Dems showing true compassion for the working man

8,077 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Krugman Is A Moron
95bears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dimitrig said:

Dems are just trying to stick it the the GOP the same way the GOP has been sticking it to the Dems. What goes around comes around.

that makes it right?
Yogi02
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

They are objecting to the $500 billion unregulated corporate slush fund. Why can't cons pass a bill to help the working class without filling it with corporate pork for their oligarch masters?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!
Can't you have a single discussion without getting the claws out? Why are you so thin-skinned?
Yeah, sure, your sarcastic title about Democrats lacking compassion for the working man was perfectly civil.

Give me a break.
Evidently everything was a "go" until Pelosi came back from her vacation. The article is from CNN.
Here's what Pelosi came back from vacation with and tried to cram in the bill:

Quote:

1. Corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards at companies receiving assistance

2. Bailing out all current debt of postal service

3. Required early voting

4. Required same day voter registration

5. 10k bailout for student loans

6. For companies accepting assistance, 1/3 of board members must be chosen by workers

7. Provisions on official time for union collective bargaining

8. Full offset of airline emissions by 2025

9. Greenhouse gas statistics for individual flights

10. Retirement plans for community newspaper employees

11. $15 minimum wage at companies receiving assistance

12. Permanent paid leave at companies receiving assistance
As liberals, many of you probably like these ideas but they have no business being crammed into this desperately needed aid bill. It's pure, bull*&%* shameless politics, trying to take advantage of a crisis to help them gain further political strength.

We are talking about a Senate bill. Pelosi can't "cram" anything into that. Her House can draft its own bill, though. Is that what you mean?
Yes, Pelosi now has her own bill, but from the stuff crammed into it, it seems it has AOC's fingerprints all over it.
Pelosi lets AOC draft her bills?
Yogi02
sycasey said:

Democrats draft a bill that has stuff Democrats want. Republicans draft a bill that has stuff Republicans want. Now they have to negotiate and can't just get everything they want. What a concept!
But time is of the essence
Yogi02
AunBear89 said:

Won't someone PLEASE think about the Fortune 500?!?!
dimitrig
95bears said:

dimitrig said:

Dems are just trying to stick it the the GOP the same way the GOP has been sticking it to the Dems. What goes around comes around.

that makes it right?

Is it right when the GOP does it?
bearlyamazing
AunBear89 said:

Please stop lying. Trump does enough of it for all of you GOP minions.

Or do you honestly believe that $500 Billion corporate slush fund will go to keeping the lights on and salaries for the rank and file? Just like Trump's corporate tax break did? Oh, wait - it didn't.

I suspect much of what the Dems are throwing in there are poison pill amendments to keep the GOP goosesteppers from rubber stamping Mnuchin's Free Money Pot for the Fortune 500 (aka The Real GOP Base).
Stop lying? Corporate slush fund? The lack of honesty, reality and logic in posts like this is dumbfounding.

Oh yeah, the money's not going keep jobs in place and corporations solvent. It's going to corporate slush funds, to line the fat cat's pockets! We need to throw a bunch of lefty agenda crap to increase our power to take advantage of this monumental crisis to show them who's boss and to increase our power!
sycasey
95bears said:

dimitrig said:

that makes it right?
That makes it politics.

They will negotiate a bill and come up with a compromise. Unlike a lot of other stuff that gets stonewalled, both sides actually do have a lot of incentive to pass this thing.
sycasey
95bears said:

I don't have a dog in this fight (independent, hate Trump), but the fact is that between the Senate Bill and the House Bill, the Democrats have crammed more off-topic pork in to critical life-or-death, historic, urgent legislation than the GOP has. Is there anything comparable to stuff like this in the Republican bill (seriously, I'd love to know):

$35M for the JFK Center?
$300M for the National Endowment for the Arts
$300M for the National Endowment for the humanities
$100M for NASA (I love space research more than most, but don't get the urgency to fund them)

And then almost $300M additional for the IRS. That one is debatable as they have a $12B operating cost but what are they going to do with it?

That's $1B that could be used to offer product and production bounties to medical device and biotech companies.

I have two small businesses that are on track to get killed by this thing. Am working on layoff plans right now and trying to structure credit facilities (futile, credit markets are carnage).

Dems are out of touch. It just appears to be madness. I wish we could make every politician have to start and run a business for a month and realize a) it's very hard and b) employers aren't evil.

So here's the thing:

In general, Democrats believe that government should do MORE. Republicans believe that government should do LESS. So of course Republicans don't tend to add a bunch of extra spending to a bill beyond their few favorite things to throw money at (big business and the military). Their version of "extreme" is something very different.

However, it does seem to me that Democrats are finally taking their opportunity to squeeze Republicans on something they need to pass the way the GOP kept squeezing Obama on the debt ceiling and other things.

I wish our government didn't have to work this way, but I'm not too worried about this bill actually being killed at any point.
chazzed
Yessir. Republicans have really lowered the bar when it comes to politics, in recent years. So, I'm fine with the Democrats returning the favor (not that Democrats are doing anything close to "dirty" in this case).
AunBear89
Got it. Your opinion is clearly stated:

IOIYAR!!!!!
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
bearlyamazing
House Democrats released their own 1,400-page stimulus package to address the coronavirus, and it includes $300 million for refugees.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released the $2.5 trillion economic relief package Monday after a $2 trillion Senate version failed to advance.

The package calls "for an additional amount for 'Migration and Refugee Assistance'" of $300 million to "remain available until expended, for necessary expenses to prevent, prepare for, and respond to coronavirus: Provided, That such amount is designated by the Congress as being for an emergency requirement pursuant to section 251(b)(2)(A)(i) of the Balanced Budget and Emergency Deficit Control Act of 1985."
calpoly
95bears said:

I don't have a dog in this fight (independent, hate Trump), but the fact is that between the Senate Bill and the House Bill, the Democrats have crammed more off-topic pork in to critical life-or-death, historic, urgent legislation than the GOP has. Is there anything comparable to stuff like this in the Republican bill (seriously, I'd love to know):

$35M for the JFK Center?
$300M for the National Endowment for the Arts
$300M for the National Endowment for the humanities
$100M for NASA (I love space research more than most, but don't get the urgency to fund them)

And then almost $300M additional for the IRS. That one is debatable as they have a $12B operating cost but what are they going to do with it?

That's $1B that could be used to offer product and production bounties to medical device and biotech companies.

I have two small businesses that are on track to get killed by this thing. Am working on layoff plans right now and trying to structure credit facilities (futile, credit markets are carnage).

Dems are out of touch. It just appears to be madness. I wish we could make every politician have to start and run a business for a month and realize a) it's very hard and b) employers aren't evil.

You do know that $500B >> $1B. BTW, people do work at these locations. The $500B will just be handed out to friend and grifters! I think you need a reality check on who is out of touch. In addition, how much of that $500B will go to build a wall? or a golf course?
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

95bears said:

dimitrig said:

that makes it right?
That makes it politics.

They will negotiate a bill and come up with a compromise. Unlike a lot of other stuff that gets stonewalled, both sides actually do have a lot of incentive to pass this thing.
Politics is saying look at the $35,000,000 for JFK center and don't look at the $500,000,000,000 for my bestest buddies. Does anyone think that any of the $500,000,000,000 is going to sources that people will be unhappy with?
sycasey
OaktownBear said:

sycasey said:

95bears said:

dimitrig said:

that makes it right?
That makes it politics.

Politics is saying look at the $35,000,000 for JFK center and don't look at the $500,000,000,000 for my bestest buddies. Does anyone think that any of the $500,000,000,000 is going to sources that people will be unhappy with?
Also this.
95bears
Here is what I observed:

• Many posters here are encouraging of elected representatives wasting time on political vengeance during a generational emergency because hey, politics
  • $1 Billion is not a lot of money
  • Virtually everyone that reflexively wanted to argue chose the $35M lowest pork item and totally ignored the $600M for arts or the massive IRS and NASA figures
  • There is no detail out whatsoever about the $500B other than vague references to liquidity, yet because some headlines called it a slush fund, ergo it must be. It could be a slush fund, I don't know.

BearForce2
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

Dems continue to block stimulus. From CNN (not Fox):Dems block stimulus
I see that the repubs want to socialize the losses of large corporations again.
I see Democrats forgot the $500 billion healthcare package for illegals. Oh but the debates were a long time ago, they didn't mean it and $4.99 to clean the poop off the streets of SF.

sycasey
95bears said:

Here is what I observed:

• Many posters here are encouraging of elected representatives wasting time on political vengeance during a generational emergency because hey, politics
  • Virtually everyone that reflexively wanted to argue chose the $35M lowest pork item and totally ignored the $600M for arts or the massive IRS and NASA figures
  • There is no detail out whatsoever about the $500B other than vague references to liquidity, yet because some headlines called it a slush fund, ergo it must be. It could be a slush fund, I don't know.

This is not a serious response.

However, it appears the Senate has reached a compromise deal as I predicted they would.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-stimulus-package-2-trillion-senate-white-house/
BearNIt
Professor Harold Hill said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

They are objecting to the $500 billion unregulated corporate slush fund. Why can't cons pass a bill to help the working class without filling it with corporate pork for their oligarch masters?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!
Can't you have a single discussion without getting the claws out? Why are you so thin-skinned?
Yeah, sure, your sarcastic title about Democrats lacking compassion for the working man was perfectly civil.

Give me a break.
Evidently everything was a "go" until Pelosi came back from her vacation. The article is from CNN.

Quote:

1. Corporate pay statistics by race and race statistics for all corporate boards at companies receiving assistance

3. Required early voting

6. For companies accepting assistance, 1/3 of board members must be chosen by workers

As liberals, many of you probably like these ideas but they have no business being crammed into this desperately needed aid bill. It's pure, bull*&%* shameless politics, trying to take advantage of a crisis to help them gain further political strength.

We are talking about a Senate bill. Pelosi can't "cram" anything into that. Her House can draft its own bill, though. Is that what you mean?
Yes, Pelosi now has her own bill, but from the stuff crammed into it, it seems it has AOC's fingerprints all over it.
Trump lets his kids and their spouses establish policy for the United States of America. Between the discussed parties 2 were elected by their constituents and the others were gifted their jobs by daddy.
BearlyCareAnymore
sycasey said:

95bears said:

Here is what I observed:

However, it appears the Senate has reached a compromise deal as I predicted they would.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-stimulus-package-2-trillion-senate-white-house/
This whole thread was a non-issue. If the government is going to spend $2,000,000,000,000, I think Congress taking a few days to haggle over where the money is going is not only fair but is minimum due diligence for both parties.
heartofthebear
LMK5 said:

Dems were sold down the river during the last stimulus in 2008 and 2009 when wall street bailouts did not get to main street. It's not going to happen again, dude.

If industry bailouts are so important, make it a separate bill so that it does not hold working people hostage in the meantime. It takes a special kind of A**hole (yes I'm talking about you Witch McConnell) to do this to America so that you can act like the other party is the problem.

The guy needs tons of therapy to heal whatever childhood trauma he had.
Yogi02
sycasey said:

95bears said:

Here is what I observed:

Now the question is what's hiding in the weeds on this one? They never tell you about the pork directly.
LMK5
heartofthebear said:

LMK5 said:

Dems were sold down the river during the last stimulus in 2008 and 2009 when wall street bailouts did not get to main street. It's not going to happen again, dude.

If industry bailouts are so important, make it a separate bill so that it does not hold working people hostage in the meantime. It takes a special kind of A**hole (yes I'm talking about you Witch McConnell) to do this to America so that you can act like the other party is the problem.

The guy needs tons of therapy to heal whatever childhood trauma he had.
Why do you say the bailouts didn't hit Main Street? Weren't unemployment benefits extended for a year or even more? Is keeping the banks, the auto companies, the airlines, and the many hundreds of thousands of Main Street workers employed (and their pensions and 401(k)s intact) not bailing out Main Street?

Would it be better to let the companies die and instead send a 30k check to every "Main Streeter" as defined by God-knows-who? After that is spent, what to do next? Seems to me it's much better to preserve one's livelihood so they can live to fight another day. It's the teach him to fish rather than give him a fish line of thinking.
AunBear89
So, I'd love to see you and the rest of the RWNJ crowd defend the corporate welfare package approved by Senate. Toothless limitations on how corporations spend their gifts from Uncle Donnie's slush fund. Look for huge stock buybacks , executive bonuses, big dividends, and very little trickle down to the working stiff. Joe Lunchpail can expect layoffs.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
GBear4Life
BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

Trump lets his kids and their spouses establish policy for the United States of America. Between the discussed parties 2 were elected by their constituents and the others were gifted their jobs by daddy.
Parents appointing their offspring to positions within their company and administration? How many millions of people do this
GBear4Life
What's in the bill that is unfair to main st? Other than the $25M to JFK Center
golden sloth
GBear4Life said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

Parents appointing their offspring to positions within their company and administration? How many millions of people do this

If it is a private business and someone wants to appoint their child CEO, be my guest, it's their company they can do as they please (though I acknowledge it may suck for someone more qualified getting passed over).

If it is a government position, this should not be allowed. That position should be filled by whomever is best qualified to meet the needs of the public.
GBear4Life
golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

If it is a private business and someone wants to appoint their child CEO, be my guest, it's their company they can do as they please (though I acknowledge it may suck for someone more qualified getting passed over).

If it is a government position, this should not be allowed. That position should be filled by whomever is best qualified to meet the needs of the public.
Who makes that call of who is most qualified? Do governments not hire based on variables other than that?
golden sloth
GBear4Life said:

golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

Who makes that call of who is most qualified? Do governments not hire based on variables other than that?

Do you really think Jared Kushner was the most qualified person to broker a peace deal in the middle east?
NYCGOBEARS
golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

Do you really think Jared Kushner was the most qualified person to broker a peace deal in the middle east?

... or lead the Coronavirus team?
dimitrig
NYCGOBEARS said:

golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

... or make me a grilled cheese sandwich?
sycasey
golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

BearNIt said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

bearlyamazing said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

AunBear89 said:

Why are you a liar?

Oh yeah -IOIYAR!

Give me a break.

Quote:

3. Required early voting

I'm trying to think, has a President ever appointed his children (or their spouses) to high-ranking government positions like Trump has?

The closest thing I can think of is JFK appointing his brother, but RFK was actually well qualified for the position.
dimitrig
dimitrig said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

I bet Ivanka makes a good one, though. She probably cuts the crusts off for him.
NYCGOBEARS
dimitrig said:

dimitrig said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

golden sloth said:

GBear4Life said:

I bet Ivanka makes a good one, though. She probably cuts the crusts off for him.

Ivanka is a human grilled cheese sandwich.
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearChemist
Funny that GB4L never come back to this thread.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.