UN report: Effects of climate change even more severe than we thought

35,473 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Palestinian Chicken
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since we're quibbling... didn't he join the ragtag group "Make a Wave Committe", and was then present as a founding member if Greenpeace?

They also got their panties in a bunch with the name of his former company - GreenSpirit.
BearGoggles
dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

I think I posted the letter that Greenpeace wrote to him when he asked to join Greenpeace.

When you ask to join an existing group and that group writes you back on letterhead with that group's name on it I think it's pretty clear you aren't a founder.

Was he a really early member? Yes. Did he work hard to expand Greenpeace? Yes.

Was he a founder? No.

Was Elon Musk a founder of Tesla? No.

This is the same thing.

I also heard Ray Croc didn't found McDonald's and Sunny Balwani didn't found Theranos. This is exciting stuff! I will remember that if they ever speak about the company's direction, they are not founders! Not founders get it!!!!

Why does he find it important to call himself a founder when he was not?

Why not just say "early member" or "former President?"

Why does Joe Biden constantly make up things about his history, like claiming he was arrested visiting Mandela, or lying about his law school class ranking, or lying about having an "epiphany" in high school concerning gay marriage, or lying about being raised in a puerto rican community, and on and on.

And yes, Trump lied even more (just to preempt you).

People who lie a lot should deserve extra scrutiny when making new claims. That is the only relevance as to the new claims. The fact that they lied previously doesn't mean that the current claims are necessarily lies. They need to be addressed on their own merit. So this entire ad hominin discussion is stupid
Eastern Oregon Bear
BearGoggles said:

dimitrig said:

oski003 said:

dimitrig said:

I think I posted the letter that Greenpeace wrote to him when he asked to join Greenpeace.

When you ask to join an existing group and that group writes you back on letterhead with that group's name on it I think it's pretty clear you aren't a founder.

Was he a really early member? Yes. Did he work hard to expand Greenpeace? Yes.

Was he a founder? No.

Was Elon Musk a founder of Tesla? No.

This is the same thing.

I also heard Ray Croc didn't found McDonald's and Sunny Balwani didn't found Theranos. This is exciting stuff! I will remember that if they ever speak about the company's direction, they are not founders! Not founders get it!!!!

Why does he find it important to call himself a founder when he was not?

Why not just say "early member" or "former President?"

Why does Joe Biden constantly make up things about his history, like claiming he was arrested visiting Mandela, or lying about his law school class ranking, or lying about having an "epiphany" in high school concerning gay marriage, or lying about being raised in a puerto rican community, and on and on.

And yes, Trump lied even more (just to preempt you).

People who lie a lot should deserve extra scrutiny when making new claims. That is the only relevance as to the new claims. The fact that they lied previously doesn't mean that the current claims are necessarily lies. They need to be addressed on their own merit. So this entire ad hominin discussion is stupid
Why bring lightning rods like Biden and Trump into the discussion when we were talking about Patrick Moore? Certainly we have plenty of threads specific to Biden and Trump.
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
cbbass1
cbbass1 said:

BearGoggles said:

We have been hearing these doomsday reports for 30+ years and the IPCC's track record is just awful. Now they are at least smart enough to couch their predictions by the "end of the century" so that no one alive today will ever actually be able to point out how absurd their conclusions and projections are. Pure genius..

Conveniently a new report comes out just as "Leaders in the U.S. and European Union are seeking to enact strict new measures to cut greenhouse gas emissions"

My esteemed friends of the left, I am willing to assume arguendo the reports are correct. What are the US and EU going to do about Chinese and Indian emissions? Because the US is actually doing a great job cutting its emissions. But its a drop in the bucket compared to the new emissions created by those (and other countries).
And China & India are saying, "Why should we cut greenhouse gas emissions if the Americans aren't?"

Meanwhile, U.S. Taxpayers continue to subsidize the U.S. oil industry with $16 billion per year, while the industry refuses to stop destroying the planet.

I just spent $6000 repairing storm damage, and there's still a lot more repairs to be done. Yesterday was the third time in the last 3 months that we've had 50+ mph winds. The 9-1-1 system in San Mateo County was absolutely flooded with calls -- so many that they sent an alert to use 9-1-1 for *only* life-threatening emergencies.

More frequent & more intense storms were predicted by oil company scientists back in the 1970s. They knew their product would do this. But instead of developing alternatives, they continue to aggressively fight against any alternative energy, and against any accountability.

The oil industry started in the U.S., and the U.S. oil industry is the world's leader.

Leaders lead. Leaders don't wait for others to step up, or point to them & say, "But they're not doing it!"

By sitting on their hands while the world burns, the oil companies are proving Greta more right every day. They're proving that they don't give a rat's ass what happens to the Earth that sustains us, and they don't care if the human race survives the century.

They should be paying for much of the storm damage throughout the country that their product is causing.
UPDATE: We just got our power back Thursday afternoon. It had been out since 3pm Tuesday -- when we had our FOURTH incidence of 50+ mph winds.

Our electrical, water, sewage, and transportation infrastructure were simply not designed for these levels of extreme weather. Not funding their maintenance & upkeep hasn't helped, either.

The oil & gas industries need to pay for damages.
Eastern Oregon Bear
cbbass1 said:

cbbass1 said:

BearGoggles said:

We have been hearing these doomsday reports for 30+ years and the IPCC's track record is just awful. Now they are at least smart enough to couch their predictions by the "end of the century" so that no one alive today will ever actually be able to point out how absurd their conclusions and projections are. Pure genius..

Conveniently a new report comes out just as "Leaders in the U.S. and European Union are seeking to enact strict new measures to cut greenhouse gas emissions"

My esteemed friends of the left, I am willing to assume arguendo the reports are correct. What are the US and EU going to do about Chinese and Indian emissions? Because the US is actually doing a great job cutting its emissions. But its a drop in the bucket compared to the new emissions created by those (and other countries).
And China & India are saying, "Why should we cut greenhouse gas emissions if the Americans aren't?"

Meanwhile, U.S. Taxpayers continue to subsidize the U.S. oil industry with $16 billion per year, while the industry refuses to stop destroying the planet.

I just spent $6000 repairing storm damage, and there's still a lot more repairs to be done. Yesterday was the third time in the last 3 months that we've had 50+ mph winds. The 9-1-1 system in San Mateo County was absolutely flooded with calls -- so many that they sent an alert to use 9-1-1 for *only* life-threatening emergencies.

More frequent & more intense storms were predicted by oil company scientists back in the 1970s. They knew their product would do this. But instead of developing alternatives, they continue to aggressively fight against any alternative energy, and against any accountability.

The oil industry started in the U.S., and the U.S. oil industry is the world's leader.

Leaders lead. Leaders don't wait for others to step up, or point to them & say, "But they're not doing it!"

By sitting on their hands while the world burns, the oil companies are proving Greta more right every day. They're proving that they don't give a rat's ass what happens to the Earth that sustains us, and they don't care if the human race survives the century.

They should be paying for much of the storm damage throughout the country that their product is causing.
UPDATE: We just got our power back Thursday afternoon. It had been out since 3pm Tuesday -- when we had our FOURTH incidence of 50+ mph winds.

Our electrical, water, sewage, and transportation infrastructure were simply not designed for these levels of extreme weather. Not funding their maintenance & upkeep hasn't helped, either.

The oil & gas industries need to pay for damages.

PG&E has been terrible for decades. It wasn't until I left the Bay Area that I realized that 50 mph winds didn't necessarily mean power failures. Where I'm at now, we frequently have 50 mph winds (maybe 10-12 times this winter and a few times with thunderstorms in the summer). Occasionally we get over 60 mph. We had gusts over 50 mph earlier this evening. A few miles up the road going into the mountains, 70+ mph winds sometimes happen. It's been a couple of years since we've had a power outage. When we do, more often than not, it's because some nimrod crashed into a power pole rather than it being wind damage.
My favorite school days… “There is no substitute.”
movielover
How about looking at incompetent leadership that focuses on trivial items and social experiments for decades.

Our mismanagement of forests is more straightforward. We nearly stopped harvesting and thinning forests. We rarely do controlled burns, stopped cutting fire breaks, and the Sierra Club actually sued to remove fire
breaks! Our forests are unhealthy and clogged with giant mature trees, so existing trees don't get enough water. Ergo, the trees don't produce enough sap, and we then have a beattle infestation which kills tens of millions of trees. We don't even harvest the dead trees for money, so now we have tens of millions of trees rotting and creating a danger to human life. Now we consistently have massive super fires which liberals blame on 'global warming'.

Cal grad Dr. Bill Wattenburg (RIP) discussed this for decades on KGO radio, and sadly, I hear his family residence burned up in a recent fire in Plumas
County.

I don't think 50 MPH winds were created by oil companies. In fact, oil companies helped save the whales, cleaned up our city streets and improved our health and sanitation - no more horse dung and horses dying in the streets.
dajo9
movielover said:

How about looking at incompetent leadership that focuses on trivial items and social experiments for decades.

Our mismanagement of forests is more straightforward. We nearly stopped harvesting and thinning forests. We rarely do controlled burns, stopped cutting fire breaks, and the Sierra Club actually sued to remove fire
breaks! Our forests are unhealthy and clogged with giant mature trees, so existing trees don't get enough water. Ergo, the trees don't produce enough sap, and we then have a beattle infestation which kills tens of millions of trees. We don't even harvest the dead trees for money, so now we have tens of millions of trees rotting and creating a danger to human life. Now we consistently have massive super fires which liberals blame on 'global warming'.

Cal grad Dr. Bill Wattenburg (RIP) discussed this for decades on KGO radio, and sadly, I hear his family residence burned up in a recent fire in Plumas
County.

I don't think 50 MPH winds were created by oil companies. In fact, oil companies helped save the whales, cleaned up our city streets and improved our health and sanitation - no more horse dung and horses dying in the streets.
And we need to rake the forests more
American Vermin
movielover
Definitely need to clean out and burn up the dead branches, dead trees, twigs, weeds, etc. that pile 3', 4', 5' high = FUEL. Unhealthy levels of FUEL leave the forests out of equilibrium, and when a fire does start, instead of it being 100 acres or 1,000 acres, it's 10,000 or 50,000 acres, which isn't controlable and creates its own weather and wind patterns. Animals are trapped, birds are trapped, and the fire burns so hot it destroys the soil.

Fires on a smaller scale are natural and healthy.
dimitrig
movielover said:

County.

I hear oil companies are working on a cure for cancer. I love those guys!

movielover
Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters didn't save the whales. The use of oil was part of our technological revolution. Liberals boast about their German sports cars while deriding what propels it down the freeway.

The Green New Deal policies which skyrocketed nitrogen prices has lead 150 million people into "food insecurity".
movielover
movielover
2021 - Snowpack in Sierras could dissappear in 25 years.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaliforniaWaterForFoodMovement/permalink/3360437310840011/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share&mibextid=KtfwRi
bearister
Headed off the charts': world's ocean surface temperature hits record high

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/08/headed-off-the-charts-worlds-ocean-surface-temperature-hits-record-high?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Did they factor in the costs of warehousing the "spent" nuclear fuel from 660 1 gigawatt nuclear reactors for the next 50,000 years? Or is that something the government will cover?
dajo9
movielover said:

This is a lie.

And thank you for letting us know that Willis Eschenbach is a liar. The commentary that this investment was "wasted" is nowhere to be found in the Bloomberg article.

There may be an argument to be made about nuclear power vs. solar / wind. You can make that argument without lying about what Bloomberg says (trying to give your opinion greater value by attributing your opinion to Bloomberg).

Also, the Bloomberg article says the investment by China was more than triple the investment by the U.S. so can we put to rest the lie that America is signing on to climate improvements that the Chinese are ignoring?
American Vermin
movielover
Solar / wind is a joke - it supplements, you don't run the largest economy in the world on bird-butchering, intermittent sources of energy.

Natural gas is why we achieved so much success the past 20 years, and extremists want to also shut that down while they use green washing to hide their failures.
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Did they factor in the costs of warehousing the "spent" nuclear fuel from 660 1 gigawatt nuclear reactors for the next 50,000 years? Or is that something the government will cover?

I am not an expert on this subject, but according to a nuclear engineer I've talked with, these radioactive waste materials might themselves be reused and repurposed as fuel, or neutralized through better processes down the road, so the storage costs would only apply for a few decades.

Instead of losing trillions in economic activity cutting back on energy use today, we should be investing billions on research in fields like nuclear power.
dajo9
movielover said:

Solar / wind is a joke - it supplements, you don't run the largest economy in the world on bird-butchering, intermittent sources of energy.

Natural gas is why we achieved so much success the past 20 years, and extremists want to also shut that down while the use green washing to hide their failures.
It's fine to have that opinion. Don't lie and say it is Bloomberg's opinion.

I'll give Cal88 some credit - unlike you, his lies usually take a little work to suss out.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks

Uranium doesn't deplete itself for heavy artillery. So at least one byproduct of nuclear fuel is for weapons, and if Russia continues to fight unprovoked wars of aggression, that depleted uranium might come in handy.
Cal88
Handy for what? Generations of horribly malformed babies and cancers?!?

What a moronic thing to say.
movielover
movielover
The Germans never learn.

Unit2Sucks
Why don't you just cut out the middle man and refer us directly to Russian government statements from TASS rather than continually posting a barrage of Kremlin propaganda masquerading as independent views on Twitter?

I wonder if young movielover ever dreamed that one day he would be re-posting low grade Russian propaganda on a sports message board for a school he didn't attend.

This is what I talk about when I mention conservative radicalization. ML is so deep in his misinformation sphere he no longer knows what way is up.
BearHunter
movielover said:

The Germans never learn.

I was told by the Americans that it was the Russians.
movielover
Unit2Sucks said:

Why don't you just cut out the middle man and refer us directly to Russian government statements from TASS rather than continually posting a barrage of Kremlin propaganda masquerading as independent views on Twitter?

I wonder if young movielover ever dreamed that one day he would be re-posting low grade Russian propaganda on a sports message board for a school he didn't attend.

This is what I talk about when I mention conservative radicalization. ML is so deep in his misinformation sphere he no longer knows what
way is up.

Says the man cheering on uranium depleted shells and malformed infants when his Weekend at Bernies POTUS steps in a stinking pile.

The transformation of Libs into warhawks is puzzling.
movielover
bearister
Fungal attacks threaten global food supply, say experts | Fungi | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/may/03/fungal-attacks-threaten-global-food-supply-say-experts

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
But they can't, or won't, answer basic questions. $50 Trillion to eradicate plant food?

movielover
Eastern Oregon Bear
movielover said:

Years of drought followed by a winter of biblical rain and snow in California, widespread inundation in the southern Central Valley, 120 degree temperatures in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia, etc. Yeah, climate change is just a big myth.

Then there's the lie in the first few words about Patrick Moore being a co-founder of Greenpeace. As has been pointed out numerous times, he joined 6-12 months after it was founded.
dajo9
When I moved to New Jersey 20 years ago we had snow on the ground all winter. The last few years snow on the ground more than a few days has been a rarity.
American Vermin
oski003

movielover said:

Years of drought followed by a winter of biblical rain and snow in California, widespread inundation in the southern Central Valley, 120 degree temperatures in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia, etc. Yeah, climate change is just a big myth.

Then there's the lie in the first few words about Patrick Moore being a co-founder of Greenpeace. As has been pointed out numerous times, he joined 6-12 months after it was founded.

The aim of the trip was to halt nuclear tests in Amchitka Island by sailing into the restricted area. Crew on-board the ship, are the pioneers of the green movement who formed the original group that became Greenpeace. Greenpeace / Robert Keziere

https://www.greenpeace.org/international/story/46686/amchitka-the-founding-voyage/

Patrick Moore was on this voyage and became president of Greenpeace Canada.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

movielover said:

The aim of the trip was to halt nuclear tests in Amchitka Island by sailing into the restricted area. Crew on-board the ship, are the pioneers of the green movement who formed the original group that became Greenpeace. Greenpeace / Robert Keziere

https://www.greenpeace.org/international/story/46686/amchitka-the-founding-voyage/

Patrick Moore was on this voyage and became president of Greenpeace Canada.
Yeah, but that voyage was in the planning stages for many months before they started hiring crew members like Patrick Moore.
Eastern Oregon Bear
I stumbled across a couple of articles about the calm and non violent discussions from those who deny Climate Change, though some not only admit Climate Change, they assign blame. I thought I'd pass them along for knowledge and discussion.

Climate deniers use dubious past heat records to sow doubt online

Meteorologists face threats, insults and slander in climate misinfo surge

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.