cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,279,484 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
do you got your tix(s) for tomorrow's wednesday nite game vs incarnate word at 8:00 pm at haas pavilion ?

tixs are as low as 20 bucks (15 bucks for kids & seniors), are you gonna share in the magic of cal basketball?

Shocky1

incarnate word's 3-3 record this season is deceptive as the losses have all been on the road to #7 ranked oklahoma, #21 ranked purdue & a talented/underrated (just ask bearmanpg) sacramento state that defeated asu in the season opener...the cardinals (the university is located in san antonio) have definitely played a tougher schedule than the bears at this point

incarnate word is led by 6'1" 188 lbs jontrell walker (15.2 ppg), 6'5" 210 lbs kyle hittle (12.3 ppg), 6'5" 200 lbs sam burmeister (10.0 ppg), 5'10" 175 lbs facilitator samuel badillo (9.3 ppg & 5.3 apg) & 6'7" 215 lbs derail green (9.3 ppg & 4.7 rpg)

the cardinals are deep, skilled but vertically challenged with the cards 2 tallest players 6'11" 215 lbs jerrid kite & 6'8" 215 lbs tavin askew both averaging only 8.5 mpg, they got no answer for young ivee...who knows about them assist/passing challenged california golden bears but if the bears stubbornly feed rabb, ivan could score 30+ points tonite...or the bears could just pointlessly pass the ball around the perimeter against the zone & then jack up contested 3 pointers as the 30 second clock winds down all nite

it should also be pointed out that the candy azz soft bears are tied for #342 in the nation in forcing turnovers with 9.25 per game out of 346 d1 schools...let's be real here, that's not much defensive pressure, can the bears take the ball away tonite?

are you gonna be in the haas tonite to create energy for them bears?

let's do this
BoaltBear
I will be there in row CC behind the basket hoping to see some Ivan Rabb monster jams. Not contested threes clanging off the iron. Go Dragons.
bearmanpg
This is NOT the zoo.....FEED THE BEARS....especially the Bear with the number 1 on his chest.....feed the post...Ivan will show you the way to the promise land.....they will not be able to keep him off the low block....but I would like to see him get the ball at the elbow and deal from there....either way, Ivan needs at least 25 touches tonight....touches are good things when it's Ivan doing the touching.....
Shocky1
let's be real here, miss paddlebrooks a 63 year old recess monitor with a bum hip at montera (somebody tell jeff faraudo how to spell it rite) middle school in oakland has taken away more basketballs (after the lunch hour) than them sorry broken down candy azz soft california golden bears during the last 30 days, ok?

kinda wish some of them current bears had more of a **** you up attitude like miss paddlebrooks & tyson jolly, they will knock you on your azz & take that basketball every time

candy azz soft#
Shocky1
6'4" 320 lbs offensive lineman dwayne wallace from riverside community college just made a commitment to the cal football program

anyways dwayne is on his official visit to berkeley last weekend & taking a tour of the campus when he spots marshawn at the women's basketball game at haas pavilion, he's pretty excited re: this celebrity sighting

so wallace asks lynch for a foto or selfie or something of the two of them

beast mode is friendly but tells him "no thanks, i'm straight"

BoaltBear
[video=youtube_share;h4UqMyldS7Q][/video]

Got the W. Took my moms to the game. Yeah, today was a good day.
Shocky1
1st half

2nd half

left to right, jabari "let it fly" bird, jaylen "human windmill" brown, tyrone "where's my girlfriend?" wallace, ivan "the dragon" rabb & jordan "mrs creasy" mathews

kinda an out of rhythm nite, something & maybe everything was lost in translation...i requested my normal 2 water bottles to be delivered before tip off, the server brought them 20 minutes before the game

cal fans did not represent, there were 9,342 tixs sold which is a big # for a wednesday nite match up with a non marquee opponent but not everybody showed up & those that did were pretty much mute...the guys behind me never yelled about anything except when i'm on my pogo stick blocking their views, sorry guys

incarnate word is a well coached undersized average athletic team, they are not syracuse defensively yet the bears still had 19 mentally weak/non disciplined turnovers

the bears attempted to look for young ivee more than in past games but rabb still only got 6 shots, ivan made 5 of them...he's the most underutilized premiere post player in college basketball...i've been told by sources more reliable than oski (who was a no show, is he/she still in rehab?") that facilitating ivan is a key area of focus during practices

we got guys that can shoot the basketball yet we inexplicably only capitalized on 12 of 22 free throws, that will be fatal against better teams

cal has so much to play for this season yet incarnate word got most of the 50/50 balls, cal was not the aggressor until the final 5 minutes tonite kinda like the wyoming game...with the game on the line the bench finally got off their azzs & got their teammates amped up for the kill

nobody on the team is probably thrilled with the squad's play but it's still a victory, sometimes you gotta grind it out even when the piano isn't tuned...at least this game wasn't played out & translated in foreign subtitles...but it kinda felt that way

forward & onward

ugly azz work in progress#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;NfPYWZh5VPw][/video]
parentswerebears
This seems to be the mo for this group of guys. It seems like they aren't having fun. It's sad to see. They seem like amazing human beings, they work really hard, but get in their own heads during games and it's just no fun after that. I am still stoked to get to go to two games and I will probably be screaming my head off while I'm there.
Big C
Shocky1;842614263 said:

1st half

2nd half

left to right, jabari "let it fly" bird, jaylen "human windmill" brown, tyrone "where's my girlfriend?" wallace, ivan "the dragon" rabb & jordan "mrs creasy" mathews

kinda an out of rhythm nite, something & maybe everything was lost in translation...i requested my normal 2 water bottles to be delivered before tip off, the server brought them 20 minutes before the game

cal fans did not represent, there were 9,342 tixs sold which is a big # for a wednesday nite match up with a non marquee opponent but not everybody showed up & those that did were pretty much mute...the guys behind me never yelled about anything except when i'm on my pogo stick blocking their views, sorry guys

incarnate word is a well coached undersized average athletic team, they are not syracuse defensively yet the bears still had 19 mentally weak/non disciplined turnovers

the bears attempted to look for young ivee more than in past games but rabb still only got 6 shots, ivan made 5 of them...he's the most underutilized premiere post player in college basketball...i've been told by sources more reliable than oski (who was a no show, is he/she still in rehab?") that facilitating ivan is a key area of focus during practices

we got guys that can shoot the basketball yet we inexplicably only capitalized on 12 of 22 free throws, that will be fatal against better teams

cal has so much to play for this season yet incarnate word got most of the 50/50 balls, cal was not the aggressor until the final 5 minutes tonite kinda like the wyoming game...with the game on the line the bench finally got off their azzs & got their teammates amped up for the kill

nobody on the team is probably thrilled with the squad's play but it's still a victory, sometimes you gotta grind it out even when the piano isn't tuned...at least this game wasn't played out & translated in foreign subtitles...but it kinda felt that way

forward & onward

ugly azz work in progress#

Oski was there (blue sweater tonight)...must've spent 1/3 of the game in my section. I guess he heard I was bringing my cute lil' daughter. No way! With an 8:00 tip off, I had to bring my much-less-cute father-in-law.

Bears couldn't shoot from the arc or the charity stripe tonight. That weakness looks like it'll hang around and fester for a while. We are also going on how many years now without any power in our power forward? Right now, we are a team without an identy or defining feature. 5 players with at least 12 pts though...
south bender
Big C_Cal;842614276 said:

Oski was there (blue sweater tonight)...must've spent 1/3 of the game in my section. I guess he heard I was bringing my cute lil' daughter. No way! With an 8:00 tip off, I had to bring my much-less-cute father-in-law.

Bears couldn't shoot from the arc or the charity stripe tonight. That weakness looks like it'll hang around and fester for a while. We are also going on how many years now without any power in our power forward? Right now, we are a team without a personality or defining feature. 5 players with at least 12 pts though...

I would say this team's defining feature is Wallace's dominating the late stages of the game driving craftily and largely successfully to the basket.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842613886 said:

let's be real here, miss paddlebrooks a 63 year old recess monitor with a bum hip at montera (somebody tell jeff faraudo how to spell it rite) middle school in oakland has taken away more basketballs (after the lunch hour) than them sorry broken down candy azz soft california golden bears during the last 30 days, ok?

kinda wish some of them current bears had more of a **** you up attitude like miss paddlebrooks & tyson jolly, they will knock you on your azz & take that basketball every time

tied for 342nd in the nation in forcing turnovers#

bad news: the bears only forced a well coached but average athletic incarnate word team into 8 turnovers last nite

good news: the bears are getting closer to becoming the #1 ranked team in d1 basketball for forcing the least amount of turnovers...hopefully the guys will continue to not strip dribblers of the ball, anticipate wayward passes, aggressively fight for 50/50 loose balls & my favorite literally just ******* taking the ball from the other guy because you want it so much more badly than him so we can win outright this title, then we can go to coach martin's house for a big party and feast on tasty brownies with triple scoops of sherbert ice cream with fuschia sprinkles & raspberry lemonade from fentons and then take naps with comfy blankets while watching finding nemo...i dunno maybe we could have a sleepover too or something in our striped pjs

candy azz soft#
watermelon
Shocky1;842614317 said:

bad news: the bears only forced a well coach...

I doubt many opponents say that about cuonzo. this team seemingly gets outcoached every game. and shocky, before you try your typical candy azz soft critiques with me, I was at the game, brought extra people, and we yelled.
Shocky1
[video=youtube;2L5dbynL9Ns][/video]
Shocky1
"we gotta play with more swag"
-jabari "no excuses" bird

[video=youtube;vdeMUrjIsB8][/video]
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842614449 said:

"we gotta play with more swag"
-jabari "no excuses" bird

[video=youtube;vdeMUrjIsB8][/video]

Talk is cheap. Now it's time to come out with more swag. They know what they need to do. Just time to execute.
Shocky1
watermelon;842614326 said:

I doubt many opponents say that about cuonzo. this team seemingly gets outcoached every game. and shocky, before you try your typical candy azz soft critiques with me, I was at the game, brought extra people, and we yelled.

your definition of creating energy & yelling might be different that mine, thought i was at the western region chess masters tournament it was so quiet, cal fans gotta raise their games & rumble the roof off haas, not sit on their hands

please say hello to me & my daughter shay next saturday as haas pavilion, curious if you're gonna be wearing arizona wildcat gear
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842614452 said:

Talk is cheap. Now it's time to come out with more swag. They know what they need to do. Just time to execute.

agreed that talk is cheap, are you gonna do your part & represent at haas pavilion this saturday vs undefeated (one of only 13 teams in the nation) st marys which has a huge grudge on their shoulder against their pac 12 bay area neighbor?
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842614273 said:

This seems to be the mo for this group of guys. It seems like they aren't having fun. It's sad to see. They seem like amazing human beings, they work really hard, but get in their own heads during games and it's just no fun after that. I am still stoked to get to go to two games and I will probably be screaming my head off while I'm there.

measuring fun is subjective, the guys were definitely having fun at the end of the wyoming game in hostile laramie when everybody was screaming & out of their chairs physically & emotionally engaged in the moment (i'm that way 24/7)...yeah my boy nick hamilton was doing the victory crab leg dance with knees bowed & fists pumping while screaming from the rooftops

i would like to see the players, coaches & staff more ******* loud, sometimes the only voice i hear other than myself is coach martin...i dunno, maybe he told everybody to shut the **** up or so he can think or something

basketball like life is an emotional deal, celebrate that fact & let's enjoy this adventure together...i can't live, i can't breathe unless you do this with me

lose the stoic fake model look#

parentswerebears
Shocky1;842614466 said:

agreed that talk is cheap, are you gonna do your part & represent at haas pavilion this saturday vs undefeated (one of only 13 teams in the nation) st marys which has a huge grudge on their shoulder against their pac 12 bay area neighbor?

Unfortunately no. I've got a prior engagement that I can't get out of, but i am bringing reinforcements for Davidson.
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842614479 said:

Unfortunately no. I've got a prior engagement that I can't get out of, but i am bringing reinforcements for Davidson.

muy bueno, let's say hi on december 28th

too bad marco harris didn't schedule the game for the 27th or 29th when davidson superstar steph curry wasn't playing in the league or at least a noon game on the 28th

details#
Jeff82
I'm going to guess that practice today won't be a fun affair. If I'm Martin, I'm pretty pissed at the lack of intensity, and the lack of focus Wednesday, particularly on defense. If we play like that Saturday, it'll be a blowout, which would be bad news with a marquee Bay Area opponent at home. I'm guessing Martin may follow the advice of Crash Davis ("they're kids, scare them") to try and get them motivated.
Shocky1
south bender;842614288 said:

I would say this team's defining feature is Wallace's dominating the late stages of the game driving craftily and largely successfully to the basket.

agreed that's now but as this team matures & facilitates each other i envision the bears with t-wall, jaylen & young ivee scoring/attacking the basket at will for close range damage with opponents collapsing on them opening up wide open uncontested 3 pointers by jordan & jabari along with an unstoppable fast break/run outs for thunderous slam dunks, that's gonna be an offense for the ages

the power of visualization#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842614848 said:

agreed that's now but as this team matures & facilitates each other i envision the bears with t-wall, jaylen & young ivee scoring/attacking the basket at will for close range damage with opponents collapsing on them opening up wide open uncontested 3 pointers by jordan & jabari along with an unstoppable fast break/run outs for thunderous slam dunks, that's gonna be an offense for the ages

the power of visualization#

the biggest surprise this season has been the team's willingness to settle for contested 3 pointers instead of pounding the ball inside and/or attacking the basket

let's be real here, this team's skill set strength is not 3 point shooting, the team is only making 32% of 3 pointers which is pretty mediocre

i really don't want to hear coach martin repeat multiple times after losses this season that "sometimes the shots don't go in" that's why we lost...if we settle for contested 3 pointers we're gonna hear that **** a lot...if we pound the ball inside & attack the basket with our uniquely gifted talent we're gonna shoot for a high percentage every nite & control our destiny

and much more importantly, my boyz brenden, nick1, cole & nick2 are gonna see the floor & compete too

is this gonna be a special season in berkeley or is this gonna be the saddest show on earth?

oskidunker
Chauca could be the secret weapon when Matthews and Bird get cold. Play a zone and let him light it up!
NVBear78
Shocky1;842614930 said:

the biggest surprise this season has been the team's willingness to settle for contested 3 pointers instead of pounding the ball inside and/or attacking the basket

let's be real here, this team's skill set strength is not 3 point shooting, the team is only making 32% of 3 pointers which is pretty mediocre

i really don't want to hear coach martin repeat multiple times after losses this season that "sometimes the shots don't go in" that's why we lost...if we settle for contested 3 pointers we're gonna hear that **** a lot...if we pound the ball inside & attack the basket with our uniquely gifted talent we're gonna shoot for a high percentage every nite & control our destiny

and much more importantly, my boyz brenden, nick1, cole & nick2 are gonna see the floor & compete too

is this gonna be a special season in berkeley or is this gonna be the saddest show on earth?

Shocky, Agree about getting more shots in the key but we had 19 turnovers last night and a boatload came on attempted passes to Rabb and other bigs. Some of the passes were lazy/careless but many were forced and easily picked off.

Its up to this coaching staff to teach and scheme waysto effectively feed the post. That is what scares me most about the season, I see no evidence of improvement even though we've been zoned much of the last 5 games.

It makes me nervous when I hear a coach say he is all about focusing on defense, because offense depends so much on execution and much can be accomplished defensively through effort and hustle.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842612877 said:

it's kinda like lou richie told me "when ivan touches the ball, good things happen"

https://vimeo.com/45797764

the time is now#

are the bears improving in feeding young ivee down low in the blocks where he can do severe & permanent damage to opponents, are the coaches scheming to put him in opportunities to successfully develop, are his teammates decisively passing him the ball when he successfully flashes open, is ivan posting up strong & a presenting wide target?

note: many of ivan's shots are putbacks on offensive rebounds, that's individual effort not the bears feeding him

rice: 6 out of 8 field goals, 7 offensive boards (13 rebounds total), 2 out of 2 free throws, 14 points
santa barbara: 1 out of 3 field goals, 0 offensive boards (3 rebounds total) 10 out of 10 free throws, 12 points
east carolina: 5 out of 7 field goals, 6 offensive boards (13 rebounds total), 4 out of 6 free throws, 14 points
sam houston: 4 out of 8 field goals, 1 offensive board (5 rebounds), no free throws, 8 points
san diego state: 7 out of 10 field goals, 4 offensive boards (9 rebounds), 4 out of 6 free throws, 18 points
richmond: 6 out of 9 field goals, 3 offensive boards (6 rebounds), 1 out of 3 free throws, 13 points
east carolina: 5 out of 7 field goals, 7 offensive boards (13 rebounds), 4 out of 6 free throws, 14 points
wyoming: 5 out of 5 field goals, 1 offensive board (5 rebounds), 3 out of 3 free throws, 13 points
incarnate word: 5 out of 6 field goals, 2 offensive boards (11 rebounds), 2 of 5 free throws, 12 points

on the season rabb is averaging 12.4 ppg on an amazingly efficient 68.3% & 74.3% on free throws along with 8.2 rpg

yeah, kinda think lou is right
HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1;842582660 said:

team: washington state cougars

shockster 2015/2016 pac 12 prediction: 12th place (last place)

coach: ernie "donor lover" kent

what you need to know about kent: ernie got pushed out the door in eugene for having an affair with the married wife of a major donor (not phil knight)...at an academically mediocre school like oregon you can recruit low character basketball players with criminal records who got low gpas that aren't interested in graduating with a degree that ultimately rape female students on campus & that won't get you fired (just ask altman) but if you bang the wife of someone important to the athletic department, you're done baby, pack your **** & get out of town

what up in pullman?: the cougars best player davonte lacy (team high 16.9 ppg) along with bears killer jordan railey (the catalyst for the cougs upset victory in berkeley on january 4th with 17 points) & starting wing dexter dexter kernich-drew are gone...returning junior josh hawkenson (14.7 pgg & 10.8 rpg) & junior ike iroegbu (team high 3.4 apg & 8.9 ppg) won't got get much support this season

what this means for the bears: if the bears hibernate & don't take them cougs seriously, they will lose another ******* game to wsu...that would truly be a shame

my niece bailey doing a selfie with klay thompson at haas this season, dude is bailey's favorite golden state warrior

i dunno klay thompson isn't even my favorite washington state cougar, it's really not even close

cougs lose their 2nd game of the season on the road 78-74 to them idaho vandals
Shocky1
cal sold 9,324 tickets for a weeknight game vs a non marquee opponent in incarnate word, that's remarkable...not everybody showed up & a lot of those that did sat on their hands too much instead of ******* yelling their azzs off

cal is building an elite championship basketball program with coach martin & his staff, the 1st step is recruiting 5 star future nba players, that's happening right now

the next step is the development of those players & that's not gonna happen overnight but it's truly fascinating to watch for those true california golden bears fans, the fans that actually go all the games at haas pavilion to celebrate the magic of cal basketball

if you're just sitting on your sorry broken down azz eating glazed donuts with fuschia sprinkles on your sofa watching the idiot box, you are not doing your part in creating the much needed energy on gamedays or revenue dollars to build a championship program

this saturday the bears plays undefeated (one of only 13 teams in the nation) st marys at haas pavilion at 12:30 pm, are you gonna be there for the bay area battle?...a near sell out is projected but tickets are still available for as little as 20 bucks and only 15 bucks for kids & old people

we're off to the races & yeah there's gonna be some muddy days at the racetrack along the way, that's part of the deal

this is cal basketball#
Bobodeluxe
"Tickets sold" is nice, but people in the Haas is better, especially if you consider that well over a thousand of the increased "attendance" is due to nearly free, student passes. Even they don't show up.

There are nice promotions going on recently to attract casual fans to all IA events, but it will take time.

A few BIG wins would help.

Chicken, meet egg.
BeachedBear
On Wednesday night there were maybe 300 students in attendance. Even the straw hat band was down-tempo. Must have been dead week. I've also noticed the 8pm tip-off seems deader than a 7pm tip-off. I wouldn't have thought 60 minutes made that much difference, but it is palpable at HAAS. It could be the overall building malaise, or the time of the year....
Jeff82
Shocky1;842614930 said:

When Martin says that, he sounds like Ben "We just need to knock down some shots" Braun. To be fair, you're never going to get the knee-to-the-nuts assessments of the team's performance from Martin that you got from Monty. He's from a different era, and has a different approach to relating to his players. But it would be nice to get a bit more penetrating analysis of how they're trying to fix what we see on the court.
Shocky1
tyson jolly is being coached up as a combo at both the point/wing & building strength along with academic skills development at elev8 in delray beach, florida...the cal staff is tight with elev8 & it will be interesting to see if cal commit (class of 2017) alec hickman also attends elev8

trust me, tyson's **** you up mentality is gonna be a positive chemistry addition to the california golden bears basketball program

"i just want to put all my family in a position to be successful!!"
-tyson jolly

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including 25th street in oklahoma city)
First Page Last Page
Page 252 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.