Go Goff!

32,956 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by golden sloth
MSaviolives
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jared on national tv against the Bills today. Nice opening drive for a td.

I have no idea how the game will go or how his game will go, but I root for the guy. He is 100% Bear. Parents are bears, he went to Cal games as a kid, his dream was to play at Cal, and he did. He's not a top tier quarterback but he is pretty good and I root for him. I don't hold his #1 pick against him. Good for him to play so well at Cal and get that draft pick.
cal83dls79
MSaviolives said:

Jared on national tv against the Bills today. Nice opening drive for a td.

I have no idea how the game will go or how his game will go, but I root for the guy. He is 100% Bear. Parents are bears, he went to Cal games as a kid, his dream was to play at Cal, and he did. He's not a top tier quarterback but he is pretty good and I root for him. I don't hold his #1 pick against him. Good for him to play so well at Cal and get that draft pick.
only Mahommes has more TD passes (actually tied) thrown at home. Great way to spend thanksgiving watching one of my favorite Bears
okaydo
chazzed
I'm also a big fan of Goff. So close today. In any case, the Lions have shown improvement this season.
KoreAmBear
Dan Campbell blew it. They could have been in position for a playoff run with a win.
bearister
Bad clock management with those 3 TO left. Dan is a leader and a motivator but a rocket scientist he ain't.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
DiabloWags

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
Cal88
Too bad this game was at the same time as Brazil-Serbia, which was a very good game. I wonder what the respective ratings are for these two games are going to be.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/23/world-cup-2022-qatar-soccer-nfl-football-tv-ratings
upsetof86
Nobody talking about Japan beating Germany? Germany looked on knifes edge all game despite leading 1-0 until the 75'. A beautiful game it is indeed, though I'm a full time football fan first, soccer fan as a hobbyist.
upsetof86
chazzed said:

I'm also a big fan of Goff. So close today. In any case, the Lions have shown improvement this season.

+1 I was really rooting for the Lions today to pull it out.
Cal88
upsetof86 said:

Nobody talking about Japan beating Germany? Germany looked on knifes edge all game despite leading 1-0 until the 75'. A beautiful game it is indeed, though I'm a full time football fan first, soccer fan as a hobbyist.
there is a thread on the world cup:

https://bearinsider.com/forums/2/topics/111811
upsetof86
Cal88 said:

upsetof86 said:

Ah of course that thread, thanks 88. And you in fact called the German upset loss to Japan there, very nice.
Cal88
upsetof86 said:

Cal88 said:

upsetof86 said:

Ah of course that thread, thanks 88. And you in fact called the German upset loss to Japan there, very nice.

I actually had Germany beating Japan, I just said after the game that Germany is still not up to its historic standards. I was 12 out of 16 on my game 1 prediction, the Japan upset was the only prediction I got wrong, along with those of Saudi, Morocco and Tunisia:

Qatar 0-1 Ecuador
England 2-1 Iran
Senegal 1-3 Netherlands
USA 1-1 Wales
Argentina 2-0 Saudi Arabia
Denmark 1-0 Tunisia
Mexico 1-1 Poland
France 2-0 Australia
Morocco 0-2 Croatia
Germany 2-0. Japan
Spain 1-0 Costa Rica
Belgium 2-1 Canada
Switzerland 1-0 Cameroon
Uruguay 1-1 South Korea
Portugal 2-0 Ghana
Brazil 2-1 Serbia

Basically these three Arab teams have had great fan support and approached their games with lots of confidence, powering into good results on their first games.
okaydo
Jared Goff's story is fascinating in that when he has any success, people connected with that success are perceived as geniuses because Goff is perceived to be such a terrible QB.

To recap:

Goff as a rookie had Rob Boras as his offensive coordinator. Boras began calling plays for the first time in the final game of the previous season after Jeff Fisher fired Frank Cignetti Jr. (former Cal OC) as OC.

Goff looked absolutely terrible under Rob Boras. His QB coach, Chris Weinke, only had 1 year of NFL experience under his belt.

Goff was a bust, or so the narrative goes.

Sean McVay realized that Goff was surrounded by inexperienced people and surrounded him with experience: Matt LaFleur at OC and Greg Olson, who had been QB coaching since before Goff was born, as QB coach.

The result: Goff looked really good.

After the 2017 season, LaFleur was hired away by the Titans and Jon Gruden hired away Olson, whom he with at the Bucs.

In 2018, for Goff's second season, assistant WR coach Zac Taylor was promoted to QB coach, while nobody had the title of "offensive coordinator." (Shane Waldron, now the Seahawks OC, was "passing game coordinator.)

Goff looked so good during the 2018 season.

So good that by December, Zac Taylor -- again, who was *assistant* WR coach the season before -- was already being talked about as head coaching material. (Months later, the Bengals hired Taylor as their head coach.)

(An interesting note: Andy Benoit, the Sports Illustrated writer who wrote the article above, now works for McVay.)

In 2020, Goff's offensive coordinator was Kevin O'Connell, now head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. Of course, Goff wasn't good that year. (The Rams didn't have an official "offensive coordinator in 2018 and 2019.) (O'Connell was hired after the Rams' Super Bowl victory.

In 2021, Goff ended up at the Detroit Lions.

At the Lions, Goff had Anthony Lynn as his offensive coordinator. Lynn's previous playcalling experience was for the 2016 Buffalo Bills, taking over when offensive coordinator Greg Roman was fired early in the season.

Under Anthony Lynn, Goff sucked.

(Dan Campbell also hired another inexperienced person, former NFL QB Mark Brunell, who had been out of the league for a decade and had been coaching high school football the year before, as Goff's QB coach. Campbell and Brunell were teammates in the NFL.)

Lynn was fired near the end of the season.

TE coach Ben Johnson, who had no playcalling experience, was promoted to offensive coordinator. And Goff thrived under Johnson.

Because Goff and the Lions offense look good under Johnson, Johnson is now considered head coaching material.

From The Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/26/nfl-coaching-candidates-ben-johnson-demeco-ryans/

okaydo
kal kommie
Goff has a nice set of weapons now. Amon-Ra St. Brown is the big one but then there's Jameson Williams, DJ Chark, Josh Reynolds and nice RBs. Their OL is pretty good too.

He's going to defy all those who at one of several points called him a bust by having a long and productive career.
KoreAmBear
A win today and they are still on the bubble for a WC spot. A win over the Bills which they could have had would have done wonders. Still they have the Rams high draft pick and they are building. Rams got their ring but they are now in worse shape than the Lions. Go Jared! Always rooting for you.
WalterSobchak
KoreAmBear said:

Rams got their ring
Still can't believe Tartt dropped that ball and let Stafford off the hook™
BearGoggles
kal kommie said:

Goff has a nice set of weapons now. Amon-Ra St. Brown is the big one but then there's Jameson Williams, DJ Chark, Josh Reynolds and nice RBs. Their OL is pretty good too.

He's going to defy all those who at one of several points called him a bust by having a long and productive career.
Detroit also has a very good OL. For Goff, that's been the key. In his career, when he has time and a solid running game, he's very good. But the book has been that he's poor under pressure and commits too many turnovers (which seems to be a bit less of a problem these days).
72CalBear
BearGoggles said:

kal kommie said:

Detroit also has a very good OL. For Goff, that's been the key. In his career, when he has time and a solid running game, he's very good. But the book has been that he's poor under pressure and commits too many turnovers (which seems to be a bit less of a problem these days).
As a Bear, he spent alot of time on his back.
bearister

GO GOFF! GO BEARS!
Logy
They were both number one picks, but Trevor Lawrence has not been the same since his giant head was moved from Easter Island.
okaydo
https://thedenforum.com/t/here-s-where-i-m-at-with-goff/19138/15
cal83dls79
Logy said:

They were both number one picks, but Trevor Lawrence has not been the same since his giant head was moved from Easter Island.
I'm not one to support body shaming but this cracked me up
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
okaydo
bearister
Go Goff! F McVay!

"Historic tumble: The Rams fell to 3-9 after their 27-23 loss to the Seahawks, clinching a losing season and sending them to the worst 12-game start ever by a defending Super Bowl champion."Axios

*Who is the designated scapegoat this season?
okaydo
bearister
Another coattail rider!

prospeCt
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/197823/ken-stablers-meeting-with-al-davis-ended-a-legendary-feud

https://drunkard.com/55-all-star-alcoholics/

okaydo
Nasal Mucus Goldenbear
okaydo said:

https://thedenforum.com/t/here-s-where-i-m-at-with-goff/19138/15
Good read!

Great to see Detroit fans coming around. The haters are now in the distinct minority. The majority now seems to see him somewhere between a top 10 to 15 league QB worth keeping at the helm unless a potential generational passer becomes available.

Let's see how they view him at season's end.
79 Bear
Funny you would post that. Just this morning I was reading many very positive posts about Jared from Lions fans on Twitter. One even mentioned that he changes the cadence to keep the defense off balance and that Stafford never did that.
bearister
2022 NFL Season Leaders Total QBR | ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr
grrrrah

This poster perfectly addressed the Lions fans who continue to say that Goff needs to prove himself to them:

"TNutZz:
But wait, I'm not convinced Goff is the guy until he also plays DB. I'd really just like to see him be dominant on both sides of the ball before I make up my mind. Also he needs to rescue some people. Like run into a fiery crash and pull out at least three children and a nun. If he can manage that, then maybe I'll be convinced."

bearister
Goff & Company # 18

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.