Border Wall Shutdown

27,985 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by dajo9
B.A. Bearacus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like Trump definitely saw Sicario 2.

FuzzyWuzzy
blungld said:

golden sloth said:

...even if Mueller's report states Trump has been a Russian mole from Day 1, and the Senate Republicans do nothing with that information, I still say they keep the Senate.
Not if there are Senate member who are also part of the conspiracy and are indicted.
Like who
concordtom

"Oh dear GOP, beware Thomas Jefferson's wise foresight."
-Mussolini's ghost

http://factmyth.com/factoids/thomas-jefferson-called-for-rebellion-and-revolution/
blungld
FuzzyWuzzy said:

blungld said:

golden sloth said:

...even if Mueller's report states Trump has been a Russian mole from Day 1, and the Senate Republicans do nothing with that information, I still say they keep the Senate.
Not if there are Senate member who are also part of the conspiracy and are indicted.
Like who
I wouldn't be surprised if Nunes gets nailed for Obstruction (maybe a few others) and as the NRA/RNC/Russian money links emerge that might also result in a sudden set of "retirements" and perhaps charges.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
bearister

Air traffic controllers defeated Trump. That's worker power
Robert Reich

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/29/air-traffic-controllers-defeated-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
Someone told Dotard, Super Bowl Sunday in Atlanta, with the Polar Vortex slamming down...big trouble was coming. Imagine SB Weekend, a major snow storm and air traffic controllers calling in sick. Trump is an idiot but even he could see the bad press ahead of time.

p.s. there's suggestions that if Trump tries another shut down, GOP senators will block it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/28/government-shutdown-republicans-trump-1133101
Peanut Gallery Consultant
sp4149
blungld said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

blungld said:

golden sloth said:

Like who
I wouldn't be surprised if Nunes gets nailed for Obstruction (maybe a few others) and as the NRA/RNC/Russian money links emerge that might also result in a sudden set of "retirements" and perhaps charges.
Noonz (Azorean pronunciation) is not a Senator, and now that the GOP lost the House he will be investigated for how he obstructed the House investigations and did not recuse himself since he was part of the Trump campaign. His dairy farm family aren't even Californians, they hire illegals on their farm back in the Iowa district of Steven King. He's walking a thin line raising campaign funds almost all outside California and supporting immigration reform opposite what his family has practiced for 100 years. Highly conflicted for many things outside of Russian conspiracy. (AKA foreign agent for Portugal while sitting congressman).
sp4149
bearister said:

Air traffic controllers defeated Trump. That's worker power
Robert Reich

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/29/air-traffic-controllers-defeated-trump?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Unfavorable comparison to Reagan who fired air traffic controllers when they refused to work. Their union was pretty well decimated by Ronnie. Back then if Reagan refused to pay them for a month, no planes would have flown.
FuzzyWuzzy
blungld said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

blungld said:

golden sloth said:

Like who
I guess nothing should surprise me any more.
concordtom
Trump just floated the idea of tearing down border wall in Tijuana so as to allow masses of people free access into San Diego, so that California would be forced to show allegiance to the concept of physical border wall.
concordtom
How about if Blue State Governors just pull together in a civil war-like pact. Now trump, and your stupid supporters, you shut the hell up or else.

golden sloth
concordtom said:

How about if Blue State Governors just pull together in a civil war-like pact. Now trump, and your stupid supporters, you shut the hell up or else.

This is actually something I am really interested to learn more about, but everything I've found shows the data changes year by year (which may not be surprising), and that the states receiving more than they pay changes drastically from year to year as well. Do you have a good link which shows the year by year giving / receiving split? If you don't that's cool, I'd just like to look at the data myself.
concordtom
Do google searches on federally dependent states. That's the term most often used. Various sites cover it.
I don't know year over year.

All I know is that it's interesting to note that the states the take more than they pay coincides roughly with the states that support trump and are less multi-ethnic, too.
Coincidence?

California and New York could launch a pact where our governors instruct citizens to pay federal income taxes to holding banks. Tell trump he can get his money when he resigns.
sp4149
concordtom said:

Do google searches on federally dependent states. That's the term most often used. Various sites cover it.

All I know is that it's interesting to note that the states the take more than they pay coincides roughly with the states that support trump and are less multi-ethnic, too.
Coincidence?

California and New York could launch a pact where our governors instruct citizens to pay federal income taxes to holding banks. Tell trump he can get his money when he resigns.
Many states have little or no state income tax because they get enough money from the
Feds to run state government. that is one reason the GOP could greatly reduce the Federal deductions
for state and local taxes.
blungld
sp4149 said:

concordtom said:

Coincidence?

Many states have little or no state income tax because they get enough money from the
Feds to run state government. that is one reason the GOP could greatly reduce the Federal deductions
for state and local taxes.
So the rich can move to areas that use the taxes collected from everybody else at the federal level that are then sent in subsidy to these no tax states so they avoid paying their fair share but still get the fruits of the economy and the benefits from the less fortunate who are actually so stupid as to pay taxes? Got it.

concordtom
concordtom
We are the highest by a country mile.
Shall we change the name of this thread to Relocation Services?

sp4149
concordtom said:

We are the highest by a country mile.
Shall we change the name of this thread to Relocation Services?

The problem with the chart is that it tracks only income tax, which is only one of three primary ways states raise money. Sales tax is a big source of funds to run state government. And forgotten are FEES, the GOP euphemism for taxes. FEES in some states are higher than taxes in others. E.G. probate fees in Louisiana are higher than estate taxes in California if the estate is only a couple of million.
oski003
Sales tax in Los Angeles in the 90s was 7.5 %. Now, it is over 10%. The special taxes on cigarettes and gas have increased astronomically. I quit smoking and now walk miles to work and home even though it is uphill both ways in the snow :/
golden sloth
concordtom said:

Spent last weekend up there, beautiful place with a nice beach and solid dispensary. I was talking to a hotel-arranged driver and he talked about a $75 million placed for sale at Crystal Bay. In case anyone is wondering what it looks like:

https://www.redfin.com/NV/Crystal-Bay/300-Nevada-28-89402/home/145618369
golden sloth
oski003 said:

Sales tax in Los Angeles in the 90s was 7.5 %. Now, it is over 10%. The special taxes on cigarettes and gas have increased astronomically. I quit smoking and now walk miles to work and home even though it is uphill both ways in the snow :/
Damn those taxes making you healthier!
B.A. Bearacus
golden sloth said:

oski003 said:

Seriously, Oski, do you wish that cigarettes were so cheap that you never would have quit? IMO, good on you for quitting and hope you're able to stick with it. For anyone else looking to quit, here is a book I bought for a friend about 15 years ago and after reading it, he had one last cigarette and knew it would the last one he ever had.
oski003
B.A. Bearacus said:

golden sloth said:

oski003 said:

Seriously, Oski, do you wish that cigarettes were so cheap that you never would have quit? IMO, good on you for quitting and hope you're able to stick with it. For anyone else looking to quit, here is a book I bought for a friend about 15 years ago and after reading it, he had one last cigarette and knew it would the last one he ever had.

Not at all... But taxes are high
B.A. Bearacus

concordtom
Trump is a wrecking ball, ruining everything in his path.
concordtom
And McConnell is a wuss.
Another Bear
You know I'm fine with Trump declaring a national emergency for his wall. Why? Because it puts his presidency further in the hole, and it will show up in history as a major fail...and it will be challenged...but it also opens a door that can't be closed easily.

Declaring a national emergency for what is basically policy leads to many things...like when the Dems get in office, the Dem POTUS will then declare global climate change a national/international emergency...and set a course of action. And for god freakin' sake it's about time after Dubya dragged his feet and the GOP obstructed Obama. It's been said we have 12 years to right the climate change ship and headed in the right direction...so take off 2 more of Trump and then we have 10 years.

So this is what stupid, short term and near sighed policy looks like in the age of Trump...but it will come back to haunt the GOP.
sycasey
Another Bear said:

You know I'm fine with Trump declaring a national emergency for his wall. Why? Because it puts his presidency further in the hole, and it will show up in history as a major fail...and it will be challenged...but it also opens a door that can't be closed easily.

Declaring a national emergency for what is basically policy leads to many things...like when the Dems get in office, the Dem POTUS will then declare global climate change a national/international emergency...and set a course of action. And for god freakin' sake it's about time after Dubya dragged his feet and the GOP obstructed Obama. It's been said we have 12 years to right the climate change ship and headed in the right direction...so take off 2 more of Trump and then we have 10 years.

So this is what stupid, short term and near sighed policy looks like in the age of Trump...but it will come back to haunt the GOP.

Yup, agreed completely. Same for McConnell breaking the filibuster for a SCOTUS nominee. Yes, a short-term win for him, but long term it's not good precedent for the conservative party.
golden sloth
What are the odds Trump is targeting money that was supposed to go to California to pay for this wall. Its a good time to be a lawyer.

McConnell is a *****, I didn't think it was possible to dislike the man more, but he keeps finding ways to be an even bigger hypocrite and ****ty human being.
OBear073akaSMFan
golden sloth said:

What are the odds Trump is targeting money that was supposed to go to California to pay for this wall. Its a good time to be a lawyer.

McConnell is a *****, I didn't think it was possible to dislike the man more, but he keeps finding ways to be an even bigger hypocrite and ****ty human being.
McConnell is a spineless piece of ****, like Nunez, McCarthy, and many other Republican congressmen & women.
blungld
We are the United States of America. A country that has proudly stuck its chest out since the end of WWII in our role as international beacon for Democracy, Freedom, and all issues of justice. We travelled the world as the good guys.

Now, we have a president and his apparatus, obsessed with a single defining symbol for a new America.

That symbol? Not a statue that welcomes "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses...," not a rocket soaring through the atmosphere to land on the lunar surface in a "giant leap for mankind," and not the herculean effort of a humanitarian act that made us all Berliners.

No, the new symbol for American greatness is a wall. Yes, a wall. No plaque. No iconic image of enduring human spirit. No uplifting quote. Just a wall...with barbed wire. That is what we have been reduced to. That is the expression of our new values: closed, isolated, militarized, angry, ours, against you, not listening, not accepting, not empathetic, and not willing to help or include you.

Time and time again, America has created symbols of aspiration to Man's highest nature. We fought to end authoritarians and their small-minded controls on human liberty. Now, we spend the great resources of this country, months and months of public energy, billions of dollars, for beliefs and policy beholden to a rabid myopic fearful base dictated to by greedy profiteers and propagandists. It's a sham. It's an insult. It's an offense. It's an abdication of our moral leadership on the world stage.

The national emergency is not the border, the emergency is the nation itself and those citizens who don't care about the loss of our noble identity.

offshorebear
B.A. Bearacus said:

golden sloth said:

oski003 said:

Great book. I wish someone could figure out why it works so well. My theory is 1) selection bias - the people reading it in the first place are already pretty dedicated to the idea of stopping and have probably tried many times already and 2) it helps address and relieve some serious fears and anxieties that exist around quitting that is caused by the devil drug nicotine. It is tough physically in that you get nervous, restless, anxious, nauseous, sweaty, bad sleep, brain fog etc etc but the hardest part is overcoming that psychological barrier that is the fear of quitting.

Anyway, amazing book that should be hailed as one of the most important of our generation. Helped me and helped a dozen others I know more than any other method by a country mile
B.A. Bearacus
Any conservatives ok with the president usurping the power of the purse here? Would like to know where you stand on this.
Another Bear
So the Short Fingered Nationalis declares a national emergency for his wall. Gavin Newsom just said see you in court...as did many other entities/instituations, so it's not happening right away...if ever. Just more GOP wingnut confusion and nothing burgers. Not only is Trump incompetent but he's a stupid, silly wanker for not punting on this already. In any case, seems like more smoke to cover up the bigger, major crimes like treason and all that stuff.

oski003
Trump now has almost a third as many active presidential emergencies as Obama!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.