cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,289,289 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
muimerp;842383248 said:

That's cute. But none of that is stopping recruits from coming to Arizona. Brandon Ashley is developing just fine, even has a nice 15 foot jumper now, lateral quickness, and strength. Pretty sure Rabbs goals are to make to the NBA and have a long career. Yeah he wants to go to business school, so does every other OAD player. Which btw you may want to tell Martin you can't "build a program" around a OAD player.

Seems the only thing mediocre and 4th rate here and of importance to this "discussion" is Cal basketball, facilities, fan support, and tradition.

P.S. where is this "monster class" you've been waiting on since 2012? Seems most of those recruits ended up in Tucson playing for the premier program of*the West.

Sean Miller needs lots of highly rated recruits, because most of the ones he chooses and lands turn out to be complete busts. Who says that if you go to Arizona and play for Sean Miller that you will have a long NBA career? Only one Miller Arizona player, Derrick Williams, has lasted in the NBA for more than a season, and he is a bench player averaging 23 minutes. Solomon Hill has played a season averaging less than 2 ppg, and is still with the Pacers. But that is it, the sum total of Miller’s Arizona players who have NBA experience.

As to Miller’s highly rated Arizona recruits, here is the list from Rivals:

2009:
Solomon Hill, 4 star recruit, good 4 year player for AZ. He played a year in the NBA, played in 28 games, scored 48 pts, and is still in the NBA.
Lamont Jones, 4 star recruit, played two years and transferred to Iona, so he could take care of his grandmother, who was ill. As a point guard at AZ, he averaged a terrific 2 assists per game and 8 points.
Kyryl Natyazhko, 4 star recruit, played 3 years, averaging 2 points and 2 rebounds, then left early to play pro in the Ukraine.

2010:
Dan Bejarano, 4 star recruit, barely played as a freshman, and was forced off the team by Miller, and transferred to Colorado State. Bejarano’s father had been murdered, but Miller lied, and told him he would be a father figure to him. According to Bejarano, Miller cares only about money and winning right away, and not developing players. He used inappropriate comments with Bejarano’s mother and yelled at his AAU coach.

2011:
Nick Johnson, 5 star recruit, was a fine player for AZ for 3 years, left early for the NBA.
Sidiki Johnson, 4 star recruit, played 9 total minutes as a freshman, and transferred to Providence. He has now washed out of basketball.
Josiah Turner, 5 star recruit, was kicked off the team for abusing drugs and alcohol, after an unsuccessful freshman season.
Angelo Chol, 4 star recruit, played 3 years at AZ, averaging 12 minutes and 3 points, and then transferred to San Diego State.

2012:
Brandon Ashley, 5 star recruit, had a good first year and was injured late in his second year. He is still on the AZ team.
Grant Jerret, 5 star recruit, played a year for AZ, averaging 5 pts and 4 rebounds, and then left for the NBA. The Thunder put him into the D-League for a year.
Kaleb Tarczewski, 5 star recruit, has been a good player for Arizona for two seasons and he is still on the AZ team.
Gabe York, 4 star recruit, did nothing as a freshman, but played a little better and got som minutes in year two. Still on the team

2013:
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, 5 star recruit, had a good freshman year and is still on the team.
Aaron Gordon, 5 star recruit, had a good freshman year, and left for the NBA

Now, a little arithmetic, which an Arizona graduate might be able to understand. In 5 years, Miller and Arizona have landed 14 highly rated recruits. Seven have been busts. Only one recruit has given Miller 4 years, and only three others have given him 3 years (so far). 14 recruits means a potential total of 56 years at Arizona, and these recruits have given Miller only 27 years of service to the team. So far. If Ashley, Tarczewski, York, and Hollis-Jefferson all play 4 years, which is unlikely, the 14 recruits will have given only 36 years of service to the team. If we look at the bad or unproductive years of these recruits, which totals 13 years, then the 14 recruits gave Miller and Arizona only 14 good years of good productive play at Arizona. 14 good years out of a possible 52 years is a 25% recruiting success rate for Miller. A total of 14 good years out of 14 recruits. Not good, is it?

Miller is pure slime as a recruiter. He’ll say anything to get a player. He doesn’t develop players. He is in it for himself, according to Dan Bejarano. Besides, I never trusted guys with beady eyes.

I’ll give you that AZ may have better facilities and fan support, but tradition? You have only modern era tradition, beginning in the 1980s. Even your NCAA title was only won after the NCAA championship was watered down to seemingly include every school that had a team. That year, Arizona was invited to the NCAA as the 5th place team in the PAC10. A joke. When Cal won the NCAA title in 1959, in an era when being the best meant something, because to win the title, you had to beat the best teams, and only 23 were invited. You had to win your conference or have a great record to get in.
SFCityBear
muimerp;842383248 said:

That's cute. But none of that is stopping recruits from coming to Arizona. Brandon Ashley is developing just fine, even has a nice 15 foot jumper now, lateral quickness, and strength. Pretty sure Rabbs goals are to make to the NBA and have a long career. Yeah he wants to go to business school, so does every other OAD player. Which btw you may want to tell Martin you can't "build a program" around a OAD player.

Seems the only thing mediocre and 4th rate here and of importance to this "discussion" is Cal basketball, facilities, fan support, and tradition.

P.S. where is this "monster class" you've been waiting on since 2012? Seems most of those recruits ended up in Tucson playing for the premier program of*the West.

Sorry I was unable to figure out how to post this picture in larger size, but this is a photo of 6'-2" Valparaiso guard and unranked recruit, Matt Kenney, completely stuffing the jump shot of 6'-8" Arizona big, Sidiki Johnson, a 4-star Sean Miller recruit. In my day, we called a dominant stuff like this "a Spaulding". Good luck to you with all the future Miller recruits you may get.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3839[/ATTACH]
petalumabear
SFCityBear;842383387 said:

Sorry I was unable to figure out how to post this picture in larger size, but this is a photo of 6'-2" Valparaiso guard and unranked recruit, Matt Kenney, completely stuffing the jump shot of 6'-8" Arizona big, Sidiki Johnson, a 4-star Sean Miller recruit. In my day, we called a dominant stuff like this "a Spaulding". Good luck to you with all the future Miller recruits you may get.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3839[/ATTACH]

Let it rip SFCITY.... I love when some smug troll comes on here and all he has is we win... we get great players..... there is a lot more to it that great players and winning. But, unlike under Lute, current trolls will never understand with Miller as their coach what success beyond winning and recruiting means.
Shocky1
hosted skippi, slim wadie & jonsie (who brought along his new girlfriend, shelby) today at my club in flagstaff (7000 elevation, 30 degrees cooler than scottsdale all year), forest highlands...yeah, the canyon course is the top ranked course in the state, the augusta national of arizona

so we get to the 9th tee and there's a delay so i entertain the guys & our caddies (moose is on my bag) with a headstand...and i notice that jonsie's gf is giving me the look & that she's wearing cfm pumps (which aren't the best shoes for walking a 6 mile golf round)

so anyways we get to the green & she creeps up behind me while i'm crouching & lining up my birdie putt...so i ask her "what do you think this is gonna do, maybe 2 cups left to right?"...and she leans into me from behind & whispers in my ear something that i can't repeat here but that involves 2 very flexible people & a wall...ruh roh

so when we finished i get jonsie downstairs alone in the men's locker room while everybody else is out on the patio having a drink & tell him exactly what happened on the golf course

jonsie: are you telling me everything?

me: totally

jonsie: did you do anything to lead her on?

me: no, well maybe the headstand but we were all there for that

jonsie: yeah, i know, you're always doing your gay azz yoga for us, not sure why

me: your welcome

jonsie: ****, why do i always pick the crazy ones?

me: i dunno, maybe because you're a dumb azz?...do you know about the crazy/hot matrix that i posted?

jonsie: shock, i don't have time for your stupid azz blog that you think is gonna someday help cal win a national championship

me: if i repost it before dinner, will you watch it?

jonsie: sure

me & jonsie (knuckle five each other): bros before hos

Shocky1

failure to watch the following instructional video will result in adverse consequences for cal basketball players & prospective recruits

ignore at your own risk

you're welcome
concordtom
Shocky1;842383452 said:

hosted skippi, slim wadie & jonsie (who brought along his new girlfriend, shelby) today at my club in flagstaff (7000 elevation, 30 degrees cooler than scottsdale all year), forest highlands...yeah, the canyon course is the top ranked course in the state, the augusta national of arizona

so we get to the 9th tee and there's a delay so i entertain the guys & our caddies (moose is on my bag) with a headstand...and i notice that jonsie's gf is giving me the look & that she's wearing cfm pumps (which aren't the best shoes for walking a 6 mile golf round)

so anyways we get to the green & she creeps up behind me while i'm crouching & lining up my birdie putt...so i ask her "what do you think this is gonna do, maybe 2 cups left to right?"...and she leans into me from behind & whispers in my ear something that i can't repeat here but that involves 2 very flexible people & a wall...ruh roh

so when we finished i get jonsie downstairs alone in the men's locker room while everybody else is out on the patio having a drink & tell him exactly what happened on the golf course

jonsie: are you telling me everything?

me: totally

jonsie: did you do anything to lead her on?

me: no, well maybe the headstand but we were all there for that

jonsie: yeah, i know, you're always doing you gay azz yoga for us, not sure why

me: your welcome

jonsie: ****, why do i always pick the crazy ones?

me: i dunno, maybe because you're a dumb azz?...do you know about the crazy/hot matrix that i posted?

jonsie: shock, i don't have time for your stupid azz blog that you think is gonna someday help cal win a national championship

me: if i repost it before dinner, will you watch it?

jonsie: sure

me & jonsie (knuckle five each other): bros before hos

No, no, no.
You gotta finish the story.

What'd you do about the girl?
HoopDreams
so you want to go to Business School?

brj1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3842[/ATTACH]exactly, sfcity, nobody accomplishes less on the court with more talent than UofA, especially with Sean Miller at the helm. Miller's primary selling point is the same as his predecessors, that academic requirements will be minimal. You are there to play hoops, nothing more, nothing less. The recruits that are more discerning can easily comprehend the lifetime value of a Cal degree. In Martin and Hufnagel,Cal has two coaches that have an excellent track record of ethical recruiting with the prospective player's long term welfare in mind. Take the example of Shareef Adur Rahim. Like Ivan Raab, he was the top recruit in the country out of HS. After one year at Cal, he was drafted by an inferior expansion team. Other than Cuonzo Martin, he had little talent around him and toiled in obscurity during his prime years. He became a high scoring power forward, averaging 18.1 pts a game for his career. He was smart with his money and played a long time with various teams. Recently, he came back to Cal, as he was promised, and earned his degree. Now he has money, a Cal degree, and his whole life in front of him.
Shocky1

gonna meet rogg machine at the oakland airport, tasty breakfast burritos at the ol' yeller caf & field passes on the turf at memorial stadium

together we attack#
50 year friendship#
Shocky1

cal family#
Shocky1
the early morning angry bears practiced for 2 hours at 7:00 am saturday morning, brandon sampson is officially visiting the st johns red storm & tyler dorsey is officially visiting the arizona state sun devils

Vineyardview
..& isn't Kerwin Roach Jr visiting Texas this weekend - with his commitment announcement planned for next week on 10/24.
Shocky1
enjoyed a lovely dinner at the intimate & charming frascati's tonite on russian hill with family & friends on a beautifully clear fall evening in san francisco

after dinner while we were strolling thru little italy in north beach i wandered off by myself to check out an old lady of an undeterminable ethnic background methodically checking the street's garbage cans for recyclable cans & bottles

i say hello, she smiles & keeps working

so mr world traveler says hello in a dozen+ languages, she smiles & keeps working

so i pick up a few cans in the gutter, crush them with the heel of my dress shoes & put them in her shopping cart, she smiles & keeps working

i'm done talking (still hoarse from the game this afternoon at memorial) so we just quietly work together collecting cans & bottles...our pace develops a cadence & rhythm of two hearts working together

shay & taylor drift over to see what their crazy azz dad is doing now & then they start helping her too, the old lady still hasn't said anything...the only sounds are of cans being crushed, seagulls squawking & a police siren in the distance

finally it's time to leave so i give her all my cash in my pockets (just a little south of $1,000), she barely looks at the money & is instead eyeing my green plastic perrier bottle in my jacket...so i give her that bottle too...she smiles broadly now & says something in a language i don't understand

as we are leaving, i take one final look back over my shoulder to see if the old lady is gonna take her cash home & call it a night

nope, she is still working

her indefatigable & quietly stoic work ethic reminds me of mothers everywhere who tirelessly work to support & keep their families together...she is my mom, your mom, ivan rabb's mom, dwight tarwater's mom, a new mom with a beautiful baby on the way, she is everyone's mom

i love you, mom

-your mama's boy

update: went into the city tonite after dropping rogg machine off at the airport & there was my idol on the same street doing her work...i parked the rental & with a nod went to work with her again
Shocky1
[video=youtube;NtaccfH91Ms][/video]

listen to dwight tarwater explain how the upcoming season will be dedicated to the memory of his mom, mary tarwater

a moment of love#
HoopDreams
It ain't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, is Cal Freshmen J.T. Nishimura, who upset a stanford player to advance to the USTA/ITA Northwest Regional Championships

Is there any doubt that Nishimura and the Cal mens tennis team are World Class athletes?

Shocky1
ivan, if you continue to become mentally stronger/unbreakable, further develop your already devastating post finishing moves, tirelessly work to achieve much needed (by nba standards) s&c strength & learn financial management skills along with a strong education re: real estate development, you have a unique opportunity to potentially live a very glamorous life

but like all athletes, your sports career could be over in a split second, a career ending injury in a blink of an eye...at that point you would need a world class education in order to still pursue & achieve your dreams in life

do you really think slick salesmen like john calipari, sean miller or bill self would stay in touch with you if you had a serious injury or would they move on to their next all american prospect on speed dial?...cuonzo martin & john thompson jr are men of integrity, they are educators at their cores

your mom wants you to be happy & is therefore not going to impose her will on you, the college decision will be 100% your choice...you are free to pursue your dreams

but you know that deep down inside that tami wants her oldest son to stay home for college at cal, to stay close to her & your younger bro tamarik, to loudly/proudly cheer for you during your games at haas & then give you a bear hug after every game...she is a mom, she wants to keep her family together as long as possible, not endure a long distance relationship

when your mom owned & ran delancy's welcome table on park boulevard in the eastlake district your mom worked a million hours with the hope of creating better lives for both you & tamarik...and when biz hit a hard turn in the road, she did not give up that dream, she gave up the home & you all moved into the restaurant...the restaurant eventually closed but that's not because she didn't tirelessly work to try to make it happen, there is never any shame when we pursue our dreams & quests and come up a little short...and she never gave up & now her new restaurant is doing well & she is building an outstanding reputation for her sensational tasty dishes (personally i'm a big fan of the tasty breakfast burritos on gameday & maybe a chocolate shake in the evening)

regardless of your decision, ivan, your mom is gonna love you with all her heart

so it all really boils down to, what are your priorities in life, what is gonna be your legacy?

dgong
HD,

I mean no disrespect to to JT, or to members of the women's golf team mentioned above, but "world class" athletes may be a stretch in the strictest sense(perhaps elite student athletes?). However, take a look at Cal's men's and women's swim rosters, which features world class swimmers like Missy Franklin, Ryan Murphy, Elizabeth Pelton, Rachel Bootsma, Josh Prenot, Jacob Pebley, Justin Lynch and Cierra Runge who compete for US national teams at the highest level.

I will leave it to more e-savvy posters to add pictures, but I encourage all to attend a Cal swim meet where you can actually meet and talk to these current and future US Olympians.
south bender
Is it not the case that swimmers peak earlier than golfers?

If so, we are talking apples and pumpkins...
stu
south bender;842385219 said:

Is it not the case that swimmers peak earlier than golfers?

Must be. I'm sure Shocky hasn't peaked yet.
NVGolfingBear
stu;842385329 said:

Shocky's golf game will never peak. His Yoga skills, yeah they have peaked...he can do a headstand, impressing everyone!
Shocky1
stu;842385329 said:

my current 1st wife kat thinks my new golf instructional coach here in north scottsdale doesn't dress very professionally...oh well

fairways & greens#
HoopDreams
dgong. No prob bro. I posted about the women's swim team earlier (see below)

Also, the women team's recruits are ranked #4 in the Nation by Swim Swam:
Catherine Ladd, Noemie Thomas, Cierra Runge, Jasmine Mau, and Maija Roses

dgong says:
HD,

I mean no disrespect to to JT, or to members of the women's golf team mentioned above, but "world class" athletes may be a stretch in the strictest sense(perhaps elite student athletes?). However, take a look at Cal's men's and women's swim rosters, which features world class swimmers like Missy Franklin, Ryan Murphy, Elizabeth Pelton, Rachel Bootsma, Josh Prenot, Jacob Pebley, Justin Lynch and Cierra Runge who compete for US national teams at the highest level.

I will leave it to more e-savvy posters to add pictures, but I encourage all to attend a Cal swim meet where you can actually meet and talk to these current and future US Olympians.

HoopDreams;842375965 said:

It ain't just Cal basketball and football that strives for excellence, and has World Class athletes

It's all Cal sports that compete at the highest level

Another example, is Cal superstar swimmer [COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]Missy Franklin[/SIZE][/COLOR]
With Olympic Gold medals galore, and the winner of the Laureus World Sports Award for Sportswoman of the Year award

Is there any doubt that she and the Cal women swim team are World Class athletes?

concordtom
Shocky1;842385112 said:

ivan, if you continue to become mentally stronger/unbreakable, further develop your already devastating post finishing moves, tirelessly work to achieve much needed (by nba standards) s&c strength & learn financial management skills along with a strong education re: real estate development, you have a unique opportunity to potentially live a very glamorous life

but like all athletes, your sports career could be over in a split second, a career ending injury in a blink of an eye...at that point you would need a world class education in order to still pursue & achieve your dreams in life

do you really think slick salesmen like john calipari, sean miller or bill self would stay in touch with you if you had a serious injury or would they move on to their next all american prospect on speed dial?...cuonzo martin & john thompson jr are men of integrity, they are educators at their cores

your mom wants you to be happy & is therefore not going to impose her will on you, the college decision will be 100% your choice...you are free to pursue your dreams

but you know that deep down inside that tami wants her oldest son to stay home for college at cal, to stay close to her & your younger bro tamarik, to loudly/proudly cheer for you during your games at haas & then give you a bear hug after every game...she is a mom, she wants to keep her family together as long as possible, not endure a long distance relationship

when your mom owned & ran delancy's welcome table on park boulevard in the eastlake district your mom worked a million hours with the hope of creating better lives for both you & tamarik...and when biz hit a hard turn in the road, she did not give up that dream, she gave up the home & you all moved into the restaurant...the restaurant eventually closed but that's not because she didn't tirelessly work to try to make it happen, there is never any shame when we pursue our dreams & quests and come up a little short...and she never gave up & now her new restaurant is doing well & she is building an outstanding reputation for her sensational tasty dishes (personally i'm a big fan of the tasty breakfast burritos on gameday & maybe a chocolate shake in the evening)

regardless of your decision, ivan, your mom is gonna love you with all her heart

so it all really boils down to, what are your priorities in life, what is gonna be your legacy?

So, are bear backers allowed to advertise the recruit's mom's restaurant?
I'll go check it out! I love breakfast burritos! Chocolate shakes, too!
Shocky1
trevor davis, released from the hospital

cal family#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842385342 said:

my current 1st wife kat thinks my new golf instructional coach here in north scottsdale doesn't dress very professionally...oh well

fairways & greens#

who's the dumb azz trying to represent cal with the backwards c at the kawana hotel's fuji course on the east coast of the izu peninsula in japan?

everyone en la familia de shocky has a different vision of the ideal golf pro

kat's version of the ideal golf pro (it's a sun devils thing)

shocky's version of the ideal golf pro

shay's version of the ideal golf pro

taylor's version of the ideal golf pro

kyle's version of the ideal golf pro

happy, misty mae, trouble, mugsy & minko stinko's version of the ideal golf pro meal (which not surpisingly looks like the tasty chili fries at the ol' yeller caf)

dinner at the q (5 different menus, doggie bags for sure, rescue pets rule)#
life ain't linear#

cape kidnappers on the north island of new zealand
HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=4]Cal Bears making smiles at the Emerson Elementary Walk-a-thon Fundraiser
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
cuonzo martin is personally handling the recruitment of caleb swanigan, a top 10 2015 strongman from fort wayne, indiana...swanigan is known for his relentless rebounding motor & back to the basket power game along with a skillful soft touch from the perimeter with a nba future upside

caleb is 6'8" 275 lbs after losing 75 lbs from his days as a 6'4" 350 lbs middle schooler...at that time he left his family in utah to live with his current guardian roosevelt barnes jr, a former nfl player, who has mentored swanigan's healthier diet & dedicated cardio program

roosevelt barnes jr (also a 4 year player on the purdue basketball team) & cuonzo martin have a strong longtime friendship

swanigan has been offered by virtually every major program in the country including kentucky & local favorite michigan state (which is hedging its bet in the cb sweepstakes via izzo's active recruitment of wisconsin elite 5 henry ellenson)...the only official visit discussed is to surprisingly enough, chicago state, which was the 1st school to offer him back in the day but it has not been scheduled at this time...he is planning on unofficially visiting kentucky for their combine scouting practice on october 10th & arizona on october 17th

dude is a smart guy, by working diligently in the classroom during summer school, swanigan has reclassified from the 2016 to the 2015 class...last season he had a 20 ppg & 12 rpg at homestead hs in fort wayne

caleb played on the usa team in dubai with bay area superstar ivan rabb & shot an unreal 69.6% for the victorious american team...both caleb & ivan have a lot in common from an outside interests (beyond basketball) perspective

swanigan's in homes visits to date include cal, michigan state, kentucky, pittsburgh, ucla, arizona, notre dame, purdue, auburn, new mexico, missouri, north carolina state, michigan & alabama

the key factor in this recruitment will be for cuonzo to secure an official visit from caleb to berkeley...if that happens, anything is possible at that point

"kentucky (check)
arizona (check)
thinking next week go out and see what coach conzo martin has out there in berkley california"
-caleb swanigan

the bears staff would love for caleb to officially visit berkeley next weekend when tyler dorsey also officially visits cal but nothing is firmed up yet

diamond in the rough#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the midwest)

Shocky1

nic told me that jabari bird weighed in at 199 lbs & david kravish at 237 lbs last week and that he's very pleased with the s&c and nutritional advancements of the guys

cal's s&c guru is very high energy (which will be a welcome addition after last season's chess club quiet bears bench of players & coaches), absolutely passionate about his work & unfailingly polite (he uses the phrase "yes sir" a lot in a southern sort of way)...we talked about his cousin patrick christopher needing to beat out one guy in front of him on the memphis roster & the dangers of all you can buffets like shoneys

look, it would redunkulous for anyone (other than the fearless/brain dead jordan mathews) to say they are in better shape than nic (who looks like he could play special teams for the oakland raiders, his wife fallon's favorite team) but i did do a headstand for him while he struggled with a handstand on the floor at haas

nic told me that he is also a strong believer in the powers of yoga & that he implemented a very popular program with the players in tennessee...he's currently checking out yoga teachers in berkeley & hopes to replicate a similar program at cal...yeah, finding the right yoga instructor is pretty important

"i consistently open my phone to texts like "coach, let's get that extra work in today"...#improvement#desire#mbb"
-nicodemus christopher

together we attack#
Shocky1

mark poyser, dad of onetime cal scouted guard jalen poyser, commented that "jalen's official visit to unlv this past weekend was very good...their academics are on par with what we want"

gotta give dad points for his honesty re: unlv's highly popular gaming machine repair degree program or the more academically challenging (reading skills are required) stripper std health degree program
Shocky1
[video=youtube;PEO7qfnQG6w][/video]

what you gotta know about dk:

*****he's poised & articulate
*****david is the smartest bear of them all (4.1 hs gpa/considering med school/majoring integrative biology)
*****gonna compete with colorado's josh scott for both the pac 12 rebounding & blocked shots leader titles
*****got engaged this summer
*****on the nba radar as a potential 2nd round draft choice http://www.nbadraft.net/2015mock_draft
*****don't tell cuonzo but dk is also the leader singer of st lucia

senior leadership (finally)#
HoopDreams
Mystery man & his friend Rogg Machine at their favorite breakfast spot on gameday
before the UCLA football game

where have I seen that guy before?

HoopDreams
California in the Pacific 12 conference

Shocky1
when kidd was with the phx suns, i used to host j, the team's asst coach frank johnson (later become the hc before losing too many games & having an affair with the also married wife of the suns largest corporate sponsor resulted in him being fired (kidz, that's that's the quickest way to throw away a promising career) along with my close friend the now deceased dr gary mack (the team shrink...counseled j on marital issues with mrs crazytown, joumana) at my summer club in flagstaff, forest highlands golf club

j told me during one of our rounds together that his final college list included kansas, arizona, ohio state & kentucky with the jayhawks probably the leader despite his never actually ever visiting lawrence...he started playing in informal pick up games at harmon organized by his friend monty buckley...j told me there was a defining epiphany like moment when walking thru a grove of trees near the creek north of harmon with his bb bag over his shoulder on a beautiful bay area afternoon that it all came together for him

kidd realized how much he loved his mom & dad and that he wanted to share his college experience with them...it was that simple in jk's mind-he never even made an official visit to cal or any other school, there was no need to do so

so j played in front of his mom & dad and friends at the #1 public university in the world before moving on to generate $200+m in nba earning before becoming the hc for the brooklyn nets & now the milwaukee bucks

i last saw j at the national golf links of america in southampton, new york this summer & he told me that he's never regretted his time at cal...he cherishes the collegiate memories he shared with his parents, dad steve died in 1999 (real talk, our parents will not love live forever and our time with them is limited)

fast forward & another top player in the usa from the east bay is faced with similar choices/opportunities

what are your priorities in life, ivan?

ivan, what do you want your legacy to be?

mom matters#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including oakland)
Shocky1

brandon sampson is an explosively smooth 6'4" 170 lbs top 40 2015 guard from baton rouge's madison prep that is blowing up this summer on the aau circuit

a pac 12 coach told me that sampson could potentially be 2 & done & that he projects as a strong nba prospect

the biggest decision in this recruitment is whether or not he wants to play at lsu (which is 10 minutes from his house & a former hs teammate jarell martin plays for the tigers) or does he want to maybe get out of the south & experience something new & get a world class education?

pretty sure I know what snoop dogg's decision would be

sampson's 5 official visits will likelly be to cal (huf is his guy), lsu (sept 19th tigers football weekend with mom), st johns (october 17th) and both ucla & usc (has never experienced high levels of air pollution before)

brandon is currently officially visiting cal & made it in time to enjoy today's noon football/basketball prep rally at sproul and will scrimmage with the basketball team tomorrow

cal family#
50 yr decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the south)

update: brandon has described his official visit to st johns last weekend as "good" & is scheduled to visit usc this weekend (october 24th)
HoopDreams
Kerwin Roach liked his visit to home-town favorite Texas

but Kerwin will turn 18 on October 24th. That means he will be a certified adult, and may look at the world a little different than he does today.

Wishing Kerwin a happy birthday in 3 days...

First Page Last Page
Page 119 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.