doubled over the year to $2 trillion, a surprising jump given the strength of the economy.

The deficit is the gap between how much the government spends and how much it receives in taxes. It tends to balloon during tough economic times and narrow when growth resumes, though that relationship broke under President Donald J. Trump and now President Biden.

White House officials initially predicted that the deficit would hit about $1.7 trillion in the 2023 fiscal year, which ended last month. That is the official figure that Treasury released on Friday. But it actually hit $2 trillion, when an accounting mirage caused by Mr. Biden's student-loan plan is….

Who has access to the full story?
dimitrig
concordtom said:

Totally unacceptable!

Quote:

Tax receipts dipped unexpectedly last year. The Biden administration blames Republican tax cuts, but the truth is more complicated.

The federal deficit is expected to have hit $2 trillion for the 2023 fiscal year, about $300 billion above the initial forecast of President Biden's administration.

By Jim Tankersley
Oct. 20, 2023

America's federal budget deficit effectively doubled over the year to $2 trillion, a surprising jump given the strength of the economy.

The deficit is the gap between how much the government spends and how much it receives in taxes. It tends to balloon during tough economic times and narrow when growth resumes, though that relationship broke under President Donald J. Trump and now President Biden.

White House officials initially predicted that the deficit would hit about $1.7 trillion in the 2023 fiscal year, which ended last month. That is the official figure that Treasury released on Friday. But it actually hit $2 trillion, when an accounting mirage caused by Mr. Biden's student-loan plan is….

https://archive.ph/ABW4X

movielover
Heavyweight Gypsy King Tyson Fury "survived a stunning Francis Ngannou knockdown" in controversial split decision win
dajo9
concordtom said:

Totally unacceptable!

Quote:

By Jim Tankersley
Oct. 20, 2023

Capital gains taxes are down because of capital market performance. Capital gains are typically volatile.
oski003
concordtom said:

Totally unacceptable!

Quote:

By Jim Tankersley
Oct. 20, 2023

Is it a billion or a trillion?
concordtom
Ha. Thank you.
10% For The Big Guy
LOL at 60 Minutes trying to rehabilitate Kamala Harris tonight

Cal88
^Meanwhile Newsom is padding his presidential resume doing his world tour at Xi's...
Big C
Cal88 said:

^Meanwhile Newsom is padding his presidential resume doing his world tour at Xi's...

He's got a list of things to appear Presidential. There's the debate with Desantis and then, supposedly, in three weeks, he's going to pardon a turkey.
10% For The Big Guy
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

He's got a list of things to appear Presidential. There's the debate with Desantis and then, supposedly, in three weeks, he's going to pardon a turkey.
You gotta be pretty desperate to agree to debate a guy who's not even running for President. Even if you come out of the debate looking better than Newsom (a virtual impossibility given the composition of the corporate media), who cares? Much as I despise Newsom for being the Democrat version of DeSantis (huge ambition, no actual values, panders like a *****), DeSantis is the one who is more likely to come out of this the big loser.
concordtom
10% For The Big Guy said:

Big C said:

Cal88 said:

You gotta be pretty desperate to agree to debate a guy who's not even running for President. Even if you come out of the debate looking better than Newsom (a virtual impossibility given the composition of the corporate media), who cares? Much as I despise Newsom for being the Democrat version of DeSantis (huge ambition, no actual values, panders like a *****), DeSantis is the one who is more likely to come out of this the big loser.

Man, your takes continue to astound.
When DeSantis looks bad in the debate, it'll be the media's fault. Wow.

And "Newsom has no values." Clearly you don't actually listen to him speak. Everyone has values.
movielover
DeSantis is desperate. He recently has been wearing cowboy boots w his suits. Channeling Ronnie, or a way to add lifts?
tequila4kapp
dajo9 said:

There were two strata of data above, one where percentage of debt was in the @15-20% range and a second where it was in a higher range. Thus, I incorrectly described those years as 'relatively stable'. My mistake.

You have now pivoted to measuring debt relative to GDP. I understand economists generally measure it that way because it assesses a nation's ability to service the debt. I might posit that is a different question from what I was discussing - the cause of debt being more tied to excess spending than tax rates on the rich.
movielover
ARC - Alliance for Responsible Citizenship - WEF counterpoint group has a huge gathering in London.

dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

dajo9 said:

There were two strata of data above, one where percentage of debt was in the @15-20% range and a second where it was in a higher range. Thus, I incorrectly described those years as 'relatively stable'. My mistake.

You have now pivoted to measuring debt relative to GDP. I understand economists generally measure it that way because it assesses a nation's ability to service the debt. I might posit that is a different question from what I was discussing - the cause of debt being more tied to excess spending than tax rates on the rich.

What you call pivoting is just me debunking your argument using your poor data and my superior data
tequila4kapp
Ford and GM announce escalating losses on their EV segments between 1-1.5B per quarter.
dajo9
tequila4kapp said:

Ford and GM announce escalating losses on their EV segments between 1-1.5B per quarter.

Other than Twitter, it is hard to think of other companies who tried so hard to fail on cultural grounds. Trump is right that China will dominate the EV market. Our corporate leaders are failing us.
First Page Last Page
Page 242 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.