NCAA Tournament

43,786 Views | 473 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bearister
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
4 minutes and zero points
sycasey
NathanAllen said:

sycasey said:

ncbears said:

sycasey said:

RJABear said:

OR State Beavs looking good against Tennessee
Beavs dominate the Vols, wire-to-wire.

Pac-12 is good maybe?
Or SEC basketball is not good? Ok Arkansas came from behind to win and Florida hung on. But Georgia Tech went lost as well.
So it looks like .500 for the SEC so far. Tennessee is the only team to lose a game they were favored by seed to win. Arkansas went down early (hot shooting by Colgate) but dominated the rest of the game and won comfortably; I thought they looked good.

We also had UCLA beating MSU from the Big 10, which is supposed to be the best conference (granted, it was a play-in game).
The SEC is 2-1. GA Tech is not part of the SEC. They won the ACC Tournament title less than a week ago.

Also, I don't think UCLA beating Michigan State in overtime is an argument for the Pac-12's strength. UCLA finished fourth in the P12. Michigan State finished ninth in the B10 and had a losing conference record.
Hah, that's right Ga Tech is in the ACC. Well, that's the previous poster's error more than mine.
philbert
Although MSU was still the favorite over ucla.

Not Pac12 related, but still gonna revel in the 2 seed tOSU losing from the B1G.
ncbears
Oops on Georgia Tech....
bearister
Purdue is about to eat a # 13 seed sh@it sandwich in OT.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
HoopDreams
sycasey said:

RJABear said:

OR State Beavs looking good against Tennessee
Beavs dominate the Vols, wire-to-wire.

Pac-12 is good maybe?
If I have a low seed, I want it to be a 12 seed

so many 5/12 upsets
sycasey
bearister said:

Purdue is about to eat a # 13 seed sh@it sandwich in OT.

Another high B1G seed goes down. Purdue falls to North Texas.
NathanAllen
Staff
philbert said:

Although MSU was still the favorite over ucla.

Not Pac12 related, but still gonna revel in the 2 seed tOSU losing from the B1G.
I'm all about the P12 winning. And tOSU losing. So I was very pleased with both of those results.
drizzlybear
Cal8285 said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

Teams of interest for Cal fans:
Colorado
USC
Oregon
Oregon St.
UCLA
Ohio State-Sueing
Arkansas-Vanover
Eastern Washington-Legans
Cleveland State-Gates
UCSB-The kicker

Others?

How did this putrid Pac-12 get 5 teams in?

Well, whether a conference is "putrid" is judged by more than the pure number of teams in the tournament.

Sure, 68 teams get in, but how many actually deserve to be playing for the title? When playing a one and done tourney, anything can happen, so sure, in theory, anybody can win, especially when a team gets help from other fluke wins and doesn't have to play all the best teams.

In the "modern" era of 16 seeds in each of the four regions starting in 1985, only 3 teams outside of the top 4, have won a title, and two of those were in the first 4 seasons of the modern era, only one of those since 1988, UConn in 2014 when was a 7 seed and played 8 seed Kentucky in the championship game. Except for that game, Butler is the only team outside the top 3 that made the finals and didn't play a number 1 seed when it lost to 3 seed UConn in the 2011 championship.

As a generally rule, any team that doesn't have a top 4 seed isn't really good enough to be playing for a championship. It is better to judge how putrid a conference is by how many teams it was able to get in the top 4 seeds.

The putrid Pac-12 had, um, zero teams seeded in the top 4. While the Pac-12 got 5 teams total in the tourney (in part because the conference was putrid enough that Oregon St. could knock off 3 of the top 4 teams in the conference and get an automatic berth) the Big-10 and the Big-12 got 5 teams seeded in the top 4. The Sec and ACC had two each (a down year for the ACC for sure, with no teams in the top 3 seeds and 2 teams in the top 4), the WCC one (#1 seed Gonzaga), and the American Conference one (#2 seed Houston). There are six conferences better than the Pac-12 in terms of teams in the top 4. Can the Pac-12 at least claim seventh best?

Well, if we're going to flip down to 5 seeds, covering the top 20 teams in the tournament, the Big East got 2, the SEC one, and the Pac-10 with its best seed in Colorado. So in terms of the top 20 teams in the tournament, looks like the Pac-12 is the EIGHTH best conference in the country. Oops, we didn't move up by that criteria.

For a P5 conference, being 8th best is, um, putrid. Every P5 conference except one had at least 2 teams with top 4 seeds, with the remaining conference, the P-12, having zero. Um, putrid.

A good argument can be made that the best OOC win for a Pac-12 team this year was Stanford beating Alabama in the first game of the year, but it was the first game of the year, the Maui Invitational being played in North Carolina, a weird fluke was bound to happen. The conference overall was PUTRID.

But even with mediocre 5 teams, the Pac-12 had the fewest teams in the tourney of any P5 conference. Combine that with having zero teams with top 4 seeds, and the Pac-12 is the worst of the P5 conferences by far. And Cal finished last in that putrid conference.

Add Tennessee and Michigan State (and Georgetown, shortly) to the list of putrid teams.
drizzlybear
dimitrig said:

Cal8285 said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

Colorado
USC
Oregon
Oregon St.
UCLA
Ohio State-Sueing
Arkansas-Vanover
Cleveland State-Gates
UCSB-The kicker

Others?

Well, whether a conference is "putrid" is judged by more than the pure number of teams in the tournament.
[...]

A good argument can be made that the best OOC win for a Pac-12 team this year was Stanford beating Alabama in the first game of the year, but it was the first game of the year, the Maui Invitational being played in North Carolina, a weird fluke was bound to happen. The conference overall was PUTRID.

But even with mediocre 5 teams, the Pac-12 had the fewest teams in the tourney of any P5 conference. Combine that with having zero teams with top 4 seeds, and the Pac-12 is the worst of the P5 conferences by far. And Cal finished last in that putrid conference.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I agree that the Pac-12 is putrid. So how did we get so many teams get in? There have been much better years where we didn't see 5 teams in. Is that rest of the NCAA also that bad this year?

Sorry this may sound flippant, but really the answer to your question is: the same way, and using the same criteria, as every other conference got teams in. Moreover, there's a good chance the Pac12 could've gotten a sixth team in had Arizona not self-canceled their post-season mid-season. Also, a 7th team, which beat another conference's current 2-seed earlier this season, might have gotten narrowly eliminated by our own sturdy Bears.
drizzlybear
stu said:

My criterion for ranking conferences is total number of NCAA Tournament wins in a given year. That includes selections (you can't win without being selected) as well as quality (you can lose after being selected). It also balances conferences with one great team against conferences with a number of good teams. And it's easy to calculate. But you have to wait till the tournament is done.
Although it skews too heavily toward the ncaa tournament, I like your approach. Usability(?) is a very underrated quality in good sports stats (which baseball seems unable to grasp).
sycasey
drizzlybear said:

dimitrig said:

Cal8285 said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

Colorado
USC
Oregon
Oregon St.
UCLA
Ohio State-Sueing
Arkansas-Vanover
Cleveland State-Gates
UCSB-The kicker

Others?

[...]

I wasn't being sarcastic. I agree that the Pac-12 is putrid. So how did we get so many teams get in? There have been much better years where we didn't see 5 teams in. Is that rest of the NCAA also that bad this year?

Sorry this may sound flippant, but really the answer to your question is: the same way, and using the same criteria, as every other conference got teams in. Moreover, there's a good chance the Pac12 could've gotten a sixth team in had Arizona not self-canceled their post-season mid-season. Also, a 7th team, which beat another conference's current 2-seed earlier this season, might have gotten narrowly eliminated by our own sturdy Bears.
I don't think Furd really had a shot. They weren't invited to the NIT.
drizzlybear
stu said:

sycasey said:

UCLA beats Michigan St. Chalk one up for the Pac-12!
UCLA made 9 of 18 threes to beat a play-in team in overtime. Good win for the conference but the next game will be tougher.
Disagree. MSU teams are notoriously tough and physical teams and usually out-perform their seed in the tournament. This was a huge win for UCLA and the conference. I would take (in fact, I did take) MSU to beat BYU.
philbert
drizzlybear said:

stu said:

sycasey said:

UCLA beats Michigan St. Chalk one up for the Pac-12!
UCLA made 9 of 18 threes to beat a play-in team in overtime. Good win for the conference but the next game will be tougher.
Disagree. MSU teams are notoriously tough and physical teams and usually out-perform their seed in the tournament. This was a huge win for UCLA and the conference. I would take (in fact, I did take) MSU to beat BYU.
it'll be harder if Juzang's ankle affects his play. I understand he's going to play, so we'll see.
drizzlybear
At this point the Pac12 is projected to go 5-0 in its teams' first games.
HoopDreams
Buffs slamming Georgetown at the half
drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

Buffs slamming Georgetown at the half

I'm usually nervous about an early lead built on 3's, but with so many open shots, and McKinley Wright in control (8 assts at half, btw), this is looking pretty good. Worse news for Georgetown's chances of making a comeback: Colorado is a historically good free throw shooting team.

Pac12 whoopin' ASS!
drizzlybear
I'm a big fan of the Team Assists stat. Colorado has 15 at the half! What a half. Now time to make it stick.
HoopDreams
Buffs by 30 with 6 on the clock
sycasey
Hoyas just aren't matching the Buffs energy either, hot shooting aside. I think they lose this even if Colorado doesn't go off from 3.

Pac-12 looking pretty good so far.
calumnus
sycasey said:

drizzlybear said:

dimitrig said:

Cal8285 said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

Colorado
USC
Oregon
Oregon St.
UCLA
Ohio State-Sueing
Arkansas-Vanover
Cleveland State-Gates
UCSB-The kicker

Others?

[...]

If Stanford had not collapsed the last few weeks and won the PAC-12 games they were supposed to win, they would likely have been in.
Post removed:
by user
sycasey
calumnus said:

sycasey said:

drizzlybear said:

dimitrig said:

Cal8285 said:

dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

Colorado
USC
Oregon
Oregon St.
UCLA
Ohio State-Sueing
Arkansas-Vanover
Cleveland State-Gates
UCSB-The kicker

Others?

[...]

If Stanford had not collapsed the last few weeks and won the PAC-12 games they were supposed to win, they would likely have been in.

Oh yeah, about 5 weeks ago they looked to be in decent shape. By the time the P12 Tourney started they were finished unless they won the whole thing.
sycasey
SC cruising to a win over Drake. Pac-12 starts 4-0 in the tourney.
oskidunker
Man I dont understand why the view on the first free throw is so bad. I can hardly tell if good or not. What idiot decided this would enhance our view?
Go Bears!
Eastern Oregon Bear
drizzlybear said:

It was nice of VCU to forfeit to Oregon. I hope their COVID exposure doesn't result in any illnesses.

5-0!
sycasey
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

drizzlybear said:

It was nice of VCU to forfeit to Oregon. I hope their COVID exposure doesn't result in any illnesses.

5-0!

Wow. 5-0 it is.
oskidunker
Likely more. Hope Virginia plays.
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
altman always gets the lucky draw ... his teams somehow always goes up against the cupcakes of the tournament

and now this... his team scores zero points and still advance!
stu
HoopDreams said:

altman always gets the lucky draw ... his teams somehow always goes up against the cupcakes of the tournament

Well, they also gave up 0 points. Defense wins!
sycasey
HoopDreams said:

It's truly amazing how good a draw the Ducks get every time.
bearister
sycasey said:

HoopDreams said:

It's truly amazing how good a draw the Ducks get every time.

The Liege Lord of Oregon greases palms.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
So the whole team had covid?
They couldnt even field 5 players?
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

So the whole team had covid?
They couldnt even field 5 players?

Likely whole team was in the same room with person who had COVID (or someone else who was) and too recently to quarantine or test out.
Fyght4Cal
AITA: For rooting against Cuonzo Martin & Mizzou?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.