Will the NRA's grip on the GOP diminish in your lifetime? (Y/N)

93,830 Views | 772 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sycasey
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
B.A. Bearacus said:

Good use of Bloomberg money.

I don't think tRump is orange anymore. I think he is starting to get the tone of a French Foreign Legionnaire who has been lost in the Algerian Desert for a month....but who wore sunglasses.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GBear4Life
yeah, just throw money at the problem, that's their answer to everything smh
dimitrig

Don't know. Bigger question: Will GOP be relevant in 50 years?
sycasey
GBear4Life said:

yeah, just throw money at the problem, that's their answer to everything smh
When the Supreme Court says that money = speech, then yeah, that's what you've got to do.
Anarchistbear
Unit2Sucks said:

Anarchistbear said:

Military budget $738 billion, just increased with bipartisan support of "the resistance." 377-48. Guns rule.
It's not quite like that. The democrats traded family leave for federal workers (which is the right thing to do) for the creation of the unnecessary space force and increase in military. Of course republicans will probably take credit for increased family leave but they were willing to hold it hostage for more blood money - since they can't help but fund republican welfare.

My hope, which may never be fulfilled, is that the democrats will dramatically reduce military spending when they regain the government. I may be one of the few people outside Trump's base who like that he is addressing the military spend of our allies, I just disagree with his desired outcome. I think rather than encouraging people to increase military spend, we should get everyone in the world to decrease spend. It's a massive waste of global resources that could be put to better use, basically any use.

The idea that we have to fund space forces and increase an already bloated military budget and continue to fund a war in Yemen for family leave is not "progressive"- it's notionally crazy, especially if we are to believe they are granting this power to someone they regard simultaneously as unfit to serve as President.

Of course NATO should pay more and Macron, at least, accepts this idea but at the same time Trump's alleged isolationism is a sham-he always wants more- for Saudi Arabia, wars in Yemen and wars in space. And both parties give it. Increases in military and war making is almost always bipartisan
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

Unit2Sucks said:

Anarchistbear said:

Military budget $738 billion, just increased with bipartisan support of "the resistance." 377-48. Guns rule.
It's not quite like that. The democrats traded family leave for federal workers (which is the right thing to do) for the creation of the unnecessary space force and increase in military. Of course republicans will probably take credit for increased family leave but they were willing to hold it hostage for more blood money - since they can't help but fund republican welfare.

My hope, which may never be fulfilled, is that the democrats will dramatically reduce military spending when they regain the government. I may be one of the few people outside Trump's base who like that he is addressing the military spend of our allies, I just disagree with his desired outcome. I think rather than encouraging people to increase military spend, we should get everyone in the world to decrease spend. It's a massive waste of global resources that could be put to better use, basically any use.

The idea that we have to fund space forces and increase an already bloated military budget and continue to fund a war in Yemen for family leave is not "progressive"- it's notionally crazy, especially if we are to believe they are granting this power to someone they regard simultaneously as unfit to serve as President.

Of course NATO should pay more and Macron, at least, accepts this idea but at the same time Trump's alleged isolationism is a sham-he always wants more- for Saudi Arabia, wars in Yemen and wars in space. And both parties give it. Increases in military and war making is almost always bipartisan
No one is arguing that military spending is progressive. The argument is that Democrats had to agree to it to get something else they wanted.
Anarchistbear
False construct. . They are the majority.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

False construct. . They are the majority.
I didn't realize Democrats controlled the Senate and the White House.
Anarchistbear
The law was written in the House, was described as" progressive" by the House Chairman of Armed Services and passed overwhelmingly . As such it represents the majority of your party's thinking on these issues.
sycasey
Anarchistbear said:

The law was written in the House, was described as" progressive" by the House Chairman of Armed Services and passed overwhelmingly . As such it represents the majority of your party's thinking on these issues.
If you mean that political spin on a typically messy compromise was kind of crappy, no argument here. But this bill is the result of a compromise and negotiation between the Democratic House and Republican Senate, yes?
Anarchistbear
Everything I described was the House's bill. I don't believe it was returned by the Senate and negotiated.
bearister
dimitrig said:

Don't know. Bigger question: Will GOP be relevant in 50 years?

Anything is possible. The lesson of Vietnam did nothing to stop meat grinding futile foreign incursions decades later.
going4roses
Here comes trouble the un is hiring disarming forces in ny. And the state of VA is preparing the national guard to disarm.
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
Eastern Oregon Bear
going4roses said:

Here comes trouble the un is hiring disarming forces in ny. And the state of VA is preparing the national guard to disarm.
Could you translate this into English? Maybe provide a link to back whatever this is up.
Anarchistbear
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

going4roses said:

Could you translate this into English? Maybe provide a link to back whatever this is up.

The Virginia reference is that rural cities in Virginia are defying newly enacted gun control regulations by setting up second amendment sanctuary cities which would ignore enforcement. One- not too bright- politician threatened to send the national guard to take away guns but that would be insane.

Don't understand the UN reference.
going4roses
Tell someone you love them and try to have a good day
B.A. Bearacus

dajo9
#ETTD
American Vermin
smh
dajo9 said:

#ETTD
oh, Oh, i've got this one.. Everything Trump Touches Dies

poof..
https://www.thetrace.org/2020/08/financial-misconduct-nra-new-york-attorney-general
Quote:

New York Attorney General Sues to Dissolve the NRA
[url=https://www.thetrace.org/2020/08/nra-lawsuit-letitia-james-new-york/][/url]
Calling the gun group "a personal piggy bank" for executives, Letitia James laid out a pattern of financial mismanagement, many details of which were first reported by The Trace.

Many of the allegations contained in the 164-page civil complaint are based on reporting from The Trace. In our April 2019 investigation, published in partnership with The New Yorker, former Trace staff writer Mike Spies unearthed a laundry list of financial improprieties and self-dealing. Follow-up reporting by Spies and others fleshed out how top executives had lined their pockets with lucrative compensation packages and racked up suspicious six-figure charges.

James's complaint adds a slew of new details about how the NRA and its leaders spent the money of rank-and-file members and failed to exercise due diligence. Below, you'll find some of the most shocking details.
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

I think Webster's Dictionary just acquired a new definition of the term, "Crying shame."
GoOskie
bearister said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

I think Webster's Dictionary just acquired a new definition of the term, "Crying shame."
Yea, good riddance. I'm sure the libs will somehow be blamed for this.
This just in: Republicans find another whistleblower who claims Hillary's emails were proven to be on Hunter's laptop while Obama spied on tRump as he sat (shat?) upon his golden toilet. Gym Jordan afraid whistle blower may be in danger of abduction by aliens in cahoots with Democrats.
bearister
GoOskie said:

bearister said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

...and I am sure the filing is as full of shenanigans as a tRump bankruptcy filing. The Trustee in Bankruptcy will need a division of the Army with them when they go in to inventory the assets.
sycasey
joe amos yaks
okaydo said:

One of my classmates was shot and killed during another class during my first year of high school by a 15-year-old boy with a .357 magnum.

When I look back at that incident, I think: "How quaint."
A .357 is a big hand gun. Big enough to remove a limb.
You don't just aim and pull the trigger. There's the recoil.
It requires skill to fire it without breakiing your nose or losing teeth..
Where does a kid get one to bring to school?
joe amos yaks
bearister said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

Good use of Bloomberg money.

I don't think tRump is orange anymore. I think he is starting to get the tone of a French Foreign Legionnaire who has been lost in the Algerian Desert for a month....but who wore sunglasses.

The POTUS has a "golfers tan".
FuzzyWuzzy
Trump's eyes look like Melania's in the last photo. Maybe same makeup artist
bearister
FuzzyWuzzy said:

Trump's eyes look like Melania's in the last photo. Maybe same makeup artist

He has the look of a guy that was the victim of an alien abduction and anally probe for 6 weeks before escaping from the spaceship.

bearister
bearister said:

GoOskie said:

bearister said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

...and I am sure the filing is as full of shenanigans as a tRump bankruptcy filing. The Trustee in Bankruptcy will need a division of the Army with them when they go in to inventory the assets.

Well, as I was saying...

"A major donor to the National Rifle Association is poised to challenge key aspects of the gun group's bankruptcy filing, in an attempt to hold executives accountable for allegedly having defrauded their members of millions of dollars to support their own lavish lifestyles....
... Dell'Aquila alleged that "LaPierre had received hundreds of thousands of dollars in clothing, private jet travel and other benefits".

The suit points to $243,644 spent on luxury travel to the Bahamas, Palm Beach and Italy and $274,695 dispensed at clothing stores in Beverly Hills."

Major NRA donor to challenge gun group's bankruptcy over alleged fraud
Major NRA donor to challenge gun group's bankruptcy over alleged fraud

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/16/nra-donor-bankruptcy-dave-dellaquila-wayne-lapierre?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
concordtom
bearister said:

All the teasing about him being orange has caused him to shift to a whitish blonde. It's pretty funny to consider.
He's also lightened up on the tan cream or booth, which caused the skin surrounding his eyes to be too white in contrast.
concordtom
okaydo said:

One of my classmates was shot and killed during another class during my first year of high school by a 15-year-old boy with a .357 magnum.

When I look back at that incident, I think: "How quaint."

Mind sharing the year and location? That's pretty shocking.

In jr high in Montclair an 8th grader found the gun in the closet and shot and killed his dad.

In high school, Orinda, one girl stabbed another to death. They even made a movie out of it. Preppy white girls don't do that often.
bearister
Murder of Kirsten Costas - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kirsten_Costas
smh
guns bad
concordtom
Very Tragic.
The conclusion was that she didn't feel "good enough" in a community of kids that could be very cutting, snooty.
The contrast of my experiences in Montclair and Orinda are very interesting.
In Montclair, single mom didn't get home till 7:30 on average. Too much freedom meant that my brother roamed and got into trouble. Ruined his life, one could argue.
In Orinda, too structured, not enough roam and kids were somewhat stifled.

I moved my kids out of Concord because I couldn't afford the Lamorinda experience and feared that Concord was going the way of Montclair. I look forward to hearing them say how it is in rural Placer county. Middle class, less social pressure, perhaps. But too many Trump signs all over the place, and I hear shotguns all the time - since this IS an NRA thread. Lots of deer out here.

I know of no place that is that idyllic America that Trumpists dream of with their "Make America Great Again" slogan. I think it only exists in films, and for this reason Pleasantville is an excellent one. The truth is, it's always been tough to grow up and make it in this world. And in many ways, with social media and all the distractions (not to mention expectations) of modern life, it may be harder now than it ever was (psychologically) - yet easier now than it ever was (technological gains). Social mobility potential is high, yet where are we going?
concordtom
I never heard of this one:

smh
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206871/
> 1h 35min, 17 September 1987 (canada)
> imdb rating 7.6 (335 votes)
> In "Landscape Suicide" Benning continues his examination of Americana through the stories of two murderers. Ed Gein was a Wisconsin farmer and multiple murderer who taxidermied his victims in the 1950s. Bernadette Prott was a California teenager who stabbed a friend to death over an insult in 1984.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.