Breaking News

976,918 Views | 11759 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by movielover
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Eastern Oregon Bear
okaydo said:

Socrates, Plato and Aristotle could not be reached for comment.
movielover
AunBear89 said:

Source. And we will need something from outside the far right Twitter bubble.

I became friends with a Puerto Rican family and they gave me the skinny on the island, rampant corruption, etc. Remember all the issues and money spent on their power grid, and our Navy left polluted lands there.

There have been six votes. There are more than just "pros" to PR becoming a state. I watched a Netflix documentary several years ago which covered some of the votes and issues.

PR would have to add Federal taxes (Puerto Rico's income tax is only 4%). There are currently no taxes on dividends or capital gains. They'd lose their spot in the Olympics. US stares would also lose House members (CA, TX, WA, FL, MN).
concordtom
Full visible quote

"I said at one point, when I was deciding what to do with my life, having realized my athletic career was over with," Harris told Defector via email, "and having seen a wonderful actor at the [Oklahoma University] summer theater and the people applauding and cheering for his performance, I thought to myself: 'Maybe I could do that... acting-and have people applaud like when I scored touchdowns."
movielover
bearister
Marriage is on the decline in the U.S.

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/25/marriage-declining-single-dating-taxes-relationships

* One byproduct of this tend will be fertility doctors cleaning up.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
movielover said:

AunBear89 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

RINO / UniParty RdS.

What is your objection to Puerto Rico becoming a state?

Two additional Democratic Senators.

Yup, and PR is ambivalent about becoming a state.
You realize no one is advocating to FORCE Puerto Rico to become a state, right?

Assuming they voted in favor, would you have an objection?
movielover
Undecided. Lots of unknown factors. But I want to visit.
bearister
I just stumbled over this Cal Bear in the course of doing some research on Neil Young's album, On the Beach.

Gary Burden - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Burden

sycasey
movielover said:

What factors would cause you to go against the popular will of the people?
Cal88
sycasey said:

movielover said:

Cough cough Crimea, Donbass...
sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

If they can hold a real vote without a military occupation over their heads, then we can talk about that.
Cal88
Yes because 85%, percentage confirmed by 3 western polls, is definitely not enough.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

Yes because 85%, percentage confirmed by 3 western polls, is definitely not enough.

It's fun to see when you guys trust polls and when you don't. How much did Trump win by, again?
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

It's fun to see when you guys trust polls and when you don't. How much did Trump win by, again?

You know damn well that the margins of a typical US presidential election have nothing to do with the many polls done by western polling agencies in Crimea during and after the referendum, no comparison whatsoever. You're just posting in bad faith, which unfortunately is something that happens fairly often here:

Quote:

Wkiipedia:

Post-referendum polls in Crimea

The results of a survey by the U.S. government Broadcasting Board of Governors agency, conducted April 2129, 2014, showed that 83% of Crimeans felt that the results of the March 16 referendum on Crimea's status [joining Russia] likely reflected the views of most people there, whereas this view is shared only by 30% in the rest of Ukraine.

According to the Gallup's survey performed on April 21-27, 82.8% of Crimean people consider the referendum results reflecting most Crimeans' views, and 73.9% of Crimeans say Crimea's becoming part of Russia will make life better for themselves and their families, while 5.5% disagree.

According to survey carried out by Pew Research Center in April 2014, the majority of Crimean residents say they believed the referendum was free and fair (91%) and that the government in Kyiv ought to recognize the results of the vote (88%).

According to a poll of the Crimeans by the Ukrainian branch of Germany's biggest market research organization, GfK, on January 1622, 2015: "82% of those polled said they fully supported Crimea's inclusion in Russia, and another 11% expressed partial support. Only 4% spoke out against it. ... 51% reported their well-being had improved in the past year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum#Post-referendum_polls

sycasey
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

You know damn well that the margins of a typical US presidential election have nothing to do with the many polls done by western polling agencies in Crimea during and after the referendum, no comparison whatsoever. You're just posting in bad faith, which unfortunately is something that happens fairly often here:

Quote:

Wkiipedia:

The results of a survey by the U.S. government Broadcasting Board of Governors agency, conducted April 2129, 2014, showed that 83% of Crimeans felt that the results of the March 16 referendum on Crimea's status [joining Russia] likely reflected the views of most people there, whereas this view is shared only by 30% in the rest of Ukraine.

According to the Gallup's survey performed on April 21-27, 82.8% of Crimean people consider the referendum results reflecting most Crimeans' views, and 73.9% of Crimeans say Crimea's becoming part of Russia will make life better for themselves and their families, while 5.5% disagree.

According to survey carried out by Pew Research Center in April 2014, the majority of Crimean residents say they believed the referendum was free and fair (91%) and that the government in Kyiv ought to recognize the results of the vote (88%).

According to a poll of the Crimeans by the Ukrainian branch of Germany's biggest market research organization, GfK, on January 1622, 2015: "82% of those polled said they fully supported Crimea's inclusion in Russia, and another 11% expressed partial support. Only 4% spoke out against it. ... 51% reported their well-being had improved in the past year."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Crimean_status_referendum#Post-referendum_polls

No, here's how this works: you don't get to send your military in and THEN hold a poll or "election" and claim legitimacy. You hold the vote first and then do a peaceful transition. Doing it Putin's way is illegitimate.

If the US held a Puerto Rican statehood vote at literal gunpoint I wouldn't consider that legit either.
movielover
And we were so fair with Hawaii.
sycasey
movielover said:

Yeah, that was kind of wrong too. But also a long time ago and I would expect us to have progressed as a civilization since then.
Cal88
sycasey said:

movielover said:

Yeah, that was kind of wrong too. But also a long time ago and I would expect us to have progressed as a civilization since then.

We've never stopped, we're "doing" several countries right now, Haiti for example, just to stick to PR's neighborhood. We've killed their president recently, squashed their anticolonial rebellion, but you won't hear about it on CNN or MSNBC.

The only thing that is different now is that the MSM has become the PR arm of the MIC, and much of the general public is too gullible to notice.
Cal88
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

Quote:

Wkiipedia:

No, here's how this works: you don't get to send your military in and THEN hold a poll or "election" and claim legitimacy. You hold the vote first and then do a peaceful transition. Doing it Putin's way is illegitimate.

If the US held a Puerto Rican statehood vote at literal gunpoint I wouldn't consider that legit either.

Russia didn`t have to intervene in Crimea, in 2014, 18,000 of the 21,000 Ukrainian army stationed in Crimea flipped sides, as that garrison was almost exclusively made up with local Crimeans.

There has not been any "Crimean Liberation Front" or any kind of serious opposition to Crimea having joined Russia within Crimea. What you have instead is a thriving economy and locals, 80% of whom are Russian, that are very happy that Russia was able to rebuild their infrastructure and restore their access to water, which had been cynically cut off by the Kiev government.

Kiev blocked the main canal from the Dniepr feeding Crimea for years, crippling Crimean agriculture, with that water going to waste into the Black Sea. That's how much Ukraine really cares about Crimea...

The Kiev government learned its lesson from Crimea and made sure to staff their personnel in rebel places like Mariupol and Odessa with soldiers from central/western Ukraine. In the Donbass, the locals also switched sides, forming the Luhansk and Donetsk armies, which have stood up to attacks from the Kiev government for 7 years.
movielover
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

We've never stopped, we're "doing" several countries right now, Haiti for example, just to stick to PR's neighborhood. We've killed their president recently, squashed their anticolonial rebellion, but you won't hear about it on CNN or MSNBC.

The only thing that is different now is that the MSM has become the PR arm of the MIC, and much of the general public is too gullible to notice.

No bueno.
sycasey
Cal88 said:

We've killed their president recently,

I tried skimming through this article and can't find where anyone says the US was responsible for the Haitian president's assassination. If anything, the guest seems to suggest the US government mostly liked that guy. What are you talking about?

And given that this is the Grayzone, I would expect them to take the most anti-US line possible. If even they aren't claiming a coup in this case then I think there's nothing there.
Cal88
Article says:
Quote:

US ties to suspected Haiti assassins follow long history of neocolonial intervention

As ties emerge between the US government and the suspected assassins of Haitian President Jovenel Moise, scholar Jemima Pierre analyzes Moise's legacy and murder within the long history of neocolonial US intervention in Haiti.

A growing number of suspects in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise have US ties. At least one is a former DEA informant and several have received U.S. military training.

Sycasey:
Quote:

can't find where anyone says the US was responsible for the Haitian president's assassination.

OK...

sycasey
Cal88 said:

Article says:
Quote:

US ties to suspected Haiti assassins follow long history of neocolonial intervention

As ties emerge between the US government and the suspected assassins of Haitian President Jovenel Moise, scholar Jemima Pierre analyzes Moise's legacy and murder within the long history of neocolonial US intervention in Haiti.

A growing number of suspects in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moise have US ties. At least one is a former DEA informant and several have received U.S. military training.

Sycasey:
Quote:

can't find where anyone says the US was responsible for the Haitian president's assassination.

OK...

You think this is evidence?

OK…
Big C

Look, if you can't trust your own government to make life-or-death judgements about foreign heads of state, maybe you should move to a different country.
Eastern Oregon Bear
Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Where do you find Donbass and Crimea in Puerto Rico? Are they on the west side of the island?
oski003
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

Where do you find Donbass and Crimea in Puerto Rico? Are they on the west side of the island?

Your joke is not clever. You know what he means.
Eastern Oregon Bear
oski003 said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

I wasn't posting a joke. At the time Cal88 brought up Donbass and Crimea, movielover and sycasey had been discussing Puerto Rico. Cal88's obsessive interjection about Ukraine was out of left field and a blatant attempt to hijack the conversation back to what he prefers to mass post about.
oski003

oski003 said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

movielover said:

I wasn't posting a joke. At the time Cal88 brought up Donbass and Crimea, movielover and sycasey had been discussing Puerto Rico. Cal88's obsessive interjection about Ukraine was out of left field and a blatant attempt to hijack the conversation back to what he prefers to mass post about.

He clearly was giving an example of a recent election / poll where most here opposed its results, essentially not acknowledging the differentiating factor, which is that many here believe the referendums in Crimea etc were not the actual will of the people because of Russia's influence.
Instead of actually reading what he said, you mocked him.
movielover
We could do this, but we're too corrupt and Woke.

Cal88
movielover said:

We could do this, but we're too corrupt and Woke.

Looks like a very spectacular operation, well done, also got to tip your hat to the production values of this video. In the age of social media, the message conveyed is very powerful. Hopefully Mexico will also conduct such operations soon, though the challenge there seems greater.

I think El Salvador has been the world leader in homicide rates due to these gangs, which are a legacy of violence from the dirty covert war led by the US in the 1980s, spawning the death squads that eventually morphed into gangs. These death squads were already involved in the drug trade with ties to Colombia back in the 1980s (see Iran Contra scandal, which relates to neighboring Nicaragua were similar methods were used as in El Salvador).

Quote:

El Salvador was the largest U.S. counterinsurgency effort before the current conflicts and after Vietnam. For 12 years, Washington funded, trained and advised the Salvadoran military in a brutal war against Cuban-backed guerrillas. More than 1 percent of the population was murdered, most by government death squads and army units.
https://www.americamagazine.org/arts-culture/2016/12/06/too-often-history-el-salvadors-civil-war-lets-united-states-too-easily
movielover
So we were trying to keep communism out? (Top mant to keep track of them all.)
Eastern Oregon Bear
Scott Adams enters retirement.

'Dilbert' distributor drops creator Scott Adams over his racist remarks

In a joint statement, Andrews McMeel Chairman Hugh Andrews and CEO and President Andy Sareyan said that the syndication company was "severing our relationship" with Adams and condemned his remarks, saying "we will never support any commentary rooted in discrimination or hate."
bearister
movielover said:

So we were trying to keep communism out? (Top mant to keep track of them all.)

Yes, but as Che Guevara found out the hard way in Bolivia, the campesinato wasn't interested in demonstrating that the Domino Theory had any validity.
sycasey
oski003 said:

many here believe the referendums in Crimea etc were not the actual will of the people because of Russia's influence.
Not quite what I believe. I think it's possible that a majority of Crimeans legitimately want to be part of Russia, or did before Russia annexed them.

I just don't think any of the polling or referendums done since the invasion are convincing evidence of that. Too tainted.
First Page Last Page
Page 144 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.