Go Goff!

33,148 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by golden sloth
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No problem. Wiki says Cam Jordan also has a gold C and Keenan is close. It would sure be cool if Cal guys could put the bear in there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_team_captains

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-captains-c-patch-comes-with-varied-roles-responsibilities-0ap1000000058893
bearister
Eject Collinsworth!

I wonder how AR liked having his head bounced off the turf. AR throwing Derek Carr Hail Mary pic off specials.

Goff needs to burn Lambeau down now!

GO DEEP!

SEND THE PACKERS PACKIN'!

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Go!Bears
Jared beats the guy from Butte
bearister
AR is a good sport. I'll give him that. Will he be playing in the Death Star next season?
Anarchistbear
Green Bay blows and another dog **** team, Seattle, is the crash test dummie for the niners. Too bad, the Lions are more entertaining than either.
BearSD
Loved the hook and ladder play.
BearSD
bearister said:

I'm actually happy AR just said Butte CC. I hope Goff clown stomps him.

Final score
Cal 20
Butte 16
philbert
I hope Detroit keeps Johnson as their OC. Jared deserves to spend another year with him.

I wonder if this is the end of AR's career?
sonofabear51
As a lifelong Packer fan, I am wondering the same. It might be best. I remember how long it took Favre to leave. Rodgers certainly airmailed a number of passes tonight. Normally that wouldn't have happened.
Oh well. I think the 49ers would blow the Packers out next week anyway.

GO BEARS!!
Start Slowly and taper off
okaydo
It is kind of astounding that Goff is 4-2 vs. Rodgers.

okaydo
2016: Goff sucks, Rodgers is great.
2017: Goff is great, Rodgers sucks.
2018: Goff is great, Rodgers sucks.
2019: Goff sucks, Rodgers is great.
2020: Goff sucks, Rodgers is great.
2021: Goff sucks, Rodgers is great.
2022: Goff is great, Rodgers sucks.
BearGoggles
sonofabear51 said:

As a lifelong Packer fan, I am wondering the same. It might be best. I remember how long it took Favre to leave. Rodgers certainly airmailed a number of passes tonight. Normally that wouldn't have happened.

GO BEARS!!
I would be very surprised if he walks away from that type of guarantied money. I think it boils down to whether he wants to play with another team and go for a super bowl run (the Peyton Manning move) or grind it out with the Packers who have done a pretty bad job putting players around him and building a good roster.

In terms of his passing, isn't he still playing with a broken thumb?
Anarchistbear
Rodger's ego would demand a farewell tour. He's not quitting.
upsetof86
okaydo said:

It is kind of astounding that Goff is 4-2 vs. Rodgers.

I'm a big Goff fan, he got a raw deal in LA. I only wish the seahawks didn't end their season. ***.
philbert
BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!
I would be very surprised if he walks away from that type of guarantied money. I think it boils down to whether he wants to play with another team and go for a super bowl run (the Peyton Manning move) or grind it out with the Packers who have done a pretty bad job putting players around him and building a good roster.

I'd generally agree but I thought this was odd. I also don't think GB could afford to release or trade him with the cap hit they'd take so I'm not sure how AR could move to another team.

okaydo
JimSox
calumnus said:

The Dodgers are from Brooklyn, the Lakers are from Minneapolis, the Rams are from Cleveland, the Clippers are from San Diego, the Chargers….

And the Cardinals are from Chicago. I stopped rooting for them when they moved to St. Louis in 1958!
Logy
Proud Cal alum eliminates Butte Community College alum from NFL playoffs.
DiabloWags

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
MSaviolives
Goff second only to the esteemed Brock Purdy in QB rating for December/January
calpoly
MSaviolives said:

Hey Bearister....did you notice that Carr is at 34 on the list?
MSaviolives
Detroit Message Board "I was Wrong About Goff"

One fan: "I thought the dude sucked, turns out I suck."

https://thedenforum.com/t/i-was-wrong-about-jared-goff/20706
bearister
calpoly said:

MSaviolives said:

Hey Bearister....did you notice that Carr is at 34 on the list?

He would have gotten several slots higher had he played the last 2 games. He is a Hall of Fame stat padder. If the game doesn't matter, he is throwing 60 yard passes into the bread basket.

It is analogous to a basketball player that has been shooting bricks throughout a key game, but in the last 2 minutes when his team is 30 points down, he shoots 80% from the arc.
BearGoggles
philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

I'd generally agree but I thought this was odd. I also don't think GB could afford to release or trade him with the cap hit they'd take so I'm not sure how AR could move to another team.

Here's an article that goes through the stay/trade/retire impacts. Its complicated to say the least, but I think the bottom line is he is tradeable. The cap hit to the packers is severe if they trade him, but they're turning the position over to Jordan Love (who is still cheap) so they can make it work and probably justify it.

https://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-to-the-packers-options-with-aaron-rodgers

More detailed explanation here if you're curious.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/11/8/23445832/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-trade-value

philbert
BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Here's an article that goes through the stay/trade/retire impacts. Its complicated to say the least, but I think the bottom line is he is tradeable. The cap hit to the packers is severe if they trade him, but they're turning the position over to Jordan Love (who is still cheap) so they can make it work and probably justify it.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2022/11/8/23445832/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-trade-value

Thanks. I always forget about the post June 1 date.

I'm still not sure if they'd be able to trade him. His play hasn't been great this past year and I imagine GB would want some decent assets to let him walk and take those cap hits. Before Purdy emerged, I thought SF might go after Rodgers or Brady. Not so much now unless Purdy regresses in the playoffs.

Can GB find a Denver-like team desperate enough to trade for him like Denver did for Russell Wilson?

I'm also still not convinced he won't just retire.
bearister

If Moses ain't retiring, AR ain't retiring….and Moses had that crazy @$$. b….for a wife in that movie!

BearGoggles
philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

I'm still sure if they'd be able to trade him. His play hasn't been great this past year and I imagine GB would want some decent assets to let him walk and take those cap hits. Before Purdy emerged, I thought SF might go after Rodgers or Brady. Not so much now unless Purdy regresses in the playoffs.

Can GB find a Denver-like team desperate enough to trade for him like Denver did for Russell Wilson?

Teams "on the cusp" of competing that could or should be interested:

Jets (would be a great fit actually)
Commanders (another strong fit IMO)
Raiders (not sure about "on the cusp")
Ravens (if Lamar leaves)
Colts (seems like a good fit actually but not sure of roster quality and management/coaching)
49rs (if they go all in which seems unlikely given their current options - I think they stick with Lance/Purdy)
Dolphins (if they're done with Tua which they might be)
Bucs if Brady retires

Other teams need qbs (e.g., Falcons) but I would expect the rebuilding teams to build through draft.
cal83dls79
BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

I'm still sure if they'd be able to trade him. His play hasn't been great this past year and I imagine GB would want some decent assets to let him walk and take those cap hits. Before Purdy emerged, I thought SF might go after Rodgers or Brady. Not so much now unless Purdy regresses in the playoffs.

Ravens (if Lamar leaves)
Colts (seems like a good fit actually but not sure of roster quality and management/coaching)
49rs (if they go all in which seems unlikely given their current options - I think they stick with Lance/Purdy)
Bucs if Brady retires

Other teams need qbs (e.g., Falcons) but I would expect the rebuilding teams to build through draft.

you may be overlooking the titans
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
BearGoggles
cal83dls79 said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Ravens (if Lamar leaves)
Bucs if Brady retires

Indeed. They should be on the list. Didn't realize they can move on from Tannehill without penalty now and they just fired their OC.
digitcallous

Goff celebrating after the win.
okaydo
digitcallous said:

Goff celebrating after the win.

Last night, the lions Twitter made a reference to Goff's 2018 Halloween costume.
Oski87
WalterSobchak said:

HoopDreams said:

why does Rodgers and Goff and rest of players wearing a big gold C on their jerseys?
"C" is for captain and the patch changes depending on how many seasons the player has held the designation, which are carried from team to team. Gold "C" is for 5 years I believe. Before that there are little stars below the "C" that become gold year after year. There's also a striped multicolor one but I don't know the significance.

The stars in the captains patch means captain 1,2,3 or 4 stars. 4 captains per team.
WalterSobchak
Oski87 said:

WalterSobchak said:

HoopDreams said:

why does Rodgers and Goff and rest of players wearing a big gold C on their jerseys?
"C" is for captain and the patch changes depending on how many seasons the player has held the designation, which are carried from team to team. Gold "C" is for 5 years I believe. Before that there are little stars below the "C" that become gold year after year. There's also a striped multicolor one but I don't know the significance.

The stars in the captains patch means captain 1,2,3 or 4 stars. 4 captains per team.
Up to 6 captains are allowed per team. Stars are for years served as captain.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
mdstastrn37
I'm an LA native that went to Cal at the same time JG was playing, never had a football team to root for until he was drafted by the Rams, went all in as a fan during his run as QB, then adopted a second team after the Lions trade. I have watched almost all of his snaps in his collegiate and pro career.

The amount of negative baggage that sticks to him is really baffling to me. If you were to erase the names and rooting allegiances of fans and replace his name with the likes of Burrow or Lawrence and analyze the first 7 years of a career, the narrative would be completely different.

He had 7 horrendous games as a starter at the end of 2016 with the worst offensive coaching in the league, turned around the whole narrative in 2017 with McVay the next year as a Pro Bowler with top 8 QB play consistently throughout the season, led an historic offense in 2018 when his top two offensive weapons were healthy/available (Kupp injured late in the season, then Gurley basically cooked in the playoffs), went to New Orleans on the road in the championship game and gutted out an improbable win.

In 2019 Gurley was a borderline practice squad player due to injury and they had a bottom 3 offensive line, yet they managed a winning record barely missing the playoffs. In 2020 the line still sucked (I don't care what PFF says), and they made it to the playoffs, he won a playoff game with a surgically repaired thumb, but didn't have enough to win in Lambeau the following game.

Skipping over the past two years with the Lions, knowing what we know about how it has developed, the stigma attached to him is still insane to me.

The only reasons I can think of is because he doesn't "look" like a traditional beefy QB, and that the height of predictions and social media regarding quarterback drafting/busts was when sports Twitter became a thing in 2016. All of those narratives stuck and people can't get rid of them.
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

philbert said:

BearGoggles said:

sonofabear51 said:

GO BEARS!!

Ravens (if Lamar leaves)
Bucs if Brady retires

Remember the Titans!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.