Trump's big National Emergency speech on Tuesday

13,698 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dajo9
OBear073akaSMFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please Mr. Narcissist blow your head off on national TV. You will get the biggest street celebrating ever.
kelly09
sycasey said:

kelly09 said:

The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed.
Nope.
he U.S. Border Patrol Chief, Carla Provost said, "We certainly do need a wall. If you talk to any Border Patrol Agent, they will tell you that. This is something we've been doing for the last 30 years. We have identified across the entire southwest border
kelly09
AunBear89 said:

kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

Yeah it's bullshtt. Half of illegal immigration comes through airports and are visa violations.

Still need border security but the "wall" (really a fence) does little except let Trump play to his base. So it's really a $5billion play to his base. Not suprisingly his base is starting to feel the squeeze from the shutdown.

Trump really fccked up here, painting himself into a corner. Needs the wall for his base but the shut down is hurting his base. Meanwhile Congress isn't buying any of it and illegal immigration at the border has been on the down swing for a while. Trump picked a wedge issue that he can't work because he's incompetent.

Any way, the address tonight will make things worse and less likely anything passes. Trump doesn't have the vote. Calling for emergency funding is going to be a noose around his neck.

Illegal immigtation is ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to expulsion. So many deportees come back. A better means of stopping people at the border should be implemented.The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed. Why do you Dems oppose? Certainly it's not because you see a new voting bloc. Well, not the new...
Hiring undocumented workers is also ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to prosecution. Yet so many of the employers are Republicans with deep pockets (or POTUS) so...
I agree with you. Most of the people in this state with deep pockets are not Republicans.
Another Bear
concordtom said:

Lol
He will never allow himself to get tag-teamed like that again! What a foolish maneuver on his part.

You know, how he was always saying that Nancy Pelosi should be the speaker? I think he thought he was going to be able to completely blow her over. It's a machoism thing. He thought wrong. He's a rookie, and she is a deep veteran. Who has not yet lost her marbles at, what? 78 years old?

Did anyone else notice how when Trump got upset in that meeting he picked out Schumer to stare at, lean forward in the chair at, and try to intimidate? He didn't even want to take on Nancy, For fear of being called a male attacker.
So, she ditched out the Trump shutdown label, and he got upset and went after Schumer. Ha ha ha.
The GOP have tried to tag Nancy Pelosi as the next Hillary to hate. The GOP is trying to do the same to Alexandra Cortez...and it's not working on either. Nancy Pelosi is polling better than Trump and there's no reason to hate her. I love that Nancy barely raised her voice on calling it the Trump Shutdown. You're right about the veteran. She knows the rules and how to run legislation. Trump...makes a stupid demand, shuts down government and calls a national TV address...because that's all he knows. He can't win on this.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
sycasey
kelly09 said:

sycasey said:

kelly09 said:

The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed.
Nope.
he U.S. Border Patrol Chief, Carla Provost said, "We certainly do need a wall. If you talk to any Border Patrol Agent, they will tell you that. This is something we've been doing for the last 30 years. We have identified across the entire southwest border
I'll give you that opinion seems . . . mixed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/border-patrol-wall-immigration-trump-senate-democrats.html
sycasey
kelly09 said:

AunBear89 said:

kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

Yeah it's bullshtt. Half of illegal immigration comes through airports and are visa violations.

Still need border security but the "wall" (really a fence) does little except let Trump play to his base. So it's really a $5billion play to his base. Not suprisingly his base is starting to feel the squeeze from the shutdown.

Trump really fccked up here, painting himself into a corner. Needs the wall for his base but the shut down is hurting his base. Meanwhile Congress isn't buying any of it and illegal immigration at the border has been on the down swing for a while. Trump picked a wedge issue that he can't work because he's incompetent.

Any way, the address tonight will make things worse and less likely anything passes. Trump doesn't have the vote. Calling for emergency funding is going to be a noose around his neck.

Illegal immigtation is ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to expulsion. So many deportees come back. A better means of stopping people at the border should be implemented.The Border Patrol people say a wall is needed. Why do you Dems oppose? Certainly it's not because you see a new voting bloc. Well, not the new...
Hiring undocumented workers is also ILLEGAL! Violating the law should lead to prosecution. Yet so many of the employers are Republicans with deep pockets (or POTUS) so...
I agree with you. Most of the people in this state with deep pockets are not Republicans.
What about Arizona and Texas?
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

kelly09 said:

AunBear89 said:

kelly09 said:

What about Arizona and Texas?
What about golf courses in West Palm Beach and Bedminster?
B.A. Bearacus
And Mushroom D is snorting Adderall right about... now.

going4roses
I have heard that people are starving ( no food/cant afford to buy seeds/ livestock dying from drought) that is why they are walking to the boarder trying to crossover
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
"He is a joke! He is a clown! He is incompetent! He is full of malice and meanness, but the one thing that he will never be is taken seriously. He has no ability to forward a domestic agenda of any type. He is reckless on the international stage. And so we see here the con man being exposed, people have come to see the wizard and the wizard has promised them the great wall of Trump paid for by the Mexicans, but at the moment for the unveiling of the wall, it appears to be an invisible one. And where are the pesos? Where are the Mexican pesos that the American people were promised would pay for this wall. There are no pesos!"
Steve Schmidt
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
concordtom
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Please Mr. Narcissist blow your head off on national TV. You will get the biggest street celebrating ever.
He'd get untoppable ratings, that's for sure.
And we know how important that is to him!
bearister
Lest we forget how millions of our fellow citizens think:

A comment in the Daily Mail:

"How can anyone who works for a living be democratic? How can anyone think it's OK to have open borders? How can anyone actually listen to Pelosi? How can anyone be so damn ignorant? The only reason I see not to be a Trump supporter is if you don't work, are in this country illegally or are just so dumb that you can't think for yourself."
bearister
B.A. Bearacus
AunBear89
kelly09 said:

AunBear89 said:

kelly09 said:

Another Bear said:

You keep telling yourself that. Do whatever you need to do to help yourself justify your questionable choices in life.

But, IF you want to believe that the Central Valley agriculture industry is full of Democrats, then I really see no way we can have a rational conversation about this.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
B.A. Bearacus
Incredibly insincere-sounding, low-energy Cheeto right now.
Another Bear
Fear-mongering is classic fascism. Straight from the Nazi playbook.
Another Bear
Have to say Nancy and Chuck taking the soft-spoken, low=key, non-hype, non-fear presentation is in stark contrast to the usual Trump bombastic rhetoric.
bearister
A 2018 study from the Cato Institute *found that immigrants have far lower arrest and criminal conviction rates than native-born Americansa pattern that study author Alex Nowrasteh says holds for all crimes. Homicide conviction rates were 16 percent lower for immigrants than for native-born Americans in Texas in 2015, and criminal convictions overall were 50 percent lower for immigrants.

https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/criminalization-immigration-united-states

*The Cato Institute is funded by the Koch Brothers

dajo9
Sounds like the speech was a dud. I didn't watch it.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

Incredibly insincere-sounding, low-energy Cheeto right now.

I think he was like that when he delivered the bad news to Garey Busey as well.

B.A. Bearacus
Seeing this disappointed mom/dad theme...

B.A. Bearacus
He ain't fooling anyone...

concordtom
going4roses said:

I have heard that people are starving ( no food/cant afford to buy seeds/ livestock dying from drought) that is why they are walking to the boarder trying to crossover
Wrong. That's not why they are coming.
They are al queda terrorists coming to kills us.

Fear.

concordtom
dajo9 said:

Sounds like the speech was a dud. I didn't watch it.
I listened on radio. He didn't say anything new.
And the pelosi Schumer response didn't rock my boat either.
concordtom
My grandmother died last year at 99. She was a great golden bear backer!!!!
The lady who cared for her in home for the past 15 years crossed the border illegally over a dozen times.
She has crawled thru sewage pipes in pitch dark, crossed in semis, crossed in the mountainous desert where its freezing at night. She has been caught and returned 2/3rds of her attempts. She has dreamer children in Pittsburg and drove her car to work in Lafayette. She changed my grandmother's diapers, washed laundry, got breakfast, took excellent care of her. She was a saint.

Dudes I hired off monument to help me with my landscaping have crossed in the hot desert sun, passing skeletons from those who died of dehydration. They have been robbed of all cash by their hired coyote. They live 10 people to a one bedroom and wire money back to family. They make way more by getting occasional jobs from guys like me who pull up and pick them up than they can down in Mexico.

I have travelled to Cabo, where my mom has a fancy place at Esperanza, where Obama stayed and where we saw Dwayne Wade. If you take the new toll road, you miss the shanties. If you drive thru the every man's town, San Jose Del Cabo, you understand how many Mexicans live.

We have far too many ignorant Americans.
Most of the world is poor.

I'm not saying we should have open borders. Let's just not be ignorant heartless aasholes.
concordtom
Look at the photos of his parents. Fine.
Look at the collection of medals. Those are a joke.

B.A. Bearacus

Anarchistbear
There is a crisis but the crisis is not illegals swarming across the border it is families- many just women and children- seeking asylum, largely from Central America . Under US law, these people can make their case to the US government. The problem is that the US government is doing every thing they can to not hear their case. The government rather than processing them wants to ban or defer asylum through fear. Most of these people are released not detained because the system can't handle them and nobody wants to provide resources to do so, nor can they detain children indefinitely.

So we have these migrants- poor and homeless- dumped into the country where nobody wants to address their claims and where there are no facilities to detain them and no promise of hearing their case.

There is no need for a wall; there is no need for a Democrat compromise of "securing our border". The border is secure. These people are walking into here. The crisis is a deranged, inefficient and heartless state.
bearister
"Ladies and gentleman, submitted for your consideration, one Donald J. tRump, a game show host and business fraud installed as the President of the United States."

B.A. Bearacus
Pitch perfect. Was one of my favorite shows growing up. Felt like I just watched a mini-episode in one post.
concordtom
Anarchistbear said:

There is no need for a wall; there is no need for a Democrat compromise of "securing our border". The border is secure. These people are walking into here. The crisis is a deranged, inefficient and heartless state.
The border is porous. As stated above, I know illegal people who've crossed many times.
But trump's proposal is a non-starter b/c it's more about emotion than closing the border.

I'm all good with discussing a plan to resolve the porous border. I am not okay with trump's lies, inability to discuss fact, and whipping up racist and xenophobic attitudes.
FuzzyWuzzy
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

The border is porous. As stated above, I know illegal people who've crossed many times.
But trump's proposal is a non-starter b/c it's more about emotion than closing the border.

I'm all good with discussing a plan to resolve the porous border. I am not okay with trump's lies, inability to discuss fact, and whipping up racist and xenophobic attitudes.
Our land borders and coastlines and airports should not be porous. Does anyone disagree with that? The first immigration discussion should be about how to make them non-porous. I'm against a wall on our land borders primarily because it's Trump's baby. I have personal contempt for the man and root for his political and personal misfortune. But if a wall is cost-effective, I recognize it is an irrational position to take.

The second discussion should be about which kinds of legal immigration should be allowed, and how much. We do benefit greatly from cheap labor, and also skilled labor. Should it be based on what kind of labor we need? Should it be based on how bad their life is in their home country (asylum/refugee)? Do we favor those who can walk to a border and submit an asylum claim? Only Canadians and Latin Americans can do that. What about relatives - parents, children, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, others?
Anarchistbear
concordtom said:

Anarchistbear said:

It's less porous than you think. The numbers of "classic" illegals- mostly singles- who crossed from Mexico seeking work has plummeted.going from 1.5 million in year 2000 to about 400.000 in 2018. Asylum seekers - mostly families not from Mexico- have gone from less than 10,000 to 120,000 per year in the same period. Currently there is a backlog of more than 750,000 people waiting for their cases to be heard making it by far the biggest burden on the system

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/border-asylum-claims/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c5fab9fa2322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.