COVID disappears Nov 4th?

120,534 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
oski003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearister said:

oski003 said:

bearister said:

California is 54% vaccinated.
South Dakota is 48% vaccinated.

Well, one possibility is that the unvaxxed in SD act more irresponsibly since they are the only state in dark brown. It will get worse as effects of Sturgis MR incubate. Your theory?

It is a percent change. Maybe they are just starting to see a lot of Delta since they are kind of remote, just like Washington. Irresponsible behavior probably plays a part, but I wouldn't simplify too much from the ivory tower.
Unit2Sucks
SD is about the size of SF but with 4x as many deaths. It has about 1.5x as many deaths as the state of California per capita but it's a small state so it isn't as bad as some of the larger irresponsible states.

If I recall correctly, the worst thing about Sturgis last year is that it spread the pain throughout the upper midwest rather than just punishing SD.
bearister
oski003 said:

bearister said:

oski003 said:

bearister said:

California is 54% vaccinated.
South Dakota is 48% vaccinated.

Well, one possibility is that the unvaxxed in SD act more irresponsibly since they are the only state in dark brown. It will get worse as effects of Sturgis MR incubate. Your theory?

It is a percent change. Maybe they are just starting to see a lot of Delta since they are kind of remote, just like Washington. Irresponsible behavior probably plays a part, but I wouldn't simplify too much from the ivory tower.

Why don't you explain how my view of how the Red States are handling the pandemic is from an "Ivory Tower" perspective. I have no problem with ignorant people pursuing their ignorance to the fullest until:

1. It results in them installing Koko the Monkey in the Oval; and

2. Their reluctance to follow the science and get vaxxed, socially distance and wear masks is prolonging the pandemic indefinitely and breaking the healthcare systems in their states.

Does it make me an elitist to feel zero obligation to try to understand "where they are coming from?"
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
Unit2Sucks said:

SD is about the size of SF but with 4x as many deaths. It has about 1.5x as many deaths as the state of California per capita but it's a small state so it isn't as bad as some of the larger irresponsible states.

If I recall correctly, the worst thing about Sturgis last year is that it spread the pain throughout the upper midwest rather than just punishing SD.

Indeed, the worst possible thing in a pandemic is a bunch of people coming from all over, spending a week together breathing each others' breath, then all going back home... and taking the virus with them.

And most of those people being overweight and unvaxxed sure isn't going to help their chances.
bearister
Unit2Sucks
bearister said:

This should kill the narrative that minorities are the problem with vaccination. White folks are the lowest vaccinated group by a decent margin.

The data doesn't have the granularity to show this, but I believe it understates the true vaccination problem with white people because white people are more highly represented than other ethnic groups in the older age cohorts, which cohorts are more highly vaccinated.

I would imagine that if you look at the 35-49 demographic, the delta between white people and minorities is more pronounced. The chart below shows this well (source). As you can see, 36% of whites were 54+ vs 25% for african americans and 19% for latinos (from 2018). If someone is aware of a vaccine breakdown that shows results by age cohort and ethnicity, I would love to see it.

bearister
Hospitals are running out of ICU beds as severe COVID cases soar - Axios

https://www.axios.com/covid-hospitals-icu-beds-vaccines-sick-pandemic-48996586-e2fd-4180-af21-df8a3228e6f4.html
okaydo
bearister
Living with the coronavirus will likely never be risk-free, even for the vaccinated - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccines-risk-infection-0435f1a3-7f87-41d8-be36-b84ee92edcd9.html

Coronavirus cases are soaring, especially in the South - Axios

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-cases-infections-vaccines-hospital-11d44b25-ed17-40cd-b8cf-ca9c4eb582f5.html
bearister
How contagious is the Delta variant of Covid-19? See how coronavirus can spread through a population, and how countries flatten the curve

https://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/ng-interactive/2021/sep/03/how-contagious-delta-variant-covid-19-r0-r-factor-value-number-explainer-see-how-coronavirus-spread-infectious-flatten-the-curve?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
B.A. Bearacus
bearister
B.A. Bearacus said:

tRump's base is self shrinking.

B.A. Bearacus

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.