Will the NRA's grip on the GOP diminish in your lifetime? (Y/N)

93,743 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sycasey
iwantwinners
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

Why is it so hard to believe that some teenagers are simply passionate about an issue, one that they have been forced to face head-on in their recent life experience?
It's not hard.

Quote:

The moral bankruptcy of modern conservatism is really being laid bare on this one, judging by the right wing's conspiracy-theory responses to the pleas of innocent youngsters. It's all cynical power games with no constructive goal in mind.
I don't know how you define modern conservatism (which, whatever it is, is not necessarily aligned with modern Republicanism, whatever that is), but it's clear you view me as aligned with it. I don't know what you mean either by cynical power games. You seem to be deploying the idea that some people don't have a constructive goal in mind, as in "they're okay with mass death." Seems disingenuous.
iwantwinners
Another Bear said:

The kids from Parkland HS have stepped up big time to present the case for gun control...and they're winning and they have the big Mo...momentum. I don't think you have to fear that Gen-Z will step up. They already have, and it's great to see.

It's very interesting times generational-wise. The NRA's core are early boomers in their late 60s/early 70s. While the kids from Parkland are teens. We're seeing the future playing out now.
The march, organized by "Women's March", stands on the graves of the dead -- not the dead blacks or the thousands of needless deaths at the hands of gun violence -- while utilizing the weak minds of today's youth to "raise awareness" i.e. advance a political agenda. These kids can't do their own laundry but can proclaim they are the voices of sanity and expertise on public policy as it pertains to firearms, the 2nd amendment, school safety and mass shootings (not their fault). The leaders of this agenda know this, and they also know that kids taking such measures can put more pressure and urgency on a political system to advance this agenda. We all care about innocent lives ending, but that's not, in principle, why leaders are facilitating these movements, or you'd see them outraged over the thousands of deaths when a non-firearm is used or a non semi-auto firearm is used (most mass shootings are not perpetrated with a semi auto). Emotive propaganda is spewed by people of all stripes, taking advantage of the high level emotion still lurking from this tragedy.

I detest the act regardless of its political aims. If NRA proponents were walking out of High Schools I'd have the same scathing criticism of them. Five years ago they were 12, they don't know anything. They are still dependant on other people for the basic necessities of life. Nobody is taking their cues from these young bucks, but those who align with their ends are tactfully using them as an example of a pressing moral urgency to do something -- no, correction, advance their agenda only.
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

Also, nobody has embraced identity politics more than Trump. White identity. It was central to his campaign.
Because he doesn't placate the (illegal) status quo on immigration? How can a discussion be had with you when you're this disingenuous.
iwantwinners
sycasey said:

Let's also take a moment here to reflect on the fact that "virtue signaling" is now invoked as a criticism whenever people (usually liberals) decide to take up a cause they believe in.
Um, no it's not.

Quote:

It's always a not-so-subtle way to suggest that those people don't REALLY believe in their cause and are only saying these things so they can "look good" and enhance their social standing. In other words, it's pure cynicism. Anyone who says they believe in something must be lying.
No, that's not true.

Quote:

That's a poisonous attitude for a democratic society, one in which elected officials are supposed to represent their constituents. If they believe their constituents are lying, they won't do that.
This is like straight out of a HS term paper. You want elected officials taking cues from kids whose balls dropped 5 years ago? I don't believe you. What I do believe is you like to utilize the sentimental advantages of youths taking action to advance an agenda you agree with. Just google articles on these marches and read their quotes, peddling a utopian vision where they're guaranteed "never to experience gun violence". It's already been demonstrated semi autos won't stop school shootings, only a ban will. This is why arguing for the elimination of the 2nd amendment is more respectable and honest then clamoring for increased gun control in a vain attempt to "stop this".

Quote:

By every outward indication they are dead serious about all of this. But no, the conservative response is that they are "virtue signaling." What nonsense.
I don't believe they're insincere. Some may be, but I don't believe they're insincere. I believe they are sincere in their ignorance and stupidity. I don't blame them. They're kids. Adults are exploiting this.
dajo9
"They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists"

Trump called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the country"

Trump said, "African Americans, Hispanics, are living in hell"

Trump said some of the white supremacists in Charlottesvile "are very fine people"

"Barack Obama's birth certificate is a fraud"

I could go on. There is more. You and Trump aren't fooling anybody about his white identity politics.
American Vermin
OBear073akaSMFan
iwantwinners said:

sycasey said:

I don't believe they're insincere. Some may be, but I don't believe they're insincere. I believe they are sincere in their ignorance and stupidity. I don't blame them. They're kids. Adults are exploiting this.

So what are the Moron excuses??
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

"They're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, they're rapists"

Trump called for "a total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the country"

Trump said, "African Americans, Hispanics, are living in hell"

Trump said some of the white supremacists in Charlottesvile "are very fine people"

"Barack Obama's birth certificate is a fraud"

I could go on. There is more. You and Trump aren't fooling anybody about his white identity politics.
LOL this is someone who has a hard time with nuance. I know some Trump fanboys, I don't have to resort to desperate appeals to racism and identity politics to take Trump down to size. They're cheerleaders, and so are you.
Unit2Sucks
So what I'm taking from this is that the most important question to ask before listening to someone's political position is what they were doing 5 years ago. Otherwise why does iwantwinners keep mentioning it? Gotta admit, it makes about as much sense as anything else he's said.

Wonder what political views Trump was pushing 5 years ago ...
iwantwinners
Unit2Sucks said:

So what I'm taking from this is that the most important question to ask before listening to someone's political position is what they were doing 5 years ago. Otherwise why does iwantwinners keep mentioning it? Gotta admit, it makes about as much sense as anything else he's said.

Wonder what political views Trump was pushing 5 years ago ...
It was tongue and cheek to illuminate a broader point. But if that's what you want to take away and address, I guess there's not much point in continuing.
dajo9
I can and have taken Trump down on many fronts. His white identity politics being just easy pickings. There isn't any nuance there.
American Vermin
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

I can and have taken Trump down on many fronts. His white identity politics being just easy pickings. There isn't any nuance there.
I'm saying he (Trump) has a knack for failing to comprehend and espouse nuance.

Ascribing identity politics and racism is not low-hanging fruit, it's a projection of one's own worldview.
dajo9
Sorry dude. Racism exists and needs to be confronted.
American Vermin
Unit2Sucks
iwantwinners said:

Itwas tongue and cheek to illuminate a broader point. But if that's what you want to take away and address, I guess there's not much point in continuing.

Don't worry we all got the broader point loud and clear. It says a lot more about you then it does the kids.
sycasey
iwantwinners said:

sycasey said:

Let's also take a moment here to reflect on the fact that "virtue signaling" is now invoked as a criticism whenever people (usually liberals) decide to take up a cause they believe in.
Um, no it's not.

Quote:

It's always a not-so-subtle way to suggest that those people don't REALLY believe in their cause and are only saying these things so they can "look good" and enhance their social standing. In other words, it's pure cynicism. Anyone who says they believe in something must be lying.
No, that's not true.

Quote:

That's a poisonous attitude for a democratic society, one in which elected officials are supposed to represent their constituents. If they believe their constituents are lying, they won't do that.
This is like straight out of a HS term paper. You want elected officials taking cues from kids whose balls dropped 5 years ago? I don't believe you. What I do believe is you like to utilize the sentimental advantages of youths taking action to advance an agenda you agree with. Just google articles on these marches and read their quotes, peddling a utopian vision where they're guaranteed "never to experience gun violence". It's already been demonstrated semi autos won't stop school shootings, only a ban will. This is why arguing for the elimination of the 2nd amendment is more respectable and honest then clamoring for increased gun control in a vain attempt to "stop this".

Quote:

By every outward indication they are dead serious about all of this. But no, the conservative response is that they are "virtue signaling." What nonsense.

So as a rebuttal to my claim that you are overly cynical, you respond by putting words in my mouth and claiming that I and others who support the Parkland kids are being insincere. You've proven my point better than I possibly could have.
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

The arrogance to think that you can control other people's thoughts....Point to a law that is racist in intent and I'll stand by your side, but I'm not arrogant or belligerent enough to waste time in the virtue signaling, identity politic lane of ascribing racism everywhere, even where it doesn't exist, and having the audacity to believe that I can both change it and that it is what is preventing people from achieving what they want in life. It is profoundly condescending to assert that a person's thoughts prevents masses of people from fulfilling their potential in a constitutionally guaranteed egalitarian society. The soft bigotry of low expectations, peddled by the grievance industry, which needs customers.

iwantwinners
sycasey said:

iwantwinners said:

sycasey said:

Um, no it's not.

Quote:

No, that's not true.

Quote:

Quote:

So as a rebuttal to my claim that you are overly cynical, you respond by putting words in my mouth and claiming that I and others who support the Parkland kids are being insincere. You've proven my point better than I possibly could have.
K
iwantwinners
Unit2Sucks said:

iwantwinners said:

Itwas tongue and cheek to illuminate a broader point. But if that's what you want to take away and address, I guess there's not much point in continuing.

Don't worry we all got the broader point loud and clear. It says a lot more about you then it does the kids.
No you do not, or simply don't want to acknowledge it, hence your focus on the trivial.
dajo9
iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

The arrogance to think that you can control other people's thoughts....Point to a law that is racist in intent and I'll stand by your side, but I'm not arrogant or belligerent enough to waste time in the virtue signaling, identity politic lane of ascribing racism everywhere, even where it doesn't exist, and having the audacity to believe that I can both change it and that it is what is preventing people from achieving what they want in life. It is profoundly condescending to assert that a person's thoughts prevents masses of people from fulfilling their potential in a constitutionally guaranteed egalitarian society. The soft bigotry of low expectations, peddled by the grievance industry, which needs customers.

Your post reveals a good example of either not understanding how racism works or being in denial about it. Thanks for sharing.
American Vermin
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

iwantwinners said:

Just to continue to point this out:

The broader point, if you look closely at iwantwinners' arguments, can be summed up as: "Why bother?"

You can't control people's thoughts, so why bother calling out racism? You can't stop all gun violence, so why bother with gun control? These Parkland kids have no experience, so why bother speaking out? Why bother supporting them? It's all virtue signaling, so why bother? Why bother? Why bother?

Again, this is a toxic attitude if it is allowed to broadly take hold in a democracy. It's not stupid to care about things or look for solutions.
BearChemist
1 student dead, 2 wounded in Maryland high school shooting

More 'followers' are generated at the DC doorsteps.
BearNIt
I hope those not leaders, pawns, and followers don't do anything insane like decide they shouldn't have to worry about getting shot in the school hallway between classes and decide to protest this weekend on the 24Th, that would just be crazy. Their parents should know better than to let those kids have thoughts of their own about something like getting shot while walking to Algebra, English or for goodness sake History class. I just hope they don't get exploited.
iwantwinners
dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Your post reveals a good example of either not understanding how racism works or being in denial about it. Thanks for sharing.
Racism, the red herring of failure. A co-opted concept to ascend a worldview and political agenda
BearNIt
iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Racism, the red herring of failure. A co-opted concept to ascend a worldview and political agenda
Racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. It leads to things like slavery, Jim Crow laws, and the Caste System all which devastating affects on those affected by it.
iwantwinners
BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Racism is prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior. It leads to things like slavery, Jim Crow laws, and the Caste System all which devastating affects on those affected by it.

Are you actually saying these words?
going4roses
Wow

And at that point until he or she finds the capacity to learn the truth conversation is useless.

Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
iwantwinners
going4roses said:

Wow

And at that point until he or she finds the capacity to learn the truth conversation is useless.

which is....
BearNIt
iwantwinners said:

BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Think of the Final Solution, The 3/5 Compromise, the hangings that occurred in this country without due process afforded to others, the marching of Native Americans to Indian territory, Race Riots, and the US paying people for the scalps of Native Americans. You would have a hard time instituting any of these actions if you saw the affected party as equals. To say that, "racism is the red herring of failure." "A co-opted concept to ascend a worldview and political agenda", is to not understand what racism is, the lives lost because of it, and the impact that it has had on those affected. Very few racist believe they are racist, they just believe in what they believe. Racist are usually the last ones to know that they are racist, but others know. Acknowledging it doesn't mean you get to use it as a crutch, it means that you recognize it and the affects of it.
iwantwinners
BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Think of the Final Solution, The 3/5 Compromise, the hangings that occurred in this country without due process afforded to others, the marching of Native Americans to Indian territory, Race Riots, and the US paying people for the scalps of Native Americans. You would have a hard time instituting any of these actions if you saw the affected party as equals. To say that, "racism is the red herring of failure." "A co-opted concept to ascend a worldview and political agenda", is to not understand what racism is, the lives lost because of it, and the impact that it has had on those affected. Very few racist believe they are racist, they just believe in what they believe. Racist are usually the last ones to know that they are racist, but others know.

So....racism is bad. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're here, otherwise, I'm not sure the rest of us could have figured this out.

What's the next public service announcement, that women and homosexuals are people too?
BearNIt
iwantwinners said:

BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

BearNIt said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

iwantwinners said:

dajo9 said:

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Think of the Final Solution, The 3/5 Compromise, the hangings that occurred in this country without due process afforded to others, the marching of Native Americans to Indian territory, Race Riots, and the US paying people for the scalps of Native Americans. You would have a hard time instituting any of these actions if you saw the affected party as equals. To say that, "racism is the red herring of failure." "A co-opted concept to ascend a worldview and political agenda", is to not understand what racism is, the lives lost because of it, and the impact that it has had on those affected. Very few racist believe they are racist, they just believe in what they believe. Racist are usually the last ones to know that they are racist, but others know.

So....racism is bad. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're here.
Is racism good?
bearister
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/22/survivors-parkland-change-americas-worship-guns?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
going4roses
https://www.juancole.com/2018/03/changing-exploitation-competition.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
iwantwinners
sycasey said:

Just to continue to point this out:

The broader point, if you look closely at iwantwinners' arguments, can be summed up as: "Why bother?"

You can't control people's thoughts, so why bother calling out racism? You can't stop all gun violence, so why bother with gun control? These Parkland kids have no experience, so why bother speaking out? Why bother supporting them? It's all virtue signaling, so why bother? Why bother? Why bother?

Again, this is a toxic attitude if it is allowed to broadly take hold in a democracy. It's not stupid to care about things or look for solutions.
So wrong. You're an ideologue, so when you read dissenting posts, I'm sure all you see is ideology. I'm surprised you didn't go "people will always murder, so iwantwinners probably doesn't want laws against murder".

There are political agendas to advocating for "racism" as being the #1 social problem of our day, so the outrage and the willingness to be dishonest about instances and broader trends of "racism" are what I object to.

Shouting racism does nothing, it's NOT a solution. That's why it's virtue signaling. Shouting "racism is bad" makes one an idiot. Next, it will be "don't beat your wives". Thanks. Just what wife beaters need to fix their own thoughts.

People glorify racism for many reasons. The social movement surrounding "racism awareness" is almost fully propaganda, misleading the public about LE interactions with these victims, asserting things to be false even after it is discovered that it is proven to be false (hands up don't shoot). Duke lacrosse, professors admonishing students due to race furthers the university's urgency in creating more SJW type classes dealing with race and gender.

The gun debate is also dishonest because the only policy change you should be advocating for if it is the sole goal to eliminate gun violence is to abolish the 2nd amendment It' fact that banning assault rifles will not fix the propensity to shoot people, mass or otherwise, as most firearm and mass shooting violence are from non- semi-autos. What will prevent mass shootings and firearm violence generally is the abolishing of firearms 100% (even illegal ones), fixing the hearts and minds (culture, values) of Americans who engage in this violence, or arming everybody. We know firearm violence generally doesn't occur in a location where it is known most or many are capably armed with a firearm. Nobody shoots up a police station, but they'll shoot up a church or school.

I have zero problems with banning assault rifles and further access restrictions, I have a problem with the dishonesty in advocating for it in the name of mass shootings, or the insinuation that it will curb firearm violence at all. More people die every month on the streets than they do in all the mass shootings the last 20 years. An honest person wants guns banned entirely, if at all because an honest person acknowledges mass shootings are small but emotionally devastating, and that restricting firearms does NOTHING to curb the trend of shooting people in schools. Nothing.

It's like taxes. Vague appeals to higher taxes using morality as a crutch are absurd. What is the appropriate tax margin for all brackets so that when we reach it, I can tell you to piss off when you INEVITABLY justify asking me for more. This is what will happen with firearms. Ban assault weapons, school shootings continue, and they will justify asking for more.

You're using HS kids to peddle an agenda they know nothing about. They are co-dependent humans at this point. Would you take seriously HS students peddling the tea party anti-tax movement? As one person said recently, if you can't even take care of your own BR and can barely sort out your own life let alone the world, how can you honestly tell yourself you can stick your neck out into the world and advocate change...It's an attempt at vanity and affirmation of self-worth disguised as an advocation for virtue. Not saying it's insincere, but that's really what they're doing. They aren't self-aware enough to know their own failings and vain attempts at changing the world. When you have real conflict within yourself about being helpless in your own life, feeling overwhelmed, an attempt at emotional equilibrium can be (and has been) political activism; political and moral virtue signaling.

You're not interested in solutions, or you'd never utter the words "unconscious bias". You're interested in concocting "problems" that generate urgency in furthering "solutions" that align with your political, social, and cultural agendas. If you'd
going4roses
Whew do you feel any better/at ease?
going4roses
I think your handle should be IwantEveryonetoLose ... so I can have it all

You have got to be an alien or something

What happened to you/ what molded you?
iwantwinners
going4roses said:

I think your handle should be IwantEveryonetoLose ... so I can have it all

You have got to be an alien or something

What happened to you/ what molded you?
Aliens are people too!

This is a fact because I say so. We can self-identify and you MUST adhere to my language games.

Thank you for espousing tolerance of people who think differently than you. That's certainly a virtue.

You could expound on how I'm advocating others to "lose" so that I can "gain".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.