USC/UCLA supposedly moving to Big Ten

83,524 Views | 746 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big Dog
ducky23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Furd has endowments up the a$$
We have an enormous amount of debt

They will be just fine no matter what happens.
We face extinction
DiabloWags
ducky23 said:

We face extinction

Exactly.

Someone on another thread was claiming how ironic it was that Cal and Stanford were joined at the hip given this news out of UCLA. - - - I couldnt disagree more, for all the reasons you cited plus the fact that Furd has a national brand and we dont.

Everyone else in the Pac-12 right now is waiting to see what Stanford's next move is.

No one else left in the conference (besides Oregon and UW) have any leverage from which they can make demands and get what they want independent of anyone else in the realignment world.

Kliavkoff is probably on the phone right now with Furd trying to convince Furd to stay, citing the risks and revenue shortfalls attached to staying in the Pac-8, are bearable.

That's gonna be a tough sell, but perhaps the long travel distances and weather challenges might be a factor in the decision.

goldenchild
RJABear said:

Big Dog said:

RJABear said:

ajm9191 said:

I also can't see the Regents having already approved this without being briefed on how "injurious" this would be to Cal Athletics nor without anyone on Cal's side knowing it was going on. Not saying the AD office would have been informed, but the chancellors do talk to each other are very hesitant to create discord between schools. Maybe neither chancellors saw it as being a big deal.

I don't know much about the dynamics of the UC regents or the inter-Chancellor politics.

Hopefully Carol Christ called Gene Block and reminded Block that UCLA leaving the Pac-12 will change the identity of the flagship UC university without Berkeley's consent and the move will cost Berkeley tens of millions of dollars each year.
Why would Block care about decisions made by Cal? (The Regents will care, as they are ultimately on the hook for the stadium rebuild, but 99% of Block's focus is to make Southern Branch better in all respects.)

Going back to ajm's comment that Chancellors try to avoid discord between schools. I would hope that Block at least considered the implication for the remaining PAC-12 schools and the UC flagship.

I don't know whether that is true and whether the Chancellers count on each other's support, say in comparison to active cooperating with Texas or Virginia or other major public universities. Tough to ask for Christ's support after you recently stuck a knife in Berkeley's back.
Again, as mentioned previously, the current University of California President is Michael Drake, whose last job was serving as OSU's president. He was there for the whole Urban Meyer drama and was on the board of the NCAA & Big Ten. He likely understands this situation more than anyone else who'd be serving in that role. That's not to say expect UC to come to Berkeley's rescue here. It's not worth speculating UCOP / Regents are utterly incompetent here or unable to exert influence on all of this. If they don't, there's going to be a reason and eventually surface.
oskidunker
DiabloWags said:

ducky23 said:

We face extinction

Exactly.

Someone on another thread was claiming how ironic it was that Cal and Stanford were joined at the hip given this news out of UCLA. - - - I couldnt disagree more, for all the reasons you cited plus the fact that Furd has a national brand and we dont.

Everyone else in the Pac-12 right now is waiting to see what Stanford's next move is.
No one else left in the conference (besides Oregon and UW) have any leverage from which they can make demands and get what they want independent of anyone else in the realignment world.

Kliavkoff is probably on the phone right now with Furd trying to convince Furd to stay, citing the risks and revenue shortfalls attached to staying in the Pac-8, are bearable.

That's gonna be a tough sell, but perhaps the long travel distances and weather challenges might be a factor in the decision.

I heard on tv the Big 10 does not want Washington or Oregon.
Go Bears!
SBGold
Lol
sycasey
So here's how I could see a Cal-to-B1G scenario working:

1. USC and UCLA realize their travel schedule is going to be hell and start pressuring the rest of the conference to let in more West Coast teams.
2. The UC regents and state government start exerting political pressure to prevent UCLA leaving the flagship UC in the lurch on stadium debt, and the move that causes the least friction here is for Cal to be invited to the same football conference with UCLA.
3. USC and UCLA also face internal pressure from their own fans and donors to keep the old California rivalries going.
4. Given all of this pressure, the Big Ten decides it's easier to just bring in Cal and Stanford as a package deal (possibly Oregon and Washington too). The current members are not exactly opposed to it anyway, since they like the prestige these schools bring.
5. Fox is fine with the move since it brings in another big media market, and games between these top-tier Pac-12 schools do tend to bring good ratings.

Can anyone be certain about all of that? No, but it's plausible. We'll see.
Bear_Territory
sycasey said:

1. USC and UCLA realize their travel schedule is going to be hell and start pressuring the rest of the conference to let in more West Coast teams.
2. The UC regents and state government start exerting political pressure to prevent UCLA leaving the flagship UC in the lurch on stadium debt, and the move that causes the least friction here is for Cal to be invited to the same football conference with UCLA.
3. USC and UCLA also face internal pressure from their own fans and donors to keep the old California rivalries going.
4. Given all of this pressure, the Big Ten decides it's easier to just bring in Cal and Stanford as a package deal (possibly Oregon and Washington too). The current members are not exactly opposed to it anyway, since they like the prestige these schools bring.
5. Fox is fine with the move since it brings in another big media market, and games between these top-tier Pac-12 schools do tend to bring good ratings.

This or Cal Football dies.
DiabloWags
sycasey said:

Can you please send Knowlton #4 so that he's aware that this is an option?
HearstMining
I wonder if the B1G would consider some kind of tiered revenue approach possibly based on TV ratings/market or something like that. The teams that generate less viewership would get a smaller piece of the pie. This should keep OSU, Michigan, and USC happy because they get more $, but allow Cal/Stanford/UW into the conference albeit with smaller pieces of the financial pie and also incentivize them to improve their teams' performance and fan outreach.
ducky23
sycasey said:

That all sounds right.

The main point is that if we are saved, we are going to be saved by outside forces

I wouldn't be surprised at all if knowlton would actually prefer and be more comfortable with cal being relegated to some sort of lower tier conference.

When you get a mid major AD you get mid major thinking. When is someone going to tell this bozo that we are one of the premier universities in the world and this sort of crap doesn't fly here
BigDaddy
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Bear_Territory
BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.
goldenchild
maxer
ajm9191 said:

I'm noting that he doesn't commit to the PAC in this message, which is maybe a good sign?
Strykur
maxer said:

ajm9191 said:

I'm noting that he doesn't commit to the PAC in this message, which is maybe a good sign?
We're gone.
ducky23
Bear_Territory said:

BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.

The rumour I'm hearing is that the big10 wants Oregon, UW, furd and notre dame. And that they are just waiting on ND right now
eastcoastcal
ducky23 said:

Bear_Territory said:

BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.

The rumour I'm hearing is that the big10 wants Oregon, UW, furd and notre dame. And that they are just waiting on ND right now

PRAYING ND loves being independent
maxer
ducky23 said:

Bear_Territory said:

BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.

From someone in a position to know, or from Twitter like the rest of us?
LunchTime
mouseandcat said:

hear me out.

cal and furd, along with the schools in arizona, washington, oregon, utah/colorado join the big 10. they could form the Big10 - Pacific Division.

here's where it gets a bit crazy: they could come to sunny LA for their conference championship game.

Why would the B1G go to two 10 team divisions? There isn't room for cross play and a full division schedule unless you take a much harder schedule than the sec.

So it's effectively back to a tv contract per division, which is what it is with the big and pac now. It's not a move up.
ducky23
maxer said:

ducky23 said:

Bear_Territory said:

BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.

Furd donors. Though I've heard furd hasn't made a decision either. Travel is a concern
maxer
ducky23 said:

maxer said:

ducky23 said:

Bear_Territory said:

BigDaddy said:

Cal is ****ed.

Furd donors. Though I've heard furd hasn't made a decision either. Travel is a concern
Wonder what happens if ND turns them down
LunchTime
Alkiadt said:

fat_slice said:

I feel bad for Wilcox - turned the Oregon job down and now he's stuck in piddly-dink pac-10 (or 8). He will def leave after this year.

Oregon is no better off than Cal at this point.
absolutely ridiculous take.

Oregon is a high value program. Cal can't win 6 games can't get fans to watch, let alone casuals, and has almost no funding.

Oregon is in a massively better position right now.

eastcoastcal
This all comes down to ND I'm guessing. If B10 wants to go to 20, they're adding 4 more. If ND accepts then there's three left and I doubt we leapfrog Oregon/Washington/furd, so we're cooked. Hopefully ND rejects and we package ourselves with Furd.
Bear_Territory
If Cal doesn't play USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon and Washington anymore…the program doesn't survive.
Jeff82
Question: It's been stated that Oregon has a national following, because of the Nike connection, and therefore they would be attractive to the Big 10, even though they're in a small media market. Are there ratings data to support that?
DiabloWags
eastcoastcal said:

This all comes down to ND I'm guessing. If B10 wants to go to 20, they're adding 4 more. If ND accepts then there's three left and I doubt we leapfrog Oregon/Washington/furd, so we're cooked. Hopefully ND rejects and we package ourselves with Furd.
Yup.
PRAY that the Domer's want to remain independent.
DiabloWags
ducky23 said:

Thanks.
Keep us posted!
PaulCali
Most likely outcome for Cal Athletics:

Cal and whatever teams remain from the old Pac form a new Pacific Conference, probably with some schools added. This will be a second-tier conference.

Obviously, the media rights payoff will be significantly reduced. Cal will deal with this by having the central campus take on even more of the stadium debt from intercollegiate athletics. Even so, several sports may still have to be eliminated.

It's not a happy ending and is the end of an era for Cal athletics. But we've been headed this way for decades.
DiabloWags
PaulCali said:

Most likely outcome for Cal Athletics:

Cal and whatever teams remain from the old Pac form a new Pacific Conference, probably with some schools added. This will be a second-tier conference.

Obviously, the media rights payoff will be significantly reduced. Cal will deal with this by having the central campus take on even more of the stadium debt from intercollegiate athletics. Even so, several sports may still have to be eliminated.

It's not a happy ending and is the end of an era for Cal athletics. But we've been headed this way for decades.

Sad, but a realistic assessment.
Sandy Barbour tried to give everyone a reality check 12 years ago,
but the can has been kicked down the road for quite some time now.
ducky23
Does anyone know what ND makes from their nbc deal and whether it's more/less than what they would potentially get from big10
movielover
BearoutEast67 said:

This feels like a long process of correction that is an attempt to wrest control of college football from the NCAA ...

I would like to see Cal rise above and help form a refuge for the scholar-athlete who will remain interested in getting educated and holding marketable degrees after playing years. Maybe that will be in a new league, maybe in a newly formed Pacific conference. Maybe Cal will join the Big10 to be Westcoast equivalents to Northwestern and Rutgers.

UCLA was always a poser UC school while USC will remain the University for Spoiled Children.

Regardless, Cal will be fine. Fiat Lux!

UC Davis already has far tougher admission standards, and leads the Big West and Big Sky in graduation rates.

Does the Pac 10 try to add Boise, UNLV, Fresno?
AuBear81
ducky23 said:

Does anyone know what ND makes from their nbc deal and whether it's more/less than what they would potentially get from big10
From Google: "Off NBC and ACC TV revenue, Notre Dame made $22 million, while each ACC school earned an average of $29 million, according to an ESPN report. Notre Dame also earns $3.19 million from the College Football Playoff each year, no matter if it was selected or not."

maxer
ducky23 said:

Its less now, and it's about to be a LOT less. could be renegotiating though.
SBGold
DiabloWags said:

eastcoastcal said:

Yup.
PRAY that the Domer's want to remain independent.

I think they love their independence and their own tv deal. I don't think ND goes anywhere anytime soon
OdontoBear66
sycasey said:

Like you thinking on this sycasey. Seems reasonable, but the I worry about the butts in the seats at both 'furd and Cal. The perception of energy when watching a near empty stadium is not good.

That said, without an offer, it will be devastating. With it, maybe a new approach at Cal to football. Am I dreaming? Or more likely hoping?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.