The Official Russian Invasion of Ukraine Thread

599,369 Views | 8586 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Taiwan is part of China? I think Taiwan might disagree.

You have zero understanding of Chinese history. It's that kind of naive arrogance and ignorance that might end up bringing WW3 about.

There is no official entity called Taiwan, not even on that island itself. That island is the home to the Republic of China, while the mainland is the People's Republic of China. Both governments claim the other party as theirs.

The US and the rest of the international community have also acknowledged the One China policy, and almost all recognize the PRC as "China", because it represents 98.6% of Chinese population and 99.4% of Chinese territory, rather than the 1.4% who live on the small island near the mainland and represent the other political entity.

Whether out of shortsightedness, ignorance or shear exceptionalist arrogance, politicians like Pelosi as well as Rep. chickenhawks in the McCain/Cheney mold have been pushing the ROC to officially relinquish its status and become an independent republic of Taiwan. This is going to automatically trigger the invasion of this island by the PRC, a war where the US will have to be involved more directly than in Ukraine, in a conflict that could easily spiral into WW3.

It's also a war that the PRC has been preparing for for the last several decades, and a war that they will absolutely win, regardless of what it might cost them in human life or economic loss, or how many American aircraft carriers they will have to sink in the process.

So once again, idiots people are leading Taiwan down the primrose path, which would result in them being wrecked. The parallels with Ukraine are striking...

To the extent that anyone can "win" a war between the US and China it wouldn't be China that comes out ahead. Even the Chinese would admit that.

How many wars has China fought lately? I think they will find themselves woefully unprepared compared to the US which has been fighting wars across the globe for the better part of last century and all of this century.
Cal88's version or "realism" is blamelessly accepting that bullies around the world can do whatever they want but that the US is irredeemably flawed and incapable of influencing anything. His realism never extends to accepting that the US has strength due to market power, military might and as the most desirable place for people the world over. Rather he would note that the US should consider itself overmatched by Russia, China, Syria and who knows where else.

Obviously if there is a "war" between China and Taiwan, China will have its way. And historically China has run wild over its population with reckless disregard and fairly little pushback but a lot has changed in the last few decades. The rise of the Chinese middle class has been incredible and made it harder for the CCP to have its way without worrying about blowback. To be clear, the CCP needs to worry about what Chinese people think about before invading and destroying Taiwan and the US can influence that state of affairs if it should so choose.

This is a good article discussing how things really are.

Quote:

Most in Washington believe that to the extent that Chinese citizens have independent views, they would not dare to share them because of the dangers of doing so.

This simplistic view of Chinese public opinion is off base. People in China have diverse and well-formed views on a wide range of public policy issues. Not all citizens are supportive of current government policies, nor do all their views reflect state propaganda. And, despite the risks, they are willing to share their opinions.

By contrast, Pan and Xu's research shows that, on average, wealthier and more educated Chinese are more, not less likely, to hold politically liberal, pro-market, and non-nationalistic views. This is particularly significant at a time when the government is taking an increasingly illiberal, statist, and nationalistic turn. While not a sign that China is on its way to democratization, the data indicate that the party-state must contend with well-formed ideological views among its citizens that diverge with its own and is pursuing policies that face substantial, even if quiet, public opposition.

Pan and Xu argue that plenty of Chinese are very patriotic but very few are supportive of war in pursuit of those goals. This is especially true for wealthier, more educated respondents. This finding echoes the results of a survey from two decades ago, which showed that China's emerging middle class was far more internationalist and opposed to militarism than other social groups.

Also, his history of Taiwan is somewhat laughable. My Taiwanese friends certainly don't subscribe to his views.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

You have zero understanding of Chinese history. It's that kind of naive arrogance and ignorance that might end up bringing WW3 about.

There is no official entity called Taiwan, not even on that island itself. That island is the home to the Republic of China, while the mainland is the People's Republic of China. Both governments claim the other party as theirs.

No, I'm well aware of that. I'm just using the "Taiwan" name for colloquial efficiency.

Regardless, these two entities would not consider themselves the SAME country. The people who live on Taiwan would not consider themselves part of the People's Republic of China.
golden sloth
I think that if China invades taiwan, the motivation is far more likely to be China's own internal instability and the need for a distraction/external foe, than anything else.

Their property market is collapsing, protests are springing up over the collapse and subsequent mortgage payments which are being violently suppressed, they are committing genocide on the uighars, they have recently violently suppressed Hong Kong's autonomy protests, they had rolling black outs that the leadership tried to hide from Xi for months, the zero covid policy is being violently enforced, the belt and road initiative is having marginal results as lot of the investment is being siphoned by corruption in the target countries, Xi is the most insulated leader in the world, and most of the rest of its neighbors hate/dont trust them.

That said, the US can never invade China, and China can never extend beyond the first island chain. A war would not have a winner.
Big C
golden sloth said:

I think that if China invades taiwan, the motivation is far more likely to be China's own internal instability and the need for a distraction/external foe, than anything else.

Their property market is collapsing, protests are springing up over the collapse and subsequent mortgage payments which are being violently suppressed, they are committing genocide on the uighars, they have recently violently suppressed Hong Kong's autonomy protests, they had rolling black outs that the leadership tried to hide from Xi for months, the zero covid policy is being violently enforced, the belt and road initiative is having marginal results as lot of the investment is being siphoned by corruption in the target countries, Xi is the most insulated leader in the world, and most of the rest of its neighbors hate/dont trust them.

That said, the US can never invade China, and China can never extend beyond the first island chain. A war would not have a winner.

Gee and I had heard that China was some sort of super state because they could "get s*** done". They actually have problems?!?
Unit2Sucks
Pentagon now saying that Russia has suffered up to 80k casualties so far in the war. I guess they aren't getting their info from fake magazine covers from the 70's or reputable international websites like bulgarianmilitary.com.

Quote:

Pentagon official: Russia has had between 70,000 to 80,000 casualties so far in Ukraine-Russia conflict

Russia has had about 70,000 to 80,000 casualties so far in the ongoing conflict between Ukraine and Russia, Colin Kahl, Defense Department under secretary for policy, said during an on-camera briefing at the Pentagon on Monday. This figure includes both Russian forces killed and wounded in action.
Quote:

"I think it's safe to suggest that the Russians have probably taken 70 or 80,000 casualties in the less than six months. Now that is a combination of killed in action and wounded in action, that number might be a little lower, little higher, but I think that's kind of in the ballpark," Kahl said.
Kahl said that number of casualties from Russian forces is "remarkable" considering Russia has "achieved none of Vladimir Putin's objectives" since invading Ukraine at the end of February.

"The Ukrainian morale and will to fight is unquestioned, and much higher I think than the average will to fight on the Russian side, so I think that gives the Ukrainians a significant advantage," Kahl added.

Big C

How are things internally in Russia lately? Because there's that old saying that Russian wars end when Russian mothers get tired of seeing their sons come home in body bags. 80,000 isn't a lot compared to WW2, but it's still a lot. Has Putin been concealing the deaths? Seems like a problem to be able to drum up support for this war in Russia,
concordtom
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

I have the same shirt Zelensky likes to wear.

It's just insane the action I can get now, since March, when I started dressing like Zelenskyy. I'm not in the market, but still...

Chicks: Ooh, soldier, what do you do?
Me: I post on BI, sweetheart.
Chicks: Ooh, I love BI! But why do you dress like that... not that I'm complaining!
Me: I'm a war-time poster. Even my boxer-briefs are army green.
Chicks: Ooooh!!!

Lolol

Oh, this is classic!
I'm glad I scrolled back to find!

BI is a place where we come to discuss issues in earnest, to rank on the few stupid people here, to cheer on each other's smart insights and valuable news feeds posts, and to flat out tell jokes. Mocking jokes.
Funny, it's often the same people being mocked over and over again.

Most have left. But the staying power of those who remain is immense.

Mob rules! Know when you're outnumbered 10-1.

concordtom
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

This photo shoot is such a weird thing for Putin fans to hang their hats on. Why should anyone care that a politician and his wife did photos and an interview for Vogue? What minds are you trying to change with this?

I think history will remember Zelensky for a long time and remember him kindly. He doesn't have to be perfect. Churchill was far from perfect. Unlike most of us, he would have made an impact in his role and would have inspired when the world needed him. History won't care about any one of us.

And then there's this:

concordtom
Unit2Sucks said:

We may just be seeing the tip of the iceberg on Russian war atrocities.

Truly sad.
Nobody wins in war.
I'm fleeing to Canada. Or New Zealand.
concordtom
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

The US and the rest of the international community have also acknowledged the One China policy, and almost all recognize the PRC as "China", because it represents 98.6% of Chinese population and 99.4% of Chinese territory, rather than the 1.4% who live on the small island near the mainland and represent the other political entity.

Whether out of shortsightedness, ignorance or shear exceptionalist arrogance, politicians like Pelosi as well as Rep. chickenhawks in the McCain/Cheney mold have been pushing the ROC to officially relinquish its status and become an independent republic of Taiwan. This is going to automatically trigger the invasion of this island by the PRC, a war where the US will have to be involved more directly than in Ukraine, in a conflict that could easily spiral into WW3.

It's also a war that the PRC has been preparing for for the last several decades, and a war that they will absolutely win, regardless of what it might cost them in human life or economic loss, or how many American aircraft carriers they will have to sink in the process.

So once again, idiots people are leading Taiwan down the primrose path, which would result in them being wrecked. The parallels with Ukraine are striking...

I created a thread called Taiwan.
In it, I posted a couple history videos about how the current leadership of the island began.
It was explained that two governments in China were at civil war.
As the communist govt gained control, the RoC fled to one last defensible corner: Taiwan.

So, that conflict was never settled. Still two factions at odds.

In your post, you've assumed that because the continental population is so much greater than the Taiwan population, they automatically own Taiwan?

Please explain.
BearForce2

Why did Finland and Sweden join NATO now in 2022? Biden doesn't really know.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Unit2Sucks
Take this with a grain of salt, since it's not from bulgarianmilitary.com, but it seems like Russian air superiority isn't so superior after all.

bearister
Putin goes Dirty Dozen:

"The prisoners at the penal colony in St. Petersburg were expecting a visit by officials, thinking it would be some sort of inspection. Instead, men in uniform arrived and offered them amnesty if they agreed to fight alongside the Russian army in Ukraine."

Russia struggles to replenish its troops in Ukraine | AP News

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-world-news-st-petersburg-treatment-of-prisoners-f20273227cf4c4e65ba6f4866dc975ea

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
More evidence of state of the art weapons systems that Cal88 brags about.

And this is the "realism" that Cal88 supports.

Big C
bearister said:

Putin goes Dirty Dozen:

"The prisoners at the penal colony in St. Petersburg were expecting a visit by officials, thinking it would be some sort of inspection. Instead, men in uniform arrived and offered them amnesty if they agreed to fight alongside the Russian army in Ukraine."

Russia struggles to replenish its troops in Ukraine | AP News

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-world-news-st-petersburg-treatment-of-prisoners-f20273227cf4c4e65ba6f4866dc975ea

My experiences having met a number of Ukranian refugees in the 1990s is that, during the USSR era, there was quite a bit of intermingling between native Ukrainians and Russians and that there are quite a few folks in the greater Ukraine area who, up until the Russian invasion, didn't really have a strong feeling one way or the other for Ukraine or Russia. They just wanted to have a nice life for themselves.

The one family I still keep in touch with liked the USSR okay, but now, no surprise, they hate Putin.

I was discussing the situation recently with a Cal History prof (specialty in a different area of the world), who said Putin is a completely rational actor. I had to disagree. He may have been, at one time.
Unit2Sucks
More Russian military brilliance. We will have to wait for this to hit the big websites like bulgariamilitary.com and conspiraciesRus before Cal88 will be able to respond.

Cal88
Big C said:

My experiences having met a number of Ukranian refugees in the 1990s is that, during the USSR era, there was quite a bit of intermingling between native Ukrainians and Russians and that there are quite a few folks in the greater Ukraine area who, up until the Russian invasion, didn't really have a strong feeling one way or the other for Ukraine or Russia. They just wanted to have a nice life for themselves.

The one family I still keep in touch with liked the USSR okay, but now, no surprise, they hate Putin.

I was discussing the situation recently with a Cal History prof (specialty in a different area of the world), who said Putin is a completely rational actor. I had to disagree. He may have been, at one time.

Here is a good compilation of policy experts who agree with that prof:

thread highlights:

George Kennan, arguably America's greatest ever foreign policy strategist, the architect of the U.S. cold war strategy. As soon as 1998 he warned that NATO expansion was a "tragic mistake" that ought to ultimately provoke a "bad reaction from Russia".

Kissinger, in 2014 - He warned that "to Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country" and that the West therefore needs a policy that is aimed at "reconciliation". He was also adamant that "Ukraine should not join NATO"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/henry-kissinger-to-settle-the-ukraine-crisis-start-at-the-end/2014/03/05/46dad868-a496-11e3-8466-d34c451760b9_story.html

John Mearsheimer - probably the leading geopolitical scholar in the US today - in 2015: "The West is leading Ukraine down the primrose path and the end result is that Ukraine is going to get wrecked [...] What we're doing is in fact encouraging that outcome."

Jack F. Matlock Jr., US Ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1987-1991, warning in 1997 that NATO expansion was "the most profound strategic blunder, [encouraging] a chain of events that could produce the most serious security threat [...] since the Soviet Union collapsed"

Clinton's defense secretary William Perry explaining in his memoir that to him NATO enlargement is the cause of "the rupture in relations with Russia" and that in 1996 he was so opposed to it that "in the strength of my conviction, I considered resigning".

Noam Chomsky in 2015, saying that "the idea that Ukraine might join a Western military alliance would be quite unacceptable to any Russian leader" and that Ukraine's desire to join NATO "is not protecting Ukraine, it is threatening Ukraine with major war."

Stephen Cohen, a famed scholar of Russian studies, warning in 2014 that "if we move NATO forces toward Russia's borders [...] it's obviously gonna militarize the situation [and] Russia will not back off, this is existential"

famous Russian-American journalist Vladimir Pozner, in 2018, who says that NATO expansion in Ukraine is unacceptable to the Russian, that there has to be a compromise where "Ukraine, guaranteed, will not become a member of NATO."

famous economist Jeffrey Sachs writing a column in the FT warning that "NATO enlargement is utterly misguided and risky. True friends of Ukraine, and of global peace, should be calling for a US and NATO compromise with Russia."

CIA director Bill Burns in 2008:
"Ukrainian entry into NATO is the brightest of all redlines for [Russia]" and "I have yet to find anyone who views Ukraine in NATO as anything other than a direct challenge to Russian interests"

Wikileaks cable from 2008 by Bill Burns when he was ambassador to Russia:

In 1997, 50 prominent foreign policy experts (former senators, military officers, diplomats, etc.) sent an open letter to Clinton outlining their opposition to NATO expansion. It's a "policy error of historic proportions" they write

George Beebe who used to be the CIA's top Russia analyst who in January this year linked Russia's actions in Ukraine directly to NATO expansion,

Ted Galen Carpenter, Cato Institute's senior fellow for defense and foreign policy studies, wrote in a 1994 book that NATO expansion "would constitute a needless provocation of Russia." Today he adds "we are now paying the price for the US's arrogance".
Many predicted Nato expansion would lead to war. Those warnings were ignored
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/28/nato-expansion-war-russia-ukraine

Frank Blackaby, former director of SIPRI, writing in 1996 that "any Russian Government will react, militarily as well as politically to [NATO's expansion]" and that it makes "Europe drift [...] towards Cold War II".

legendary journalist John Pilger wrote this article in 2014: https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/13/ukraine-us-war-russia-john-pilger He describes Ukraine as having become a "CIA theme park", a situation that he foresaw would lead to "a Nato-run guerrilla war"

Ukrainian presidential advisor Oleksiy Arestovych in 2015. He says that if Ukraine continues down the path of joining NATO "it will prompt Russia to launch a large scale military operation [...] before we join NATO", "with a probability of 99.9%", likely "in 2021-2022".

even the Pope agrees with this, I had to add it "Pope Says NATO Might Have Provoked Russian Invasion of Ukraine"

Malcolm Fraser, 22nd prime minister of Australia, warned in 2014 that "the move east [by NATO is] provocative, unwise and a very clear signal to Russia". He adds that this leads to a "difficult and extraordinarily dangerous problem".

Paul Keating, former Australian PM, in 1997: expanding NATO is "an error which may rank in the end with the strategic miscalculations which prevented Germany from taking its full place in the international system [in early 20th]"

Former US defense secretary Bob Gates in his 2015 memoirs: "Moving so quickly [to expand NATO] was a mistake. [...] Trying to bring Georgia and Ukraine into NATO was truly overreaching [and] an especially monumental provocation"

Sir Roderic Lyne, former British ambassador to Russia, warned a year ago that "[pushing] Ukraine into NATO [...] is stupid on every level." He adds "if you want to start a war with Russia, that's the best way of doing it."

Pat Buchanan, in his 1999 book A Republic, Not an Empire: "By moving NATO onto Russia's front porch, we have scheduled a twenty-first-century confrontation."

Bill Bradley, former U.S. Senator and candidate for the Democratic nomination for President. "We kicked [Russia] when they were down, we expanded NATO. [...] It was a blunder of monumental proportions [and] a self-fulfilling prophecy."

It's fair to say there has rarely been a conflict that so many strategic thinkers from the other camp saw coming and warned against for so many years, yet had their advice ignored. This begs the question: why?

AunBear89
Kissinger has been wrong about a lot of things. Probably not the best source to trot out to support your Putin man-crush.
Big C
Cal88 said:

Big C said:

Here is a good compilation of policy experts who agree with that prof:

thread highlights:

George Kennan, arguably America's greatest ever foreign policy strategist, the architect of the U.S. cold war strategy. As soon as 1998 he warned that NATO expansion was a "tragic mistake" that ought to ultimately provoke a "bad reaction from Russia".

Kissinger, in 2014 - He warned that "to Russia, Ukraine can never be just a foreign country" and that the West therefore needs a policy that is aimed at "reconciliation". He was also adamant that "Ukraine should not join NATO"

Remember that I am largely in agreement with you about the NATO thing...

The reason I don't believe Putin is a "rational actor" anymore:

What leader allows himself to be so isolated from his own military capabilities that he commits the spectacular military blunder that was the initial invasion of Ukraine?

What rational actor gets involved in a war in which -- even if successful militarily -- it is almost impossible to see any good long-term outcome for his country?

What rational actor needs to sit across a 30 foot table from people like a nutty germophobe?

Okay, some of this is dependent on one's definition of what a "rational actor" is. I just see Mr. New Bloaty Face as someone who has recently started to slide off the deep end.
Cal88
AunBear89 said:

Kissinger has been wrong about a lot of things. Probably not the best source to trot out to support your Putin man-crush.

Alright then, tell me more about the "Putin man-crush" of the ~70 other policy experts I've quoted above who have also stated that moving NATO's borders to Russia was a horrible mistake that would result in a major war with Russia and the destruction of Ukraine.

(Probably shouldn't have addressed a serious question to you personally because it's waaay above your pay grade, but as it, focusing on Kissinger, who has a checkered past, is pretty short-sighted in light of the evidence I have provided above on the feedback from that large group of policy experts who concur with his geopolitical analysis.)
Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

AunBear89 said:

Alright then, tell me more about the "Putin man-crush" of the ~70 other policy experts I've quoted above who have also stated that moving NATO's borders to Russia was a horrible mistake that would result in a major war with Russia and the destruction of Ukraine.

(Probably shouldn't have addressed a serious question to you personally because it's waaay above your pay grade, but as it, focusing on Kissinger, who has a checkered past, is pretty short-sighted in light of the evidence I have provided above on the feedback from that large group of policy experts who concur with his geopolitical analysis.)

Can you point us to where any of those 70 experts justify war crimes or attack victims of war crimes and unprovoked aggression?

As far as I can tell, the take away is that Russia's fascist/non democratic elements will oppose NATO expansion. None of them support fascism or Putin's regime. None of them carry his water the way you do.

And lest we forget, this war directly lead to the expansion of NATO with Finland and Sweden. There was no timetable for the addition of Ukraine. As much as you want to pretend that adding Ukraine to NATO forced Putin to commit atrocities and war crimes, that isn't going to fly. It's just propaganda like the other BS you regularly fall for, including the false justification that Putin committed war crimes bedside he wanted to rid Ukraine of Nazis or because he cares about Russian speaking people there.

The only thing your post was missing was fake magazine covers from the 80's and links to Bulgariamilitary.com.
AunBear89
Above my pay grade? More insults from the snowflake conservative crowd.

I don't get paid for this. I taunt Righteous Righties pro bono.
Cal88
Big C said:

Remember that I am largely in agreement with you about the NATO thing...

The reason I don't believe Putin is a "rational actor" anymore:

What leader with almost autonomous power allows himself to be so isolated that he commits the spectacular military blunder that was the initial invasion of Ukraine?

What rational actor gets involved in a war in which -- even if successful militarily -- it is almost impossible to see any good long-term outcome for his country?

What rational actor needs to sit across a 30 foot table from people like a nutty germophobe?

Okay, some of this is dependent on one's definition of what a "rational actor" is. I just see Mr. New Bloaty Face as someone who has recently started to slide off the deep end.

Russia's initial multi-pronged assault was a fairly bold "decapitation" gamble, they were hoping for a quick regime change or a settlement with Zelensky's govt that would have given them essentially the Donbass and all Minsk Agreement points. It was primarily foiled by the intervention of US, UK and French leaders who bolstered Ukrainian military morale and promised them unlimited military and financial support.

We're most likely going to end up with the same result, regime change in Kiev, but with the Russians doing it the hard way, through the destruction of the Ukrainian armed forces and the conquest of half the country.

My stand on this issue is based on the fact that I don't think Ukraine can win this war, the outcome is fairly predictable. I don't believe the neocons in charge, people like McCain, Graham, Nuland, Kinzinger, Cotton, Schiff etc really believe that Ukraine can defeat Russian, for them Ukrainians largely are pawns used to bleed off the Russians. That's the angle that the general public is not well aware of, whereas the concerned policy experts understand how things are likely to unfurl, "Ukraine getting wrecked".

To date, Ukraine has lost nearly 200,000 soldiers, that's a leaked official estimate of UA killed in action, wounded, captured or deserted. I'd reckon we're around halfway through the total body count of this war, or slightly past, depending on how far this conflict will continue to be fed.

Russian losses are about 12,000-14,000 KIAs, with around maybe twice that amount wounded. In other words, they are easily winning this war of attrition, especially when you consider that their heaviest losses came in the early stages of the war when their forces were spread very thin. Russia went in with less than 200,000 troops against a total Ukrainian force of over half a million.

They are currently rotating their army on the front and proceeding methodically forward behind a wall of artillery, expending around 30,000-40,000 shells per day. The current ratio of firepower used on the frontline is around 10 to 1 for the Russians, and the body count will reflect that kind of imbalance.

Unfortunately we're beyond any compromise that could stop the carnage at this point, with Zelensky's govt talking about taking back Crimea when they should be pragmatically trying to save 3/4 of their country, and stave off the culling of another 100,000-200,000 men in the meatgrinder. By this time next year, the Russians will have taken all Russian-speaking regions and Zelensky will be left with a landlocked leftover western Ukraine, the poorest and least industrialized part of the country.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

Can you point us to where any of those 70 experts justify war crimes or attack victims of war crimes and unprovoked aggression?

As far as I can tell, the take away is that Russia's fascist/non democratic elements will oppose NATO expansion. None of them support fascism or Putin's regime. None of them carry his water the way you do.

And lest we forget, this war directly lead to the expansion of NATO with Finland and Sweden. There was no timetable for the addition of Ukraine. As much as you want to pretend that adding Ukraine to NATO forced Putin to commit atrocities and war crimes, that isn't going to fly. It's just propaganda like the other BS you regularly fall for, including the false justification that Putin committed war crimes bedside he wanted to rid Ukraine of Nazis or because he cares about Russian speaking people there.

Nearly all these experts predicted that NATO expansion in Ukraine would precipitate Russian intervention, it's kind of astounding that you aren't able to understand that.

Ukraine today is essentially a white nationalist regime, perhaps the only true one with this kind of ideology. They fully identify with their WW2 Nazi heritage. The problem with that (other than the obvious ones) is that nearly half their country hates this and identifies with the other side, and nearly everyone in cities like Odessa, Kharkov, Mariupol, Donetsk, Dnipro etc have parents and grandparents who died fighting the nazis in WW2. That's the uglier underside of the cultural split within Ukraine that gets completely lost with the #IstandwithUkraine contingent, which completely dominates the media and general public today.

This is the reality that most people don't know, or will have trouble accepting:

Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Nearly all these experts predicted that NATO expansion in Ukraine would precipitate Russian intervention, it's kind of astounding that you aren't able to understand that.

Ukraine today is essentially a white nationalist regime, perhaps the only true one with this kind of ideology. They fully identify with their WW2 Nazi heritage. The problem with that is that nearly half their country identifies with the other side, and nearly everyone in cities like Odessa, Kharkov, Mariupol, Donetsk, Dnipro etc have parents and grandparents who died fighting the nazis in WW2. That's the uglier underside of the cultural split within Ukraine that gets completely lost with the #IstandwithUkraine contingent, which completely dominates the media and general public today.

This is the reality that most people don't know, or will have trouble accepting:

So is it the fake nazi stuff that caused Putin to invade Ukraine or the non existent NATO expansion? You can't have it both ways. Sorry, or is it the third fake reason which you've identified - protecting Russian people in Ukraine?

You think you can hide your ridiculous position with mountains of multi media but it's pretty transparent.

You are extremely careful never to say anything critical of Russia or Putin, because "realism". But you constantly skew facts in their favor. For example, vastly undercutting the pentagon's estimates of Russian casualties and inflating estimates for Ukraine's. And, although NATO didn't actually expand into Ukraine, you continue to claim that NATO expansion forced Putin's hand Ukraine has a Jewish President and there are more Nazis in Putin's military, but "realism" prevents you from implying substantive judgment… to Russia. Your "realism" only extends to choosing never to criticize Putin or Russia because you are very quick to criticize each and every person opposed to the your buddy Putin, to include Ukraine, all of Europe, the US, and on and on. For you "realism" begins and ends with justifying everything Putin wants to do.

I can't imagine why you are playing this game but know this: everyone here can see what you are doing and you aren't fooling anyone.
calpoly
Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Ukraine today is essentially a white nationalist regime, perhaps the only true one with this kind of ideology. They fully identify with their WW2 Nazi heritage. The problem with that is that nearly half their country identifies with the other side, and nearly everyone in cities like Odessa, Kharkov, Mariupol, Donetsk, Dnipro etc have parents and grandparents who died fighting the nazis in WW2. That's the uglier underside of the cultural split within Ukraine that gets completely lost with the #IstandwithUkraine contingent, which completely dominates the media and general public today.

So is it the fake nazi stuff that caused Putin to invade Ukraine or the non existent NATO expansion? You can't have it both ways. Sorry, or is it the third fake reason which you've identified - protecting Russian people in Ukraine?

You think you can hide your ridiculous position with mountains of multi media but it's pretty transparent.

You are extremely careful never to say anything critical of Russia or Putin, because "realism". But you constantly skew facts in their favor. For example, vastly undercutting the pentagon's estimates of Russian casualties and inflating estimates for Ukraine's. And, although NATO didn't actually expand into Ukraine, you continue to claim that NATO expansion forced Putin's hand Ukraine has a Jewish President and there are more Nazis in Putin's military, but "realism" prevents you from implying substantive judgment… to Russia. Your "realism" only extends to choosing never to criticize Putin or Russia because you are very quick to criticize each and every person opposed to the your buddy Putin, to include Ukraine, all of Europe, the US, and on and on. For you "realism" begins and ends with justifying everything Putin wants to do.

I can't imagine why you are playing this game but know this: everyone here can see what you are doing and you aren't fooling anyone.
He played the same game with climate change and covid. He/she is a waste of your time (similar to 003).
Unit2Sucks
calpoly said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

He played the same game with climate change and covid. He/she is a waste of your time (similar to 003).

I'm bored at my in laws and enjoying a relaxing day while catching up on some stuff.
Cal88
Another point that needs to be addressed is war crimes, and in that dept. the Ukrainian govt hasn't acquitted itself either, with the shelling of population centers in cities like Doentsk for no apparent military goals, with weapons like anti-personnel "petal" mines meant to maim, and white phosphorous shells dropped on urban centers. They have also been summarily executing Russian POWs, and using Ukrainian civilians as human shields (a fact acknowledged by Amnesty Int'l).

Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

Another point that needs to be addressed is war crimes, and in that dept. the Ukrainian govt hasn't acquitted itself either,

Now do Russia.
oski003
calpoly said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

So nice to be so naive and passionate. It is so cute, adorable even.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

What part of that footage above of western Ukrainians parading in authentic nazi uniforms at a large funeral church ceremony is fake? Do you think that whole thing was staged?!? Did you not think it was, at the very least, a bit troubling that these people identify so closely with their nazi WW2 heritage?

Keep in mind that these uniforms are likely vintage WW2 nazi uniforms, worn by the descendants of those Ukrainians who fought in the largest non-German nazi army.

I've also just posted a link of Zelensky praising Bandera, the nazi war criminal who has executed tens of thousands of Jews, Poles and Russian civilians during the war, is revered by Ukrainian nationalists, and whose name and likeness grace the streets and squares across nearly all western Ukraine...

As to the estimates of Russian casualties above, they were confirmed in a somewhat candid moment by CIA chief Burns during the Aspen conference two weeks ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/putin-russia-deaths-loss-ukraine-b2128139.html
BearForce2
What's wrong with Nazis as long as they're Ukrainian? - the left
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

Cal88 said:

Another point that needs to be addressed is war crimes, and in that dept. the Ukrainian govt hasn't acquitted itself either.
Now do Russia.

How about we stop the war instead of trying to fight it to the last Ukrainian?

Unit2Sucks
Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

What part of that footage above of western Ukrainians parading in authentic nazi uniforms at a large funeral church ceremony is fake? Do you think that whole thing was staged?!? Did you not think it was, at the very least, a bit troubling that these people identify so closely with their nazi WW2 heritage?

Keep in mind that these uniforms are likely vintage WW2 nazi uniforms, worn by the descendants of those Ukrainians who fought in the largest non-German nazi army.

I've also just posted a link of Zelensky praising Bandera, the nazi war criminal who has executed tens of thousands of Jews, Poles and Russian civilians during the war, is revered by Ukrainian nationalists, and whose name and likeness grace the streets and squares across nearly all western Ukraine...

As to the estimates of Russian casualties above, they were confirmed in a somewhat candid moment by CIA chief Burns during the Aspen conference two weeks ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/putin-russia-deaths-loss-ukraine-b2128139.html

Do you have links to 70 experts claiming that Putin cares about Nazis? The idea that the existence of Nazis in Ukraine is a justification for this war is preposterous. If Putin cared about Nazis, he would start by getting rid of them in his incredibly dysfunctional and corrupt military. You of course can't acknowledge any of this because you will never speak ill of Putin.

No one denies there are Nazis in Ukraine. No one is happy about that fact, well except for Nazis. No one with any intellectual honesty thinks there is any connection between Putin's attack on Ukraine and the existence of Nazis. Russia is a breeding ground for Nazis but you've been manipulated to believe that they started a war to de Nazify Ukraine. It's ludicrous.

As for Russian casualties, of course you are using a dated number. The newest Pentagon estimate from last week is that perhaps 80k casualties total, with 500 to 1,000 per day. You have unsurprisingly and persistently pretended from day one that Russia is performing better than everyone knows they are. You have a quite obvious bias.

When asked to address Russian war crimes, your response is to say Ukraine can stop being a victim of war crimes whenever it chooses to comply with your dear leader Putin. If you cared about peace, you would say that the war can end tomorrow if Putin were to choose to
end it. But you aren't allowed to speak Iill of Putin so you focus on victim shaming.
sycasey
So as far as I can tell, Cal88's argument here is:

1. Everyone knew Russia would attack if Ukraine joined NATO, so we should not admit them.

2. NATO did not admit Ukraine.

3. Russia attacked anyway.

4. Something about Nazis.

Blah blah blah.
First Page Last Page
Page 44 of 246

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.