Breaking News

979,197 Views | 11767 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by movielover
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover said:

concordtom said:

82gradDLSdad said:

Big C said:

dajo9 said:

tequila4kapp said:

dajo9 said:

My range is plenty adequate for my 70 mile round trip commute. On the rare occasion I use a charging station, I have to rush through a meal to finish eating before I'm recharged and a Tesla Model 3 costs the same as the average new car (if not less with recent price reductions).
Exactly my point. EVs are adequate for every day commuting. But if you want to actually travel you have to manage your stop / duration around the car's capacity. For many people that's a pretty big negative, as we are accustomed to being able to go wherever we want whenever we want however we want and refill virtually anywhere in about 5 minutes.

Tesla 3's start at @39K. Honda Accord starts at 28K. The tax credit brings the price of the 3 closer but historically consumers have had to wait to get that credit at the next tax filing cycle. Again, an inconvenience that is a barrier to entry for many. That appears to be changing this / next year - consumers can get the credit at the time of purchase, which is great.
You are deflecting. That wasn't the point you made at all. Most families have 2 cars. Our 2nd is a hybrid. Our lives are far more convenient as I've stopped at a gas station / charging station maybe 5 times this year and have never had to alter a trip because of our car ownership choices.

My point that a Tesla 3 costs the same as the average car is acknowledging there are cheaper cars (if you know what average means) so your 2nd paragraph is pointless.

Just got my first ride in a Tesla last weekend: Bad first impression. 150 mile round trip. We had to stop to charge on the way back (car not fully charged when we left). "Don't worry, we will go to a Tesla supercharger and it'll only take 15 minutes!" Well, to get there, we had to go out of our way and pull off the freeway in Sacto (never fun) and wind our way to the bottom floor of a giant parking garage. Then it took us 5 minutes at the automated gate on the way out because the "I was only charging my Tesla" receipt didn't seem to work. Added 45 minutes to our trip, total.

Then, back on the freeway, I asked if the car had the self-drive feature. "Yes, I'll show you, but since we're on a freeway, it'll seem more like a simple cruise control." Well inside of 5 minutes, we got to a part of the freeway where they had been doing some lane restriping during the week. The car starts to take us onto the left-hand shoulder (at 70 mph). "Oops!"

Not eager to go somewhere in one of those again (admittedly small sample size).

Now my Tesla FSD experience was fantastic and given that my wife doesn't ever want me driving since my seizures seven months ago I may just have to reconsider my 'buy inexpensive cars' stance if I ever want to drive again. I realize that there are still glitches in the software but while humans get worse (because we won't crack down on driving while on our phones, for example) AI gets better. That is an undisputed fact.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust self driving right now.
But it's just a matter of time when it'll be normal and accepted.
And it'll be great to be able for anyone of any age and ability to have a personal chauffeur on call 24/7/365.

Unfortunately, roads will be clogged because people will be using them to run errands like driving a book to mom's, or the fog to the groomer.

I read an article about the coming era of per mile taxation.

Liberals love control and taxes.

Hey, dumb dumb, who's going to pay for road construction and maintenance if nobody is buying gasoline, which is how it's currently funded?

10% For The Big Guy
concordtom said:

Hey, dumb dumb, who's going to pay for road construction and maintenance if nobody is buying gasoline, which is how it's currently funded?
Speaking of dumb dumbs:

movielover
Who pays for them, Winnie the Pooh?
concordtom
10% For The Big Guy said:

concordtom said:

Speaking of dumb dumbs:

Sybil, dumb dumb, all 10 of you, you should try reading your own links.

Indeed, these are the first two bullet points in the executive summary.

Quote:

Roads don't pay for themselves.

* Nearly as much of the cost of building and maintaining highways now comes from general taxes such as income and sales taxes (plus additional federal debt) as comes from gasoline taxes or other "user fees" on drivers. General taxes accounted for $69 billion of highway spending in 2012.

* Roads pay for themselves less and less over time. In the 1960s and early 1970s, gas taxes and other fees on drivers covered more than 70 percent of the costs of highway construction and maintenance. The share
of transportation costs covered by gasoline taxes is likely to continue to decline as a result of inflation, more fuel-efficient cars, and slower growth in driving.

Allow me to translate:

Gas tax used to pay for 70% of roads, but now it's dropped to just over 50%. And this source of funding is declining.

Hopefully you are smart enough to recognize that as more cars go to electric, states are collecting less gas tax revenue. And you should ask yourself, "where are governments going to come up with this lost revenue?"

The answer is: per mile usage tax. Many articles discuss this. California has a huge gas tax and so it's a lot of lost revenue that needs to be discovered.

Your link proved my point, not refute it.

BONUS: You strike me as a mental weakling MAGA type who likes policies that hurt the poor masses snd benefit the few rich, so I'll point out to you that any use tax is likely to be very "regressive" in nature. The poor have longer commutes and can less afford the added burden of either a gas tax or a mileage tax.
So, I'd think you'd like them both.

In fact, I don't understand your original post at all.
Control? What the hell does "control" have to do with my prior post???
dajo9

Unit2Sucks said:

If anyone cared about the twitter files, they could be considered a hoax. I don't follow the dude but from what I hear Taibbi is having a meltdown because he got smoked for his shoddy "reporting".

Do you know anything about the right wing National Journalism Center? Your pretend support for Bernie Sanders has always been a front to divide Democrats.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
10% For The Big Guy
concordtom said:

concordtom said:

Speaking of dumb dumbs:

Quote:

* Nearly as much of the cost of building and maintaining highways now comes from general taxes such as income and sales taxes (plus additional federal debt) as comes from gasoline taxes or other "user fees" on drivers. General taxes accounted for $69 billion of highway spending in 2012.

* Roads pay for themselves less and less over time. In the 1960s and early 1970s, gas taxes and other fees on drivers covered more than 70 percent of the costs of highway construction and maintenance. The share
of transportation costs covered by gasoline taxes is likely to continue to decline as a result of inflation, more fuel-efficient cars, and slower growth in driving.

Allow me to translate:

Gas tax used to pay for 70% of roads, but now it's dropped to just over 50%. And this source of funding is declining.

Hopefully you are smart enough to recognize that as more cars go to electric, states are collecting less gas tax revenue. And you should ask yourself, "where are governments going to come up with this lost revenue?"

The answer is: per mile usage tax. Many articles discuss this. California has a huge gas tax and so it's a lot of lost revenue that needs to be discovered.

BONUS: You strike me as a mental weakling MAGA type who likes policies that hurt the poor masses snd benefit the few rich, so I'll point out to you that any use tax is likely to be very "regressive" in nature. The poor have longer commutes and can less afford the added burden of either a gas tax or a mileage tax.

If there is a supreme being in this world, please let him put you and Eastern Oregon Bear on Jeopardy at the same time. I need the laughs.
10% For The Big Guy
dajo9 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

If anyone cared about the twitter files, they could be considered a hoax. I don't follow the dude but from what I hear Taibbi is having a meltdown because he got smoked for his shoddy "reporting".

Do you know anything about the right wing National Journalism Center? Your pretend support for Bernie Sanders has always been a front to divide Democrats.
Sure do:

Quote:

The Pulitzer Prize, which used to be awarded based on stellar investigatory reporting that exposed fraudulent mayoral elections, medical malpractice, and the corruption of toxic Chinese imports, now celebrates The New York Times' censorious coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Pulitzer has fallen from celebrating accurate journalism to refusing to rescind awards given to egregious reporting by The New York Times and The Washington Post. The newspapers' reporting falsely accused the Trump administration of colluding with Russia in the 2016 election, despite overwhelming evidence and Federal Election Commision fines for both Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee over the allegations.
Here's some of the garbage that's won recent Pulitzers in journalism.

2018 National Reporting Pulitzer - New York Times and Washington Post for Russiagate falsehoods
2019 Explanatory Reporting Pulitzer - New York Times on Trump's taxes (the nothing burger)
2020 Commentary Pulitzer - New York Times 1619 Project (false history presented as history)
2021 Public Service Pulitzer - New York Times for repeating government COVID-19 misinformation
2022 Public Service Pulitzer - Washington Post for the fake insurrection

Given that the Pulitzers are awarded by Columbia and the New York Times, I guess we can give them credit for giving a couple of liberal virtue signalling awards to the Washington Post while sucking themselves off in the other years.

The National Journalism Center may have a bias of its own, but given that they chose to give their award to a non-conservative, they at least showed some respect for factual reporting. Maybe the New York Times and Washington Post might want to try some fact-based reporting if they want people to respect the Pulitzer again.

oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

dajo9 said:

movielover said:

Who and what are the charges?
Also, the map clearly says January 6th, 2021. Biden didn't take office until January 20th, so it was the Trump DOJ rounding up protesters.

The Trump DOJ time-traveled to present day to arrest and charge Jan 6 protestors? Was there a Delorian involved?
Eastern Oregon Bear

concordtom said:

concordtom said:

Speaking of dumb dumbs:

Quote:

Allow me to translate:

If there is a supreme being in this world, please let him put you and Eastern Oregon Bear on Jeopardy at the same time. I need the laughs.
Sign me up! I'd love to be on Jeopardy.

I usually know most of the answers. I had a friend that was on Jeopardy back in the 90s and she said she knew the answers but so did the other contestants. Her main problem was being slower when pushing the button. She finished a distant second but she did win a vacation in Acapulco from the Daily Double.
tequila4kapp
We are potentially in the market for a car. My wife mostly drives to work and back, so EV could be doable. I legit considered the T3. Initial price of 38K - minus the 7500 subsidy - was enticing, but then I realized that was for rear wheel drive (In Portland FWD (if not AWD) is important). Switching to AWD adds another 10K. Deal breaker.

In other news I am also suspicious of the claims that EVs are net better for the economy.
And we haven't yet discussed the replacement cost for batteries. Ouch.
bearister
At the end of their lives do the batteries get delivered by drone to Yucca Mountain?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
bearister said:

At the end of their lives do the batteries get delivered by drone to Yucca Mountain?
Technology advances will someday change this dynamic but that's likely a ways away.
dajo9

dajo9 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Sure do:

Quote:

The Pulitzer Prize, which used to be awarded based on stellar investigatory reporting that exposed fraudulent mayoral elections, medical malpractice, and the corruption of toxic Chinese imports, now celebrates The New York Times' censorious coverage of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Pulitzer has fallen from celebrating accurate journalism to refusing to rescind awards given to egregious reporting by The New York Times and The Washington Post. The newspapers' reporting falsely accused the Trump administration of colluding with Russia in the 2016 election, despite overwhelming evidence and Federal Election Commision fines for both Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign and the Democratic National Committee over the allegations.
Here's some of the garbage that's won recent Pulitzers in journalism.

2018 National Reporting Pulitzer - New York Times and Washington Post for Russiagate falsehoods
2019 Explanatory Reporting Pulitzer - New York Times on Trump's taxes (the nothing burger)
2020 Commentary Pulitzer - New York Times 1619 Project (false history presented as history)
2021 Public Service Pulitzer - New York Times for repeating government COVID-19 misinformation
2022 Public Service Pulitzer - Washington Post for the fake insurrection

Given that the Pulitzers are awarded by Columbia and the New York Times, I guess we can give them credit for giving a couple of liberal virtue signalling awards to the Washington Post while sucking themselves off in the other years.

The National Journalism Center may have a bias of its own, but given that they chose to give their award to a non-conservative, they at least showed some respect for factual reporting. Maybe the New York Times and Washington Post might want to try some fact-based reporting if they want people to respect the Pulitzer again.

Lol at anybody who cares about corporate news patting itself on the back or right wing news patting itself on the back.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

We are potentially in the market for a car. My wife mostly drives to work and back, so EV could be doable. I legit considered the T3. Initial price of 38K - minus the 7500 subsidy - was enticing, but then I realized that was for rear wheel drive (In Portland FWD (if not AWD) is important). Switching to AWD adds another 10K. Deal breaker.

In other news I am also suspicious of the claims that EVs are net better for the economy.
And we haven't yet discussed the replacement cost for batteries. Ouch.

Battery lifetime questions was why I bought a Niro. 50 mpg is awesome. Feels so good. I will NEVER buy a gas guzzler again.

One thing I really want is a car that has B2L so I can plug my electric tools into it as I move around the property.
Battery2Load, like plugging into a household receptacle.

This will be standard in the future. So far very few have it.
concordtom
bearister said:

There's still a little juice left in them.
They are collecting them to harness the world's biggest electric chair to be used for that someone special! You know who. It'll be Huuuuge!
movielover
Big C

concordtom said:

concordtom said:

Speaking of dumb dumbs:

Quote:

Allow me to translate:

Can I be the third contestant? I need the money.
Big C
^^^ Kidding! Couldn't resist the set-up line! ^^^
movielover
Washington Free Beacon: Your Tax Dollars Pay For Millionaire Democrats' Swanky D.C. Apartments

"As one of their last actions with their majority, Democrats quietly tucked a provision into internal House rules that grants lawmakers access to an optional $34,000 annual subsidy to pay for their Washington, D.C., housing and meal expenses...." [No receipts required.]

"By covertly authorizing the housing subsidy through an internal rule change, Democrats effectively gave representatives a pay raise without triggering political backlash, the New York Times reported. Former Rep. Mo Brooks (R., Ala.) railed against the secretive nature of the housing subsidy in January."

Matt Gaetz took in the biggest check.

bearister
Ole Smokey Eye is a chip off the old block.

Poll: Sarah Huckabee Sanders' approval rating the lowest for an Arkansas governor in 20 years - Axios NW Arkansas

https://www.axios.com/local/nw-arkansas/2023/11/01/sarah-huckabee-sanders-poll-approval

She claimed God "wanted Donald Trump to become president."
SFCityBear
bearister said:

We used to send them to China, to flavor their rivers and streams, but it doesn't seem likely now. China is not so friendly these days, if we can judge by them buzzing our military jets in the South China Sea, buzzing Taiwan with aircraft, ramming a Filipino ship, and sending a fleet to Alaskan waters, and at least one spy balloon over continental USA, taking travel brochure photos of our military installations.
SFCityBear
movielover
You mean the balloons Mumbles didn't take out?
concordtom
Big C said:

^^^ Kidding! Couldn't resist the set-up line! ^^^

Nobody knows who you are.
So just go ahead and own the pun.
You have no reputation to uphold.
blungld
bearister said:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders claimed God "wanted Donald Trump to become president."
How does anyone get away with BS like that? Why don't Christians ever seem to get plssed when people lie like this and drag their God into stupidity. Not only is it absurd that the Christian God would select Trump, but it is way more absurd that ANYONE, let alone a person like her, knows what God wants.

I'd love for her to provide the proof that God wanted Trump. Did God tell her? How? Did she hear voices? A burning bush? Did she get something in writing and can we see it? OR, is she making ****e up and using the faithful's gullibility and tribal loyalty to claim whatever unchallenged insanity she wants?

Oh by the way, I know that God wants Trump to go to jail and wants Yogi to stop posting on BI. Prove me wrong.
bearister
"A burning bush?"
Well, apparently her eyes aren't the only things smokey.
movielover
blungld said:

bearister said:

How does anyone get away with BS like that? Why don't Christians ever seem to plssed when people lie like this and drag their God into stupidity. Not only is it absurd that the Christian God would select Trump, but it is way more absurd that ANYONE, let alone a person like her, knows what God wants.

I'd love for her to provide the proof that God wanted Trump. Did God tell her? How? Did she hear voices? A burning bush? Did she get something in writing and can we see it? OR, is she making ****e up and using the faithful's gullibility and tribal loyalty to claim whatever unchallenged insanity she wants?

Oh by the way, I know that God wants Trump to go to jail and wants Yogi to stop posting on BI. Prove me wrong.

Maybe being the first outsider to win in a century or more, a non politician who amazingly overcame the DC Machine, MSM, Wall Street Globalists, high tech and rigged elections. Quite remarkable.
bearister
He rigged both 2016 and 2020 elections but he underestimated how many votes he would need in 2020. His foreign fanboys won't make that mistake again. He will put 80 million "votes" on the board in 2024 and then say, "Try doing something about it."
MinotStateBeav
blungld
movielover said:

Maybe being the first outsider to win in a century or more, a non politician who amazingly overcame the DC Machine, MSM, Wall Street Globalists, high tech and rigged elections. Quite remarkable.
That's PROOF that God wanted Trump?!!! THAT'S your evidentiary standard? Any event that YOU find unusual is done by God? If I have diarrhea tomorrow even though I ate very healthy for several weeks, does that mean God did it? If Cal beats Oregon tomorrow does that mean God did it? What a completely primitive epistemology.

I disagree with your depiction of Trump's victory, but let's just take your claims as true. Trump is one of two candidates. 50/50 chance of winning. You think it is THAT extraordinary that one of two won and that the only explanation is devine intervention? Not that people voted for him in combination with Electoral College and the October surprise with Comey and Hillary? Nope. God intervened? Did God change votes in the machines? Did God cheat?

Why in the world would God want a person as president whose personal values and morals are in complete misalignment with Christianity who put in place and represents unChristian policies?

What proof other than your "that's kinda different that that guy won, must be God" do you have that God did anything to determine the election results? Has God made any proclamations or appearances? Did God do an interview recently where he said how much he likes Trump and so he made him win? Or is that just what you concluded in your own head?

If God were to interfere in human events like elections (which remember by Christian theology he does not do so that there is freewill and heaven/hell), why not just poof a perfect candidate who did all the Christian things Jesus preached? He has no need for imperfection to accomplish his goals so don't give me the ridiculous apology that "God chooses the least likely." God can chose the most likely and most effective if he interfering. It's weird that God's choice lost an election and broke laws and was impeached. Is God like a really bad judge of character, not great at hiring and personnel placement? God is omniscient so he knew that Trump would end up being a very controversial president who divided Americans and split families and weakened democracy and strengthened authoritarianism, and that's what God wanted?

I know that you and others want to avoid personal accountability and so when you support a person and policy that is clearly wrong, or unChristian, or perhaps even straight evil, you can always have the cop out that this is God's plan or that God did it. Not you. Not your ignorance or petty mindedness. No. God thinks just like you so you are right and it is okay. It's amazing how the most omnipotent omniscient being in the universe does not have a higher more sophisticated morality than humankind's best and brightest philosophers and spiritual leaders and instead has the morality and theology of low-information voters and charlatans.

It's almost as if really dumb people invented a really dumb God so that they could believe in their really dumb God and understand that really dumb God because anything more sophisticated would be over their head and then they pretend their really dumb God is true and that he makes all the really dumb things they want to happen (and when they don't just ignore that) so that they can feel that they and their really dumb tribe/cult are righteous and they can tell each other that they are not really really dumb people but instead really really good people. I mean, that's what it sort of looks like.
bearister

…but I do believe God wants Derek Carr to take personal responsibility for every NO loss, even though a lot of people get mad when he says that.

movielover
bearister said:

He rigged both 2016 and 2020 elections but he underestimated how many votes he would need in 2020. His foreign fanboys won't make that mistake again. He will put 80 million "votes" on the board in 2024 and then say, "Try doing something about it."

Except all the "fanboys" were hard-core multi-generational Democrats in blue cities like Atlanta and Philadelphia.

Really telling: Democrats / Socialists wouldn't even let poll watchers into the buildings or near the ballots - to do their jobs!!
blungld
movielover said:

bearister said:

Except all the "fanboys" were hard-core multi-generational Democrats in blue cities like Atlanta and Philadelphia.

Really telling: Democrats / Socialists wouldn't even let poll watchers into the buildings or near the ballots - to do their jobs!!

How many years later and still recycling old conspiracy misinformation even after every claim falls in court without evidence, is falsified in fact check, and the people who initiated the misinformation admit they were lying in sworn testimony. But why don't you look at the Georgia boxes video again and again.
bearister
Arizona "poll watcher:"

An armed individual dressed in tactical gear at a ballot drop box in Mesa, Arizona, on Oct. 21, 2022. Source: Maricopa County Elections Department
concordtom
blungld said:

bearister said:

How does anyone get away with BS like that? Why don't Christians ever seem to get plssed when people lie like this and drag their God into stupidity. Not only is it absurd that the Christian God would select Trump, but it is way more absurd that ANYONE, let alone a person like her, knows what God wants.

Great post.
Great questions.

But look at this post from the Hoops page - proof that God doesn't always get his/her way!

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/117680/replies/2252801

And Trump still walks amongst us, too!
concordtom
blungld said:

movielover said:

That's PROOF that God wanted Trump?!!! THAT'S your evidentiary standard? Any event that YOU find unusual is done by God? If I have diarrhea tomorrow even though I ate very healthy for several weeks, does that mean God did it? If Cal beats Oregon tomorrow does that mean God did it? What a completely primitive epistemology.

I disagree with your depiction of Trump's victory,

I know it's hard, but just save your breath. These people are insane; mankind is insane.

There is no other way to explain it.

When a small group of people hijack planes and fly them into buildings because they think they are doing something good - insane!

When a couple thousand people suddenly sneak across a border to kill and hijack whomever they come across because they think they are doing something good - insane!

When a few million people label, round up, and systematically kill 6 million because they think they are doing something good - insane!

That MAGAts are merely the latest, and our local, incarnation.

First Page Last Page
Page 244 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.