White guy telling blacks they're not black

25,822 Views | 325 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Krugman Is A Moron
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

I will also say this: yes, it is possible for people to change their political orientation. Usually it either happens gradually over time (like maybe the liberal positions you once held in your youth come to be seen as conservative several decades later), or some major event is a shock to the system and causes a realignment (like liberal comedians/entertainers who flipped after 9/11, or Republicans who left the party because of Trump). Or sometimes you're someone who already held some views that were contrary to the party you were originally with, like Democrats who were pro-life or Republicans with civil libertarian tendencies, and those views started looming larger over time and you flip. Very often the people who make a more credible flip are doing so while taking a big chance that their old career will be harmed by the change (becoming a conservative in Hollywood, or leaving behind a lucrative political consultant career for an uncertain future as a NeverTrumper).

Candace Owens' turn strains credulity, to my mind. She pulled a complete 180 on almost every major political issue, seemingly within the span of a few months. When she did so she went from someone running a failing social-justice blog that couldn't reach its Kickstarter goals to one of the major stars of conservative media. There doesn't seem to be any obvious catalyst for such a shift to happen in that time, other than that she's doing it for personal gain. Can I prove this with 100% certainty? Of course not. But that kind of rapid turnaround looks very fishy to me.

Maybe, so what were her positions when she was a Democrat?
GBear4Life
You'll notice that the resident Leftists on the wrong side of the abortion debate (or on the wrong side of anything) will spend more time trying to bring down a person or group that espouses the perspective they disagree with, especially on flimsy assumptions about their character, than they do making sound arguments against it the actual matter at hand.

In case you were wondering, that's by design.
BearForce2
GBear4Life said:

You'll notice that the resident Leftists on the wrong side of the abortion debate (or on the wrong side of anything) will spend more time trying to bring down a person or group that espouses the perspective they disagree with, especially on flimsy assumptions about their character, than they do making sound arguments against it the actual matter at hand.

In case you were wondering, that's by design.
I understand, plus, an outspoken black conservative female is a like a unicorn to the lefties, a little different for them to deal with.

sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I will also say this: yes, it is possible for people to change their political orientation. Usually it either happens gradually over time (like maybe the liberal positions you once held in your youth come to be seen as conservative several decades later), or some major event is a shock to the system and causes a realignment (like liberal comedians/entertainers who flipped after 9/11, or Republicans who left the party because of Trump). Or sometimes you're someone who already held some views that were contrary to the party you were originally with, like Democrats who were pro-life or Republicans with civil libertarian tendencies, and those views started looming larger over time and you flip. Very often the people who make a more credible flip are doing so while taking a big chance that their old career will be harmed by the change (becoming a conservative in Hollywood, or leaving behind a lucrative political consultant career for an uncertain future as a NeverTrumper).

Candace Owens' turn strains credulity, to my mind. She pulled a complete 180 on almost every major political issue, seemingly within the span of a few months. When she did so she went from someone running a failing social-justice blog that couldn't reach its Kickstarter goals to one of the major stars of conservative media. There doesn't seem to be any obvious catalyst for such a shift to happen in that time, other than that she's doing it for personal gain. Can I prove this with 100% certainty? Of course not. But that kind of rapid turnaround looks very fishy to me.

Dude, it's all there in the Twitter thread I posted.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

That's it? A single tweet about abortion? I thought there was treasure trove of goodies hiding somewhere. You said every major political issue.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

That's it? A single tweet about abortion? I thought there was treasure trove of goodies hiding somewhere. You said every major political issue.

Ah, you don't know how Twitter works. Click on the post and open in another window. Then scroll down.
AunBear89
He doesn't know how a lot of things work. He's not too bright. He's a Trumpkin.
sycasey
AunBear89 said:

He doesn't know how a lot of things work. He's not too bright. He's a Trumpkin.

I have noticed a distinct lack of media literacy in many of our more belligerent right-wingers here.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Ah, you don't know how Twitter works. Click on the post and open in another window. Then scroll down.
Once again, a single tweet about abortion, a blurb about the constitution. So what were these major political issues you were referring to?
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Once again, a single tweet about abortion, a blurb about the constitution. So what were these major political issues you were referring to?
Here's another article laying out some of her old website's claims just months before she "came out" as a conservative on YouTube.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/the-newest-star-of-the-trump-movement-ran-a-trump-bashing

She was writing articles directly mocking Trump and the Republican Party during the 2016 campaign before shuttering this website and becoming a conservative pundit. That is what I call a complete 180.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Here's another article laying out some of her old website's claims just months before she "came out" as a conservative on YouTube.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/the-newest-star-of-the-trump-movement-ran-a-trump-bashing

She was writing articles directly mocking Trump and the Republican Party during the 2016 campaign before shuttering this website and becoming a conservative pundit. That is what I call a complete 180.

Her company had a group of college students as writers bashing Trump. I don't see any political articles written by Candace Owens herself.

Quote:

And most of Owens' writing for Degree180 was not political. Much of it was personal, including essays about her struggle with anorexia, inspirational exhortations,

This is a far cry from "pulling a complete 180 on every major political issue."
calbear93
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Her company had a group of college students as writers bashing Trump. I don't see any political articles written by Candace Owens herself.

Quote:

And most of Owens' writing for Degree180 was not political. Much of it was personal, including essays about her struggle with anorexia, inspirational exhortations,

I would argue that I don't really care. Her position and arguments stand or fall based on merit.

And I am completely willing to allow that she, like others, can change their views. I was a poor tree hugging environmentalist and thought marxism was a superior economic and humane philosophy before attending Berkeley and was a passionate pro choice advocate. Then I grew up and became responsible for people other than myself.
sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

A+ cherry-picking by you. Well done.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

I would argue that I don't really care. Her position and arguments stand or fall based on merit.

And I am completely willing to allow that she, like others, can change their views. I was a tree hugging environmentalist and thought marxism was a superior economic and humane philosophy before attending Berkeley and was a passionate pro choice advocate. Then I grew up.
Did you change your views all within the span of 6 months?
calbear93
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

And I am completely willing to allow that she, like others, can change their views. I was a tree hugging environmentalist and thought marxism was a superior economic and humane philosophy before attending Berkeley and was a passionate pro choice advocate. Then I grew up.
Well, no on economic philosophy but yes on abortion. And Berkeley definitely made me more conservative (or liberal on freedom of speech).
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

A+ cherry-picking by you. Well done.

You had one abortion tweet and a bunch of college student writers, one of them wrote a Trump has a small ***** article. You said it was all there in the Twitter thread but it appears you were making up shat.

BearForce2
calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

And I am completely willing to allow that she, like others, can change their views. I was a poor tree hugging environmentalist and thought marxism was a superior economic and humane philosophy before attending Berkeley and was a passionate pro choice advocate. Then I grew up and became responsible for people other than myself.

I don't really care either. But when Sycasey posted this below, I was curious and gave him the benefit of the doubt but realized he has no basis.

Quote:

I'd always assumed she was just cynically running a grift on conservatives to further her career, but thanks for providing the evidence here.

BearForce2
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

Do you know what her political views were within a span of 6 months?
sycasey
Obviously I'm not going to get anywhere here. I have laid out my case. You are free to continue listening to Candace Owens if you like. And I to return to ignoring her.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

Obviously I'm not going to get anywhere here. I have laid out my case. You are free to continue listening to Candace Owens if you like. And I to return to ignoring her.
No need to hide behind twitter links or links to other websites. Simply quote text from your resources so we can understand what you're referring to and what your case is.

sycasey
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

No need to hide behind twitter links or links to other websites. Simply quote text from your resources so we can understand what you're referring to and what your case is.
I suspect that would not do any further good. You guys like Owens because she tells you what you want to hear. I get it, I'm sure I've done that on my side of the aisle before. I'm just telling you that I smell a rat with Owens in a way I don't with other conservative pundits.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I suspect that would not do any further good. You guys like Owens because she tells you what you want to hear. I get it, I'm sure I've done that on my side of the aisle before. I'm just telling you that I smell a rat with Owens in a way I don't with other conservative pundits.
You have nothing. You don't smell a rat, you're smelling the stench of your own fabrication.
calbear93
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I don't necessarily like her or agree with her on certain things, especially her vilification of George Floyd. But I respect her ability to think for herself without feeling like she needs to adopt certain views because of her skin color. We don't do that with any other pundits, and I don't try to smell a rat with Shapiro, Lemon, Maddow, Coulter or others. When I disagree, I disagree. It seems like the left has such vitrol against conservatives who happen to be black, including Carson, Thomas, and Owens. Attack her views and not her character. I am sure that if we dug deep into Maddow, Lemon, and Shapiro, we will find things we can use to attack their character. But we limit our discussion to the merits of their argument. That is my only interest in this argument. I actually haven't even paid that much attention to her other than her take on racism from the left and her quite frankly distasteful take on Floyd.
sycasey
calbear93 said:

It seems like the left has such vitrol against conservatives who happen to be black, including Carson, Thomas, and Owens.
I don't think Carson or Thomas have given me any reason to believe they are faking it. I think Owens is faking it.

I can't prove that 100% beyond a reasonable doubt, but I've seen enough to make that my default assumption.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

It seems like the left has such vitrol against conservatives who happen to be black, including Carson, Thomas, and Owens.
I don't think Carson or Thomas have given me any reason to believe they are faking it. I think Owens is faking it.

I can't prove that 100% beyond a reasonable doubt, but I've seen enough to make that my default assumption.
We never got close to "100% beyond a reasonable doubt", we're stuck at 0% certain.

BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I don't necessarily like her or agree with her on certain things, especially her vilification of George Floyd. But I respect her ability to think for herself without feeling like she needs to adopt certain views because of her skin color. We don't do that with any other pundits, and I don't try to smell a rat with Shapiro, Lemon, Maddow, Coulter or others. When I disagree, I disagree. It seems like the left has such vitrol against conservatives who happen to be black, including Carson, Thomas, and Owens. Attack her views and not her character. I am sure that if we dug deep into Maddow, Lemon, and Shapiro, we will find things we can use to attack their character. But we limit our discussion to the merits of their argument. That is my only interest in this argument. I actually haven't even paid that much attention to her other than her take on racism from the left and her quite frankly distasteful take on Floyd.
I certainly have no vitriol for someone who takes conservatives for a ride and enriches herself at their expense.
calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I certainly have no vitriol for someone who takes conservatives for a ride and enriches herself at their expense.
Well, good. She certainly has the right to earn a living being insincere just as much as Maddow and Lemon do.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Quote:

Her article:

Quote:

Degree180 launched a full-scale investigation into the bat-****-crazy antics of the Republican Tea Party and the results are not-so-shocking to say the least:

Yes, we can officially confirm that our beloved Republican Tea Party is being led by the Mad Hatter and us millennials have been thrust into their wonderland.

The good news is, they will eventually die off (peacefully in their sleep, we hope), and then we can get right on with the OBVIOUS social change that needs to happen, IMMEDIATELY.

So what are the three things we can expect to happen when that last tea-party coffin is sealed?
1.THE GAY-TRANSGENDERED-BI-STRAIGHT-ANYTHING-ELSE CONVERSATION WILL BE INSTANTLY OVER, DELETED, DONE.

Because us millennials literally never even gave a **** about this. I actually remember being in 3rd grade and piecing together in my head that one of my guy friends was homosexual. I didn't give a **** then, I don't give a **** now, and the fact that he actually had to give a **** until this year about being himself is the most ridiculously pathetic and stupid thing that our government has inflicted upon a group of people for being themselves, since slavery. IT IS NOT MY BUSINESS WHO SOMEBODY ELSE WANTS TO HAVE SEX WITH OR LOVE. NOT YOURS EITHER, TEA-PARTY PEEPS. I ACTUALLY FIND IT CREEPY THAT YOU HAVE CARED SO MUCH AND FOR SO LONG ABOUT SOMEBODY ELSE'S SEX LIFE.

2. PEOPLE WILL INSTANTLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE PRESIDENT'S ***** SHOULD NEVER BE A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION. LIKE, EVER.

Or any other political office-holder for that matter. Frankly, me and my millennial peers did not exactly understand why it was such a big deal that Bill Clinton got a blow job in his office. I don't care who my doctor, banker, grocery-bagger, or any other person that I may come across in my daily life is having sex with AS LONG AS THEY DO THEIR ****ING JOBS. All of that talk about "but his morals" gets you nothing but a mandatory STFU from me. Unless you are Hilary Clinton, it was not and will never be your business, and if a person I worked for ever asked me about my sex life, I'd probably LIE to them too. When he does something ILLEGAL (See definition: contrary to, or forbidden by law), then please, give us a call. In the meantime let's talk about REAL issues. Ones that affect the world, not one man's marriage. I can think of about a thousand we can choose from.

3. WOMEN'S REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS AND ISSUES WILL NO LONGER BE A TOPIC OF PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE.
Call me weird but personally, when it comes to my ovaries, I prefer to speak to my gynecologist. I don't think the LEADERS OF THE FREE WORLD, should have to be an expert on the issue, nor should they ever publicly voice their opinions. Yes, I understand that it was recently confirmed that the republicans are actually stuck in the 1950's, and the leading scientists of the world are doing everything in their power to correct the time warp, but like, COME ON!! Also, when I consider the hot button topic of abortion, I'd like to do so with, I don't know maybe my ****ing partnerthe one who impregnates me? Maybe even my best friend? My mother? Certainly NOT my *********president so STOP asking that redundant, inappropriate question during presidential debates.

CLEARLY the Mad Hatter has been aggressively pushing an agenda of genitals over the last few decades, for which, we salute you tea-partiers for fighting the good fight, but really... we are DONE with this, and demanding an end to this ridiculousness, NOW.

Hey. Keep paying the woman if you want. I don't care. Norma needed the money too.
BearlyCareAnymore
calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Well, good. She certainly has the right to earn a living being insincere just as much as Maddow and Lemon do.
Are you trying to claim that Maddow is a conservative posing as liberal for money? I'd like to see that argument.

I'm sorry, but this is sounding like my argument with bearlyamazing. He actually argued that the fact that arguments are put forth by a Russian propaganda machine is irrelevant to whether they have merit.

Yes, if someone is not making a genuine argument that is relevant. If they don't believe the argument but are making it for some other purpose that drastically undercuts their argument.

Frankly, I've barely heard of Candace Owens. Don't care a lick about her. But she is obviously selling her voice to the highest bidder. Which makes me care even less. She's definitely not the only one who does that, but I struggle with respecting her abiity to think for herself when she takes opposite view points. What that tells me is she is not thinking for herself. She is parroting the highest bidder. Go for it if it makes you rich. Let's just say if tomorrow she is back on the liberal party line, I won't be citing her to support my arguments.

calbear93
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Are you trying to claim that Maddow is a conservative posing as liberal for money? I'd like to see that argument.

I'm sorry, but this is sounding like my argument with bearlyamazing. He actually argued that the fact that arguments are put forth by a Russian propaganda machine is irrelevant to whether they have merit.

Yes, if someone is not making a genuine argument that is relevant. If they don't believe the argument but are making it for some other purpose that drastically undercuts their argument.

Frankly, I've barely heard of Candace Owens. Don't care a lick about her. But she is obviously selling her voice to the highest bidder. Which makes me care even less. She's definitely not the only one who does that, but I struggle with respecting her abiity to think for herself when she takes opposite view points. What that tells me is she is not thinking for herself. She is parroting the highest bidder. Go for it if it makes you rich. Let's just say if tomorrow she is back on the liberal party line, I won't be citing her to support my arguments.

Not making that argument at all. And I don't think you actually thought I was making that argument. I think you are smarter than that.

I am arguing EXACTLY what I wrote.

I am arguing that Maddow enriches herself by being insincere. I am arguing that she inflames issues that she probably does not even believes to work up the audience. I don't believe Lemon believes the silliness that comes out of his mouth (after saying that silence is not enough, do you actually think he believes what he and Hill said about anti-semitism - that there are nuances to anti-semitism - that calling out the anti-semitism at this point when sprouted by pro-BLM athletes or entertainers weakens the BLM movement - therefore undercutting people like Desean and Ice Cube only helps the right...say, what?). Neither does Coulter. Neither does Hannity (I don't know if he even understands what he argues). Well, I think Shapiro actually believes what he says and is often very logical, but the other pundits on both sides don't seem genuine to me. They say what they say to play up to the audience and make money off the tribalism.

I honestly don't care whether Maddow or Lemon are conservative, liberal, or independent. They are pundits who play up to the audience to make money. So you writing what you wrote about Owens doesn't mean anything to me. She is no more hero or villain than Maddow or Lemon or Hannity.

I honestly don't give a crap about who she is. I don't even care for positions other than thinking it is funny trapping white liberals who struggle arguing about racism with someone who is black. if she has a good point, I will listen. If she does not, I will dismiss it.

sycasey
OaktownBear said:

Frankly, I've barely heard of Candace Owens. Don't care a lick about her. But she is obviously selling her voice to the highest bidder. Which makes me care even less. She's definitely not the only one who does that, but I struggle with respecting her abiity to think for herself when she takes opposite view points. What that tells me is she is not thinking for herself. She is parroting the highest bidder.

I think the first time I actually listened to Candace Owens speak it was because someone here posted a video of her "owning" Ted Lieu in some Congressional testimony. Only my impression was that she had not owned anyone and seemed to just be reciting conservative talking points off a sheet she printed out before the hearing.

Let's just say everything I've learned about her since then has only reinforced that original impression.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I suspect that would not do any further good. You guys like Owens because she tells you what you want to hear. I get it, I'm sure I've done that on my side of the aisle before.
Before, currently, will be doing in the future....
Krugman Is A Moron
OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

OaktownBear said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

The only reason anybody hears of these people is conservatives are too dumb to be able to put forth their own arguments, so they require proxies to "own" liberals to make them feel vicariously smart.
sycasey
Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

I suspect that would not do any further good. You guys like Owens because she tells you what you want to hear. I get it, I'm sure I've done that on my side of the aisle before.
And much like you do with everything Krystal Ball's show puts out.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

Matthew Patel said:

sycasey said:

BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

And much like you do with everything Krystal Ball's show puts out.
Well, on her show, I get opinions from both a liberal and a conservative, so I get a fairly full picture of any issue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.