COVID disappears Nov 4th?

120,594 Views | 1376 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by B.A. Bearacus
Bobodeluxe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
smh
booth bait, surely, shared anyways because it was news to me..
BearChemist
smh said:

booth bait, surely, shared anyways because it was news to me..

Remember some folks would copy and paste WH's achievement list on this board?
Bear With Me
OaktownBear said:

blungld said:

Like Trump himself, it has become a pattern with right media and posters to pronounce antagonistic one-liners that either just dissipate with time or become replaced by the next talking point when the first is shown to be either a lie or falsehood. Just move onto the next smug signal of tribalism without ever acknowledging they were wrong. No introspection about why their information sources are incorrect so often or why they repeat inaccurate information.

So, I'd like to revisit one of these mantras and NOT have it just slip away. For the past six months many posters here backed the president's claim that COVID was no worse than the flu, was essentially a hoax or political act by Dems to take down the president, and the specific proof of this was that COVID would disappear on Nov 4th.

Now that we are close to that date, who is willing to clearly make that assertion now and then return to this thread after the election and say either "I told you so" or "I was wrong"?

I will go one better. I will say on record that COVID will not disappear on Nov 4th, that it will get worse after Nov 4th, that the lame duck Trump will do very little to combat the virus, and that the transitional Congress and President-elect will start to take clear and decisive action at the Federal level to help flatten the curve of this non-hoax worse than the flu disease. Oh, and the economy and our "freedoms" will take a temporary hit as we Americans finally act responsibly with a national coordinated response owing to having to clean up Trump's mess and Biden will be attacked for doing the right and necessary short term things that will lead us to faster recovery long term. Grown ups are about to be in charge again, and maybe we will all take some pride in civic responsibility and caring for one another?
I'll pose an additional question. With red states getting slammed with new cases, will political opposition to wearing masks go down on November 4?
What political opposition?
BearlyCareAnymore
Bear With Me said:

OaktownBear said:

blungld said:

Like Trump himself, it has become a pattern with right media and posters to pronounce antagonistic one-liners that either just dissipate with time or become replaced by the next talking point when the first is shown to be either a lie or falsehood. Just move onto the next smug signal of tribalism without ever acknowledging they were wrong. No introspection about why their information sources are incorrect so often or why they repeat inaccurate information.

So, I'd like to revisit one of these mantras and NOT have it just slip away. For the past six months many posters here backed the president's claim that COVID was no worse than the flu, was essentially a hoax or political act by Dems to take down the president, and the specific proof of this was that COVID would disappear on Nov 4th.

Now that we are close to that date, who is willing to clearly make that assertion now and then return to this thread after the election and say either "I told you so" or "I was wrong"?

I will go one better. I will say on record that COVID will not disappear on Nov 4th, that it will get worse after Nov 4th, that the lame duck Trump will do very little to combat the virus, and that the transitional Congress and President-elect will start to take clear and decisive action at the Federal level to help flatten the curve of this non-hoax worse than the flu disease. Oh, and the economy and our "freedoms" will take a temporary hit as we Americans finally act responsibly with a national coordinated response owing to having to clean up Trump's mess and Biden will be attacked for doing the right and necessary short term things that will lead us to faster recovery long term. Grown ups are about to be in charge again, and maybe we will all take some pride in civic responsibility and caring for one another?
I'll pose an additional question. With red states getting slammed with new cases, will political opposition to wearing masks go down on November 4?
Exactly.
Bear With Me
OaktownBear said:

Bear With Me said:

OaktownBear said:

blungld said:

Exactly.
That's what I figured.
Unit2Sucks
1/3 of a million infected and 4k dead since Tuesday. Sure we're rounding the corner and it will be gone on Tuesday. I get that there are a bunch of Trump dead enders, but are people really that obtuse to what is happening out there?
bearister
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearNIt
80,000 new cases in the last 24 hours which is another new record. With more positive cases comes more hospitalizations which leads to more deaths. 1000 Americans died yesterday and Captain Catastrophe says we are rounding the corner, BULLSHYTE!

I have been tested twice and luckily I have been negative both times. Being tested takes a toll on you and your family as you wait for your results.
smh
Unit2Sucks said:

1/3 of a million infected and 4k dead since Tuesday. Sure we're rounding the corner and it will be gone on Tuesday. I get that there are a bunch of Trump dead enders, but are people really that obtuse to what is happening out there?
Title: Idaho has deadliest day yet and reports second-most COVID-19 cases in single day
October 29, 2020
https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/coronavirus/article246815462.html
LMK5
Cases up in America and Europe--simultaneously. Figure that one out. Cases up in ... wait for it ... Iceland! Masks don't seem to be as effective as some thought. If they were, why would we have more daily cases than way back in the pre-mask-wearing days? Don't say it's due to more testing because when Trump says that it gets shot down by the experts.

The virus will continue to do what it wants: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/coronavirus-strain-from-spain-accounts-for-most-uk-cases-study
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
AunBear89
Because dipshyte morons like you refuse to wear masks, or wear them on your chin. Masks work when everyone wears one correctly, practices social distancing, and washes their hands thoroughly and regularly. Are YOU doing any of that?
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
smh
AunBear89 said:

Because dipshyte morons like you refuse to wear masks, or wear them on your chin. Masks work when everyone wears one correctly, practices social distancing, and washes their hands thoroughly and regularly. Are YOU doing any of that?
peer pressure sucks, big time {copyright BB}

BearlyCareAnymore
LMK5 said:

Cases up in America and Europe--simultaneously. Figure that one out. Cases up in ... wait for it ... Iceland! Masks don't seem to be as effective as some thought. If they were, why would we have more daily cases than way back in the pre-mask-wearing days? Don't say it's due to more testing because when Trump says that it gets shot down by the experts.

The virus will continue to do what it wants: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/30/coronavirus-strain-from-spain-accounts-for-most-uk-cases-study
I love it when people ask a question, give the answer, and then say you can't use that answer.

C'mon man. I've seen your posting. You are a lot smarter than this.

The science behind mask wearing has been clear since April.

Cases have always been a problematic number because of the difference in detecting those cases. We know we had a lot more cases in March, April and May than we were finding because back then you pretty much only got a test if you were in the hospital.

Yes, the numbers are up because testing is up. Your "Don't say.." comment is deliberately obtuse.

1. No one ever took issue with Trump's premise that when you test more you find more cases. They took major issue with the fact that his conclusion from that was that you should test less so your numbers don't look as bad. That doesn't help our ability to respond. It hurts it. If the point is trying to make Trump look better, testing less may do that. If the point is trying to save lives, it most certainly won't.

2. The increase in testing has been used by some to completely explain the entire increase in cases. It does not do that. It does explain a good chunk of it. It does not explain all of it, and the death rates that followed demonstrated that.

Deaths is the key indicator. It lags, but it is going up significantly in Europe and is starting to rise again here. Of course since ours never went down to nearly the levels in Europe, we are still "winning".

Europe has been a lot more lax as their months with low numbers went on. They are now trying to bring back measures to halt the spread.

Wearing masks is an effing easy thing to do and it is an extremely obvious, successful method to slow transmission of the virus. It doesn't eliminate transmission.

Making this a political issue is just wrong.
bearister
BearNIt said:

80,000 new cases in the last 24 hours which is another new record. With more positive cases comes more hospitalizations which leads to more deaths. 1000 Americans died yesterday and Captain Catastrophe says we are rounding the corner, BULLSHYTE!

I have been tested twice and luckily I have been negative both times. Being tested takes a toll on you and your family as you wait for your results.

....but Jared in an interview taped by Bob Woodward said there would be some more "pain" but at least tRump reached a "negotiated settlement" with the doctors when he "got our country back" from them.

Kushner in April touted Trump 'getting the country back from the doctors'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/28/jared-kushner-trump-doctors-coronavirus-433319

*Kushner, like tRump, views all issues transactionally, like a businessman (albeit a failed one). I bet butter doesn't melt in that vampire's mouth.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

Maybe if your buddy Trump spent half as much time trying to defeat COVID as he does manufacturing dirt on Hunter Biden and forcing federal agencies to use taxpayer dollars to produce Leni Riefensthal-esque campaign propaganda we wouldn't be in such bad shape.

Perhaps Tucker Carlson can cover it on his show once he runs out of material on his experience with the deep state operatives at UPS.
bearister
My Mom told me to never buy anything that a man in a bow tie is selling.

*Although I think so many mothers gave their children that advice that Tucker had to ditch it.
dimitrig
AunBear89 said:

Also, people are out and about a lot more now. Malls are open. Restaurants are open. My employer is talking about bringing back some of the remote workforce (volunteers only) in November. Judging by the traffic on the freeway, lots of other people are back at work. Plus, kids are back in school, too. It's not surprising that cases would be rising right now.

What I find surprising is how many people are still wearing cotton masks when good quality KN95 masks are now in plentiful supply. Also, I carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go (always have) but lots of people don't and they are touching everything (like doorknobs) and then pulling down their masks to, say, eat or even just to readjust them. The mask is less effective if you are covering it in germs from your hands.

I would also think by now a lot more retailers and employers would be doing temperature checks. My own employer asks us to self-certify that we don't have a fever. Visitors do get their temperature checked. I don't understand why they don't just check everyone's temperature. I have been to a couple of stores which were VERY serious about limiting the number of people inside and checking everyone's temperature upon entrance, but that's rare. I would have thought that would be more common by now.

AunBear89
dimitrig said:

AunBear89 said:

Also, people are out and about a lot more now. Malls are open. Restaurants are open. My employer is talking about bringing back some of the remote workforce (volunteers only) in November. Judging by the traffic on the freeway, lots of other people are back at work. Plus, kids are back in school, too. It's not surprising that cases would be rising right now.

What I find surprising is how many people are still wearing cotton masks when good quality KN95 masks are now in plentiful supply. Also, I carry hand sanitizer everywhere I go (always have) but lots of people don't and they are touching everything (like doorknobs) and then pulling down their masks to, say, eat or even just to readjust them. The mask is less effective if you are covering it in germs from your hands.

I would also think by now a lot more retailers and employers would be doing temperature checks. My own employer asks us to self-certify that we don't have a fever. Visitors do get their temperature checked. I don't understand why they don't just check everyone's temperature. I have been to a couple of stores which were VERY serious about limiting the number of people inside and checking everyone's temperature upon entrance, but that's rare. I would have thought that would be more common by now.

The biggest issue with addressing the pandemic has always been how dependent success is upon the efforts of our fellow human beings. Since most humans tend to be selfish and willfully ignorant, this was a recipe for failure. As we are seeing in Europe and elsewhere.

Depending on our fellow citizens to act in a selfless manner, with the best interests of all in mind, was never going to be an easy task. Trump's lies and inaction made it impossible.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
Unit2Sucks
Trump's least dishonest comms director agrees with me. Will wonders never cease.

LMK5
OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

I love it when people ask a question, give the answer, and then say you can't use that answer.

Cases have always been a problematic number because of the difference in detecting those cases. We know we had a lot more cases in March, April and May than we were finding because back then you pretty much only got a test if you were in the hospital.

Yes, the numbers are up because testing is up. Your "Don't say.." comment is deliberately obtuse.

1. No one ever took issue with Trump's premise that when you test more you find more cases. They took major issue with the fact that his conclusion from that was that you should test less so your numbers don't look as bad. That doesn't help our ability to respond. It hurts it. If the point is trying to make Trump look better, testing less may do that. If the point is trying to save lives, it most certainly won't.

2. The increase in testing has been used by some to completely explain the entire increase in cases. It does not do that. It does explain a good chunk of it. It does not explain all of it, and the death rates that followed demonstrated that.

Deaths is the key indicator. It lags, but it is going up significantly in Europe and is starting to rise again here. Of course since ours never went down to nearly the levels in Europe, we are still "winning".

Europe has been a lot more lax as their months with low numbers went on. They are now trying to bring back measures to halt the spread.

Wearing masks is an effing easy thing to do and it is an extremely obvious, successful method to slow transmission of the virus. It doesn't eliminate transmission.

I'm not talking about politics. I'm wearing a mask as we speak. Mask wearing is widespread. For instance, here in California there isn't a facility you can walk in to without wearing a mask, yet, our cases are rising. In the US, the vast majority in our largest population centers are wearing masks, yet those cases are also up. My niece lives in the UK where restrictions are tight, yet, cases are up. How are cases going up in the US and Europe simultaneously? It used to be that a wave hit in one place then made its way to the other.

Mask wearing and social distancing don't seem to be as effective as we'd hoped. These are the same methods used in 1918. I haven't heard any good reason why we'd have the kind of new case numbers we are having along with Europe except for the following article. The virus mutates, then spreads anew: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/30/covid-strain-from-spanish-farm-workers-now-accounts-for-most-uk-cases-13505716/
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

Mask wearing is widespread. For instance, here in California there isn't a facility you can walk in to without wearing a mask, yet, our cases are rising. In the US, the vast majority in our largest population centers are wearing masks, yet those cases are also up. My niece lives in the UK where restrictions are tight, yet, cases are up. How are cases going up in the US and Europe simultaneously? It used to be that a wave hit in one place then made its way to the other.

Mask wearing and social distancing don't seem to be as effective as we'd hoped. These are the same methods used in 1918. I haven't heard any good reason why we'd have the kind of new case numbers we are having along with Europe except for the following article. The virus mutates, then spreads anew: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/30/covid-strain-from-spanish-farm-workers-now-accounts-for-most-uk-cases-13505716/
Case numbers rising in spite of masks IS NOT PROOF that mask wearing is ineffective. No one said that masks could 100% prevent disease spread. To prove your thesis you would have to show that COVID spreads the same way in places where the only variable is masks vs. no masks.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

Case numbers rising in spite of masks IS NOT PROOF that mask wearing is ineffective. No one said that masks could 100% prevent disease spread. To prove your thesis you would have to show that COVID spreads the same way in places where the only variable is masks vs. no masks.

Wearing masks is very effective.

Ask the staff at your local ER if they perform procedures without them - pre-COVID or post-COVID.

Anarchistbear
Europe opened earlier. In a way that was smarter because a lot of riskier activities were outdoors- drinking, eating, etc plus people spent more time outdoors. People also became complacent. Then it became colder and more bars, etc moved indoors as did people where things were riskier. If you are in a bar or club indoors after midnight chances are masks are not what is on your mind. You are likely yelling, laughing, spitting and trying to $uck someone.
bearister

*Javanka's lawsuit would make as much sense as Jerry "I like to watch" Falwell, Jr.'s lawsuit vs Liberty University for defamation.
smh
bearister said:

w/special exception for ageless Dr Who

^ skeptical Companion is sweet Amelia Pond
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

Mask wearing is widespread. For instance, here in California there isn't a facility you can walk in to without wearing a mask, yet, our cases are rising. In the US, the vast majority in our largest population centers are wearing masks, yet those cases are also up. My niece lives in the UK where restrictions are tight, yet, cases are up. How are cases going up in the US and Europe simultaneously? It used to be that a wave hit in one place then made its way to the other.

Obviously the deep state is involved. Why else would the virus be flourishing in states with lower mask compliance?

Here's roughly the top half of the country in deaths per 100k over the last week (source):

BearlyCareAnymore
smh said:

bearister said:

w/special exception for ageless Dr Who

^ skeptical Companion is sweet Amelia Pond
Yeah, but the Doctor can pull off a fez also, so he can do anything.

And actually, remember, Rule #1 is "The Doctor lies", so...

Karen Gillan gets the award for best parlay of obscure adoration by sci-fi geeks into a massive career involving high paying parts that require little acting.

Of course Matt Smith was able to use the notoriety in America from Doctor Who to negotiate a higher salary than the titular queen in The Crown.
BearlyCareAnymore
Anarchistbear said:

Europe opened earlier. In a way that was smarter because a lot of riskier activities were outdoors- drinking, eating, etc plus people spent more time outdoors. People also became complacent. Then it became colder and more bars, etc moved indoors as did people where things were riskier. If you are in a bar or club indoors after midnight chances are masks are not what is on your mind. You are likely yelling, laughing, spitting and trying to $uck someone.
The stupidity of being in a crowded indoor environment pretty much counteracts the effectiveness of wearing a mask in any case.
BearlyCareAnymore
LMK5 said:

OaktownBear said:

LMK5 said:

I'm not talking about politics. I'm wearing a mask as we speak. Mask wearing is widespread. For instance, here in California there isn't a facility you can walk in to without wearing a mask, yet, our cases are rising. In the US, the vast majority in our largest population centers are wearing masks, yet those cases are also up. My niece lives in the UK where restrictions are tight, yet, cases are up. How are cases going up in the US and Europe simultaneously? It used to be that a wave hit in one place then made its way to the other.

Cases are rising slower in California than in most other states and frankly, Northern California is still way below the rest of the country despite having the first known death.

Your argument is like saying seatbelts don't work because people still die in car crashes. Health experts have been saying we were likely to get a second wave in the fall/winter the entire time. There are a lot of possible reasons for it. Some due to the virus. Some due to human behavior (like places that rose during the summer are ungodly hot - forcing people indoors, and places that are rising now are where people spend more time indoors in the fall/winter.)

As somebody else said, it is ridiculous that we need to explain the effectiveness of wearing masks in slowing the spread of illness when it has been proven practice in the medical field for well over a century. You guys would make us scientifically prove the usefulness of the wheel if you thought you could make a political point.

smh
OaktownBear said:

Yeah, but the Doctor can pull off a fez also, so he can do anything.

And actually, remember, Rule #1 is "The Doctor lies", so...

Karen Gillan gets the award for best parlay of obscure adoration by sci-fi geeks into a massive career involving high paying parts that require little acting.

Of course Matt Smith was able to use the notoriety in America from Doctor Who to negotiate a higher salary than the titular queen in The Crown.
woah, good points, surprising legal scholar. as reward here's a peak at KG's nude scene in "Not Another Happy Ending (2013)" nominated Worst British Actress at Palm d'Or..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2LUZMk-3No (adults-only cut/paste url)
muting ~250 handles, turnaround is fair play
Unit2Sucks
Unit2Sucks said:

We are pretty close to 100k new cases today (worldometers has us at 95k currently and the day's not over). Maybe when Trump said we were rounding the corner he was thinking case counts were like an old school odometer that resets to 0 after you surpass 100,000 miles.

EDIT: And here we go.

B.A. Bearacus
Unit2Sucks
B.A. Bearacus said:

Another grim milestone and with Trump still in charge and throwing a tantrum for the next 3 months it will only get worse.
Cal84
No, those who oppose wearing masks will dig in further after Trump's defeat. Moreover, with Trump gone, his minions will then also oppose taking a vaccine which should be available in the first quarter of 2021.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.