cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,277,207 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
MiZery
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It seems that Shocky1 uses this thread to splooge
GameDay
The University of California, Berkeley - #4 in the world in a recent ranking of the "10 Universities with the Richest Alumni".

http://www.bankrate.com/lite/celebrity-money/universities-with-richest-alumni-5.aspx

UCLA, USC, Washington, Arizona, Oregon, etc.? Not to be found.
antipattern
MiZery;842330500 said:

You just noticed this on page 228?
Holmoephobic
Curegiver;842330562 said:

The University of California, Berkeley - #4 in the world in a recent ranking of the "10 Universities with the Richest Alumni".

http://www.bankrate.com/lite/celebrity-money/universities-with-richest-alumni-5.aspx

UCLA, USC, Washington, Arizona, Oregon, etc.? Not to be found.

Where are all of these rich alumni when we need them? It seems like the same couple of donors do the majority of the work. UCLA and USC seem to have far more mega-rich donors who give back. I'm not sure this is something we should be bragging about.
Shocky1
MiZery;842330500 said:

that's not what your gf told me when she drove me (again) to the golf course after yoga last week while you were at work
Cal8285
Shocky1;842329861 said:

. . . j told me during one of our rounds together that his final college list included kansas, arizona, ohio state & kentucky with the jayhawks probably the leader despite his never actually ever visiting lawrence...he started playing in informal pick up games at harmon organized by his friend monty buckley...j told me there was a defining epiphany like moment when walking thru a grove of trees near the creek north of harmon with his bb bag over his shoulder on a beautiful bay area afternoon that it all came together for him

kidd realized how much he loved his mom & dad and that he wanted to share his college experience with them...it was that simple in jk's mind-he never even made an official visit to cal, there was no need to do so

so j played in front of his mom & dad and friends at the #1 public university in the world before moving on to generate $200+m in nba earning before recently being named the hc for the brooklyn nets

i last saw j at whisper rock a yr ago & he told me that he's never regretted his time at cal...he cherishes the collegiate memories he shared with his parents, dad steve died in 1999 (real talk, our parents will not love live forever and our time with them is limited)
I would not be surprised in the least that Kidd told this story. I am a little surprised that there is an insider who buys this story lock, stock, and barrel.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Kidd himself believes this story. Tell a story enough times over the years, it becomes the truth. Not that there aren't grains of truth in there, but mom putting her foot down was more important than any other factor, not the story that Kidd really wants to tell.
MiZery
antipattern;842330594 said:

You just noticed this on page 228?

I hadn't opened this thread until this week
parentswerebears
MiZery;842330665 said:

I hadn't opened this thread until this week

Wow! You missed a lot.
Shocky1

rooks was injured a couple of weeks ago but the coaching staff did not publicly discuss this setback until he successfully underwent surgery to repair a tear to the anterior cruciate ligament to his left leg this week

but no worries, k(rooks) monster class teammates are gonna go to all the x ray & medical appointments with him

cal family#
dumb & dumber#
Shocky1
is this ricky kreklow's little bro?...no, it's cole welle, a 6'8" two sport (+volleyball) stud from aptos hs who will be a recruited walk on at cal next season...cole picked cal over uc santa barbara

welle scored 22 ppg with 12 rpg for the 22-6 bb team & also starred as right side hitter for the mariners volleyball team

"i am beyond any words for how excited i am to play pac 12 basketball...i have always dreamed of playing in the pac 12 and it is such an honor to be going to such an elite school for both academics and athletics"

his dad, tom welle, has done multiple surgeries on pete newell....with a 4.378 weighted gpa, cole will studying pre med at cal

cole welle ain't a dumb azz

beach baby

cole welle is gonna makes waves in berkeley

cal family#

bears incoming walk ons biggie cole welle & guards nick hamilton and brenden glapion have gotta get themselves ready for potential pt this season with only 9 healthy scholly bears suiting up for games
HoopDreams
HoopDreams
Congratulations to [COLOR="Blue"]Jenna[/COLOR], and the Cal Dance Team for winning the Sports Illustrated Cheerleaders of the Week

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]California. Represent.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
como tele vous?

as we celebrate our summer euro holiday at my favorite hotel in the world (george v in paris) during fashion week, i cannot help but reflect this 4 july 2014 upon the magnificent opportunities we enjoy in the united states because of the bravery of those who fight for our freedom

2 true american heroes=former cal rugby player mark bingham & todd beamer

both bingham & beamer were aboard united flight #93 that was taken over by terrorists when via phone calls they realized that terrorists were using the planes as weapons of mass destruction against the american people

bingham & beamer led the charge that resulted in the terrorists being killed in flight & the pilotless plane crashing in a field in shanksville, penn instead of the world trade center buildings or pentagon thereby saving thousands of additional innocent lives

bingham was a true golden bear to the end, thinking of others instead of his own fate...this is a cal guy who years earlier was gored running with the bulls in pamplona, spain

don't forget our heroes

mark bingham: 22 may 1970-11 september 2001
rip mb

heroes#
lets roll#
summer breezes#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842330879 said:

como tele vous?

Et comment allez vous, Shocky1?
ayetee11
HoopDreams;842330849 said:

Congratulations to [COLOR="Blue"]Jenna[/COLOR], and the Cal Dance Team for winning the Sports Illustrated Cheerleaders of the Week

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]California. Represent.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

She must do a lot of community service because I can't see any other reason why they wouldn't choose an Oregon cheerleader
Shocky1
welcome san francisco native brenden glapion, a 6'3" 185 lbs combo guard walk on, to the california golden bears basketball family

glapion was the san francisco city league mvp of the year in 2011 with 23 ppg, 3 rpg & 2.4 apg for the washington eagles

brenden redshirted as a preferred walk on at seattle university...he then played the last 2 seasons at consumnes river jc with an almost 10 ppg this yr

with a 4.1 hs gpa, a 4.0 gpa at jc & an interest in economics and potentially law, he ain't a dumb azz

brenden glapion & stephen domingo=cable car ballers

sitting on the dock#
cal family#
Shocky1
Dear Shockey,

How are you?

I am fine.

See, I told you that this misunderstanding would be forgotten in a couple of weeks. At the end of the day all our fans really care about is winning basketball games. How that happens doesn't really mean **** to them.

But this John Canzano is a real pain in the butt. All he talks about is the 41 guys who left the program without a degree, does he ever point out that NONE of my players have ever killed anyone? Of course not.

This Ahmud Rory recruitment has been a real pain in the butt. He's really, really smart and keeps asking these endless questions about majors, academic resources and garbage like that.

Sure, I keep smiling at him the whole time but I'm thinking, "Dude, do I look like a school counselor to you? I'm a freakin' basketball coach." Sure is less complicated recruiting our usual stoopid 2.5 hs gpa ballers who just want to see the tricked out lockers and uniforms.

More importantly, can you get here for the ECC Member/Guest Tournament? I dunno, we could test drive some Porsches at the dealership and maybe burn rubber down to the Medferd truck stop you like to joke about.

See, Shock, I gotta sense of humor too.

-Dana

Dear Shockey,

How are you?

I am fine.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hert me.

I am NOT a kriminal, I am just misunderstood.

You seriesely need to grow up

-Dana

Dear Shockey,

How are you?

I am fine.

My faverite color is green.

But you already new that.

-Dana
Shocky1
the bears staff are actively targeting 2014 6'3" 175 lbs top 60 relentlessly attacking guard malik beasley from st francis near atlanta & a baller with the georgia stars aau team this summer...beasley is explosive in slashing to the basket & is working to expand his 3 pts shot...malik is a good student

the alpharetta georgia grinder led his hs team to a state championship title with 23 ppg & 8.6 rpg...malik currently has 40+ high major d1 offers including the bears in large part to his longtime relationship with yanni

malik considers his dad michael (a professional actor) the key person in his bb development...michael started his son playing bb at age 2 & played overseas in chile, puerto rico and the dominican republic

the key question is mb's recruitment is distance, is malik truly interested in a world class education with a family focused coaching staff in sunny california?

million $ question#
cal family#
Shocky1

guten tag

just finished a yoga class at the park hyatt in hamburg germany

didn't understand much of the verbal directions in & out of poses, just followed the teacher & my classmates

at the end of the class, went up to the pretty brunette yoga teacher and said "namaste and go bears"

she smiled at me brightly & replied, "namaste eh guh behrs"

auf wiedersehen

shocky got marbles#
building the cal fan base#
gold standard#

Shocky1
when you participate in the bears bb crowd experience in person at haas, you are creating energy for the team & generating revenue $ for the bb program

one of the worst things a parent can do is model electronically related passivity towards their passions & life in general to their children...being a cal tv fan is a terrible way to waste your life

so forget all your sorry broken down azz excuses & call the cal ato at 1-800-gobears to discuss a season tix pkg that fits your schedule & budget

roar a little bit

Shocky1
a couple of observations from sitting on the floor of haas vs fresno state:

***james harden's ferret faced bodyguard stood directly behind him with his hands firmly placed on the back of harden's folding chair during the game & made threatening gestures to everyone in the vicinity...so i walked over to mr ferret face & said "nice job keeping those perps away from james" gesturing at the little kids waiting to get moses's autograph (did not see harden honor a single fan request/autograph)...steroid boy looked over to see who i was talking about & then gave me his best stallone menacing look when he realized i was giving him crap...to make sure he got the point, as i walked back to my seat i said, "hey, nice balco jacket, pal"

harden should spend more of his $78.78m 5 yr contract on youth community activities and less on douche bag bodyguards

***screaming from the rooftops, helped the rally committee jinx arguably the worst free throw shooter in d1 basketball, karachi edo of fresno state

***checked out the assets of the cal dance team...i behaved myself & did not fold up any dollar bills for them

***pissed off the pac 12 network cameraman by jumping out of my seat every 38 seconds to yell about something thereby blocking his camera's view of the game (he moved to a different spot 5 minutes into the game after the director in the truck probably told him that half of his footage was of my butt)

***went over to the cal band conductor & respectfully asked him if they were going to play m83's "midnight city"...he seemed surprised by my request & politely said "no"... i asked him if he could play it for me & that it's currently my favorite song...so the cal band rocked "midnight city" during the next timeout to the sing along excitement of the shockster

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=midnight+city+concert+footage+m83&qpvt=midnight+city+concert+footage+m83&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=4951AC5C3E8490F1767D4951AC5C3E8490F1767D

isn't the cal band supposed to play our requested songs like the piano guy at the bevery hills hotel's polo lounge?...i dunno, maybe the cal band needs a tip jar or something

next time i'm gonna ask the cal band to play bay area's indie group, the limousines "we are very busy people"
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+limousines+we+are+very+busy+people&qpvt=the+limousines+we+are+very+busy+people&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=562866E831FE45E6A4C5562866E831FE45E6A4C5

there were 9342 fans having fun at haas, where were you?

cal family#
the magic of haas#
cal band is great#

celebrating the magic of haas is a quite a bit different experience than sitting on your broken down azz in front of a tv watching cal bb

when are you gonna get season tixs?

the time is now#
Shocky1

"one thing that really struck out when the new staff came in was that they all really wanted to try to get to know us...i got calls from all the coaches multiple times saying, "hey, what's up, what's going on?"...asking about how finals were going and how our workouts were going and all"

"that was good to get strong communication and positive reinforcement going right away and knowing that they're for us...that's one thing that i really like about this staff, how they're always communicating with us"

"coach martin has said multiple times that he wants everyone to be multi-faceted on the floor...he wants us to be able to score and rebound and pass...i really think he's going to develop our all around games well, not just to score but to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim or to be able to shoot outside"

"the workouts we've had so far have been really intense...that stuff's just going to really help with our conditioning and our ability to go to the rim and finish strong"

-christian behrens (to jim mcgill)
KoreAmBear
Christian is going to have to be an X factor out there, or we are in big trouble up front. Only so much that Kravish can do. But guards/wings like Ty, Singer and Bird are going to have to help out with rebounding too, like how Crabbe used to do.
Shocky1
official welcome to coach jon harris to the bears staff

calfiornia dreamin' shout out to jon, wife heidi (former marquette 1000 pt scorer) & children leah, hailey & jaxson

kinda wondering if heidi can beat jon at a game of horse...would the kids root for mom or dad in that game?...hmmmmm.................

http://m.theintelligencer.com/mobile/local_sports/article_2a823508-06b6-11e4-9644-0019bb2963f4.html

cal family#
Shocky1
who are these california golden bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (currently playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
jeff powers*-3.6 gpa@delasalle
ricky kreklow**-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
christian behrens-3.5 gpa@tahoma
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
kingsley okoroh-3.0+ gpa@westwind prep/findlay prep
stephen domingo-3.4 gpa@st ignatius
brandon chauca-3.85 gpa@shannon forest christian school
cole welle-4.37 gpa@aptos
nick hamilton-4.2 gpa@westchester
brenden glapion-4.1 gpa@washington

*graduated from cal joining 2012 grads bak bak, brandon smith & robert thurman
**expected to graduate summer of 2014

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate...both justin cobbs & richard solomon have one remaining semester of schoolwork necessary to earn their cal degrees

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

the above is the MOST IMPORTANT stat sheet in cal basketball

cal family#
50 yr decision#
this is cal basketball#

this is the difference between basketball factories that use up & then discard their workers (leaving them unemployable on the streets) and legitimate collegiate institutions of higher learning with an academic purpose

academic ambition

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
ccajon
south bender;842329107 said:

Have you any basis in fact for imagining your targets actually read your posts?

And if they do, you sure insult them with some of your tasteless and repetitive posts!

Go Bears!

Agree wholeheartedly. This thread is long past it's expiration date.
NVGolfingBear
ccajon;842332399 said:

Agree wholeheartedly. This thread is long past it's expiration date.

Just curious, why do you continue to read this thread?
south bender
NVGolfingBear;842332419 said:

Just curious, why do you continue to read this thread?

Because on rare occasions, Shocky has a good post, that deals with basketball information, rather than his shallow, sexist, and narcissistic weltanschauung.

Also, others occasionally have interesting basketball related information here.

Go Bears!
the Shockster is a "tweener"

he's not an "insider"............but has a great selection of photos.
Shocky1
it is clear from reader feedback from my non intended targeted market segment that a small % of cal's sr citizen fan base like ccajon, south bender & 1947 do not feel that this thread is successfully meeting their needs during their golden yrs

therefore there will be more content directed at these longtime california golden bears fans effective immediately...please accept my most sincere apologies

the gold standard#
south bender
Shocky1;842332497 said:

it is clear from reader feedback from my non intended targeted market segment that a small % of cal's sr citizen fan base like ccajon, south bender & 1947 do not feel that this thread is successfully meeting their needs during their golden yrs

therefore there will be more content directed at these longtime california golden bears fans effective immediately...please accept my most sincere apologies

the gold standard#

Shock, you are so funny I forgot to laugh!

Go Bears!
BeachedBear
Who took that picture?

How did Shocky get a copy?

Why did he have to post it?

How can I ever UNsee that?

:headbang
socaltownie
Said it before, will say it again - if we are going to criticize and, in some cases, sanction young men for actions which are the outgrowth of objectifying women (BTW, we should) then we should as older (if not more mature) adults not feed into that problem. I would think especially an issue given the challenges universities (including Cal) currently face in respect to sexual assaults on campus.

And no....the fact that such pictures are appealing to 17 year olds is NOT an excuse. The thread would be fine without the cheese cake (though Shockies unabashed bragging wears thin but that is more his problem than ours)..
Shocky1

"i really like the new staff a lot...they made it really easy for us in the transition...they were very welcoming and just really helped immediately with jumped in with the skill work and were just really engaged, letting us know that they were there for us"

"they watched tape on all of us before starting to work with us...for me, they want me to shoot the ball the same way every time so i can develop more consistency...they also want me to improve my handle and get us in the best physical condition we can be in because coach martin's style is up tempo and high intensity"

-jordan mathews (to jim mcgill)

workin' out ain't fancy
Shocky1
socaltownie;842332611 said:

Said it before, will say it again - if we are going to criticize and, in some cases, sanction young men for actions which are the outgrowth of objectifying women (BTW, we should) then we should as older (if not more mature) adults not feed into that problem. I would think especially an issue given the challenges universities (including Cal) currently face in respect to sexual assaults on campus.

And no....the fact that such pictures are appealing to 17 year olds is NOT an excuse. The thread would be fine without the cheese cake (though Shockies unabashed bragging wears thin but that is more his problem than ours)..

you mean like this one?

don't be a dumb azz#
First Page Last Page
Page 98 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.