Breaking News

862,840 Views | 10891 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The irony being that the man responsible for the worst king maker on the SCOTUS, is Joe Biden, when he refused to admit compelling evidence of Clarence Thomas' MO of serial sexual harassment from the Confirmation Hearings.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
calbear93 said:

tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

It does seem like it could be a bit of a mess determining what is "official" and what isn't. A former president could argue that all kinds of illegal things were "official." But maybe that's just the legal system for you.
There is like 16 pages of decision covering just that. I have not reached it yet.

There are lines saying the courts cannot consider the President's intent and cannot rely on evidence from advisors (probably a bad summary by me). Things that make you go HMMM...
Seems like you would have joined with Barrett in her partial concurrence. I think her position is stronger than the majority.
It is a big decision with weighty issues. I am still processing.

One area where I'm troubled: I'm generally on board with the notion that a President has immunity for official acts. But this opinion feels incomplete because the alleged criminal conduct was for the President's own benefit. That is a big distinguishing factor, IMO. Obama had an American citizen killed overseas, believing him to be a terrorist, without a trial. Official act for the benefit of the country's national security. Immunity seems completely appropriate. This is different.

Generally, I would caution non-lawyer types to be cautious and suspicious of the characterizations your normal news sources provide. It is a complex ruling. The normal summaries we get from news sources cannot really do us justice for adequately explaining it and its implications. For example, there are whole hosts of issues where SCOTUS rightly sends this back to the District Court. This decisions is clearly positive news for Trump but he is definitely not out of the woods by a long shot.
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

movielover said:

Fox News: Trump touts Supreme Court's presidential immunity ruling as 'big win for our Constitution and for democracy'

Supreme Court rules Trump immune from criminal prosecution for 'official acts'

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-touts-supreme-courts-presidential-immunity-ruling-big-win-our-constitution-democracy
I am reading the opinion now. Conceptually I'm on board with the legal notion that official acts are covered by immunity. EG, Obama decided to kill an American terrorist without a trial. Official act, no criminality. Fine. But there are some details that are potentially troubling. Back to reading...
If Biden declares Trump to be an enemy of the state, can he now legally take him out as an Official Act?
How about pulling the plug on FoxNews and all the other Right Wing LIARS?

While murder is too far for me, I'm hoping that this current administration does something that makes people's hair stand on it's ends in order to FORCE congress and SCOTUS to fix the mess that's been made - because if Trump is electred, he will be using all of the power that SCOTUS has just granted him, and the USA will be no more.

I would predict that eventually markets will fall as global investors realize that the USA is not a reliable partner.
This creates massive instability. NATO is going to fall, and we will be in another round of global opportunism. Nations will pull the trigger on their deadliest weapons. We are all going to die. Thank you Donald Trump. All because he couldn't stand Barack Obama being President and so invented "Birtherism". Jesus Christ!
dajo9
The Supreme Court decides what is an official act and what is not an official act. Presidents the Supreme Court likes will have more immunity than Presidents the Supreme Court does not like. President Biden will have no such leeway.
American Vermin
WalterSobchak
dajo9 said:

The Supreme Court decides what is an official act and what is not an official act. Presidents the Supreme Court likes will have more immunity than Presidents the Supreme Court does not like. President Biden will have no such leeway.
EXACTLY
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
dajo9
WalterSobchak said:

dajo9 said:

EXACTLY

You don't have to be a lawyer to understand a political body like the Supreme Court.
American Vermin
bear2034

Where did Walter's posts go?
WalterSobchak
bear2034 said:

Our day is coming? Hmm I wonder what that means? It's so hard to decipher.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 10% of alumni to give $300 per year. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear

Thanks for reading my sig! Please consider copying or adapting it and using it on all of your posts too. Go Bears!
calbear93
tequila4kapp said:

calbear93 said:

tequila4kapp said:

sycasey said:

It does seem like it could be a bit of a mess determining what is "official" and what isn't. A former president could argue that all kinds of illegal things were "official." But maybe that's just the legal system for you.
There is like 16 pages of decision covering just that. I have not reached it yet.

There are lines saying the courts cannot consider the President's intent and cannot rely on evidence from advisors (probably a bad summary by me). Things that make you go HMMM...
Seems like you would have joined with Barrett in her partial concurrence. I think her position is stronger than the majority.

One area where I'm troubled: I'm generally on board with the notion that a President has immunity for official acts. But this opinion feels incomplete because the alleged criminal conduct was for the President's own benefit. That is a big distinguishing factor, IMO. Obama had an American citizen killed overseas, believing him to be a terrorist, without a trial. Official act for the benefit of the country's national security. Immunity seems completely appropriate. This is different.

Generally, I would caution non-lawyer types to be cautious and suspicious of the characterizations your normal news sources provide. It is a complex ruling. The normal summaries we get from news sources cannot really do us justice for adequately explaining it and its implications. For example, there are whole hosts of issues where SCOTUS rightly sends this back to the District Court. This decisions is clearly positive news for Trump but he is definitely not out of the woods by a long shot.
I don't think the court held today that election interference and treatment of classified information after leaving the office are official acts. The lower courts will have to make that determination.

What is exempt is prosecution gaining access to confidential and classified discussions that a president has with his cabinet to gather evidence for another crime. While maybe not here, allowing that to proceed would lead to fishing expedition that will create a big hole for future administration to find causes to imprison the prior president and chill political process.
calbear93
WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

What the reasonable meaning of that is that the expedient, short-sighted actions taken by the Democrats when in power can be flipped to their chagrin when the other side is in power.

With the odds now in favor of Trump winning, you should be thankful for the court's actions limiting the executive branch from being dictators through executive agencies and limiting the sitting president from finding reasons to prosecute the former administration for official actions.

Sometimes the Democrats are like teenagers thinking short-term without inability to think about long term consequences when the rash action is used against them. Remove filibuster for appointment of non-Supreme Court justices? The Republicans then use the same arguments after the protection was broken by the Democrats to appoint the most conservative justices who would not have passed filibuster.

And then you get what you get.
WalterSobchak
calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

What the reasonable meaning of that is that the expedient, short-sighted actions taken by the Democrats when in power can be flipped to their chagrin when the other side is in power.

With the odds now in favor of Trump winning, you should be thankful for the court's actions limiting the executive branch from being dictators through executive agencies and limiting the sitting president from finding reasons to prosecute the former administration for official actions.

Sometimes the Democrats are like teenagers thinking short-term without inability to think about long term consequences when the rash action is used against them. Remove filibuster for appointment of non-Supreme Court justices? The Republicans then use the same arguments after the protection was broken by the Democrats to appoint the most conservative justices who would not have passed filibuster.

LOL. Wow. I knew you didn't have a clue but thanks for crystalizing it so perfectly.

calbear93
WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

LOL. Wow. I knew you didn't have a clue but thanks for crystalizing it so perfectly.
Yes, it's me who doesn't have a clue.

No, you are right. We are headed for a civil war due to these holdings and Supreme Court stated that Supreme Court justices can be assassinated.

You truly are the one with a clue.
tequila4kapp
calbear93 said:

tequila4kapp said:

I don't think the court held today that election interference and treatment of classified information after leaving the office are official acts. The lower courts will have to make that determination.

What is exempt is prosecution gaining access to confidential and classified discussions that a president has with his cabinet to gather evidence for another crime. While maybe not here, allowing that to proceed would lead to fishing expedition that will create a big hole for future administration to find causes to imprison the prior president and chill political process.
Generally, we are in agreement on this topic. But note they did rule that his threat to fire Barr was an explicit executive function fully protected by immunity. As the Dissent notes, that was allegedly an act in furtherance of a greater conspiracy, not just a regular old executive event. Or in my terms, it was an official act done for personal gain, which I see as a distinguishing characteristic.

And once I dip my toes in those waters then I choke a bit on the other concepts like access to official records and discussion with aids, and not looking to intent. As a matter of law I think they missed the mark by not accounting for this component.

So maybe my version would be: 1) presidential immunity exists for official acts done in the furtherance of official duties; 2) prosecutors can claim an official act was done for personal gain; 3) lower courts can make evidentiary and other rulings related to that claim; 4) A president has Interlocutory relief (see Barrett's concurrence); 5) to the extent resolving those issues interferes with the President's execution of his duties...I don't know what, but I might have gone down this path if I were SCOTUS.
WalterSobchak
calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

No, you are right. We are headed for a civil war due to these holdings and Supreme Court stated that Supreme Court justices can be assassinated.

Keep whistling.

tequila4kapp
Since our friends on the left are already losing their **** over this decision we may as well get it all out there. Virtually the entire Thomas concurrence explicitly states his belief that the Smith appointment was illegal. This issue is being litigated separately but the law, as seen by one SCOTUS, is out there for all to see. Trump needs 4 more votes on that one.

And another bone for our friends on the left to run with: the words "Presidential immunity" are nowhere in the Constitution but SCOTUS held it exists because it is (my words) inherent in the structure of our government. Contrast with Roe. There are obvious differences but it's worth getting it on the table for open discussion.
calbear93
tequila4kapp said:

calbear93 said:

tequila4kapp said:

Generally, we are in agreement on this topic. But note they did rule that his threat to fire Barr was an explicit executive function fully protected by immunity. As the Dissent notes, that was allegedly an act in furtherance of a greater conspiracy, not just a regular old executive event. Or in my terms, it was an official act done for personal gain, which I see as a distinguishing characteristic.

And once I dip my toes in those waters then I choke a bit on the other concepts like access to official records and discussion with aids, and not looking to intent. As a matter of law I think they missed the mark by not accounting for this component.

So maybe my version would be: 1) presidential immunity exists for official acts done in the furtherance of official duties; 2) prosecutors can claim an official act was done for personal gain; 3) lower courts can make evidentiary and other rulings related to that claim; 4) A president has Interlocutory relief (see Barrett's concurrence); 5) to the extent resolving those issues interferes with the President's execution of his duties...I don't know what, but I might have gone down this path if I were SCOTUS.
I think the courts made it harder in some instances and easier in other instances.

For official acts that are not core to the presidency but are still official acts, there is only presumptive immunity. The prosecution can show that applying a criminal prohibition would not result in chilling the execution of presidential duties. Any act that is solely taken for personal gain probably does not survive the presumption.

I however would have maybe gone only as far as Justice Barrett did.
calbear93
WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

Keep whistling.
It's sad that your above post is the least unhinged thing you have written. Still unhinged but only on the outer area of P(progressive)Anon.
WalterSobchak
calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

Keep whistling.
It's sad that your above post is the least unhinged thing you have written. Still unhinged but only on the outer area of P(progressive)Anon.
It's sad you're so naive.

calbear93
WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

Keep whistling.
Well, conspiracy nuts are always writing that normal people are naive. Oh, it's so naive of you to think Clinton is not running some cannibalistic cabal through a pizza parlor. How naive.
WalterSobchak
calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

Keep whistling.
Well, conspiracy nuts are always writing that normal people are naive. Oh, it's so naive of you to think Clinton is not running some cannibalistic cabal through a pizza parlor. How naive.
Now you say a SCOTUS case is on par with pizzagate. Keep making my point.

calbear93
WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

calbear93 said:

WalterSobchak said:

bear2034 said:

Keep whistling.
Now you say a SCOTUS case is on par with pizzagate. Keep making my point.
I can't be making a point that you yourself don't have unless your point is that the case will lead to a civil war (quoting you) and that the courts have held that the president can kill supreme court justices they don't like (again paraphrasing what you wrote). Did I catch your point?
movielover
This part of footnote 3 is interesting:

"What the prosecutor may not do, however, is admit testimony or private records of the President or his advisers probing the official act itself. Allowing that sort of evidence would invite the jury to inspect the President's motivations for his official actions and to second-guess their propriety. As we have explained, such inspection would be 'highly intrusive' and would ' "seriously cripple" ' the President's exercise of his official duties. Fitzgerald, 457 U. S., at 745, 756 (quoting Spalding v. Vilas, 161 U. S. 483, 498 (1896)); see supra, at 18. And such second-guessing would 'threaten the independence or effectiveness of the Executive.' Trump v. Vance, 591 U. S. 786, 805 (2020)."
tequila4kapp
movielover said:

This part of footnote 3 is interesting:

"What the prosecutor may not do, however, is admit testimony or private records of the President or his advisers probing the official act itself. Allowing that sort of evidence would invite the jury to inspect the President's motivations for his official actions and to second-guess their propriety. As we have explained, such inspection would be 'highly intrusive' and would ' "seriously cripple" ' the President's exercise of his official duties. Fitzgerald, 457 U. S., at 745, 756 (quoting Spalding v. Vilas, 161 U. S. 483, 498 (1896)); see supra, at 18. And such second-guessing would 'threaten the independence or effectiveness of the Executive.' Trump v. Vance, 591 U. S. 786, 805 (2020)."
There are all kinds of little details like this that really need to be thought through. As an example, apply the new standard to Nixon / Watergate (assuming he wasn't pardoned) or Obama with the American killed overseas without a trial. What results do we get?
AunBear89
In a nutshell: with these decisions, the far right Supremes have said that corporations and presidents can now proceed with far less regulation than before.
movielover
blungld
Remember, we've heard it for decades from the right, there is nothing worse than activist judges, right?
WalterSobchak
AunBear89 said:

In a nutshell: with these decisions, the far right Supremes have said that corporations and presidents can now proceed with far less regulation than before.
It's a good thing there's no conflict of interest resulting from lavish personal gifts or else this would all be really inappropriate. Thank goodness they're diligently regulating themselves so none of this will have any impact whatsoever on the legitimacy of the federal government.

movielover
Mumbles will be giving a short presser soon, allegedly to speak about the Supremes decision today. Or to step aside.
movielover
Twelve point swing in New Hampshire - President Trump up 2 points.

https://www.wmur.com/article/poll-biden-trump-new-hampshire-7124/61476771
movielover
bear2034
Thankfully, Wikileaks is still up including Hillary Clinton's email archive:

WikiLeaks - Hillary Clinton Email Archive
bear2034
WalterSobchak said:

Why are Democrats afraid of retribution? Just take it.
movielover
bear2034 said:

WalterSobchak said:

Why are Democrats afraid of retribution? Just take it.

Bend over, bend over, let Rover take over.

Democrats project. The GOP is actually in bed w them (UniParty), and they don't play hardball. Trump had great success, and the radical Progressives undid it all within months.

Argentina's Milei plays hardball, so does the President of El Salvador.
movielover
movielover
First Page
Page 311 of 312

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.