Trump's big National Emergency speech on Tuesday

13,699 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dajo9
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a Crock of Slime!
dajo9
#BoycottTrumpSpeech

American Vermin
golden sloth
I will not be watching his BS PR stunt (because seriously, when has he not lied to the American people), and will instead be planning a trip to Tahoe in a few weeks. It also angers me that the media lets him do this. Don't cut out your broadcasting to give voice to a bigot that wants to implement an ineffective waste money (the consensus by all the experts). Let the news networks like CNN, Fox, MSNBC cover it.

The true irony of all this is that Trump is significantly weakening border security right now by not paying the TSA, who are then working at other jobs to make rent (though I have an extreme dislike for the TSA because they are absolutely horrible at their job).
Another Bear
Yeah it's bullshtt. Half of illegal immigration comes through airports and are visa violations.

Still need border security but the "wall" (really a fence) does little except let Trump play to his base. So it's really a $5billion play to his base. Not suprisingly his base is starting to feel the squeeze from the shutdown.

Trump really fccked up here, painting himself into a corner. Needs the wall for his base but the shut down is hurting his base. Meanwhile Congress isn't buying any of it and illegal immigration at the border has been on the down swing for a while. Trump picked a wedge issue that he can't work because he's incompetent.

Any way, the address tonight will make things worse and less likely anything passes. Trump doesn't have the vote. Calling for emergency funding is going to be a noose around his neck.

Peanut Gallery Consultant
sp4149
Another Bear said:

Any way, the address tonight will make things worse and less likely anything passes. Trump doesn't have the vote. Calling for emergency funding is going to be a noose around his neck.

The declaration of an emergency to avoid congressional approval is a headfirst dive down the slippery slope of closing down Congress. End goal of an American autocrat.

Big losers will be DOD contracting officers who follow 'their leader' and ignore the laws of the land to issue the contracts. Hopefully they will be fired, lose their pensions and their liberty.
oski003
Obviously, it is more complicated than this, but...

1) Constitutional Interpretation gives illegal immigrants 4th /14th ammendment rights just for being on our land; and
2) gives their offspring full citizenship if born on our land, even if parents on land illegally.

Solution: Prevent them from crossing the border.
concordtom
Some are suggesting networks have a background LIE text flash when trump lies tonight. Others suggest having a scrolling text below explaining rebuttal to his lies.

I like the idea of having a network replay his speech in it's entirety, but then stopping the tape and immediately having a quick studio discussion of the lie that was just stated. If he speaks for 30 minutes, that might turn it into a 2 hour speech to get thru, because he lies so often it will take 3x as long to explain the lie.

That would not only be more fair to the concept of truth, but would be entertaining. The audience would be anticipating the sudden freeze in the middle of the lie, and people would be shouting "LIAR" and expecting to go to studio where the official bull**** callers call him out.
concordtom
Trump's initial "Build the wall" was not a real policy solution offering, because it was not well thought out at all.
It WAS a racist, xenophobic fear mongering tool that got a lot of mileage do to its simplicity:
Build.
The.
Wall.

Duhhhh.....
Complicated situation, simple-minded proposal.

I heard some left leaning person say on tv the other day that instead of building a wall, we need to build the economies south of our border such that folks don't want to cross. Also, not a well thought thru solution, at all! Idealistic? Absolutely, but that's too big of a problem to fix in its entirety!

Responsible politicians will dive into the mess and come up with intelligent solutions. Nobody has done that yet.

A physical barrier is not a bad concept. But this salesman has not sold the American public on the myriad problems associated with it, not in the least. Nor does he even attempt to answer the questions, complaints. He tries to shut people up, change the subject, and talk louder. In traveler's parlance, he is the epitome of Ugly American!
concordtom
oski003 said:

1) Constitutional Interpretation gives illegal immigrants 4th /14th ammendment rights just for being on our land; and
2) gives their offspring full citizenship if born on our land, even if parents on land illegally.

"A wall" has many problems, and does not solve the situation, while creating new ones.
I'd like to hear much more in response, but trump does not allow dialogue to exist on this level. Poor leadership.
concordtom
Another Bear said:

Yeah it's bullshtt. Half of illegal immigration comes through airports and are visa violations.

Still need border security but the "wall" (really a fence) does little except let Trump play to his base. So it's really a $5billion play to his relatively low-educated and unworldly white base. Not suprisingly his base is starting to feel the squeeze from the shutdown.

Trump really fccked up here, painting himself into a corner. Needs the wall for his base but the shut down is hurting his base. Meanwhile Congress isn't buying any of it and illegal immigration at the border has been on the down swing for a while. Trump picked a wedge issue that he can't work because he's incompetent.

Any way, the address tonight will make things worse and less likely anything passes**. Trump doesn't have the vote. Calling for emergency funding is going to be a noose around his neck.

1. Fixed it for you
2.** I heard on radio just now that a possibility is that he tries to claim emergency, military to build wall, and thus he ends the shutdown so he can look like the hero.

The result would be that much of his base would indeed buy his spin, while simply moving the fight over a wall to a different venue, such as congress or courts. He can claim victory on all fronts if he wins there, or accuse others of being horrible Americans (and he and his base the victims) if he loses. In other words, the fight goes on.

I'm preparing for a mass of lies and outrage. I must admit, I love hating him more and more.

concordtom
I cannot escape the similarities between Nazi propaganda and Trump's-nouveau-GOP lies.
They will be on broad display tonight.

Here's another guy who rose to to top. Just because you make your way there is not justification for the rest of us being lemmings under your command.
Resist the temptation to conform to authority (see movie "Experimenter").

oski003
Tom, don't be so hard on yourself. I doubt your hatred has led you to become Emperor Palpatine. :P
concordtom
Ha,
No, actually, trump is the emporor and that's what he is saying to me.
He's turning me to the dark side.
I see visions of Musillini hanging in Milan.
kelly09
Another Bear said:

Still need border security but the "wall" (really a fence) does little except let Trump play to his base. So it's really a $5billion play to his base. Not suprisingly his base is starting to feel the squeeze from the shutdown.

Illegal immigtation is ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to expulsion. So many deportees come back. A better means of stopping people at the border should be implemented.The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed. Why do you Dems oppose? Certainly it's not because you see a new voting bloc. Well, not the new...
Unit2Sucks
Declaring a fake emergency is clearly Trump's best exit strategy. Gives him the fig leaf of trying to fulfill a campaign promise (well, to the extent that a fence paid for by blue states is the same as a wall paid for by Mexico) without having to actually govern or accomplish anything.

Even better, he surely knows that declaring an emergency won't result in the fence being built - but that's better for him because he doesn't want to build anything. He wants to continue to use this issue (even though it won't help him in 2020) because he thinks this is good for him. Actually building the fence would eliminate the issue so it's never going to happen. And the cherry on top is that the courts will overturn his declaration which will allow him to go on repeated rants about what a victim he is and how bad liberal judges are.

It's really winning by losing, which is the true tao of Trump.
golden sloth
It is my understanding that the Border Patrol Agencies don't want a wall:
Quote:

WASHINGTON President Trump has called for a wall along the border with Mexico to stop undocumented immigrants and drugs from entering the United States. But Border Patrol agents on the front lines say they need more technology and additional personnel to curb the illegal traffic, according to a report released on Thursday by Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

The report was based on internal Customs and Border Protection documents from the 2017 fiscal year. It concluded that less than one half of 1 percent of the agents' suggestions to secure the Southwest border mentioned the need for a wall.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/border-patrol-wall-immigration-trump-senate-democrats.html
blungld
oski003 said:

...or we can welcome them because immigration to America is a good and historical thing and we just need to have a fairer and more expedient process--and yes also stop drug traffic and real criminals.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Another Bear
kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

Illegal immigtation is ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to expulsion. So many deportees come back. A better means of stopping people at the border should be implemented.The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed. Why do you Dems oppose? Certainly it's not because you see a new voting bloc. Well, not the new...
Oppose what? Illegal immigration or enforcement? SHOW EVERYONE HERE WHERE anyone said anything about opposing anything.

I stated stuff about how half of illegal immigration came through airports and visa violation and border security was still needed.

Seriously...W.T.F. ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Listen if you're going to argue, first learn to READ. I recall you give people crap for typo and being a Cal grad. Well right back at you but this is about READ COMPREHENSION. For a Cal grad, you should be ashamed.

blungld
kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

That statement shows a fundamental lack of knowledge about the realities of immigration.

"The Bear will not quilt, the Bear will not dye!"
Another Bear
This gets to the matter of Trump... This is basically what he did, create a problem of his doing that only he can fix. Methinks it takes the imbecile down. This is NOT leadership, this is chaos and bullshtt.

TRUMP HAS INVENTED A BORDER CRISIS THAT ONLY HE CAN SOLVE

Quote:

The president's threat to declare a national emergency could become a constitutional crisis.
golden sloth
Also, Trump was offered money for his wall multiple times by Democrats in exchange for a path to citizenship for the dreamers. He rejected this proposal every time, and countered with 'give me my wall for nothing or else I'll shut down the government' and severely weaken border security in the process. Please note the Republican-lead senate unanimously approved a funding bill Trump then refused to sign. Why does Trump hate his Republican cohorts, why does he not acknowledge a unanimous Senate vote as representing the will of the people, why is Trump weakening border security? Why do you support him on this issue when all the experts say the wall does little to stop illegal immigration, why waste tax-payer dollars on this?
Another Bear
Trump owns the TRUMP SHUTDOWN. He's proud of the shutdown.

B.A. Bearacus
Only because it is supposed to be eight mins, I will watch. Would love for a fly to be swarming around his face.

going4roses
dajo9
B.A. Bearacus said:

Only because it is supposed to be eight mins, I will watch. Would love for a fly to be swarming around his face.

I hereby revoke your #Resistance card
kelly09
blungld said:

kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

That statement shows a fundamental lack of knowledge about the realities of immigration.
No, it doesn't.
concordtom
Lol
He will never allow himself to get tag-teamed like that again! What a foolish maneuver on his part.

You know, how he was always saying that Nancy Pelosi should be the speaker? I think he thought he was going to be able to completely blow her over. It's a machoism thing. He thought wrong. He's a rookie, and she is a deep veteran. Who has not yet lost her marbles at, what? 78 years old?

Did anyone else notice how when Trump got upset in that meeting he picked out Schumer to stare at, lean forward in the chair at, and try to intimidate? He didn't even want to take on Nancy, For fear of being called a male attacker.
So, she ditched out the Trump shutdown label, and he got upset and went after Schumer. Ha ha ha.
concordtom
If you turn that into a drinking game, we will all be drunk after the first two minutes.
concordtom
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Oh I'm going to watch, because I get joy out of listening to him lie, so I can hate him more!
See my Emperor comment above.
Mussolini.
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

B.A. Bearacus
Unit2Sucks
Is Grassley still using a Nokia phone with a t9 keyboard from pre-iPhone days? How hard is it to type "you"?
B.A. Bearacus
Unit2Sucks said:

Is Grassley still using a Nokia phone with a t9 keyboard from pre-iPhone days? How hard is it to type "you"?
Unit2 sounding like a New Yorker.
sycasey
kelly09 said:

The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed.
Nope.
AunBear89
kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

Hiring undocumented workers is also ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to prosecution. Yet so many of the employers are Republicans with deep pockets (or POTUS) so...
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.