Women's Swim Recruits

312,128 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
icecream12345
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a gut feeling that Abbey is going to be a bear too! LEGGOOO
PalyBear
WooHoo!!! Welcome Amy to the Cal Family! Get ready for an awesome life changing experience. GO BEARS!!
BearDevil
All hail Teri. She took a tremendous calculated risk in targeting 5 elite recruits who could deliver another NCAA title to Berkeley. Had she missed it could have been a disaster, but she burned her boats and landed at least 60% of those recruits. Teri's first NCAA championship team had the highest team GPA of all 27 varsity sports on campus and she's been chasing that standard ever since. Her teams aren't going to win every year, but they'll never embarrass the ideals of our beloved University. Fiat Lux!

If Abbey (and Cole) want to come, it's a no-brainer that Teri and Durden will welcome them both with open arms. Gets interesting if Weitzeil goes somewhere else. If Teri truly believes she has a legitimate shot at another NCAA title this season, she'll use Batchelor's second semester $s to seek out a potential mid-year transfer/entrant breaststroker or distance scorer ala Chuck Katis last season. If she's looking to 2016, she'll add another sprinter (Siobhan) for next season. Think Teri probably waits to the late signing period. There's an extremely low probability that Missy doesn't turn pro and Teri has to at least consider that possibility, no matter how remote it may be.

Another bonus of adding Amy is that it builds a bridge to the next generation of US national swimmers. Kathleen, Katie, and that chick who foolishly went to the farm bonded as teammates on the junior national team. Kathleen and Katie were on the senior national team while Amy was on the junior national team this Summer. Other than Beccca Mann, the next generation of US stars were Amy's teammates: Katie Drabot, Stanzi Mosely, Allie Szekely, Sierra Schmidt, and Madison Homovich. Might as well get them into the pipeline now.
tedbear
icecream12345;842378100 said:

Icecream, I hope your gut is right 100% of the time! Hahaha! :gobears:
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842378413 said:

Another bonus of adding Amy is that it builds a bridge to the next generation of US national swimmers. Kathleen, Katie, and that chick who foolishly went to the farm bonded as teammates on the junior national team. Kathleen and Katie were on the senior national team while Amy was on the junior national team this Summer. Other than Beccca Mann, the next generation of US stars were Amy's teammates: Katie Drabot, Stanzi Mosely, Allie Szekely, Sierra Schmidt, and Madison Homovich. Might as well get them into the pipeline now.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842347488 said:

------------

Quick update from [COLOR="#ff00cc"][U][SIZE=4]Day 1[/SIZE][/U][/COLOR] of the [COLOR="#800080"]2014 JUNIOR Pan Pacific Championships[/COLOR] which commenced today in Mauii, Hawaii and will go on thru Sunday.

Potential [U][COLOR="#008080"]2015[/COLOR][/U] recruits include Amy Bilquist who took 1st in the [COLOR="#A52A2A"]100 back[/COLOR] A with a 1:01.00 PB.

Looking further ahead another incoming class, [U][COLOR="#008080"]2016[/COLOR][/U] candidates Katie Drabot captured the gold in the [COLOR="#A52A2A"]200 free[/COLOR] A with a 1:58.73.
Stanzi Moseley
placed 3rd in the B final (2:02.51).

As for [U][COLOR="#008080"]2017[/COLOR][/U] youngsters, Cassidy Bayer had a fast 2:09.08 to break the former Jr Pan Pacs record (2:09.48) and take 2nd in the [COLOR="#A52A2A"]200 fly[/COLOR] A final.
Sierra Schmidt claimed the [COLOR="#A52A2A"]800 free[/COLOR] title (8:34.71).
The 800 being a timed final event, the 7th & 8th fastest time overall were swam by Madison Homovich (8:42.95), and Isabelle Rongione (8:45.88).
Courtney Harnish earned bronze medals in both the [COLOR="#A52A2A"]200[/COLOR] (2:00.46) & [COLOR="#A52A2A"]800 free[/COLOR] A finals (8:40.67).
Not too shabby a result for the 1st night, as Team USA bagged 7 out of the 8 possible golds (and just narrowly missing out on the 8th one by 0.06 sec in the W [COLOR="#A52A2A"]200 fly[/COLOR]!) :cheer

------------

[COLOR="#ff00cc"][U][SIZE=3]Days 2 & 3[/SIZE][/U][/COLOR]

[U]W. 400 free[/U]
1. Courtney Harnish, USA, 4:09.36 [COLOR="#696969"](PB)[/COLOR]

[U]W. 400 free relay[/U]
1. 3:39.73 ([COLOR="#696969"]Meet Record[/COLOR]) - Australia
2. 3:40.14 ([COLOR="#696969"]World Junior Record[/COLOR]) - USA
[COLOR="#008080"]...Stanzi Moseley (55.66), Amy Bilquist (55.00), Katie Drabot (54.46), Katrina Konopka (55.02)[/COLOR]

[U]W. 800 free relay[/U]
1. 8:00.47 - USA
[COLOR="#008080"]...Katie Drabot (1:59.53), Courtney Harnish (1:59.94), Stanzi Moseley (2:00.35) Amy Bilquist (2:00.65)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Definitely budding studs from the next gen to keep an eye out on, I really like your comprehensive list! Sierra's on-the-blocks dancing routine would sure add some color & fun to future meets heh.

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#ff3399"]Sierra Schmidt pre-race dance routine[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
[video=youtube;tX4SGtojPt8][/video]

Not that conversant with their short course metrics, but I'd also consider the likes of Meghan Small, Cassidy Bayer, Courtney Harnish & Isabella Rongione who all appear to have considerable potential. Not to neglect Emily Eastin, Courtney Mykkanen, and Alyssa Marsh either as had been brought up by BearDevil - esp if we want to pile on some serious backstroking depth

btw, any word on [U]Victoria Toris[/U]? Just wondering as there was some conversation here about her possibly being part of a package deal with Amy...

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
dgong
No question Teri was honing in on quality versus quantity as the Bear's have "secured" verbals from 3 of the top 5 recruits in a very strong recruiting year. Each of these ladies is a full-ride level recruit as will be Weitzeil wherever she chooses to matriculate. Regarding scholly dollars I realize we are losing a large group of seniors (and we have the transfers) but I still find it difficult to come up with $ for Weitzeil even given she would be in-state unless we regain Missy's scholly $ once she turns pro. Is that the case or do we think Missy stays on scholly as long as she is a student at Cal.

NCAAs will be very exciting the next couple of years with Georgia, Cal and Stanford at the top and USC, Florida and Arizona very much in the hunt. Georgia's 2015 recruiting seems to be taking a hit as Jack Bauerle was under NCAA scrutiny for arranging passing grades for a star swimmer who didn't do any work. I didn't think that was any such requirement in the SEC, If so, somebody please alert Auburn and Alabama.
BearDevil
dgong;842378491 said:

No question Teri was honing in on quality versus quantity as the Bear's have "secured" verbals from 3 of the top 5 recruits in a very strong recruiting year. Each of these ladies is a full-ride level recruit as will be Weitzeil wherever she chooses to matriculate. Regarding scholly dollars I realize we are losing a large group of seniors (and we have the transfers) but I still find it difficult to come up with $ for Weitzeil even given she would be in-state unless we regain Missy's scholly $ once she turns pro. Is that the case or do we think Missy stays on scholly as long as she is a student at Cal.

NCAAs will be very exciting the next couple of years with Georgia, Cal and Stanford at the top and USC, Florida and Arizona very much in the hunt. Georgia's 2015 recruiting seems to be taking a hit as Jack Bauerle was under NCAA scrutiny for arranging passing grades for a star swimmer who didn't do any work. I didn't think that was any such requirement in the SEC, If so, somebody please alert Auburn and Alabama.

Missy's ride goes back in the pot once she turns pro, so that was factored into Teri's calculations. 6 seniors (Klaren, Piehl, Bing, Breed, Cheng, Kong) with significant $s + Missy and Batchelor translates to 5 full rides. Even if it didn't, Whatsherface's verbal to LSJU, gave Teri more than enough room. Teri went all out for this class. July 1st is the official open of recruiting and Teri magically showed up in person at SwimMAC to offer Baker a full ride. Teri made her July 1 recruiting phone calls from Charlotte. 'SC's plan B fire sale started last week (as did 'Zona adding Garcia instead of Amy), so Bilquist probably eliminated 'SC and 'Zona before the Bears went to Florida. Wouldn't surprise me if Teri closed the deal with an in-house visit with the Bilquists on Monday night on the way back from Florida.

Pains me to write that Georgia and LSJU still will be the teams to beat in 2015, but Georgia takes a major hit (graduations and crappy recruiting) after this season, especially if they clean house with the coaching staff. Wouldn't suck if Meehan got the Georgia job, but it should be all about the Bay in 2016.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------
Really appreciate all the "behind the scene" info on the recruiting! Makes for a fascinating read on how involved & challenging the whole process must be for Teri and all these head coaches.

Re Kathleen's insta pix below, would be sooo perfect not to mention hilarious if the poster gal was revealed to be Abbey in an uncensored version of this photo released upon her (dream scenario) verbal commitment! :p However, judging from the height/size of this anonymous person, and her sense of wit & humor in coming up with this pose, thinking it could be none other than Maija haha
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]8 Oct[/COLOR]
In honor of @amybilquist committing to Cal Berkeley!! This is the only pic of the three of us so I had to improvise... We'll make up for it in the next four years [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]2 Nov[/COLOR]
Rascal Flatts has nothing on me and my gang [SIZE=3] [COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR] [COLOR="#800000"]��[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0099ff"]��[/COLOR] [/SIZE] [COLOR="#ff0099"]#oski [/COLOR] [COLOR="#808080"]Kathleen Baker and Katie McLaughlin[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"][U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: Yes!!! Best pic I've ever seen! I'm so excited! Love you guys[SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U]: LOLOLOL BESTTTTTT ILY YOU 2 @amybilquist @kathleenbaker2
[U]Victoria Toris[/U]: ALL MY FAV PEOPLE IN ONE PIC WOW
[U]Rachel Bootsma[/U]: This is so great
[U]Melanie Klaren[/U]: Lol you guys are so cute [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Stephanie Nelson[/U]: Lol who's the girl you covered up
[U]Ella Eastin[/U]: Lol I'm glad that wasn't me
[U]Maija Roses[/U]: Bahahahahah you posted it[SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE][/COLOR]

---------
BearDevil
Pretty cool story about Cassidy Bayer and Dana Vollmer: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/cassidy-bayer-holds-her-own-and-impresses-olympian-dana-vollmer-at-world-trials/2013/06/27/3e719c3e-de17-11e2-948c-d644453cf169_story.html She's a class of 2018 recruit, although I thought she was even younger than that.

Interesting that Victoria Toris would comment on the above photo. Florida distance transfer Danielle Valley is going to Wisconsin, so Toris probably ends up at 'Zona. UCLA still needs another sprinter, and Toris' times are right there with Mary Pelton and the other Bruin sprint recruit. Indulging my inner UAC, noticed that Katie's nails during her recruiting trip were also a huge clue. Also check out Amy's feet in the picture with Baker. No wonder she kicks so much ass, she's got some serious pontoons that dwarf even Missy's flippers.

In addition to coaching and recruiting, believe that Teri's also helping the Franklins select an agent. Missy can't sign until after NCAAs, but the plan was always to interview potential agents this Fall.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842378701 said:

Indulging my inner UAC, noticed that Katie's nails during her recruiting trip were also a huge clue.

icecream12345;842378100 said:

Hehe. If you don't mind allowing moi to indulge in my inner feng shui intuition once again, here's yet another of the prolific "likes" from Abbey for a random Bear's (no disrespect to Taylor btw ) insta photo posted just now (and she's always one of the first to register her approval of these social media pics from one of the team members)...so my hopes are still high, with a spot of luck it won't be cruelly dashed by Abbey's forthcoming announcement (whenever that may come about)...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Taylor Nanfria - [COLOR="#696969"]9 Oct - Pinecrest Lake[/COLOR]
When the only worries were getting a good tan ☀️ #tbt
[U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] [COLOR="#808080"]likes this[/COLOR] ��

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------

Nora McCullagh [COLOR="#696969"]‏9 Oct - #committed ��[/COLOR]

So happy to announce that I have verbally committed to swim for the University of Texas! Can't wait to be a baby longhorn! HOOK EM!����

-----------

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#696969"]‏9 Oct[/COLOR]

So happy for my best friend @nora_mccullagh committing to Texas! So happy to be only half a country apart [SIZE=3][COLOR="#FF0000"]❤️[/COLOR] [/SIZE] Can't wait for our weekly phone dates [SIZE=3][COLOR="#FF0000"]❤️❤️[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[U]Nora McCullagh[/U]: Those orange trials suits������ BUT LOVE YOU KATHY! DONT KNOW WHAT ID DO WITH OUT YOU!������

-----------

Maija Roses [COLOR="#696969"]‏9 Oct[/COLOR]

Congrats to this bish for committing to Texas!!! Love you @nora_mccullagh !!!! [SIZE=3] [COLOR="#FFD700"]����[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[U]Nora McCullagh[/U]: @maija8roses I �� this haha don't worry you'll still be able to watch me bust a move at our duel meet [SIZE=3] [COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR] [/SIZE] BUT THANKS MAIJA[SIZE=3][COLOR="#FF0000"]������[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

-----------
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842378835 said:

-----------

Nora McCullagh [COLOR="#696969"]‏9 Oct - #committed ��[/COLOR]

So happy to announce that I have verbally committed to swim for the University of Texas! Can't wait to be a baby longhorn! HOOK EM!����

-----------

As we get to the point of over analyzing every single detail, I think Nora's commitment is a good sign for Abbey coming to Cal. I don't know what Texas' scholly situation is, but I think they were waiting on Abbey's decision before offering another swimmer. I could be completely wrong though. We will find out soon.
BearDevil
8 seniors, 2 drawing big $s (Denninghoff, Jacques), 5 commits already (2 top 10-Carrozza, McCullagh)-probably can't still add Abbey. Looks like a coin flip between LSJU and UT for the second ranked class. LSJU only hosts recruits who have already been admitted, and their big recruiting weekend is this weekend or next and can't see anyone who wouldn't have committed yet if admitted. If the Bears get Abbey, that's the number one class by a good margin. Carol Capitani's a Bear so she's bright enough to know how to build a class/program. UT is a few years away from being an NCAA contender, but they and LSJU are the two biggest recruiting threats to Cal. Great facilities, deep pockets, cool town, good school, have long attracted SoCal swimmers, and have a very good coach. 'Zona and A&M will pick up some of the slack from Georgia, but they don't recruit head to head with Cal very much.

The downside risk to Teri's targeting is that that aren't any clear Plan Bs and most of the possibles (McCullagh, Georges, Casazza, Valley) are already off the table. Can't see Teri trying to pry somebody already committed who she didn't recruit earlier, so she's waiting on Abbey. If not, on to Siobahn (if she's interested/graduated) or a breast or distance transfer. A JC transfer might work, since post-Missy, the team will only have 4 juniors next season.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842378865 said:

As we get to the point of over analyzing every single detail, I think Nora's commitment is a good sign for Abbey coming to Cal. I don't know what Texas' scholly situation is, but I think they were waiting on Abbey's decision before offering another swimmer. I could be completely wrong though. We will find out soon.

BearDevil;842378947 said:

8 seniors, 2 drawing big $s (Denninghoff, Jacques), 5 commits already (2 top 10-Carrozza, McCullagh)-probably can't still add Abbey.

Carol Capitani's a Bear so she's bright enough to know how to build a class/program. UT is a few years away from being an NCAA contender, but they and LSJU are the two biggest recruiting threats to Cal. Great facilities, deep pockets, cool town, good school, have long attracted SoCal swimmers, and have a very good coach.

-----------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]#10 Recruit Nora McCullagh from SwimMAC Verbally Commits to Texas[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]The Texas Longhorns have picked up another major recruit in the class of 2015, earning a verbal commitment on Thursday from SwimMAC Carolina's Nora McCullagh the 10th-ranked recruit in the class of 2015.

That leaves just a single top-10 swimmer, #2 Abbey Weitzeil, uncommitted.

McCullagh will join fellow Junior National Teamers Remedy Rule, Quinn Carrozza, and breaststroker Olivia Anderson, Carol Capitani has filled all of her immediate recruiting needs for the future, and really has earned verbals from a full NCAA-worthy medley relay in that quartet alone.[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/10-recruit-nora-mccullagh-swimmac-verbally-commits-texas/

-----------
juarezbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842378959 said:

-----------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]#10 Recruit Nora McCullagh from SwimMAC Verbally Commits to Texas[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]The Texas Longhorns have picked up another major recruit in the class of 2015, earning a verbal commitment on Thursday from SwimMAC Carolina's Nora McCullagh the 10th-ranked recruit in the class of 2015.

That leaves just a single top-10 swimmer, #2 Abbey Weitzeil, uncommitted.

McCullagh will join fellow Junior National Teamers Remedy Rule, Quinn Carrozza, and breaststroker Olivia Anderson, Carol Capitani has filled all of her immediate recruiting needs for the future, and really has earned verbals from a full NCAA-worthy medley relay in that quartet alone.[/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/10-recruit-nora-mccullagh-swimmac-verbally-commits-texas/

-----------

So is there a deadline for Abbey to commit?
BearDevil
Nora's a great girl and kin to the hush puppy Bears (Maija and Kathleen), but we've seen this movie very recently. When you're down to your last $s, no public school coach would chose out of state Taylor Garcia over Amy or Nora over Abbey. Abbey probably already said no thanks to Texas and Capitani upped her offer to land Nora. Expect Abbey to announce very shortly.
icecream12345
BearDevil;842379050 said:

Nora's a great girl and kin to the hush puppy Bears (Maija and Kathleen), but we've seen this movie very recently. When you're down to your last $s, no public school coach would chose out of state Taylor Garcia over Amy or Nora over Abbey. Abbey probably already said no thanks to Texas and Capitani upped her offer to land Nora. Expect Abbey to announce very shortly.

I would be anything but disappointed if we don't get Abbey b/c we still have an amazing class. But I'm so excited! Let the drum roll begin!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
juarezbear;842379037 said:

I'm not at all acquainted with the collegiate system when it comes to scholarships & such, but here's my limited understanding based on the info at http://www.nationalletter.org/ :

Early signing period for swimmers to officially sign a National Letter of Intent (NLI) = [U]Nov 12 - Nov 19, 2014[/U]

Regular signing period = [U]Apr 15 - Aug 1, 2015[/U].

I think verbal commitments can be given at any time, but without an NLI, they are not binding (e.g. Quinn Carrozza decommitting from UofA and verbaling to UT instead a week and a half ago)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Verbal Commitment? Letter of Intent? Dead Period? What Does It All Mean?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/verbal-commitment-letter-intent-dead-period-mean/

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Amy Bilquist on The Morning Swim Show [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Amy Bilquist, hot on her announcement that she'll attend University of California-Berkeley next fall, talks about the busy months she'll have to close out 2014. The Indiana high school season starts shortly, and she'll be off to the short course world championships in December. Though mostly known lately as a sprint freestyler, she'll be swimming sprint backstroke in Qatar, which will also mark her first time outside the United States.

Bilquist will be traveling out of the United States for the first time in November, attending the short course world championships. She talks about swimming backstroke at the meet despite expecting to be picked for her freestyle prowess. She also talks about moving to Indiana from Arizona and the transition to Chris Plumb's Carmel Swim Club. Bilquist is headed to UC-Berkeley next fall, and she talks about the recruiting process and how she didn't feel pressured to make her decision.

[video=youtube;q755lFsjj1Q][/video]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/amy-bilquist-excited-first-overseas-trip-representing-usa-world-championships-morning-swim-show/

--------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
--------------
Don't believe Katie has been interviewed since her verbal, but here's a video from SwimmingWorld back on [U]June 1, 2014[/U]:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
--------------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Katie McLaughlin on The Morning Swim Show [/SIZE][/COLOR]

National high school record holder Katie McLaughlin relives swimming the fastest 100 fly in history, training at Mission Viejo and being a junior world champion.

[video=youtube;oBesElnvcYY][/video]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/amy-bilquist-excited-first-overseas-trip-representing-usa-world-championships-morning-swim-show/

--------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842369676 said:

'Zona, Cal, LSJU, Minnesota, and Texas are putting together monster classes. Number one may be determined by who gets Weitzeil and/or Bilquist. Siobhan's status (or even if she wants to swim NCAAs) is still an unknown. While I still would like the tedbear dream team, kinda think Teri might be better served by one of (Weitzeil, Bilquist, and Siobhan) and a distance swimmer to complement Cierra. Another breaststroker would have been nice, but the only two who are upgrades over Marina/Maija are King and Scott. Baker's faster than all of them and will likely swim breast legs on the medley relays. She could also score in both breasts, but that would likely be leaving more net points on the table in other events (200 IM, both backs). Baker buys Teri time to see if Marina and/or Miaja develop enough, so a 2015 breastroker isn't absolutely necessary.

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]World Junior Champion [U]Siobhan Haughey[/U] Verbally Commits to Michigan[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/world-junior-champion-siobhan-haughey-verbally-commits-michigan/

-------
IMO a bit of a surprising college choice for Siobhan, but wish her luck! (Actually somewhat relieved she didn't end up at the farm or as a dawg :p)

At least we have Amy (not to forget Kathleen & Katie), with Abbey yet to announce...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

[COLOR="#008080"][SIZE=4]Michigan Women Reel In Another Top Recruit; Siobhan Haughey Headed To Ann Arbor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/michigan-women-reel-another-top-recruit-siobhan-haughey-headed-ann-arbor/

-------
BearDevil
Bless me Oski for I have sinned. Was out to dinner a few weeks ago when I realized that Joe Bottom, 'SC Olympian and brother of Michigan coach Mike Bottom, was having dinner with his daughter and parents at the next table. That Chris Pine guy went to Cal and was in the Star Trek movies, so I figured that was good enough to allow me to Vulcan mind meld Joe to figure out if Bilquist, Abbey, and Cosgrove were going to 'SC. Also tried to work on his daughter to convince her to swim for Teri in another ten or so years since her Uncle Mike was such a successful assistant coach at Cal. Clearly one of those evil Bottoms worked some serious reverse juju on me and poached Siobhan for Michigan. For the record, Joe's an attentive dad and a good son. Probably a really good brother too, but none of that excuses Bear poaching.

Leah Stevens and another recruit I didn't recognize are on the farm this weekend along with the previously announced LSJU commits. With Siobhan off the board, it looks like Abbey or the transfer route to finish off the class.
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842380097 said:

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]World Junior Champion [U]Siobhan Haughey[/U] Verbally Commits to Michigan[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/world-junior-champion-siobhan-haughey-verbally-commits-michigan/

-------
IMO a bit of a surprising college choice for Siobhan, but wish her luck! (Actually somewhat relieved she didn't end up at the farm or as a dawg :p)

At least we have Amy (not to forget Kathleen & Katie), with Abbey yet to announce...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-------

Wow! I hope this is another sign that Teri is supremely confident that Abbey will choose to be a Bear. Siobhan was the back up plan right? I don't think we had enough money for both. I wonder how hard we really recruited her? Like the person in the comments said, this is a huge upset for the HK-Berkeley pipeline. Getting anxious but feeling hopeful about impending Abbey decision. #dreamteam :gobears:
icecream12345
tedbear;842380176 said:

Wow! I hope this is another sign that Teri is supremely confident that Abbey will choose to be a Bear. Siobhan was the back up plan right? I don't think we had enough money for both. I wonder how hard we really recruited her? Like the person in the comments said, this is a huge upset for the HK-Berkeley pipeline. Getting anxious but feeling hopeful about impending Abbey decision. #dreamteam :gobears:

hahaha I hope so tedbear! I wonder if Teri would've taken both Siobhan and Abbey? Man, if Abbey doesn't commit to berkeley, I would be so sad because so far, we've turned all the bad news into a good one using Abbey's commitment as a reason.
BearDevil
juarezbear;842379037 said:

I kinda don't think Teri gave any of this class dead lines because she really didn't have clear plan Bs and the recruits knew that since she didn't recruit anyone else in their stroke groups. Originally I thought that some of the recruits (Amy and Abbey) eliminated schools who then promptly moved on, but it could also be that 'Zona, 'SC, and Texas may have given Amy and Abbey deadlines so they wouldn't miss out on their own plan Bs.

Teri doesn't have enough money for both Abbey and Siobhan, and she wouldn't chose Siobhan over Abbey. Could be that Bottom put Siobhan on the clock and she wasn't sure she had a slot at Cal. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Maija was all set to go to Harvard, but still wanted to take other trips, so they gave her a 24 hour deadline. That's what set her in motion to end up at Cal. Kinda blew up on Harvard since they brought in 2 breastsrokers in that class who were both 2-3 seconds slower than Maija. Cazassa took more than 5 trips over two seasons, but all the other big name 2015 SwimMAC recruits took less than five trips. They probably saw what happened to Maija and wanted to give themselves some wiggle room if something went screwy in their recruiting.

Teri traditionally signs internationals during the late signing period and Bottom may have used that uncertainty to his advantage. Does look like Stevens is a done deal to LSJU, so the best case for Georgia is that they get a maximum of 2 top 20 recruits (Tetzloff and McTaggart) if not get shut out altogther. They have nine seniors and ordinarily Baker, Bilquist, Nora, Konopka, Moroney, and Stevens would be in their wheelhouse.
OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil;842380262 said:

I kinda don't think Teri gave any of this class dead lines because she really didn't have clear plan Bs and the recruits knew that since she didn't recruit anyone else in their stroke groups.
Teri pretty has done well with her plan A because people of the success of her program. CoachG of the WBB probably has the same plan but not as successful when her plan A fails and her teams comes up short because of no plan B (IMO).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842376818 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]btw, don't know if these tweets hold any significance for our dream team, or am I just chasing ghosts and desperately wanting to see a pattern in something that really is just a figment of my wild imagination...likely the latter! :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Mathias Oh @MOHBear [COLOR="#696969"]3 Oct[/COLOR]
Whooooo congrats @kentakahottie #GoBears ������

Mathias Oh @MOHBear [COLOR="#696969"]5 Oct[/COLOR]
It's weird how @AbbeyWeitzeil and I can read eachothers minds ��

------------
Keeping my fingers crossed that Mathias hasn't been trying to talk himself & Abbey into committing to UofA...the suspense & waiting's killing me!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Mathias Oh [COLOR="#696969"]12 Oct[/COLOR]
I'm officially gonna be an Arizona Wildcat! So incredibly blessed and thankful, and I couldn't be more excited. ❤�� #BearDown #D1Bound

------------

tedbear;842378865 said:

As we get to the point of over analyzing every single detail

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Wait a minute, both Abbey & Kathleen appear to be hardcore fans of "The Walking Dead", so I guess there's still hope...isn't there?? lol
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
------------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842381221 said:

officially gonna be an Arizona Wildcat! So incredibly blessed and thankful, and I couldn't be more excited. ❤�� #BearDown #D1Bound

------------

Wonder why Mathias Oh has part of his twitter handle "Bear". Was he pursued by the Cal men team?
BearDevil
Oh was in Tucson on the same recruiting trip with Abbey, Cosgrove, and Ken Takahashi. They're all friends. Gut feeling tells me it's between Cal and 'Zona for Abbey and Cosgrove. If UofA didn't have a shot with Abbey, that would have added Victoria Toris by now. FWIW, I'm still not convinced that Siobhan is a done deal to Michigan. Bottom's a terrific coach and UM's a great school, but Cal has a lot more to offer someone from Hong Kong. Cheng's a captain this year and Hannah Wilson had a terrific time at Cal and has never been shy about making that known. Does concern me a little bit that Kong didn't make the Florida trip. Could be that she was nursing an injury or that she had already missed so much class because of the Asian Games or had a midterm that a professor refused to reschedule. Wouldn't be surprised if Siobhan does sign with UM if Abbey commits to Cal, but wouldn't be surprised in Siobhan decommits if Abbey goes elsewhere.
BearDevil
OBear073akaSMFan;842381254 said:

Wonder why Mathias Oh has part of his twitter handle "Bear". Was he pursued by the Cal men team?

http://swimswam.com/butterflyfreestyle-standout-mathias-oh-makes-verbal-commitment-arizona/

Kinda doubt it. Sprint and fly are needs in this recruiting class, but Oh's times are pretty marginal for Durden's team. Lynch and Gornay are only a year ahead and already are faster in the 'fly. There are also several sprint options on the team already ahead of Oh. Valente and Cosgrove are both still out there and would both add more in their specialties than Oh. Great kid and a good swimmer, but being out of state makes him a worse value proposition than others still on the board.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

[COLOR="#3399cc"][SIZE=3]UCLA Keeps Rolling as All Star's Caroline McTaggart Pledges to be a Bruin[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/ucla-keeps-rolling-stars-caroline-mctaggart-pledges-bruin/

---------
Guess this leaves only three [U]Top 20[/U] women recruits who haven't yet verbaled:

[SIZE=3][COLOR="GREEN"]# 2 [/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"][U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR="GREEN"]#11[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"]Aly Tetzloff[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR="GREEN"]#19[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"]Leah Stevens[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------
BearDevil
Leah Stevens was on the farm this weekend, think she's torn between LSJU and one of the Ivies. UCLA needed 3 sprinters and got them (McTaggart, Pelton, and Alex Hubel). Don't have any room for Victoria Toris. Tetzloff may be waiting to see what happens to Georgia, but she has other options (Auburn, Indiana, Texas). 'SC added Destiny Nelson, yet another to their seemingly never ending conga line of Plan Bs.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842381984 said:

UCLA needed 3 sprinters and got them (McTaggart, Pelton, and Alex Hubel). Don't have any room for Victoria Toris. 'SC added Destiny Nelson, yet another to their seemingly never ending conga line of Plan Bs.

Victoria Toris - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Oct[/COLOR]
So thrilled to say that I've committed to swim at USC for the next four years❤️�� FIGHT ON✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️

[U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: Yayyy you deserve it all and more so proud of you bestie ��

-----------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]14 Oct[/COLOR]
Sooo excited for @victoriammtoris congrats on your commit to USC love you so much I'm so proud of you!!! Love ya lots

[U]Victoria Toris[/U]: @amybilquist I love you we will finally be in the same state again ��������
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: @swimswamnews she committed!!! So excited to be in the same state as my BFF @victoriammtoris �� USC is lucky to have ya

-----------

Victoria Marie Toris - [COLOR="#696969"]18 Oct[/COLOR]
Amy appreciation tweet bc I miss you so much and I'm so proud of you for committing to Cal�� @amybilquist
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]18 Oct[/COLOR]
Victoria appreciation tweet bc I miss you so much and I'm so proud of you for committing to USC✌️❤️�� @victoriammtoris

-----------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]29 Oct[/COLOR]
Miss my fav little Trojan

-----------

Victoria Marie Toris - [COLOR="#696969"]20 Oct[/COLOR]
Luvvvv you @rileyoscott [SIZE=3]❤️✌️��[/SIZE]

-----------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842382017 said:

Victoria Toris - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Oct[/COLOR]
So thrilled to say that I've committed to swim at USC for the next four years❤️�� FIGHT ON✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️✌️

Would feel better if Toris had committed to 'Zona and Tetzloff had committed to Texas. 'SC's been out of it for Abbey for awhile, but UofA and maybe even Texas are still in it for Abbey/Cosgrove. Would love to see Cosgrove as a Bear, but Durden's team will be fine with or without him. Teri's team would be in good, but not great, shape without either Abbey or Siobhan. Both teams aren't satisfied as "just" Pac-12 champs or finishing in the top 3 at NCAAs.
dgong
Neither Weitzeil or Cosgrove are going to be part of an NCAA champion if they choose to spend their next four years in Tucson. The Cal women really need a lockdown sprinter to anchor the 200 free and medley relays since Vredeveld hasn't sniffed her best HS time since joining Cal. My speculation is that Teri could not commit to Siobhan with Weitzeil a possible. We probably won't have to wait too long for a decision by Abby and Cole, and maybe they pull a surprise by going to different schools. Abbey to Georgia and Cole to Texas or Michigan would truly suck, but very unlikely. Do either Abby or Cole care that an Arizona degree has minimal value in the real world?

Cal men in better shape through 2016 NCAAs with Messerschmidt and Murphy, but Cosgrove would be nice sprint insurance going into 2016 recruiting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.