Hey Dodgers Fans

993,964 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Big C
TheSouseFamily
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, that sucks. But I'm ok with it. At least it wasn't an agonizing game like games 2 or 5. The Stros are a worthy champion and it's a well-deserved title. The series certainly confirms my long-standing doubts about Dave Roberts and several highly questionable decisions along the way but I'll give credit where credit is due. I'm sure I'll have nightmares about George Springer for years to come and wonder how a 17-3 (and sub 3.00 ERA) pitcher is so under-utilized but the Stros have a better offense, better manager and performed better in the clutch. They deserve this.
MinotStateBeav
I'm fine with this result.
Go Gigantes 2018!!
KoreAmBear
TheSouseFamily said:

Well, that sucks. But I'm ok with it. At least it wasn't an agonizing game like games 2 or 5. The Stros are a worthy champion and it's a well-deserved title. The series certainly confirms my long-standing doubts about Dave Roberts and several highly questionable decisions along the way but I'll give credit where credit is due. I'm sure I'll have nightmares about George Springer for years to come and wonder how a 17-3 (and sub 3.00 ERA) pitcher is so under-utilized but the Stros have a better offense, better manager and performed better in the clutch. They deserve this.
Congrats to the Astros.

Roberts blew game 2.

Darvish put the Dodgers behind the 8 ball with the pitching staff by not getting out the 2nd in game 3.

Kershaw blew game 5.

Roberts/Darvish blew game 7. Yu by just sucking. Roberts by sitting idly by with all hands on deck, and even letting Darvish pitch to Springer already down 3-0. You don't even send Darvish out in the 2nd. I don't care if he allowed soft contact. The game is not called soft contact. This is Game 7 of the WS.

Astros are good, but the Dodgers wasted their many opportunities at a title. Doc did a poor job this series.
GMP
sycasey said:

Took a bit longer than usual, but thus ends yet another season in which the Dodgers do not win the World Series.

Fireworks in the Mission right tonight, hah.
TheSouseFamily
GMP said:

sycasey said:

Took a bit longer than usual, but thus ends yet another season in which the Dodgers do not win the World Series.

That's like Oregon State fans celebrating a loss by USC in the national championship game. Who is the joke really on?
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

That's like Oregon State fans celebrating a loss by USC in the national championship game. Who is the joke really on?

Your analogy fails because Oregon State hasn't won 3 recent national titles and Oregon State and USC aren't rivals. A better analogy is Alabama fans (multiple recent titles) celebrating a loss by Georgia (last national titles in the 1980s) in the national title game. You can try to make yourself feel better by making fun of the Giants' season, but it's now 29 seasons and counting since the Dodgers won it all. You're damn right we are celebrating that, just as you'd celebrate a Giants World Series loss.
TheSouseFamily
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Your analogy fails because Oregon State hasn't won 3 recent national titles and Oregon State and USC aren't rivals. A better analogy is Alabama fans (multiple recent titles) celebrating a loss by Georgia (last national titles in the 1980s) in the national title game. You can try to make yourself feel better by making fun of the Giants' season, but it's now 29 seasons and counting since the Dodgers won it all. You're damn right we are celebrating that, just as you'd celebrate a Giants World Series loss.

In your "better" analogy, did Georgia just win the last 5 SEC titles? And is Alabama the worst team in the country, much less the SEC?
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

In your "better" analogy, did Georgia just win the last 5 SEC titles? And is Alabama the worst team in the country, much less the SEC?

I said better, not perfect. Enjoy those division title banners, though.
Looperbear
Sucks that the franchise that condones racism prevailed over the franchise that did more than any other to defeat racism.
rathokan
KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Congrats to the Astros.

Roberts blew game 2.

Darvish put the Dodgers behind the 8 ball with the pitching staff by not getting out the 2nd in game 3.

Kershaw blew game 5.

Roberts/Darvish blew game 7. Yu by just sucking. Roberts by sitting idly by with all hands on deck, and even letting Darvish pitch to Springer already down 3-0. You don't even send Darvish out in the 2nd. I don't care if he allowed soft contact. The game is not called soft contact. This is Game 7 of the WS.

Astros are good, but the Dodgers wasted their many opportunities at a title. Doc did a poor job this series.
yes, congrats to the Astros. a formidable team. they played great and looked like the better team for much of the series. that said, I think we lost it.

I disagree about game 2. I think Jansen blew game 2. He breezed through the 8th and was going against the bottom of the order in the 9th inning and gave up the tying homer on an 0-2 pitch. Roberts put him in a position to close the game and he didn't.

Kershaw did blow game 5. but it was also bracketed by a strong game 1 and good 4 innings in game 7. We also had an opportunity to win game 5 despite his performance. He was going to be the goat of the series until...

Darvish. two 1 2/3 in both starts and a combined 9 runs. he lost us two games. Perhaps we could've fought back but the Dodgers hitters were impotent despite having multiple men on base for many innings. Not going to win many games scoring only one run.

I would've started Wood. That's probably the only fault i have w/ Roberts. In game, I can see why he would stick w/ Darvish tonight... he's historically started slow and showed signs of pulling out of his funk. But why not start Wood first and see what happens? And after the first inning, it was probably a good time to pull Darvish if it's game 7.

Sucks to be a Dodgers fan right now. This is a hard loss. The only solace is that the club seems set up for future success, but you just don't know how or when you will ever get back to the World Series. This was an opportunity squandered... and I blame mostly the players (Jansen game 2, Darvish game 4 & 7, and all the hitters game 7). Bellinger and Turner were terrible at the plate.
sycasey
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Has Oregon State won multiple Rose Bowls recently?
SigOtherIsATrojan
Giants lost 98 games and their future is bleakest of all NL West teams including SD. Yes Dodgers **** the bed tonight and embarrassed themselves, but are stacked moving forward while Giants will be trusting the process 76ers style for the forseeable future.

Rivalries are best when both teams are competitive.
GMP
SigOtherIsATrojan said:

Giants lost 98 games and their future is bleakest of all NL West teams including SD. Yes Dodgers **** the bed tonight and embarrassed themselves, but are stacked moving forward while Giants will be trusting the process 76ers style for the forseeable future.

Keep 'em coming. Dodger fans spending the evening talking about the Giants instead of celebrating a World Series victory is too sweet.
Big C
SigOtherIsATrojan said:

LOL. Suck it, Dodgers!

2010 / 2012 / 2014
GMP
rathokan said:

KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Congrats to the Astros.

Roberts blew game 2.

Kershaw blew game 5.

yes, congrats to the Astros. a formidable team. they played great and looked like the better team for much of the series. that said, I think we lost it.

I disagree about game 2. I think Jansen blew game 2. He breezed through the 8th and was going against the bottom of the order in the 9th inning and gave up the tying homer on an 0-2 pitch. Roberts put him in a position to close the game and he didn't.

Kershaw did blow game 5. but it was also bracketed by a strong game 1 and good 4 innings in game 7. We also had an opportunity to win game 5 despite his performance. He was going to be the goat of the series until...

Darvish. two 1 2/3 in both starts and a combined 9 runs. he lost us two games. Perhaps we could've fought back but the Dodgers hitters were impotent despite having multiple men on base for many innings. Not going to win many games scoring only one run.

I would've started Wood. That's probably the only fault i have w/ Roberts. In game, I can see why he would stick w/ Darvish tonight... he's historically started slow and showed signs of pulling out of his funk. But why not start Wood first and see what happens? And after the first inning, it was probably a good time to pull Darvish if it's game 7.

Sucks to be a Dodgers fan right now. This is a hard loss. The only solace is that the club seems set up for future success, but you just don't know how or when you will ever get back to the World Series. This was an opportunity squandered... and I blame mostly the players (Jansen game 2, Darvish game 4 & 7, and all the hitters game 7). Bellinger and Turner were terrible at the plate.

No one has explained to me (and I said this before the game): if Kershaw was available, and he's your ace, why not start him and get whatever you can out of him? Sure, when he pitched it was a lot less pressure. Down 5-0, you don't have much to lose. It's hard to know how different things would have been if he started. But I'd still start him, get as many outs as I could, and then go to my next best pitcher.

Also, yes, Bellinger is a good young hitter who looked terrible at the plate and will likely be able to adjust, but someone needs to talk to him about his defense. Multiple times (at least 4-5) during the World Series (including in the first tonight) he tried to do way too much going to his right. He gets to the ball (though on at least one occasion this series he merely deflected it), but then is in no position to make a play. On one of those, they even had a shift on, so Utley was well over toward first. That play in the first was huge, I thought, and really swung the game. If he just gets to the bag, Forsythe makes a likely easy play, and Springer is only at third with out one. Instead, it was 1-0 with Bregman on second and no outs. If he did this one time I wouldn't think much of it, but as I said - he did it a lot.

LethalFang
SigOtherIsATrojan said:

If you draft well and stay away from stupid big contracts at this juncture, things can turn pretty quickly.
The Giants looked pretty bleak just a couple of years before start winning world series titles. Drafted Lincecum, Bumgarner, and Posey in top of the draft.
Astros looked pretty bleak the whole decade, and look at them now.
ducky23
GMP said:

rathokan said:

KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Congrats to the Astros.

Roberts blew game 2.

Kershaw blew game 5.

No one has explained to me (and I said this before the game): if Kershaw was available, and he's your ace, why not start him and get whatever you can out of him? Sure, when he pitched it was a lot less pressure. Down 5-0, you don't have much to lose. It's hard to know how different things would have been if he started. But I'd still start him, get as many outs as I could, and then go to my next best pitcher.

To be fair, a similar strategy worked for the giants in their game 7. Bochy didn't start bum either
LethalFang
ducky23 said:

GMP said:

rathokan said:

KoreAmBear said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Congrats to the Astros.

Roberts blew game 2.

Kershaw blew game 5.

To be fair, a similar strategy worked for the giants in their game 7. Bochy didn't start bum either
Bum was pitching on fumes at the end.
Say you start Kershaw, and he goes on for 4 innings, what do you do with the remaining 5 innings?
Hindsight is 20-20. Darvish is your well-rested #2 starter and a 3-time all-star. You have to believe that he's going to give you at least a few quality innings. Maybe Roberts could've removed him after the first inning, but to start him is a pretty obvious decision.
bearsandgiants
I love that dodger fans think it's pitching to blame when they score one run with the juiciest baseballs in World Series history.
hotlanta
As a Giants fan from the time my dad took to a Giants game at Seals Stadium in 1958, I can't say I'm sorry to see the Dodgers lose. Still the Dodgers are scary good and very young with the largest payroll in baseball.

Giants - the team of the 201X.
sycasey
Anyway, tough loss for the Dodgers fans. I recommend you try to follow the advice from this song:

Coincidentally, this was a top single the last time the Dodgers won the World Series.
philly1121
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

You're response is the epitome of sour grapes. Its the perfect analogy.
sycasey
philly1121 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Again, this would only make sense if the Giants hadn't won the World Series recently. But they did, three times. "Sour grapes" would imply that we were acting like winning a championship isn't that great anyway, but in fact we are pointing out that it actually is. And the Dodgers haven't done it for a while.
philly1121
Lifelong Dodger fan here. In all honesty, Astros deserved to win. I can't speak for the Giants prospects or any other team in the NL or AL. But the Dodgers seem pretty talented but I think the Astros wanted it more. But to me, the deciding factor in this was Dave Roberts.He got out-managed up and down. I think GMP asked if Kershaw was available, why didn't he start? Excellent question.

Darvish even seeing the second inning after giving up two in the 1st was another mistake compounded by not starting Kershaw. Kershaw was on 2 days rest and even then, his pitch count wasn't extremely high in the last game because he wasn't in that long.

Roberts made alot of mistakes and worse yet, the Astros capitalized on nearly all of them. At 5-0, I knew that game was over because AJ Hinch wasn't going to make a mistake with a 5 run lead.

Its game 7 - Roberts was a deer in the headlights for at least 3 of the games in the series. Seems drastic, but I think he should be fired. The loss is all on him.
philly1121
sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

Again, this would only make sense if the Giants hadn't won the World Series recently. But they did, three times. "Sour grapes" would imply that we were acting like winning a championship isn't that great anyway, but in fact we are pointing out that it actually is. And the Dodgers haven't done it for a while.
lol no sir. You're pointing out that the Dodgers lost. A point that doesn't need any reiteration, right? The analogy is correct because you're celebrating a Dodgers loss against a team that isn't their rival. Its kind alike we always do on this board - celebrate the defeat of a P12 team against an SEC or Big12 team. Be it Oregon or OSU or USC, Stanford. As if USC, Furd or Oregon even think we are their rivals since they pretty much own us.

So the Giants won the world series in 2014? And? The fact that this thread still has life is evidence that its sour grapes.
NYCGOBEARS
philly1121 said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

lol no sir. You're pointing out that the Dodgers lost. A point that doesn't need any reiteration, right? The analogy is correct because you're celebrating a Dodgers loss against a team that isn't their rival. Its kind alike we always do on this board - celebrate the defeat of a P12 team against an SEC or Big12 team. Be it Oregon or OSU or USC, Stanford. As if USC, Furd or Oregon even think we are their rivals since they pretty much own us.

So the Giants won the world series in 2014? And? The fact that this thread still has life is evidence that its sour grapes.

One can make pretty good wine with sour grapes.
Big C
Looperbear said:

Sucks that the franchise that condones racism prevailed over the franchise that did more than any other to defeat racism.
Wait, are you referring to the same franchise that didn't want to hire "family member" and native SoCal guy Dusty Baker?
sycasey
philly1121 said:

sycasey said:

philly1121 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

sycasey said:

I'm thinking you might need to read up on what the phrase "sour grapes" actually means.
Cal8285
Looperbear said:

Well, a "franchise" doesn't really get to claim its past actions as its own when the people responsible for those actions were forced out long ago in a nasty coup, and there have been so many changings of the guard that it is irrelevant.

If the Dodgers hadn't lost the claim to what "they" did to intergrate baseball when Branch Rickey was forced out, then they lost it when the took the biggest crap in the history of sports on the fans who supported them through a lot of decades of being crappy, the occasional heartbreak, and most importantly, the integration of baseball. O'Malley even suckered Stoneham into leaving lucrative New York for San Francisco, which would never be the financial windfall that LA is, but all that aside, the O'Malleys deserved no credit for helping defeat racism in baseball, and neither does the current organization.

I won't blame current ownership for some of the many racist decisions made since the franchise moved to LA, those decisions were made by previous owners, but neither should the current franchise get much credit for what they have absolutely nothing to do with.
Bobodeluxe
California has now gone three years without a World Series Championship.
71Bear
Cal8285 said:

Looperbear said:

Well, a "franchise" doesn't really get to claim its past actions as its own when the people responsible for those actions were forced out long ago in a nasty coup, and there have been so many changings of the guard that it is irrelevant.

If the Dodgers hadn't lost the claim to what "they" did to intergrate baseball when Branch Rickey was forced out, then they lost it when the took the biggest crap in the history of sports on the fans who supported them through a lot of decades of being crappy, the occasional heartbreak, and most importantly, the integration of baseball. O'Malley even suckered Stoneham into leaving lucrative New York for San Francisco, which would never be the financial windfall that LA is, but all that aside, the O'Malleys deserved no credit for helping defeat racism in baseball, and neither does the current organization.

I won't blame current ownership for some of the many racist decisions made since the franchise moved to LA, those decisions were made by previous owners, but neither should the current franchise get much credit for what they have absolutely nothing to do with.
"which would never be the financial windfall that LA is"...

Forbes most recent ranking of sports franchise values...

LA is valued at 2.75 billion
SF is valued at 2.65 billion

Both are in the Top 20 of all franchises in all sports in the world.

Both play in stadiums that were built and are owned by the franchise and both are completely paid off.

I would suggest that the franchises have both been incredibly successful from a financial point of view.
TheSouseFamily
I'm certainly not gonna bemoan Giants fans for taking pride in winning 3 WS titles in 5 years. That's an impressive accomplishment by any standard and a nice feather in the cap. Any reasonable, honest Dodger fan would be envious of that. So too, any reasonable, honest Giants fan would be envious of the Dodgers winning the division 5 years in a row, having the current title of National League Champions and beating the pants off the Giants by 40 games this year. There's also the small matter of what things look like going forward and the early 2018 power rankings released today reflect a positive future for the Dodgers and a rather gray one for Frisco.

We Dodger fans are happy about being able to celebrate our past, our present AND our future, knowing that our rivals can't do the same. Sure, we're envious of those titles and congratulate you for them, even as they recede further and further in the rear view mirror. Hopefully at some point, your biggest source of jubilation will once again be something YOU do, not just seeing the Dodgers lose a game 7 of the World Series to someone else. It's way more fun anyway when both teams are good.
sycasey
TheSouseFamily said:

I'm certainly not gonna bemoan Giants fans for taking pride in winning 3 WS titles in 5 years. That's an impressive accomplishment by any standard and a nice feather in the cap. Any reasonable, honest Dodger fan would be envious of that. So too, any reasonable, honest Giants fan would be envious of the Dodgers winning the division 5 years in a row, having the current title of National League Champions and beating the pants off the Giants by 40 games this year. There's also the small matter of what things look like going forward and the early 2018 power rankings released today reflect a positive future for the Dodgers and a rather gray one for Frisco.

We Dodger fans are happy about being able to celebrate our past, our present AND our future, knowing that our rivals can't do the same. Sure, we're envious of those titles and congratulate you for them, even as they recede further and further in the rear view mirror. Hopefully at some point, your biggest source of jubilation will once again be something YOU do, not just seeing the Dodgers lose a game 7 of the World Series to someone else. It's way more fun anyway when both teams are good.
That really is tough, isn't it? Probably even tougher when they're 29 years in the rear view.
TheSouseFamily
sycasey said:

TheSouseFamily said:

That really is tough, isn't it? Probably even tougher when they're 29 years in the rear view.

You like what you've got. I like what I've got. Everyone is happy!
Cal8285
71Bear said:

Cal8285 said:

Looperbear said:

"which would never be the financial windfall that LA is"...

Forbes most recent ranking of sports franchise values...

LA is valued at 2.75 billion
SF is valued at 2.65 billion

Both are in the Top 20 of all franchises in all sports in the world.

Both play in stadiums that were built and are owned by the franchise and both are completely paid off.

I would suggest that the franchises have both been incredibly successful from a financial point of view.
The Forbes numbers don't really reflect the difference in the kind of windfall LA was versus SF. Forbes does funny things with TV numbers. Forbes doesn't include any real estate values in their valuation. Additionally, in the last sale, McCourt didn't sell all of what O'Malley got in coming to LA, notably the parking lots, so part of the financial windfall of moving to LA has been split up and is no longer part of the Dodgers, but if we're assessing the financial windfall of moving to LA versus SF, that needs to be taken into account.

The quality of management also affects the Forbes numbers a lot, and Giants management over the last 20 years versus the quality of Dodger management over the last 20 years has affected the numbers. The number one reason why the Mets are as low as they are is incompetent management. A New York team with competent management will be more valuable than a San Francisco team. All else equal, the Giants would have been financially better off in New York. The Dodgers got such a good deal to move, they almost certainly benefited financially by abandoning their loyal fans and moving.

Local TV money still favors the Dodgers over the Giants by a lot, although the current deal screwed things up pretty good so far. In terms of how many local fans will show up for games, the Dodgers have a big advantage. Because the Giants have a better park in a better location, they get more tourist attendance, which helps offset the fact that the locals will not attend in the same numbers, and the difference in how many locals will show up is reduced because the Giants have the better park that is more easily accessed by public transit. Another advantage is the Dodgers own their land, the Giants do not. The Giants may own the stadium, they may have a long term land lease, but they don't own the land.

But flip back 60 years, and the Dodgers deal was absurdly more valuable than the Giants. There is a reason why SF came VERY close to losing the Giants twice, once coming within minutes of losing them to Toronto (not 2 seconds like Verlander almost not going to Houston, but less than half an hour). They didn't get land for a stadium, they had a much smaller area to draw from, and a much smaller TV market. Obviously the screw up of the location of the ballpark was a big deal, and hurt the Giants for their first 40 years, but even without that, the Dodgers deal was tons better.

Some factors have changed to help SF, like that 42 years after the move, the Giants got a better stadium in a better location than Dodgers Stadium, and the Silicon Valley boom resulted in a lot more corporate money paying for sponsorships and high end tickets.

Still, the Giants will never be able to be the top payroll team in MLB like the Dodgers can be, because SF will never be the financial windfall for the Giants that LA was for the Dodgers (and one reason why the Forbes value difference is smaller is because LA spends more of the money they get).
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.