NCAA Tournament

43,689 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
Eastern Oregon Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fyght4Cal said:

AITA: For rooting against Cuonzo Martin & Mizzou?
I'm rooting for both teams to lose. Maybe a little harder for Mizzou.
bearister
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

I'm rooting for both teams to lose. Maybe a little harder for Mizzou.

With God and KAB as my witnesses, I am on record as saying:

Cuonzo is a good man. He is a good recruiter. He is not a good coach. Bears were at a major disadvantage in games that were close in the last 2 minutes. He is also a Hell of a lot smarter than me. He has earned generational wealth in his coaching profession.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
ncbears
Gates, Legans, Pasternak and Martin - no wins.
sycasey
UCLA in control, up 11 on BYU with 4 minutes left. If they hold on then all five Pac-12 teams have advanced to Round 2.
sycasey
All Pac-12 teams advance. 6-0 so far (though one was a forfeit).
stu
Fyght4Cal said:

I'm still upset at the condition he left our team in but that's over. I don't root for him to lose at Missouri but I don't root for him to win either. Life is short, I have no love or hate to spare for Cuonzo or Missouri.
stu
sycasey said:

I doubt even Nate Silver could calculate the odds of that happening.
sycasey
stu said:

sycasey said:

Now UCLA gets to play Abeline Christian, who just toppled Texas. Stars aligning again.
philbert
sycasey said:

stu said:

sycasey said:

Now UCLA gets to play Abeline Christian, who just toppled Texas. Stars aligning again.
More $$$ for the Pac12 then. Good for us!
drizzlybear
Pac12 whoopin' ASS!! Woohoo!! Go Pac12!
stu
sycasey said:

Abilene Christian shot under 30% overall and under 17% on threes but put up 27 more shots than Texas did! Texas had 23 turnovers which explains much of the shot differential. I expect UCLA will take better care of the ball.
dimitrig
stu said:

sycasey said:

Abilene Christian shot under 30% overall and under 17% on threes but put up 27 more shots than Texas did! Texas had 23 turnovers which explains much of the shot differential. I expect UCLA will take better care of the ball.

Abilene Christian also had 23 offensive rebounds.

sycasey
stu said:

sycasey said:

Texas was super careless in this game. And they probably should have won anyway. Texas hit a 3 to go up by 1 late in the game, then the refs called a questionable foul on the rebound after Abeline missed with just a few seconds left, to give them free throws and the win.
sycasey
drizzlybear said:

Pac12 whoopin' ASS!! Woohoo!! Go Pac12!

The other thing is that the P12 teams have not just won, they've dominated. UCLA went to overtime against Michigan St. in the First Four, but otherwise the wins have been by double digits.
helltopay1
He looks stunning in a purple dress. L ooks like Walton is trying to jump aboard the transgender craze.
Bobodeluxe
Always room for bigoted humor on This site.
HoopDreams
Ohio, who finished 5th in the mid-American conference stuns 4 seed and defending national champion Virginia of the ACC

From ESPN:

"Point guard Jason Preston has established himself as a name to watch in the NCAA tournament, finishing with 11 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists for the Bobcats. Preston scored just 52 points total as a high school senior, but has now played himself onto the NBA's radar and is one of the best point guards left in the tournament."
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

Ohio, who finished 5th in the mid-American conference stuns 4 seed and defending national champion Virginia of the ACC

From ESPN:

"Point guard Jason Preston has established himself as a name to watch in the NCAA tournament, finishing with 11 points, 13 rebounds and eight assists for the Bobcats. Preston scored just 52 points total as a high school senior, but has now played himself onto the NBA's radar and is one of the best point guards left in the tournament."

Amen. Great story. In fact, did you know that Michael Jordan never got selected for any team he ever tried out for, not even on the playgrounds, until Dean Smith discovered him selling newspapers out of a trash can on the streets of London? Sorry, couldn't resist. I really do love the story of Preston and the Ohio Bobcats.

(I do take issue with the characterization of that game as "stunning", given UVa's quarantine situation. I'm not even the only one in my household that called that "upset".)
sycasey
Worth noting that the nonconference schedules were much shorter this season, so the rankings of conferences (by Sagarin and the like) were more likely to be off. Pac-12 seems to be better than expected.
stu
Having to play Cal really prepared everyone in our conference for tournament play.
RJABear
Loyola-Chicago over #1 seed Illinois

Picked that in my bracket. Loyola had a huge difference between their Ken Pom rating (#9 nationally) and their seed #8 seed which implied a 29-32 ranking.
HoopDreams
drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

From ESPN:

(I do take issue with the characterization of that game as "stunning", given UVa's quarantine situation. I'm not even the only one in my household that called that "upset".)
interesting. people here factor in zero impact to cal for the covid off season and pre-season restrictions, but missing a few practices prior to this game gives #4 seed, defending National Champion Virginia a free pass?
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

From ESPN:

interesting. people here factor in zero impact to cal for the covid off season and pre-season restrictions, but missing a few practices prior to this game gives #4 seed, defending National Champion Virginia a free pass?

I think you know I'm not one of those who dismiss the impact Covid had on Cal's season. But this situation with UVa was also pretty unique and significant, where, as I understand it, they had no team gatherings of any kind and the players were in full individual quarantine for the week leading right up to hours before tip off. Still, I didn't give UVa a free pass, but I did pick a plucky Ohio team to take them out. I wouldn't have made that pick if not for the Covid impacts.
Bobodeluxe
Other than the Brits in 1939/40, no one has ever had to overcome the odds that ANY Cal team has faced, ever.
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

Other than the Brits in 1939/40, no one has ever had to overcome the odds that ANY Cal team has faced, ever.

And with all that Cal still managed to play the most games in the PAC-12.
HoopDreams
Yes, you factored in cal's COVID restrictions

Virginia only prepped for Ohio by watching film and virtual meetings for a week

They did have a practice on Friday in Virginia and then a light walk through shoot around Saturday

And Virginia was upset the year before their championship so they were a popular upset pick

Creighton was the most popular upset pick considering the drama before the tournament that lead to their coach not making the tournament and them slumping in their recent games

Everyone is looking for the dent in the armor of the higher seeds

drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

drizzlybear said:

HoopDreams said:

From ESPN:

I think you know I'm not one of those who dismiss the impact Covid had on Cal's season. But this situation with UVa was also pretty unique and significant, where, as I understand it, they had no team gatherings of any kind and the players were in full individual quarantine for the week leading right up to hours before tip off. Still, I didn't give UVa a free pass, but I did pick a plucky Ohio team to take them out. I wouldn't have made that pick if not for the Covid impacts.
HoopDreams
Bobodeluxe said:

I agree with you!
SBGold
Flag that post
oskidunker
Syracuse lost 9 games this year. Suddenly no one can solve the zone? Looks like Cal playing Syracuse.
Go Bears!
sycasey
oskidunker said:

Syracuse lost 9 games this year. Suddenly no one can solve the zone? Looks like Cal playing Syracuse.

This happens constantly in the tournament. Teams that are not accustomed to playing them have major trouble.
drizzlybear
Yup. They're one of my common go-to picks.

I don't know if the stats bear this out, but I feel like the shooting has been better than usual this tournament. If that's true, I wonder if playing in normal gyms (rather than cavernous arenas) is a reason for it.
Big C
stu said:

Getting to play Cal really rested everyone in our conference for tournament play.
fify
stu
Big C said:

stu said:

Getting to play Cal really rested everyone in our conference for tournament play.
fify
helltopay1
Bobo: Transgenders are fine...I don't like Walton or the color purple..purple dresses????congress should pass a new law outlawing purple dresses for both men and women..
stu
helltopay1 said:

...I don't like Walton or the color purple..
Have you read The Color Purple by Alice Walker?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.