White House has settled in

678,046 Views | 4703 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cbbass1
Cal88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There is a $75,000 deductible if you get into an accident on this highway.
Anarchistbear
If you're a banker driving on the Obama highway and you kill a child, don't worry, we're all in this together.
dajo9
These sorts of poor attempts at humor remind me of the banality of the criticisms of the Obama Presidency. Back when the government was well run and incremental things were done to improve the lives of the American people. A stark contrast to today's **** show.
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
GOP criticism of Trump now is hollow and cheap even if they're correct about Mattis. They already bought and screwed the pooch...and let it pee down their throats while they smiled. They own this mess, Trump, the Russkies, all of it...and history will remember how then bend over and spread their cheeks for corrupt power.

LOCK THEM UP...all of them, Trump, his family, his suckups and his enablers.
Peanut Gallery Consultant
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

If you're a banker driving on the Obama highway and you kill a child, don't worry, we're all in this together.

They have a shopping center named after O in Moneygall, County Offaly, Ireland. You can by t shirts mocking fat boy throughout the Country.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 would never advocate going to renewables because Russia is a big oil producer (ok he'll probably do it once to refute this post but then no more).
Renewables are intermittent sources that require significant backup in hydrocarbon powered generators (mostly natural gas), they can't possibly come close to replacing oil, gas and coal in the short term. As well their cost is prohibitive, consumers in countries that have heavily invested in renewables like Spain, Denmark or Germany pay up to 4-5 times as much as US consumers for their heating KWs.

France has succeeded in securing its energy independence by building the most ambitious nuclear energy program in the West, but the country is not prone to natural catastrophes like Japan or the US, and it has traditionally had a technocratic culture which would not sacrifice public safety for quarterly shareholder profits. In any case under the current financial climate, that program wouldn't be feasible today, it was accomplished back when the French state could issue funds interest free for large infrastructure projects.

The US and Canada have enough crude oil for well over a century's worth of domestic consumption, and that's just with today's technology and today's proven reserves. You want to **** with Russia dajo? Pump as much oil as you can, and depress one of their main sources of income. By doing this you also become competitive with Europe and China with a lower-energy cost industrial base. And guess what - that's precisely what Trump has done, the US is now a net oil exporter for the first time in history. We no longer need mideastern oil for our consumption, we're just there for Israel and geopolitical leverage over China and the rest of the world.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

These sorts of poor attempts at humor remind me of the banality of the criticisms of the Obama Presidency. Back when the government was well run and incremental things were done to improve the lives of the American people. A stark contrast to today's **** show.
Incremental things like the $10 trillion bank bailout, now that sure did improve the lives and futures of the American taxpayer, as did the same neocon foreign war program started by W & co with the mass droning and devastation of Libya, Syria, Yemen, and Afghanistan.

Other than the Iran deal and the Chrysler bailout, Obama was a failure and a fake peddler of "change".
B.A. Bearacus
Thought Republicans stopped doing diagrams and charts after this:

bearister
Mattis resignation letter:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/politics/james-mattis-resignation-letter-doc/index.html
Cal88
Walker and his band of Ayn Rand larpers are some of the worst elements of the GOP, nearly as bad as wannabe neocons like Marco and Graham who are freaking out over ending useless foreign wars.

Can Bolton also please resign?
sycasey
dajo9 said:

Cal88 would never advocate going to renewables because Russia is a big oil producer (ok he'll probably do it once to refute this post but then no more).

Good call.
B.A. Bearacus
Another Bear
So today was pretty freaking whacked even for the Mushroom Nationalist. To review:

A) Mattis resigns
B) Trump flips on signing the funding bill...will shut government down
C) Trump pulls out of Syria
D) Stock market craps its pants in response
E) All the usual stupidity and incompetence...

Frankly I didn't think things would get crazy for a while but it's looking like sooner than later. 10 days until the Dems take the House. I'm not sure the Short Finger Vulgarian makes it through March. I'm guessing the shyt hits the fan pretty soon. It's going to get nasty.
Cal88
sycasey said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 would never advocate going to renewables because Russia is a big oil producer (ok he'll probably do it once to refute this post but then no more)
Good call.

Actually, I didn't advocate going to renewables, because that's neither a practical nor feasible solution in America, with nearly a quarter trillion barrels in proven oil reserves in the US and Canada.

Your obsession with Russia is beyond incomprehensible dajo, it borders the pathetic.
oski003
Another Bear said:

So today was pretty freaking whacked even for the Mushroom Nationalist. To review:

A) Mattis resigns

Frankly I didn't think things would get crazy for a while but it's looking like sooner than later. 10 days until the Dems take the House. I'm not sure the Short Finger Vulgarian makes it through March. I'm guessing the shyt hits the fan pretty soon. It's going to get nasty.

Fed rate just went up, which explains most of D
dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Renewables are intermittent sources that require significant backup in hydrocarbon powered generators (mostly natural gas), they can't possibly come close to replacing oil, gas and coal in the short term. As well their cost is prohibitive, consumers in countries that have heavily invested in renewables like Spain, Denmark or Germany pay up to 4-5 times as much as US consumers for their heating KWs.

France has succeeded in securing its energy independence by building the most ambitious nuclear energy program in the West, but the country is not prone to natural catastrophes like Japan or the US, and it has traditionally had a technocratic culture which would not sacrifice public safety for quarterly shareholder profits. In any case under the current financial climate, that program wouldn't be feasible today, it was accomplished back when the French state could issue funds interest free for large infrastructure projects.

The US and Canada have enough crude oil for well over a century's worth of domestic consumption, and that's just with today's technology and today's proven reserves. You want to **** with Russia dajo? Pump as much oil as you can, and depress one of their main sources of income. By doing this you also become competitive with Europe and China with a lower-energy cost industrial base. And guess what - that's precisely what Trump has done, the US is now a net oil exporter for the first time in history. We no longer need mideastern oil for our consumption, we're just there for Israel and geopolitical leverage over China and the rest of the world.

Putin approves this message
American Vermin
golden sloth
oski003 said:

Another Bear said:

A) Mattis resigns

Its not just the Fed rate. Housing has been marginal for most of the year, business equipment purchases have been slowing, uncertainty with Brexit, concerns about the Eurozone and China, and plenty of other indicators pointing to an economic slowdown.
golden sloth
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

The current cost per megawatt may favor oil, but the infrastructure supporting oil and gas is pricey and requires long-range planning, and typically lasts several decades. It is in this infrastructure where wind, large-scale solar and storage have been making gains, to where several new natural gas plants have been shelved as it was more economical to go with storage and renewables. Further, and most importantly, I would much rather live next to a solar or wind farm than an oil or gas plant.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/7/13/17551878/natural-gas-markets-renewable-energy
Anarchistbear
"Over the last three years, I've directed my administration to open up millions of acres for gas and oil exploration across 23 different states. We're opening up more than 75 percent of our potential oil resources offshore. We've quadrupled the number of operating rigs to a record high. We've added enough new oil and gas pipeline to encircle the Earth, and then some. . . . In fact, the problem . . . is that we're actually producing so much oil and gas . . . that we don't have enough pipeline capacity to transport all of it where it needs to go."

Obama
Another Bear
golden sloth said:

oski003 said:

Another Bear said:

A) Mattis resigns

Its not just the Fed rate. Housing has been marginal for most of the year, business equipment purchases have been slowing, uncertainty with Brexit, concerns about the Eurozone and China, and plenty of other indicators pointing to an economic slowdown.
Unfortunately things are pointing towards a Trump Recession and it might well be the Trump Shutdown that kicks it off. Trump is going to get full blame on this because of his chaotic policy.
Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Every morning, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin flies halfway around the world in his supersonic Tupolev, lands near Dajo's home and goes inside his house to piss on his cereals.
Cal88
golden sloth said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

The current cost per megawatt may favor oil, but the infrastructure supporting oil and gas is pricey and requires long-range planning, and typically lasts several decades. It is in this infrastructure where wind, large-scale solar and storage have been making gains, to where several new natural gas plants have been shelved as it was more economical to go with storage and renewables. Further, and most importantly, I would much rather live next to a solar or wind farm than an oil or gas plant.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/7/13/17551878/natural-gas-markets-renewable-energy
I don't disagree with the gist of your post, adding renewables where it's economically advantageous is not a bad thing, but it's also not a quick fix panacea. We shouldn't make the same mistakes that countries like Germany or Spain have made in subsidizing massive economically unfavorable projects, leading to exorbitant energy costs that are being disproportionally borne by the middle/lower classes. This kind of politically-motivated planning is part of the reason energy costs in CA have been rising a lot faster than in the rest of US:

The other issue is that many of those studies that present renewables as a feasible large-scale short term option ignore the costs and issues of massive ramping up of battery and solar panel production, such as the mining of rare earth this requires.

dajo9
Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Every morning, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin flies halfway around the world in his supersonic Tupolev, lands near Dajo's home and goes inside his house to piss on his cereals.

I wonder if there is anyone who posts here other than Cal88 who knows what kind of airplane Putin flies around in. Weird.
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
dajo9 said:

I wonder if there is anyone who posts here other than Cal88 who knows what kind of airplane Putin flies around in. Weird.
Nyet.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

dajo9 said:

Nyet.

Cal88
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

dajo9 said:

More telling about your rampant paranoia than anything else, my friend, because it turns out Air Forski One is an Illyushin 96.

The supersonic Tupolev I was referring to is the famous Soviet Mach 2 cruising Concorde knockoff, the Tu-144, also known as the "Concordski":

PS: I was there at the 1973 Le Bourget air show where the above footage is from, not on the day it crashed though.
bearister
https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/a85wcp/there_are_no_mistakes_just_happy_accidents_bob/?st=JPYQ57JB&sh=0b8524cc
bearister
B.A. Bearacus
Heart of Darkness:
B.A. Bearacus
One last F this dude before Cheez-It.

bearister
Do we have anything to learn from the fall of Rome?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/24/books/review/edward-j-watts-mortal-republic.html
sycasey
sycasey said:

The conservative attacks on Ocasio-Cortez really seem like weak sauce to me. I think they've underestimated how likable a politician she is, because she's young, female, and non-white (so exactly the the kind of person who doesn't run much in Republican circles).

You can disagree with her left-wing ideology, that's fine -- but assuming she's stupid seems like a bad approach.
Just to return to this point:

Seems like the latest attack on AOC is to show that she . . . was once a teenager who used to make silly dancing videos with her friends? Like this is supposed to make her LESS likable?

They really don't know how to handle her.
Unit2Sucks
Seriously, I don't even particularly like AOC or her policies but this video makes her more endearing.

I guess this is like how conservatives who were conned by Trump say that democrats are to blame for vilifying Trump that made him just so attractive to them.

In a similar way, AOC's profile within the progressive moment grows the more she's attacked by conservatives.
golden sloth
They are not trying to handle her, or appeal to her supporters, they are not trying to convert anyone they don't already have. They are simply trying to make her a bogey-man for all the impressionable old white people out there, and give them somebody to both be afraid of and communally make fun of. Their comments don't have to be accurate, true, or even overly threatening, all they need to do is make her into 'the other' and deride her in an attempt to create anger and bond over her mockery.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 135

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.