Go Goff!

33,134 Views | 277 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by golden sloth
WalterSobchak
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Goff has never had a performance like Lawrence is putting forth tonight. I'm sure the criticism will be just as harsh. Just kidding. It's a great defensive scheme and not enough speed to stretch the defense.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
bearister
WalterSobchak said:

Goff has never had a performance like Lawrence is putting forth tonight. I'm sure the criticism will be just as harsh. Just kidding. It's a great defensive scheme and not enough speed to stretch the defense.

Just able to turn game on now. Herbert one of my favorites. I have watched a lot of Chargers games on RedZone. My takeaway is that he has little protection and has to scramble to pass and that his defense lets him down.

With that said, it doesn't surprise me Jax are climbing back.

Never knew Herbert was so bright. 4.0 GPA biology major and 39 on Wonderlic Test.
The kid is a warrior that plays hurt in pain and can chuck it.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
philbert said:

back to Chargers talk to drop this:

When I first saw this, I know it would come back to bite them in the a**.

Why would you post this before winning at least 1 playoff game?
WalterSobchak
I know these teams are pretty bad but neither of these Qbs are very good IMO. At some point Herbert has to show he can actually win games, doesn't he? Goff takes endless criticism for being a system quarterback, not being able to put a team on his back, needing a clean pocket to succeed, etc. etc. ad nauseam. Herbert was handed this game and basically did nothing. No sustained scoring drive. 3 second half points. Meanwhile Lawrence throws 4 first half picks and would never have been able to come back from that against any QB with a pulse.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
BearSD
Heh heh
WalterSobchak
BearSD said:

Heh heh

This was the most Chargers game ever. Never in doubt.

bearister
I've seen Herbert play a lot of good games this season. My guess is he is plenty beat up. Chargers D is not good.

NFL QB Index: Ranking all 32 teams' primary starting quarterbacks at the end of the 2022 regular season

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-32-teams-primary-starting-quarterbacks-at-the-end-of-th
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Reminds me of Justin Wilcox.

sycasey
Just disband the Chargers franchise. Guys like Herbert, Ekeler, Keenan Allen, are being wasted on that cursed team.
WalterSobchak
Goff won at Seattle with a broken thumb and no Kupp then got canned. I'm just comparing the treatment and hype around these guys. Give me Goff over either of these two any day. This was a total choke job by both tonight. At least Lawrence got up off the mat I guess, but there are not a lot of teams left that would've allowed it.

WalterSobchak
sycasey said:

Just disband the Chargers franchise. Guys like Herbert, Ekeler, Keenan Allen, are being wasted on that cursed team.
Send Keenan to Detroit and I'd be happy.

BearSD
WalterSobchak said:

Goff won at Seattle with a broken thumb and no Kupp then got canned. I'm just comparing the treatment and hype around these guys. Give me Goff over either of these two any day. This was a total choke job by both tonight. At least Lawrence got up off the mat I guess, but there are not a lot of teams left that would've allowed it.
Lawrence got up off the mat... but almost killed his team's last-chance drive on the very first play of the drive. He was bailed out when a Charger dropped a sure interception that would have been Lawrence's 5th in the game.

WalterSobchak
BearSD said:

WalterSobchak said:

Lawrence got up off the mat... but almost killed his team's last-chance drive on the very first play of the drive. He was bailed out when a Charger dropped a sure interception that would have been Lawrence's 5th in the game.

Agreed. I'm just trying to imagine how this game plays out for Lawrence against the Chiefs or Bills or Niners. Or the Pats team Goff lost to respectably in the SB. Just pure unadulterated bloodbaths. Only positive was Marv playing well and getting the W. Keenan played well too but Herbert missed him WIDE OPEN for a TD that might've made a difference. Both of those guys run great routes. Go Bears!

Anarchistbear
Chargers coach will be canned this week. Plus five turnover margin and the team blows a 27 point lead. He even had a worse game than Tony Dungy.
WalterSobchak
Anarchistbear said:

Chargers coach will be canned this week. Plus five turnover margin and the team blows a 27 point lead. He even had a worse game than Tony Dungy.
Dungy was insufferable. Bosa wasn't complaining about a false start, it was the massive bear hug they didn't call!

Anarchistbear
WalterSobchak said:

Anarchistbear said:

Dungy was insufferable. Bosa wasn't complaining about a false start, it was the massive bear hug they didn't call!

One of the biggest comebacks in NFL history would excite most analysts under a 100 years old.
philbert
not a chargers fan but

BulaBear3cubs
Not that easy to catch a NFL qb pass meant to go 20-30 yards from 5-8 yards away as a D lineman. Even a NFL WR would have a hard time doing it. You ever play?
okaydo
philbert said:

not a chargers fan but

Yeah, tonight's loss has been devastating here in Los Angeles. All of my neighbors poured into the street after the game to express their anger and sadness. I don't know if L.A. will be able to recover.
okaydo
I read that only 2 teams interviewed Doug Pederson last year: The Saints over Zoom (because they were going to elevate the impressive Dennis Allen) and the Jaguars.

It's amazing that a head coach could go from winning a Super Bowl to being undesired.

From what I read, Goff's OC Ben Johnson, who was a TE coach 14 months ago, is interviewing with far more than 2 teams.

Which brings me to Brendan Staley. He went from outside linebacks coach with the Broncos to head coach of the Chargers within 13 months.

I guess there is something so intoxicating about a young guy with little experience and a lot of potential.

BearSD
BulaBear3cubs said:

Not that easy to catch a NFL qb pass meant to go 20-30 yards from 5-8 yards away as a D lineman. Even a NFL WR would have a hard time doing it. You ever play?
Van Noy is a linebacker.

He had both hands on the ball, and the pass was not thrown with super high velocity.

The intended receiver was only 6 yards behind Van Noy, not 20 or 30.

Here's the video.

WalterSobchak
FWIW I think you're both right. IMO it's both a bad read by Lawrence and a big ask to expect a rusher fighting off a cut to make that catch. I also think NFL playing experience is irrelevant in living rooms, bars, and internet message boards.

Moving on did I jinx Allen or what. 3 huge drops so far by his receivers.

calumnus
okaydo said:

I read that only 2 teams interviewed Doug Pederson last year: The Saints over Zoom (because they were going to elevate the impressive Dennis Allen) and the Jaguars.

It's amazing that a head coach could go from winning a Super Bowl to being undesired.

From what I read, Goff's OC Ben Johnson, who was a TE coach 14 months ago, is interviewing with far more than 2 teams.

Which brings me to Brendan Staley. He went from outside linebacks coach with the Broncos to head coach of the Chargers within 13 months.

I guess there is something so intoxicating about a young guy with little experience and a lot of potential.

There are proven great coaches. Everyone wants them.

If the goal is winning, and you can't get a proven winning coach, you don't want to hire a proven mediocrity or worse, you instead hire a young, unproven coach and hope they turn out to be great. Rinse and repeat.
okaydo

bearsandgiants
He should be the LIONS head coach.
philbert
Great news for Goff and the Lions!
okaydo
bearsandgiants said:

How do you know he'd be a good head coach?

bearsandgiants
okaydo said:

bearsandgiants said:

How do you know he'd be a good head coach?

He might not be, but the current coach seems like a doofus who doesn't really have control over the team. Never seen so many stupid penalties and mental mistakes. Let's just say a guy like Pete Carrol would have had this team hosting a playoff game, imo.
okaydo
One of these guys is still in the league. One is Goff's QB coach.

MSaviolives
Goff to the Pro Bowl.

Quote:

Goff is the second Lions quarterback to make the Pro Bowl in the past 50 years.
https://news.yahoo.com/jared-goff-added-pro-bowl-182959404.html
Ursine
MSaviolives said:

Goff to the Pro Bowl.

Quote:

Goff is the second Lions quarterback to make the Pro Bowl in the past 50 years.
https://news.yahoo.com/jared-goff-added-pro-bowl-182959404.html
Very happy for Jared. Went into a tough situation for a perennial losing team and almost got them into the playoffs. Felt he took too much blame with the Rams.
Bowlesman80
okaydo said:

philbert said:

back to Chargers talk to drop this:

When I first saw this, I know it would come back to bite them in the a**.

Why would you post this before winning at least 1 playoff game?
That's because they have forgotten their theme song.
"Just win, baby."
Cal88
- Sorry if this was posted earlier - Great interview of Goff as a SR by Gruden, who heaps a lot of praise towards Goff and recaps JG's career at Cal, talking about the Cal program also:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x457736

Also:

https://www.businessinsider.com/jared-goff-and-the-greatest-throw-in-the-history-of-throws-2016-4?amp

More recent praise of Goff from Gruden :

https://ramblinfan.com/2021/04/02/jon-gruden-thought-la-rams-only-traded-goff-for-stafford/amp/

okaydo
This article is from 2 years ago. I've never read it, but holy sh*t.

okaydo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.