cal's monster offensive line

1,525,885 Views | 9940 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Shocky1
mbBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Shocky1 said:

big c, hope everybody enjoys/celebrates the electricity of what is probably jaydn's final season playing fall gamedays at memorial stadium, running back recruiting is reflecting this probable reality
the expectation being that he will transfer elsewhere for a year due to NIL offerings?

NIL offering + NFL exposure via B1G. With Wasserman at UCLA I think we are going to be their minor league.

You really think someone is more likely to get drafted from the Big over the Pac12 or whatever it becomes, at least in the next few years?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

I am 97% confident in these answers and meet roughly 10% of the criteria for the awarding of a prize.

note: posted by elite contest contestant hare bear

jb, cal's monster offensive line got 6 starters heading into the summer of 2023 & coach bloesch has made it clear he's gonna play the best trench workers regardless of position so substitutions are gonna be based on talent not positional depth

matthew cindric: the starting center could also slide to guard...spoke with his dad michael & also jack plummer's biological dad at the game in boulder and the mental toughness of both of these bears playing thru unbelievable injuries (they were put in harm's way by billy m & angus) is an untold story that hopefully won't be repeated ever again in berkeley...matthew is the undisputed leader of the trench workers & my fellow haas biz ad grad (he's now completing the 2nd year of an education master's program) is my favorite california golden bear but let's be real here, cindo don't got good hair

sioape vatikani: the 4.0 gpa fellow poly with also a scorpio skies b-day got the most nfl upside of any player in the o-line room, he entered berkeley outta high school as already arguably the strongest player in the room...but in watching every second of cal football live in person last season it wuz incomprehensible how sioape could knock a defender 5 yards off the ball & the next play 100% whiff on even touching a defender while the play got blown up for a loss...yeah vatikani took a lotta plays off last season, honestly think coach bloesch is gonna help him mentally develop into the man we all expect him to become

brayden rohme: the most important summer development for the cal football program will be rohme's ability to gain & retain good weight...we are ****** if our starting left tackle weighs 275 lbs again as this will not work in the modern physical game that rewards brute strength...brayden like his dad mike who is a phoenix homicide detective/former ucla o-lineman does everything the right way, very optimistic that we will see the best version of the chandler native in denton against north texas on september 2nd

tj session: a very uneven season during his 1st year moving up a level in the college game, the athletic starting right tackle gotta continue his spring ball progress to become a reliable force...in fairness to tj, he played next to some granite mobility guards last season which resulted in jail breaks & in him tryna help out & thereby blowing his own assignments...under coach session & coach saffell guidance/tutelage, session just gotta do his job to the best of his abilities...the time is now

brian driscoll: the starting left guard could also slide to center to spell cindo if necessary...this remarkable young man whose now leading the cal reading program for kids gotta heart of gold & will someday be an award winning hollywood movie producer...but until then driscoll gotta move his attitude from la jolla to national city for the 2023 season, ok?...a staff member has pointed out to me that he got a couple of unnecessary violence penalties late in the season but the monster still want more conclusive proof of a nasty streak...**** where?

matthew wykoff: my take is that someone is gonna lose their starting job during fall ball to wykoff who started for texas a&m in the sec...yeah the university of calveston era is now underway under the direction of the king of the hill mike bloesch...the 3.75 gpa true student athlete loves the game of football & that's really important (and often under appreciated by fans), his gf avery will always be welcomed in the breezy cali sunshine...this portal addition wuz 100% necessary to ensure a stronger 2023 cal's monster offensive line

and the trench workers gotta couple of immediate impact contenders for playing time in the 2023 season:

trent ramsey: the biggest surprise/riser of 2023 spring ball, he outworked the more acclaimed jtackson brown, spoke to trent & his family on the field during the big game stormin' the field celebration, trust me this guy is focused & not candy azz soft

ender aguilar: the light is starting to come on for the sneaky strong high school tight end, very coachable

martin tine: huge upside but is he just in time with the necessary physical conditioning & academic transition from junior college?

bastian swinney: the most disappointing injury of 2023 spring ball wuz to this vast talent from interlachen high school

also got guys working to improve their craft:

everett johnson: if situational playing time arises (and yeah football is a violent sport with injuries), then big foot is gonna be ready to make a public appearance & knock someone on their azz

dylan jemtegaard: luv this guy, the back up center is a mechanical engineering major & he's gonna make his dad shawn proud as he watches over his family from further afar

nick morrow: arguably more footspeed than any other trench worker, hopefully the misunderstanding with coach johnson re: his ideal playing weight (it's not "285 lbs") is getting resolved thru better communication/clear expectations

and never forget the hard working walk ons colin hamilton, dashaun harris & joshua stovall...these guys r gonna be successful in life building generational wealth thru intellectual capitalism

the underdog with an unbreakable worth ethic is the most dangerous creature on planet earth$
zona bear, my take at this time is that with the unicorn addition of barrett miller that the bears now got 7 legit starters which is around 1000% better than last year's absolute fiasco on the o-line

coach bloesch has made it clear he wants to play a tight rotation for continuity purposes which means the starters will play big minutes together, an old school 2 deep isn't how it's gonna work with UNICORNS for bloesch...only trench worker leader matthew cindric & poly bad azz sioape vatikani (assuming he's done with last season's taking off plays) are guaranteed starting positions...so that means 5 guys competing for 3 starting positions, fall practices r gonna be physical & epic in nature...if brayden reports to camp at less than 300 lbs he's gonna be at a disadvantage

who will be the 8th player in the rotation?...martin tine is not in berkeley yet so my opinion is that hard working trent ramsey with 4 years of eligibility is gonna be that guy with ender aguilar ready to roll if someone in the top 8 is injured

what's ur take on cal's monster offensive line?

UNICORNS for bloesch (cal's monster offensive line)#
Shocky1
tight end charlie crowell & audric harris to arizona

yeah tuscon pool parties r fun but will cleaning pools with a kinda worthless arizona degree be as much fun in couple of years?

sorry building generational wealth don't mean making 15 bucks an hour at age 29 for trevor's cactus pool supplies & cleaning service...bear down on summer days long after coach fisch has unfollowed u on social media & ur living in a rundown apartment off speedway

don't be a dumb azz (unless u wanna exude brokeness)#
Econ141
mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Shocky1 said:

big c, hope everybody enjoys/celebrates the electricity of what is probably jaydn's final season playing fall gamedays at memorial stadium, running back recruiting is reflecting this probable reality
the expectation being that he will transfer elsewhere for a year due to NIL offerings?

NIL offering + NFL exposure via B1G. With Wasserman at UCLA I think we are going to be their minor league.

You really think someone is more likely to get drafted from the Big over the Pac12 or whatever it becomes, at least in the next few years?

In directly from the sense that you'd get more exposure via all the marketing and tv that comes along with B1G. It's comparable to academic - if you're smart you're going to make it no matter what. That said, where you go helps opens more doors faster
Shocky1
econ, u should probably quit now, u got no clue on how nfl scouting works, ok?
Econ141
Shocky1 said:

econ, u should probably quit now, u got no clue on how nfl scouting works, ok?

Did not realize this thread was filled with NFL scouts and evaluators. Thought it was just golf pros.
Shocky1

this monster thread is also about them curvy brunette yoga females with flat stomachs & tight azzs, don't forget them otherwise their feelings might be hurt, ok?

fyi, the national football league's billion dollar plus industry does not incorporate television exposure or media attention as part of the scouting evaluation process...it's all about numerical metrics, game film against opponents & the nfl combine/senior bowl games...u could play for the hiddenbrook college fightin' t-rexs in yountville but if u run an electronically timed 4.29 40 at the nfl combine ur gonna get paid in the league

Shocky1

UNICORNS (barrett miller & matthew wykoff) in berkeley???#
Shocky1

UNICORN: someone who got a very high elite gpa like cindo, unbreakable strength like the hulk or sioape, quick twitch feet & hand movements like spider man & controlled kinetic violence with no plays off kinda like every offensive lineman in the nfl that gets paid

UNICORNS for bloesch (barrett miller, matthew wykoff, tyler knape & maybe david abajian)#

the university of calveston=#1 ranked public university in the world (for seabirds flying into the sun)

UNICORNS for bloesch (cal's monster offensive line)#

AZ Bear
My take on the offensive line:

It's too bad Miller isn't primarily a tackle, but I am fired up to get him anyway. Given all his experience at guard, my guess is to pencil in Miller and Siope at the guard spots. Cindric at center. Wykoff at one tackle (hopefully he can be our left tackle). That leaves Rhome and TJ to fight it out at right tackle. If I had to throw a dart, I'd say Rhome gets first shot, assuming he's bulked up a little. That leaves TJ as a back-up OT, with Tine coming in as a wild card and likely another back-up OT. Driscoll is first backup at either guard spot and center.

So visually:

LT Wykoff
LG Miller
C Cindric
RG Vatikani
RT Rhome

Top backup tackle: Session, then Tine
Top backup guard/center: Driscoll

I don't know enough about our other returning OL depth to name the top candidate or two to break into the top 8. Shocky, you wrote about this a while back....maybe you can refresh us on your take on our other monster O-linemen in waiting...

Obviously there are lots of other ways this could work out. But the addition of Miller seems to force Wykoff to the outside, if my read on the players' positional strengths is accurate. I am hopeful Tine arrives in great shape and is an immediate stud, but that's probably not a realistic base case. So I see him as a backup and maybe someone who could push for more playing time deeper into the season.

Miller could be tried at tackle, which would move Wykoff inside....but that seems less likely. Regardless, Bloesch will figure out the best combo.

If my years of experience as a Cal fan tell me anything, it's that an injury or two (or three) over the course of the year could narrow the choices. But at least Miller gives us a better bulwark against an injury disaster. I am very excited to have decent depth (for Cal) on the OL for the first time in a while!
Shocky1

6' 185 lbs 3.1 gpa elite wide receiver from las vegas#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including clark county)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
Shocky1

6'3" 215 lbs 3.0+ gpa inside linebacker from byron nelson high school in trophy club texas#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including calveston)
Shocky1

6'3" 250 lbs 3.3 gpa apex predator edge defender from mansfield summit high school in texas#

the university of california, berkeley-#1 ranked public university in calveston (wut's ur other skools ranked?)
Shocky1
zona bear (have we met?...do u fly southwest on fall gamedays from sky harbor to oakland?), good stuff...coach spav has indicated that matthew wykoff could play anywhere on the o-line

really think wykoff will start at tackle & that brayden rohme & tj session will battle during fall camp for the other starting tackle position...once again if brayden reports in under 300 lbs he will be at a significant disadvantage

so agreed that means that barrett miller will stay at guard & will probably start along with sioape vatikani at the other guard position with matthew cindric making the calls at center with brian driscoll rotating among the 3 interior line positions

and yeah martin tine probably can't be penciled into the 8 trench worker rotation at this time

trent ramsey is the guy to watch for the 8th slot based upon his strong spring ball...and very optimistic re: the athletic upside of flagstaff mountain man nick morrow who got wheels but needs to be at least 310+ lbs with his 6'8" frame

the coach wilcox era of offensive lines has been sabotaged by 6 years of starting undersized linemen, them days are over

cal's monster offensive line (UNICORNS for bloesch)#
Shocky1
tpop, does barrett got a preference between left or right guard?
89Bear
Shocky1 said:

zona bear (have we met?...do u fly southwest on fall gamedays from sky harbor to oakland?), good stuff...coach spav has indicated that matthew wykoff could play anywhere on the o-line

really think wykoff will start at tackle & that brayden rohme & tj session will battle during fall camp for the other starting tackle position...once again if brayden reports in under 300 lbs he will be at a significant disadvantage

so agreed that means that barrett miller will stay at guard & will probably start along with sioape vatikani at the other guard position with matthew cindric making the calls at center with brian driscoll rotating among the 3 interior line positions

and yeah martin tine probably can't be penciled into the 8 trench worker rotation at this time

trent ramsey is the guy to watch for the 8th slot based upon his strong spring ball...and very optimistic re: the athletic upside of flagstaff mountain man nick morrow who got wheels but needs to be at least 310+ lbs with his 6'8" frame

the coach wilcox era of offensive lines has been sabotaged by 6 years of starting undersized linemen, them days are over

cal's monster offensive line (UNICORNS for bloesch)#

How big do you think Nick will be by fall camp?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

rkt, does model bakery in walnut creek got more healthy protein carbs for good weight gains than arthur macs in oakland?

u might b asking urself, shocky, wut in the california golden bears football program is the most important development to track this offseason spring prior to next month's march spring ball???

we need the remarkably hard working #63 brayden rohme to get well over 300+ lbs in order to perform as the absolutely necessary lockdown left tackle starter necessary for a 2023 cal monster offensive line, ok?

brayden along with cindo is the 1st guy to practice & the last guy to leave the o-line room at nite...his dad michael wuz a ucla offensive lineman back in the day & is currently a top detective with the city of phoenix keeping us all safe at nite

the 6'6" rohme has been undersized his entire career & susceptible to bull rushes, s&c coach brian johnson gotta get off his broken down non yoga teaching azz & get brayden over 300 lbs for spring ball...here's the gilbert native's listed weight history:

weight at birth: who knows, shocky don't know everything, get off my ******* azz
2018 perry high school: 250 lbs
2019 season roster: 260 lbs
2020 season roster: 280 lbs (not accurate played closer to 265 lbs)
2021 season roster: 285 lbs (not accurate, played closer to 270 lbs)
2022 spring game: 250+ lbs due to mono like illness last spring
2022 season roster: 285 lbs (not accurate, played last season at closer to 265-275 lbs)
2023 spring roster: 290 lbs

brayden rohme's lanky frame with length can support an ideal nfl weight of 310-315 lbs, coach bloesch knows this is critical in his quest to build a 2023 monster offensive line

don't ever ask a curvy brunette yoga female how much they weigh (unless u run a sub 4.4 electronically timed 40, got it?)#

who is the most important california golden bear heading into the 2023 season?

that would be left tackle brayden rohme, check out jim mcgill's informative interview with coach bloesch re: cal's monster offensive line
https://bearinsider.com/s/3543/bloesch-ready-to-change-cals-o-line-trajectory

key quote in the article: "he's solid, he's 285 right now and we'd like to get him to probably 295 by the fall and then the key is to holding that weight"
89, check out the last sentence of the above post, that will be the most important weight # to monitor when the bears report for fall ball in august
AZ Bear
Shocky, we have not met. However, I do feel I know you a little bit from scrolling through all 100+ pages (at that time) of the Cal's Monster Offensive Line thread when I first rejoined the Bear Insider board back in January. At that time we were losing significant players to the portal at an alarming rate, and had not yet begun to sign many incoming transfers. I was thinking Cal under Wilcox was done for (Plummer, Femi, Coleman....gone. JMS....wavering and feeling like he's about to jump ship too. "***! Cal is F***ed again!") Your posts (and some from the BI mods) talked me down from the ledge and gave me a better understanding of what was to come.

The Monster thread was a little hard to figure out at first, especially with so many posts being repeated over time as part of new posts. It feels a little bit like a Christopher Nolan movie ("Oh, I'm chasing this guy. No. He's chasing me." - Hat tip to whoever can identify that reference).

But once I got my bearings, it was fascinating to read through and it gave me hope that Cal had a plan to play the portal game and that we might come out of this around breakeven or, dare I say, in better shape as a result of the portal. Yes, I'll dare to say it -- I like our team better now than in December (I still wish we had Sturdivant though).

Yes, I took about 5 days and probably 10-12 hours to read all the back Monster posts and get caught up back in January. Then I decided to subscribe to BI and try to follow even more portal rumors in real time. Yeah! Definitely a productive use of time!

I used to play in a high end, semi-big money, very deep, high effort, ultra geeked out fantasy baseball league for over 20 years. When that league disbanded during Covid, I didn't have an outlet for my unhealthy, highly developed interest in roster construction. So I've partly replaced fantasy baseball with resuming following Cal football and basketball closely. I was a hard core fan of Cal revenue sports for many years (though never as an insider). I was the kind of fan who read all the posts and comments on the Cal blogs of that era, and watched every minute of every football game on TV, even the blowout losses, because I wanted to see how the 2nd and 3rd stringers looked, and because I just always watch to the end.

I'd gotten away from following basketball (two key words of explanation: Wyking, Fox.) and I had toned down my following of Cal football a bit as well. Anyway the Monster thread helped re-ignite some passion (addiction) for hoping endlessly that Cal will be good -- no, not just good, nationally significant -- one day, And every little step in that direction is like a tiny shot of adrenaline. (Thank you, Barrett Miller, for finally announcing and giving me closure on this latest little shot of adrenaline. O-line depth! Yeah, baby!).

So thank you, Shocky, for helping draw me back.

While we haven't met, based on what I've read, I do think we're neighbors, of sorts. I live about midway between Horizon and Chaparral high schools on the NE Phoenix/Scottsdale border, very close to the illustrious Orange Tree Golf Resort (which surely sneaks into the top-100 list of golf courses in the Phoenix metro area). I had a couple kids go through St. Mary's High School, so I always enjoy the local references in the Monster thread.

One closing question: if we are basically done with the portal for this cycle, what are going to occupy ourselves with until fall camp begins?

My Answer: Speculating about who will be Madsen's 13th and final signee for this season. And about whether Mad Dog will instead find TWO worthy transfers and ask Monty Bowser to focus on earning his degree for the next year. (I voter Trey plus a bouncy athletic post, even if developmental, though it may be that Trey is permanently off the table, not sure).
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

so who is grayshirt offensive tackle nick morrow?

morrow is a +1 athlete (for his towering legit 6'8" size) that the shockster saw play at thunderbird high school in phx last season, he literally ran away from safeties at tight end...sean manning, the head football coach at flagstaff high school (my summer club is nearby in the 7000 elevation town) told me at the end of july that morrow is a work out warrior from a great family of athletes & that he's currently bulked up to 265 lbs (played at around 250-255 lbs as a senior) and fully understands his future is at offensive tackle (and not tight end or defensive line)...nick got a 3.7 gpa, he's not a dumb azz

nick morrow interview: morrow is now 285 lbs, it's very odd that he states he thinks his optimal weight is only "5-10 more pounds" for right tackle, that makes no sense at all...if he can still maintain footspeed at 315+ lbs that would allow him to physically impose his will late in 4th quarters

as coach wilcox pointed out in an interview earlier during 2023 spring ball nick still looks kinda "skinny" with his 6'8" frame at 285 lbs, hopefully s&c coach brian johnson is gonna clearly outline/communicate a weight/strength development plan with specific goals in the very near future to hopefully get everyone on the same page

89, there's wuz a serious miscommunication between s&c coach brian johnson & nick morrow re: nick's ideal playing weight, we'll find out when fall ball weights are reported in august whether or not that's been resolved or not
Shocky1

ej, u got a 3.5 gpa & ur filipino ancestry would be celebrated in the fantastically diverse san francisco bay area...oregon state already got their qb of the future in aidan chiles while coach spav got u #1 on the cal quarterback 2024 big board (u got an actionable offer to be the qb of the future for the california golden bears)

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna build generational wealth both thru nfl development with coach spav & intellectual capitalism in the classrooms)
Shocky1

2026 6'4" 260 lbs cal legacy (joel's son) from monte vista high school#
Shocky1

6'35" 240 lbs apex predator edge defender from punahou high school in honolulu#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including those the proudly rep the kanaka maoli)

calumnus
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

so who is grayshirt offensive tackle nick morrow?

morrow is a +1 athlete (for his towering legit 6'8" size) that the shockster saw play at thunderbird high school in phx last season, he literally ran away from safeties at tight end...sean manning, the head football coach at flagstaff high school (my summer club is nearby in the 7000 elevation town) told me at the end of july that morrow is a work out warrior from a great family of athletes & that he's currently bulked up to 265 lbs (played at around 250-255 lbs as a senior) and fully understands his future is at offensive tackle (and not tight end or defensive line)...nick got a 3.7 gpa, he's not a dumb azz

nick morrow interview: morrow is now 285 lbs, it's very odd that he states he thinks his optimal weight is only "5-10 more pounds" for right tackle, that makes no sense at all...if he can still maintain footspeed at 315+ lbs that would allow him to physically impose his will late in 4th quarters

as coach wilcox pointed out in an interview earlier during 2023 spring ball nick still looks kinda "skinny" with his 6'8" frame at 285 lbs, hopefully s&c coach brian johnson is gonna clearly outline/communicate a weight/strength development plan with specific goals in the very near future to hopefully get everyone on the same page

89, there's wuz a serious miscommunication between s&c coach brian johnson & nick morrow re: nick's ideal playing weight, we'll find out when fall ball weights are reported in august whether or not that's been resolved or not

As Nick Morrow continues to put on weight I really hope they have him work out with the TEs in the meantime. Because 6'8" 290 LBs may be "skinny" for a OT, but it would be great as a "sixth" OL (TE) for short yardage situations who could put that foot speed to use on the edge blocking for Jadyn Ott or go out for a short lob pass from Jackson for a first down or TD.

Or maybe he switches to DL where that height can be put to better use?
Shocky1
calumnus, there's almost zero chance nick is gonna move to tight end, his future in college & potentially the next level up is at offensive tackle

his footspeed for a tight end would be average, at offensive tackle it is exceptional

always wise to think outta the box but not in this case

cal's monster offensive line (needs a +1 athletic 6'8" 325+ lbs nick morrow as a starting trench worker in 2024)#
calumnus
Shocky1 said:

calumnus, there's almost zero chance nick is gonna move to tight end, his future in college & potentially the next level up is at offensive tackle

his footspeed for a tight end would be average, at offensive tackle it is exceptional

always wise to think outta the box but not in this case

cal's monster offensive line (needs a +1 athletic 6'8" 325+ lbs nick morrow as a starting trench worker in 2024)#

Not a permanent move or even a move really. He would be an OL, a 6th OL for short yardage situations maybe only until he is a starter on the OL. Most of the time he would be blocking, giving us a more size and push up front in short yardage situations than we have had to date with 5 OL and light TEs. At 6'8" he could also be a good visible occasional target in short yardage for our height challenged QB and catch the unexpected and indefensible 5 yard lob pass for a TD.
KenBurnski
Damn this has been just an outstanding Sunday. Go Bears and welcome to all the new family members!
GMP
Alkiadt said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

If that were true why didn't he already leave ?

Unless I missed it and the NFL changed their rules, he isn't eligible to go to the NFL until after 3 years. Marshawn went after his sophomore year but he redshirted as a freshman.
Ott has two more seasons before he's eligible.

This is not true. Marshawn played quite a bit his true frosh year, in 2004, as Arrington's backup. He starred in 2005 and 2006. He then went to the NFL after his true junior year. He never redshirted.

As for what oskiswife's post, I believe they were not saying that Ott might go to the NFL after this year (you're correct that he has to wait until the 2025 NFL Draft), but is instead saying why didn't Ott transfer after his frosh year if (as shocky suggests) he may transfer after his sophomore year.

Also agree with those saying that the Big Ten does not help with NFL exposure. We aren't, idk, The Citadel. It's very easy for scouts to find NFL players at a place like Cal.

I do assume, as do many others, that Ott may be promised a bag of money after this season that we simply can't match. I hope not, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year here for that reason.

It may also depend on how well our OL does this year. Ott got pretty beat up last year. If I were him, I would like to go somewhere that I can run through holes as big as a dump truck (like when Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love were jogging for touchdowns at Stanford a few years back).
calumnus
GMP said:

Alkiadt said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

Unless I missed it and the NFL changed their rules, he isn't eligible to go to the NFL until after 3 years. Marshawn went after his sophomore year but he redshirted as a freshman.

This is not true. Marshawn played quite a bit his true frosh year, in 2004, as Arrington's backup. He starred in 2005 and 2006. He then went to the NFL after his true junior year. He never redshirted.

As for what oskiswife's post, I believe they were not saying that Ott might go to the NFL after this year (you're correct that he has to wait until the 2025 NFL Draft), but is instead saying why didn't Ott transfer after his frosh year if (as shocky suggests) he may transfer after his sophomore year.

Also agree with those saying that the Big Ten does not help with NFL exposure. We aren't, idk, The Citadel. It's very easy for scouts to find NFL players at a place like Cal.

I do assume, as do many others, that Ott may be promised a bag of money after this season that we simply can't match. I hope not, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year here for that reason.

It may also depend on how well our OL does this year. Ott got pretty beat up last year. If I were him, I would like to go somewhere that I can run through holes as big as a dump truck (like when Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love were jogging for touchdowns at Stanford a few years back).

Yes, Marshawn rushed for 628 yards (at 8.8 YPC!) as Arrington's principle backup as a true freshman in 2003. Even Justin Forsett, also a true freshman that year, did not redshirt and had 49 yards on 11 carries over 11 games.
Shocky1

who is gonna be the next kylar murray in college football?

that would be 5'9" 166 lbs 2026 elite quarterback michael mitchell jr from archbishop riordan in san francisco who balled out yesterday at cal's bay area showcase at memorial stadium & also attended the 2023 spring game

mitchell's game film as a high school freshman is unreal

michael is not a dumb azz, he got a 4.0 gpa at academically rigorous riordan which is not surprising cuz his moms is a berkeley grad who loves her bears & would prefer he stay home for the quick trip across the bay bridge on fall gamedays but also wants him to make his own collegiate decision...and he got offers nationwide from a lotta of the nation's powerhouses already including an actionable offer from coach spav

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those who wanna build generational wealth thru nfl development with coach spav & also intellectual capitalism in the classrooms)
mbBear
Econ141 said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Shocky1 said:

In directly from the sense that you'd get more exposure via all the marketing and tv that comes along with B1G. It's comparable to academic - if you're smart you're going to make it no matter what. That said, where you go helps opens more doors faster
You think marketing and TV play a part for scouts, especially in the age of the Combine?
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

that would be 5'9" 166 lbs 2026 elite quarterback michael mitchell jr from archbishop riordan in san francisco who balled out yesterday at cal's bay area showcase at memorial stadium & also attended the 2023 spring game

michael is not a dumb azz, he got a 4.0 gpa at academically rigorous riordan which is not surprising cuz his moms is a berkeley grad who loves her bears & would prefer he stay home for the quick trip across the bay bridge on fall gamedays but also wants him to make his own collegiate decision...and he got offers nationwide from a lotta of the nation's powerhouses already including an actionable offer from coach spav

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those who wanna build generational wealth thru nfl development with coach spav & also intellectual capitalism in the classrooms)

Wow! A freshman? Wow!
Econ141
mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Shocky1 said:

You think marketing and TV play a part for scouts, especially in the age of the Combine?

I think marketing/exposure will lead to much more NIL opportunities for the athletes that join the top 2. Awards like the Heisman will also lean to the better marketed players assuming you have two equally skilled players.

So yeah maybe this doesn't lead to higher draft position but the benefits are clear? Plus getting a 4.0nat Cal is different from a 4.0 at po-dunk U. Same will be the case for averaging 5 ypc in the SEC/B1G vs Pac12
6956bear
GMP said:

Alkiadt said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

That is something that could happen for a number of players. Big NIL $$ is a real enticement for sure, but RBs in particular.If you can get a big bag while in college that is a big deal. The NFL despite drafting 2 RBs in the first round this year are utilizing multiple RBs and having 2 or 3 Rbs carry the load. There is a lot of injury at RB and getting 2nd contracts in the NFL for a RB is becoming less likely all the time.

So Cal needs to make sure they utilize Ott to their fullest. I also believe he could be much coveted after the season and there is always someone with a bigger bag of money.
mbBear
Econ141 said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

mbBear said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Shocky1 said:

I think marketing/exposure will lead to much more NIL opportunities for the athletes that join the top 2. Awards like the Heisman will also lean to the better marketed players assuming you have two equally skilled players.

So yeah maybe this doesn't lead to higher draft position but the benefits are clear? Plus getting a 4.0nat Cal is different from a 4.0 at po-dunk U. Same will be the case for averaging 5 ypc in the SEC/B1G vs Pac12

Heisman is a completely factor. So is playing in the National Championship. No argument on the academic scenario. But with all due respect, in the year 2023, the cliche that the NFL will find you wherever you are is more true than ever before.
Can elite programs argue to recruits that you are getting the best coaching, the best facilities et.al.? Sure... different discussion.
GMP
Shocky1 said:

I live close to Riordan and really enjoyed taking the kids to their basketball games last year. They had a fun team.

We hadn't been to football yet. We will now for sure. This is exciting.
First Page Last Page
Page 121 of 285

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.