Hey Dodgers Fans

1,003,026 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by Big C
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
JB was a Chieftain said:

okaydo said:

Ummmm Jackie Robinson

Who!!? Oh, wait, didn't he used to play for that Big Ten school?
ColoradoBear
BearSD said:

ducky23 said:

oski003 said:

It is only 2 million per year. Again, 4D chess.

4D chess my A$$. This took absolutely zero skill or creativity from the dodgers. It just takes someone like ohtani to be willing to take such a stupid deal. Every team would defer that type of money if they could.

This is way way worse than KD coming to the warriors. At least in that situation, it only works cause the warriors drafted their big 3 (you wouldn't be able to buy 4 superstars under the nba salary cap).
And even then, the warriors had to surround that team with vet mins.

What the dodgers are doing is just ridiculous. Sure it'll work in the short term, but they're basically guaranteeing that there's going to be a new CBA that's going to destroy all of their current advantages.

If the dodgers were smart, they could've manipulated a weak "salary cap" forever. But now that they've destroyed it, a harder salary cap is all but guaranteed.

--Kind of surprising that MLB left that salary cap/deferral loophole wide open for the Dodgers to drive through. IIRC, NBA and NFL have rules that permit limited salary deferrals and wouldn't permit deferring anything like 90 percent or more.

The Athletic had sources that say the CBA/MLBPA are using a 4.43% annual discount rate to get to an average of $46 million per year for 10 years. This is going to be the number used for the luxury tax calculations, not the $2 million he is getting paid for the next 10 years. So it's not really a way to avoid luxury tax. It is a way to make the contract sound a lot more valuable than it actually is.
tequila4kapp
ducky23 said:

oski003 said:

It is only 2 million per year. Again, 4D chess.

4D chess my A$$. This took absolutely zero skill or creativity from the dodgers. It just takes someone like ohtani to be willing to take such a stupid deal. Every team would defer that type of money if they could.

This is way way worse than KD coming to the warriors. At least in that situation, it only works cause the warriors drafted their big 3 (you wouldn't be able to buy 4 superstars under the nba salary cap).
And even then, the warriors had to surround that team with vet mins.

What the dodgers are doing is just ridiculous. Sure it'll work in the short term, but they're basically guaranteeing that there's going to be a new CBA that's going to destroy all of their current advantages.

If the dodgers were smart, they could've manipulated a weak "salary cap" forever. But now that they've destroyed it, a harder salary cap is all but guaranteed.

They are required to put 46M in an escrow account. This is really a $48M annual deal, which is not outrageous at all. The deferral let's the agent claim it's 700M, let's Ohtani pay less taxes, etc. There won't be a hard cap. The current deal has explicit language to the effect that no restrictions of any kind are allowed on deferrals. The union will never agree to changing that.
oski003
Japanese star Yamamoto goes to Dodgers for 12 years, $325M
sycasey
Shocking.
egbear82
Baseball is becoming a total joke. Letting a team spend over a billion dollars on the two top free agent players with basically no consequences is just pathetic. The sport won't survive if they don't have a hard cap of some sort.
westcoast101
Dodgers haven't won a real World Series in 30+ years, so they're doing everything in their power to try and buy one. What a joke.
oski003
westcoast101 said:

Dodgers haven't won a real World Series in 30+ years, so they're doing everything in their power to try and buy one. What a joke.

They won in 2020. That is 3 years ago.
oski003
egbear82 said:

Baseball is becoming a total joke. Letting a team spend over a billion dollars on the two top free agent players with basically no consequences is just pathetic. The sport won't survive if they don't have a hard cap of some sort.

Much of this is deferred and isn't extraordinary given the contract lengths. They added about 70 million in payroll next year between these two players. Giants would have likely done something similar if these players had chosen to play for the Giants. They didn't.
KoreAmBear
Not my money, so I don't care and will be excited when I see Shohei and Yamamoto play. I'm kind of tired of all this hype during the off season. That's also why I don't follow recruiting for Cal too much either. It always comes down to whether the team gels and whether the coaches/manager can put it together.

Like with Wilcox, I don't really believe until the team does something different. For Wilcox it's winning more than 7 games. For the Dodgers, it is the recent early bow outs. I mean with all that star power they looked helpless against the D-Backs.
bearsandgiants
oski003 said:

westcoast101 said:

Not a real world series. A covid-shortened joke of a season.
ColoradoBear
oski003 said:

westcoast101 said:

This is a site about Cal Athletics so you should already know that COVID years don't count. Jim Knowlton said so himself.
oski003
bearsandgiants said:

oski003 said:

westcoast101 said:

Not a real world series. A covid-shortened joke of a season.

I know you really want that World Series to not count because the giants suck and have sucked for years. They haven't won a World Series since their Balco infused cheating team a decade ago. They suck now. Their fans pretend they don't have a high payroll just so they can excuse how much they suck. Again, the giants suck. Giants fans are jealous losers.
sycasey
oski003 said:

They haven't won a World Series since their Balco infused cheating team a decade ago.
What? Are you just throwing out anti-Giants Mad Libs?
ducky23
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

They haven't won a World Series since their Balco infused cheating team a decade ago.
What? Are you just throwing out anti-Giants Mad Libs?

You didn't know Lincecum was juicing?
WalterSobchak
LOL when it was the Yankees raiding the A's year after year I don't remember Giant fans thinking it was a crisis. You're not special.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
sycasey
WalterSobchak said:

LOL when it was the Yankees raiding the A's year after year I don't remember Giant fans thinking it was a crisis. You're not special.
I didn't like the Yankees when they were buying up all the top free agents either.
oski003
sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

I didn't like the Yankees when they were buying up all the top free agents either.

Giants fans are like folks making $500,000 grand a year that want taxes raised but only on anyone making more than $500,000 grand a year.
WalterSobchak
sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

What does that have to do with this notion that MLB neeeeeeds a FA cap to "save" the game? This has been happening for decades, just not to the Giants. Welcome to the club.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
sycasey
WalterSobchak said:

sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

What does that have to do with this notion that MLB neeeeeeds a FA cap to "save" the game? This has been happening for decades, just not to the Giants. Welcome to the club.
They've probably needed one for a while, yeah.
WalterSobchak
sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

LOL. Let me guess: Like 003 says you think the cap should be set right where mid market teams like the Giants can compete with big market teams like the Dodgers but both can still outbid small market teams like the A's.

sycasey
WalterSobchak said:

sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

sycasey said:

WalterSobchak said:

LOL. Let me guess: Like 003 says you think the cap should be set right where mid market teams like the Giants can compete with big market teams like the Dodgers but both can still outbid small market teams like the A's.
No, I think the Giants have plenty of money and can compete at close to the higher levels. They have clearly been willing to spend in the last couple of offseasons; it's just the rest of the roster isn't good enough to attract most of their targets over the likes of the Dodgers.

I think the extreme differences in payrolls are bad for the competitiveness of the league, regardless of how my team does.
oski003
Giants trade dude making $17 million per year who hits .209 with 6 HRs and dude making $12 million per year with 5.16 ERA and 3 million dollars for 32 year old ex Cy Young award winner making $23 million per year with 3.71 ERA in 2021 before Tommy John surgery knocked him out until late 2024 season.

This is an exciting off-season for the team that pretends tvst don't spend!

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39248482/mariners-trade-robbie-ray-giants-mitch-haniger-anthony-desclafani
okaydo
okaydo
bearsandgiants
okaydo said:

Hope the dude's happy knowing he's personally responsible for putting half of the dodger staff out of work with his bloated salary. Also, he can't pitch. So he's basically like Kershaw, or that rapey guy.
Chapman_is_Gone
Take it to the off topic board, hypocrites.
bonsallbear
Chapman...............go away. Be unhappy somewhere else.
ducky23
Uh oh dodgers fans

Giants dodged a bullet with Correa.

Did they dodge another one with Ohtani???

Would hate to see the dodgers get entangled in a gambling scandal. Would be so sad!!!!!

Anarchistbear
My interpreter makes most of my financial decisions
okaydo
oski003
bearsandgiants said:

okaydo said:

Hope the dude's happy knowing he's personally responsible for putting half of the dodger staff out of work with his bloated salary. Also, he can't pitch. So he's basically like Kershaw, or that rapey guy.

He is responsible for putting L.A. Times staff out of work? That makes no sense. Ohtani is bringing money to the Dodgers, not the L.A. Times.
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA
The hot chicks don't pick you because you are an ugly loser. Nothing that happens with Ohtani changes that fact.

SF is a sh****le, and in 2024, the Giants suck at baseball. Accept reality.
ducky23
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA said:

The hot chicks don't pick you because you are an ugly loser. Nothing that happens with Ohtani changes that fact.

SF is a sh****le, and in 2024, the Giants suck at baseball. Accept reality.

Uh huh….tell me more

NWBear90
First Page
Page 157 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.