UN report: Effects of climate change even more severe than we thought

36,327 Views | 450 Replies | Last: 22 days ago by Palestinian Chicken
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well, we are on the same side of music appreciation, anyway. I'll take that.

Once again, I'm not well read on climatic change either. Instinct tells me Big Business mines more dollars out of climate change denial than it does from climate change assertion.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
It's counterintuitive, but there is a lot more money to be made in the carbon credit market.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/global-carbon-credit-market-2023-104800429.html

The research/academic community as well has a huge financial incentive to reinforce the alarmist climate change narrative, billions in research grants, public and private funding. Before it was a thing, the field of climatology was just a small subset of geography departments.

New taxes and restrictions are also sought by governments and regulatory bodies, especially transnational ones.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

This is the crap I was referring to as PR stunt, a polite way of saying hypocritical manipulation of facts designed to keep people on an emotional plane, look at this headline and map color scheme from the article above:

Look at this recent BBC news weather map:

29C is 84F. Italy and the south of France are ABSOLUTELY BOILING because in the middle of July, the temperatures are in the 80sF! And it's all your fault, you and your steaks, your car and your annual vacation trip!
49C/104F in Seville and 43C/109F in Marrakech seems kind of hot, even for them.
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal88 said:

This is the crap I was referring to as PR stunt, a polite way of saying hypocritical manipulation of facts designed to keep people on an emotional plane, look at this headline and map color scheme from the article above:

29C is 84F. Italy and the south of France are ABSOLUTELY BOILING because in the middle of July, the temperatures are in the 80sF! And it's all your fault, you and your steaks, your car and your annual vacation trip!

It's 40C, not 49C, I guess it was a typo though because 104F is 40C. Seville is the hottest city in all of Europe (nice dry heat though, frankly better than a hot muggy day in NYC), and 40C is a normal high in Seville for mid-july. Probably the same for Marakesh:

Quote:

July is generally a very hot month in Marrakech. However, there are remarkable differences between night and day. The average temperature is of 29.2 C (85 F), with a minimum of 20.6 C (69.1 F) and a maximum of 37.7 C (99.9 F).
On the coldest nights of the month, the temperature usually drops to around 16.5 C (62 F). However, it dropped to 14.2 C (57.6 F) in July 1997.

On the warmest days of the month, the temperature usually reaches around 44.5 C (112 F). However, it reached 49.6 C (121.3 F) in July 2012.
https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/morocco/marrakesh
BearHunter
Cal88 said:

dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Spanish minister pulls a Buttigig:

It's a PR stunt.

You don't expect her to bicycle around everywhere, do you?

That summarizes the bulk of the alarmist climate discourse.

Keeping up with appearances goes hand in hand with being a member of a cult.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

Cal88 said:

It's 40C, not 49C, I guess it was a typo though because 104F is 40C. Seville is the hottest city in all of Europe (nice dry heat though, frankly better than a hot muggy day in NYC), and 40C is a normal high in Seville for mid-july. Probably the same for Marakesh:

Quote:

July is generally a very hot month in Marrakech. However, there are remarkable differences between night and day. The average temperature is of 29.2 C (85 F), with a minimum of 20.6 C (69.1 F) and a maximum of 37.7 C (99.9 F).
On the coldest nights of the month, the temperature usually drops to around 16.5 C (62 F). However, it dropped to 14.2 C (57.6 F) in July 1997.

On the warmest days of the month, the temperature usually reaches around 44.5 C (112 F). However, it reached 49.6 C (121.3 F) in July 2012.
https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/morocco/marrakesh
Yes, the 49C was a typo. I fat fingered it on my tiny phone keyboard. My source (NOAA) has Seville with average highs of 96 in July and Marrakech with an average high of 99, so they were both about 8 to 10 degrees above normal. It's a couple of degrees less using your website.
bearister
I read that a lot of weather misinformation is spread by meteorologists on Mexican television. I think a lot more study of that theory is required.

movielover
Cal88 said:

It's counterintuitive, but there is a lot more money to be made in the carbon credit market.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/global-carbon-credit-market-2023-104800429.html

The research/academic community as well has a huge financial incentive to reinforce the alarmist climate change narrative, billions in research grants, public and private funding. Before it was a thing, the field of climatology was just a small subset of geography departments.

New taxes and restrictions are also sought by governments and regulatory bodies, especially transnational ones.

The cost of new construction to have government buildings platinum rated is outrageous!
Cal88
IQue calor!

Quote:

Yes, the 49C was a typo. I fat fingered it on my tiny phone keyboard. My source (NOAA) has Seville with average highs of 96 in July and Marrakech with an average high of 99, so they were both about 8 to 10 degrees above normal. It's a couple of degrees less using your website.

Yes those temps certainly are not out of the ordinary, well within mid-Summer high norms.

One point I've picked up as well is that those cities in the southwestern corner were selected because they are the hottest in their countries. The main city in Morocco is Casablanca, which is much bigger than Marrakech, and which has great climate, not unlike coastal southern California. On a day when it's 40C/104F in Marrakech, it would be 80F in Casablanca. Likewise they could have put Barcelona, Valencia or even touristy Malaga as their other Spanish city, but they chose instead Seville, which is less of a destination and not as large a city as those mentioned. They probably picked it because it was the hottest place. Murcia as well is a relatively smaller city that is located inland and on average hotter than the larger coastal mediterrannean cities.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

IQue calor!

Quote:

Yes those temps certainly are not out of the ordinary, well within mid-Summer high norms.

One point I've picked up as well is that those cities in the southwestern corner were selected because they are the hottest in their countries. The main city in Morocco is Casablanca, which is much bigger than Marrakech, and which has great climate, not unlike coastal southern California. On a day when it's 40C/104F in Marrakech, it would be 80F in Casablanca. Likewise they could have put Barcelona, Valencia or even touristy Malaga as their other Spanish city, but they chose instead Seville, which is less of a destination and not as large a city as those mentioned. They probably picked it because it was the hottest place. Murcia as well is a relatively smaller city that is located inland and on average hotter than the larger coastal mediterrannean cities.
Have you looked at more than one day's forecast? I'd expect the cities displayed would change from day to day though major cities would appear more often. It looks like a British morning news show, so I expect it would also favor cities that have the most British tourists. As far as the color scheme, it's summer. It's natural to use warm colors at this time of year. However, I expect you'll continue to blame a vast behind the scenes climate conspiracy micromanaging even the smallest details of morning news shows.
Cal88
They did change the weather forecast color schemes recently, not just in the UK but also in other European countries as well. That was the whole reason behind that tweet, people in the UK have noticed. That color scheme would be fine in a 1969 acid party, but it looks ridiculous on a TV show.

Those cities in the map as well aren't popular British tourist destinations. Malaga, Barcelona in Spain, and coastal cities like Tangiers, Casablanca, Agadir in Morocco would have been the tourist choice destinations. Marrakesh is a winter destination, too hot to visit midsummer, kind of like Palm Springs, scorching hot in the summer with no beaches.
movielover
GRIPT: NOBEL LAUREATE: "CLIMATE SCIENCE HAS METASTASIZED INTO MASSIVE SHOCK-JOURNALISTIC PSEUDOSCIENCE"

Dr. John F. Clauser, joint recipient of the 2022 Nobel Prize in Physics, has criticized the climate emergency narrative calling it "a dangerous corruption of science that threatens the world's economy and the well-being of billions of people."

"In a statement issued by the CO2 coalition, Nobel Laureate John Clauser Elected to CO2 Coalition Board of Directors CO2 Coalition Dr. Clauser said that "there is no climate crisis and that increasing CO2 concentrations will benefit the world"

"He criticized the prevalent climate models as being unreliable and not accounting for the dramatic temperature-stabilizing feedback of clouds, which he says is more than fifty times as powerful as the radiative forcing effect of CO2...."

"..."In my opinion, there is no real climate crisis. There is, however, a very real problem with providing a decent standard of living to the world's expanding population, especially given an associated energy crisis. The latter is being unnecessarily exacerbated by what, in my opinion, is incorrect climate science," he said."

https://gript.ie/nobel-laureate-climate-science-has-metastasized-into-massive-shock-journalistic-pseudoscience/

dimitrig
Consensus Koala said:

Cal88 said:

IQue calor!

Quote:

Have you looked at more than one day's forecast? I'd expect the cities displayed would change from day to day though major cities would appear more often. It looks like a British morning news show, so I expect it would also favor cities that have the most British tourists. As far as the color scheme, it's summer. It's natural to use warm colors at this time of year. However, I expect you'll continue to blame a vast behind the scenes climate conspiracy micromanaging even the smallest details of morning news shows.

Yes, she did. Do you have a point?

BearHunter
Kamala knows they're too many Democrats around screwing things up.
dimitrig
BearHunter said:

Kamala knows they're too many Democrats around screwing things up.

In the official White House transcript of the speech, the word "population" is crossed out, and replaced with the word "pollution" which Harris was meant to have said.

Link:
https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harris-reduce-population-speech-1813149?amp=1

However, if she did mean to say reduce population I am fine with that. Fewer people means a better future for the planet.

movielover
According to who or what? Less doctors, less engineers?

Scrub grass > teachers?
dimitrig
movielover said:

According to who or what? Less doctors, less engineers?

Scrub grass > teachers?

Fewer Republicans would be a good start

Eastern Oregon Bear
Consensus Koala said:

Cal88 said:

IQue calor!

Quote:

I don't understand the connection between what I said and the video you posted.

I also don't see how you missed what was an obvious verbal blooper. You thought she was making a connection between clean energy, electric cars and "population" reduction? I guess all you saw was a gotcha moment. Newsflash: people make verbal mistakes. Even St. Donald.
concordtom

Consensus Koala said:

Cal88 said:

IQue calor!

Quote:

I don't understand the connection between what I said and the video you posted.

I also don't see how you missed what was an obvious verbal blooper. You thought she was making a connection between clean energy, electric cars and "population" reduction? I guess all you saw was a gotcha moment. Newsflash: people make verbal mistakes. Even St. Donald.

Birth control, buddy.
Birth control.

Do you have a problem with condoms or the pill or rhythm?
Or do prefer to have a baby every time you get horny?

Birth control begins with education.

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/our-work/programs/gender-equality/family-planning
movielover
Cal88
Tiktok dancing nurses saving the world, once again:

https://t.me/davidavocadowolfe/102505
bearister
Lahaina burning

https://abc7news.com/hawaii-wildfires-strong-winds-maui/13622866/
bearister
The culture war is a major problem for climate action | The Seattle Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/07/opinion/climate-is-now-a-culture-war-issue.html

"True, greed is still a major factor in anti-environmentalism. But climate denial has also become a front in the culture wars, with right-wingers rejecting the science in part because they dislike science in general and opposing action against emissions out of visceral opposition to anything liberals support.

……The Heritage Foundation is spearheading an effort called Project 2025 that will probably define the agenda if a Republican wins the White House next year. As The New York Times reports, it calls for "dismantling almost every clean energy program in the federal government and boosting the production of fossil fuels."

What's behind this destructive effort? Well, Project 2025 appears to have been largely devised by the usual suspects fossil-fueled think tanks such as the Heartland Institute and the Competitive Enterprise Institute that have been crusading against climate science and climate action for many years.

…..About attitudes toward science: As recently as the mid-2000s, Republicans and Democrats had similar levels of trust in the scientific community. Since then, however, Republican trust has plunged as Democratic trust has risen; there's now a 30-point gap between the parties.

…my colleague David Brooks argued that many Republicans dispute the reality of climate change and push for fossil fuels as a way to "offend the elites." He's right."

Biden Crime Family
bearister said:

…..About attitudes toward science: As recently as the mid-2000s, Republicans and Democrats had similar levels of trust in the scientific community. Since then, however, Republican trust has plunged as Democratic trust has risen; there's now a 30-point gap between the parties.
Gee, I wonder what giant lies Big Science might have told and got caught in that caused that plunge in trust?

The lesson there isn't "why don't Republicans trust scientists?" nearly as much as it "Are Democrats mentally deficient?"
bearister
Enumerate the Giant Lies science is trying to mislead us with regarding Climate Change.

* "Bernie will declare a national emergency on climate change and take immediate, large-scale action to reverse its effects. This is an existential threat and we will do whatever it takes to confront it."
https://berniesanders.com/issues/green-new-deal/#:~:text=Declare%20a%20climate%20emergency.&text=Bernie%20will%20declare%20a%20national,it%20takes%20to%20confront%20it.
Biden Crime Family
bearister said:

Lahaina burning

dimitrig
10% For The Big Guy said:

bearister said:

Lahaina burning

sonofabear51
Yep, throw more paper towels 'big guy'. big guy, go away.
Start Slowly and taper off
Biden Crime Family
dimitrig said:

10% For The Big Guy said:

bearister said:

Lahaina burning

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AgonizingWellinformedArgusfish-size_restricted.gif
Nothing amuses me more deeply than LARPing BI liberals thinking that Trump whataboutism means a thing to me.
Biden Crime Family
movielover said:

BearHunter
chazzed

Cal88
Changes in concentration of CO2, a trace gas of the order of 400 parts per million, have no effect on the "cleanliness and health" of the environment of Montana, other that noticeably increasing the rate of plant growth. Any potential temperature increase would be minute, and would actually improve life in Montana, which has a climate with frigid winters.
calbear93
chazzed said:

This won't survive any challenge. And so she sends it back the legislative body that will not pass anything accordingly.

I think climate change is real, but it is like wearing those knitted facial masks during covid. Pointess and purely performative. Montana alone will not impact anything about climate change. It has to be a global alignment without exempting / approving different standards for the worst polluters in China and India. We have to do something but this ruling is like thinking posting on BI where not one opinion has changed in the history of BI is making an impact on political sanity.
Eastern Oregon Bear
calbear93 said:

chazzed said:

This won't survive any challenge. And so she sends it back the legislative body that will not pass anything accordingly.

I think climate change is real, but it is like wearing those knitted facial masks during covid. Pointess and purely performative. Montana alone will not impact anything about climate change. It has to be a global alignment without exempting / approving different standards for the worst polluters in China and India. We have to do something but this ruling is like thinking posting on BI where not one opinion has changed in the history of BI is making an impact on political sanity.
Shrugging our shoulders and doing nothing while we point fingers at that country and that country for being so much worse doesn't seem like a constructive solution.

If I'm headed for a tree at 60 mph, I'd still hit the brakes so I could hit it at 30 mph instead.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.