USC/UCLA supposedly moving to Big Ten

83,627 Views | 746 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Dog
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DiabloWags said:

The Clowns that passed on the 12 team playoff, no longer have a seat at the table.
Still amazed we voted against that.
calumnus
Larno said:

fat_slice said:

bluehenbear said:

Meanwhile our AD has his thumb up his bum and is hiring law firms. When will we hear from him about this or does he need to hire a PR firm first.

Knowlton has been twiddling his thumbs ever since he got here. 100% he got blindsided by this and we are now seeing the end of Cal football. Interest in the upcoming season is now lost for me.

What a waste of space Knowlton and Christ are. Never heard one iota of innovative or proactive thinking from their end. Always reactionary and their reactive decisions have been absolutely poor with their only impact to further lower our reputation.
All of the AD's and the conference were blindsided by this. Christ has been more supportive of Cal athletics than any chancellor in decades. I have no knowledge of what goes on in the AD's office, as I suspect is the case for 99.8% of Bear Insider posters.

She might be "supportive" but she hired and extended Knowlton who is in way over his head and doesn't have the background, knowledge, smarts, vision or hutzpah needed to lead Cal at this critical time in college sports.
calumnus
sycasey said:

DiabloWags said:

The Clowns that passed on the 12 team playoff, no longer have a seat at the table.
Still amazed we voted against that.

So dumb
movielover
Is it true the Pac 12 Comiss was vacationing in Montana, celebrating his one-year anniversary, while this went down?
Bobodeluxe
No. He was in Italy with Montana's governor.
BigDaddy
sycasey said:

eastcoastcal said:

WELP

This is directly at odds with what the LA Times guy said, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Kartje is getting his info from directly inside the USC AD. Could be true, could be providing cover for Oregon and UDub to get their ducks in a row inside their own states, separating from Wazzu and OSU, etc.

Have to think Nike will get Oregon a seat at the table.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Alkiadt
fat_slice said:

I feel bad for Wilcox - turned the Oregon job down and now he's stuck in piddly-dink pac-10 (or 8). He will def leave after this year.

Oregon is no better off than Cal at this point.
CaliforniaEternal
Cal/furd need to go all out and join the SEC. The Big 10 is weak and their weather in late fall sucks.
mouseandcat
i was being sarcastic.

yes instead of all this, just merge pac12 and big10. everyone keeps their rivalries, rose bowl for conference championship.

huge academic presence. dominate the olympic sports, not just football and basketball. create a huge media company, content for days. make the sec a conference just for football. ncaa sports landscape would be very similar what it is now but larger.
calumnus
BigDaddy said:

sycasey said:

eastcoastcal said:

WELP

This is directly at odds with what the LA Times guy said, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Kartje is getting his info from directly inside the USC AD. Could be true, could be providing cover for Oregon and UDub to get their ducks in a row inside their own states, separating from Wazzu and OSU, etc.

Have to think Nike will get Oregon a seat at the table.

With USC and UCLA the B1G is at 16. Word is they want to get to 20. Oregon, UW will fight for 2 spots. Cal and Stanford need to fight for the other 2. That gives the B1G LA, Bay Area, Portland and Seattle.

Utah, Colorado, Arizona and ASU to the B12, OSzu and WSU to the MWC.

Or something like that.

Alkiadt
mouseandcat said:

i was being sarcastic.

yes instead of all this, just merge pac12 and big10. everyone keeps their rivalries, rose bowl for conference championship.

huge academic presence. dominate the olympic sports, not just football and basketball. create a huge media company, content for days. make the sec a conference just for football. ncaa sports landscape would be very similar what it is now but larger.

Sounds good to you, but this is all tied to bringing in more tv revenue. Many of the leftovers just won't move the needle like the LA schools have and will. Fox isn't going to increase payouts per school because Washington State is now in the league….
Oski87
Bobodeluxe said:

Bay Area eyeballs don't show up for Cal or Stanford, so what is the need for local representation?
Were you at the Cal vs Michigan State, Minnesota, or Ohio State game? The place was jammed up. There are more Big 10 alum here watching football than Cal alum watching football.
okaydo
Alkiadt
Oski87 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Bay Area eyeballs don't show up for Cal or Stanford, so what is the need for local representation?
Were you at the Cal vs Michigan State, Minnesota, or Ohio State game? The place was jammed up. There are more Big 10 alum here watching football than Cal alum watching football.

This is true. More B10 alumni in the Bay Area than in Chicago..,
eastcoastcal
okaydo said:

The truth is most cal fans aren't going to show up to a depleted Pac. Most casual fans don't care about OSU/Wazzu/Arizonas/Colorado/Utah, and certainly not whoever we add to replace our two rivals. If you consider Oregon & Washington gone, then frankly the Pac's done.

I have no real interest in watching Cal compete in a MWC-like conference, and neither do most students & alums. At that point much have to go the Ivy-route or dissolve the program altogether.
Bobodeluxe
Oski87 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Gate is of minimal importance. Tv is all that matters. Few watch Cal, so there is little worth despite our presence in a large market.
Trumpanzee
2 less losses for Cal.....
mouseandcat
Alkiadt said:

mouseandcat said:

i was being sarcastic.

Sounds good to you, but this is all tied to bringing in more tv revenue. Many of the leftovers just won't move the needle like the LA schools have and will. Fox isn't going to increase payouts per school because Washington State is now in the league….

perhaps do revenue on a tiered system. i agree, pullman isn't the money maker in most sports. but doesn't a conference also want to consider academics, olympic sports, and volume? if the merged conference gobbles up all of the large western US schools, doesn't that leave other new potential conferences at a huge disadvantage?
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
movielover
And more FB and BB players taking Mickey Mouse majors. Given the travel requirements, will Olympic sports athletes do likewise?
DiabloWags
movielover said:

And more FB and BB players taking Mickey Mouse majors. Given the travel requirements, will Olympic sports athletes do likewise?

Water Polo isnt going anywhere.
It stays here.

YamhillBear
Well today's news is indeed cataclysmic, I still think that the more important issue, and the one that is truly driving change is outside money and NIL as it is currently instituted. I think NIL will be The driver for college sports to end up fairly quickly divided into a tier which is effectively semi-pro, and a tier which is closer to the older college amateur sports model. I neither desire for Cal to dabble in the big outside money model, nor do I think Cal can effectively do that for multiple reasons. So, while I'll be sad to not see Cal in the upper echelons of college football I think I, and many of us, might actually find a lot of satisfaction in seeing college football returned to the previous amateur model.
HateRed
Who the **** are you kidding?
dimitrig

Some random thoughts:

1. Why does the Big10 want UCLA? They haven't been a contender in forever and they aren't a big TV draw. Did USC insist?

2. Why do Cal and UCLA need to play in the same conference any more than UC Davis does?

3. Why is the Big10's tv deal so much better than the Pac-12s? Would people really rather watch Northwestern and Purdue instead of Cal and Stanford? USC and Oregon are just as big a draw as Michigan or tOSU.

This doesn't make any sense to me. The Big10 plays a boring brand of football and most of the teams stink. Why would one of our marquee teams want to join their league? Heck, USC should just join the SEC. It's more their speed.

wifeisafurd
I'm assuming the other 4 teams the Big grabs are Oregon, Udub, Utah and Notre Dame.

So assuming everyone gets past the politics, religion, and geogprahical issues:

Pod 1

OSU
WSU
Furd
Cal
Boise State

Pod 2

ASU
UofA
Texas Tech
BYU
Baylor

Pod 3

Colorado
Kansas
K-State
I-State
Okie State

Pod 4

TCU
Houston
Cincy
WV
FCU

Pod 4 has legit travel issues

You play 4 games against your pod and 1 game against each of the other pods and 4 out of conference games, 2 of which can be from other pods, Pod winners play semis and finals to determine championship. Primary benefit is there are a fair number of major media markets and BYU and Okie State get eyeballs. Basketball is tough give Pod 4 travel. Non-revenue sports - who knows? BYU, Okie State, TCU, and the other schools can be good at football, and the conference also has some good mens' basketball teams.

The alternative is the Pac 7 trying to steal from other conferences to get Boise State, Fresno State and San Diego State or maybe UNLV to get to 10 teams. Crappy TV contract, and devaluation of play. Conference championship? Playoffs? Other than Arizona, men's basketball utterly sucks.

No really good alternatives, but the 4 pod conference is by far the best money wise.

BigDaddy
dimitrig said:

The Big10 plays a boring brand of football and most of the teams stink. Why would one of our marquee teams want to join their league?
wifeisafurd
YamhillBear said:

Well today's news is indeed cataclysmic, I still think that the more important issue, and the one that is truly driving change is outside money and NIL as it is currently instituted. I think NIL will be The driver for college sports to end up fairly quickly divided into a tier which is effectively semi-pro, and a tier which is closer to the older college amateur sports model. I neither desire for Cal to dabble in the big outside money model, nor do I think Cal can effectively do that for multiple reasons. So, while I'll be sad to not see Cal in the upper echelons of college football I think I, and many of us, might actually find a lot of satisfaction in seeing college football returned to the previous amateur model.
My guess is the driver is TV money and the need to have sufficient revenue to pay players once they are ruled to be employees, which everyone thinks is coming. I'm assuming the hope is there is some form of collective bargaining agreement for revenue sports.
calumnus
YamhillBear said:

NIL deals are being driven by laws and the Supreme Court which makes it impossible to enforce amateurism. The market will determine which programs are top tier and which are not.

That is why the best system eventually might be to do away with Conferences (maybe even fixed divisions) and have the NCAA split the country into 4 regions: Midwest, South, East and West with multiple leagues within each region and each school's league placement based a on relegation to a lower level league if losing and advancement to a higher league if winning. Let the market decide who is at what level, but otherwise keep it regional.

The current movements will have to play out first with enough dissatisfaction to push for a systemic overhaul.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

YamhillBear said:

My guess is the driver is TV money and the need to have sufficient revenue to pay players once they are ruled to be employees, which everyone thinks is coming. I'm assuming the hope is there is some form of collective bargaining agreement for revenue sports.

It will be very difficult to have collective bargaining in college sports. Just in FBS there are 130 teams with 85 scholarship players which is 11,050 players that need to join the union (many in "right to work" states) with 130 team representatives at the negotiations, with presumably all of them gone before the next negotiation. If FCS and D2 players are in the union….

There are over 1,300 schools that play men's basketball with 15 players on each roster or nearly 20,000 college basketball players.

With the Supreme Court affirming players' rights to earn from their NIL and no way to restrict that or determine how much is pay for play i think we are eventually headed for an unrestricted free market system unless Congress hands out an antitrust exemption (which I doubt happens). The best way of organizing the teams will be a market-based system like with English soccer as I said above.
bluehenbear
If the B1G gets large enough, eventually they'll join up with the SEC and say F U to the ncaa and create their own governing body.

Maybe Cal (and Furd) should just go the BYU/ND route and become independent.
okaydo
dimitrig
BigDaddy said:

dimitrig said:

The Big10 plays a boring brand of football and most of the teams stink. Why would one of our marquee teams want to join their league?

Sure, but this is a chicken and egg problem. Is Rutgers or Northwestern really helping draw in the big bucks? If it is all about money why doesn't the Big10 just kick its lower tier teams to the curb and invite USC and Oregon? Why involve UCLA or Washington?

Heck, invite tOSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Penn State to the Pac-12 and there would be even more dollars to be had.

That the Pac-12 has had crappy leadership doesn't mean the product sucks. If it did the Big10 wouldn't be adding our teams to BOLSTER their revenue.

I am disappointed that it takes a conference that was once regarded as inferior (Big10 used to get beaten down in the Rose Bowl reliably) to realize the value of our teams.

Golden One
dimitrig said:

Why does the Big10 want UCLA? They haven't been a contender in forever and they aren't a big TV draw.

Basketball.
dimitrig
Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

Why does the Big10 want UCLA? They haven't been a contender in forever and they aren't a big TV draw.
Basketball.

I wasn't thinking about basketball and how it is a revenue sport at some universities.

calumnus
dimitrig said:

Golden One said:

dimitrig said:

Basketball.

I wasn't thinking about basketball and how it is a revenue sport at some universities.

UCLA football went 8-4 (6-3) last year, was ranked as high as #13 and finished #28 in Sagarin. Chip Kelly appears to have them on an upswing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.